Cornwall Football Forum

JOHN POPE

Dave James

Very upset to hear about the news of John, very familar figure throughout West Cornwall, I knew John through work at Cornwall Council, also seeing at him local games and supporting his son, from all at Hayle FC we send our sincere condonlences to Ross and all the family at this very sad time.

Anthony Reynolds

Very sad to hear the news today about John's passing.

I knew him firstly as a referee(he was a good one)and then as an Officer of the Mining Division Football League.I think that he was also a Divisional Representative on the CCFA.

Also met him through work,as Anthony says above,when he was voted onto the former Cornwall County Council and he served his local area with distinction.

Thoroughly nice man,always had time for a chat (especially about football) and he will be greatly missed in the Camborne-Redruth area where he so well known and well liked.

Condolences to John's family and friends from all at Chacewater FC and myself,Nigel Jewell.

Such terribly sad news, I knew John for many years through both cricket at Camborne and football. Had the pleasure of sharing a joke with him at Falmouths last game of the season. Sending Ross and family my sincere condolences. Will be sorely missed on the terraces.

Another true gentleman of cornish soccer has left us. One of the best referee's the county has seen & definatly one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. I will miss our sunday afternoon football chats in camborne tesco's. Condolences to all the family from everyone at Porthleven AFC.

Rest in peace John.

Just this second hear the terrible news

i first met John whilst in the county youth set-up 15/16 years ago and more recently through Camborne cricket club.

Its fair to say, both football and cricket in the county has lost one of the nicest people i've ever met.

Sincere condolences to Ross and all the family

Pete Davey

What sad news this is.

I first met John when I played for Falmouth with Ross and I took an instant likeing to him. He would drive a good 5 or 6 of us to the away games and it certainly helped us to prepare for the game ahead, always joining in with the banter.

My deepest thoughts are with Ross and his family at this sad time. God Bless

Rob Troon

A total shock when I was told the tragic news early this afternoon. I was only talking to John on Easter Monday at Truro City as he always had time to have a chat and comment on the local football scene.

I would also agree with the comments of Kevin Richards who suggested he was one of the best referee's around in his time.

Very sad news.

Condolences to all his family and friends from the whole of the Cornish footballing nation and beyond.

RIP John.

John was a fantastic ref, was always delighted to see his name in the programme before a game. Nine times out of ten he was right and you could always have a laugh, a joke, and an opinion with him. Terrific company on the county trips away and all round gentleman. One of the nicest people i've been priviliged to meet through football. Thinking of you Ross and all the family, you made him very proud mate.

Can't believe this, Total shock. John really was a fantastic chap and I only spoke to him about 3-4 weeks ago as he went to get his morning paper from Tesco Garage.

Grew up with Ross and Clarinda and my thoughts are with them at this awful time.

John Pope - a true Cornish Gent.

I first met John when I became good friends with Ross at Primary School. I ended up spending more time at his house than my own. John then become my Manager at Camborne Lions for several years. I have good memories of our regular trips to Argyle where Ross and I would be lucky to see the Kick Off as he seemed to know everyone. My fondest memory of John is when I watched him speaking to Glenn Hysen, Mike Hooper and Ronny Rosenthal like they were his next door neighbours.

John had time for everyone and everyone had time for him.

My thoughts are with you Dawn, Popey and Clarinda

Rest in peace John

Simon Lavis

Very shocked and sad to hear that John had passed away so suddenly.

Great bloke. Had some great times together especially with the County Youth on our matches 'up country'.

Had some great banter also about the 'wicket' at Camborne CC compaired with that at St.Austell CC. Where he reckoned it always rained.

John and Joe Whitford once washed the county youth kit in their hotel bath at Bradford after a truely muddy encounter at Ossett Town FC. They nearly clogged up the entire plumbing system with silt. He always had a wide grin on when i would remind him of that occassion. A real privilage to have known him.

R.I.P. John boy.

Just read on the Truro supporters site the funeral is on Friday 3rd. June at Camborne church 10-30am.

Such a tragic loss to Camborne and Cornwall .

To meet Johb anywhere Bickland or Tesco it was always a warm feeling and a guarantee of smiles and laughter.

The last I saw John (in good form) was the final game of the season where he came down to see Ross make his 200th appearance for Falmouth.

There is a good picture in the CCFA Centenary book of John in his Blue/white shirt after the 1965 defeat in the Cornwall Junior Cup Final for Pool v Cornwall Mills played at Mount Wise.

I know John was a top referee (an ex player referee) who could calm things down without any fuss letting spectaors to enjoy a flowing game.

I am sure John must have done a Cornwall Senior Cup Final-

1983-84 Liskeard Athletic v Millbrook at Priory Park 23rd.April (Edited 14/6/11)

Sincere condolences to closest family