Cornwall Football Forum

Another great Cornish football legend passes away

Dave Deacon

Very sad news this morning to be told that Tony Kellow died late last night.

Tony was a true goalscoring hero to come out of the county. Playing his football with Penzance and then Falmouth before turning professional with Exeter City before I think I'm right in saying moving for a six figure transfer fee to Blackpool.

Condolences to the family and close friends of Tony, RIP.

I'm sure there will be plenty of posts on this thread as many people recite their best moments and memories of knowing Tony. It's just such a shame it will be under these circumstances.

His playing stats (appearances and goals) :

1970-1973 Penzance AFC (perhaps one of our Penzance contributors may know please)

1973-1976 Falmouth Town 114 (126)

1976-1978 Exeter City 107 (40)

1978-1980 Blackpool 57 (23)

1980-1984 Exeter City 143 (61)

1984 Plymouth Argyle 10 (2)

1984 Swansea City 1 (0)

1984-1985 Newport County 20 (8)

1985-1988 Exeter City 82 (28)

* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.

It was with much sorrow that I learned this morning of the passing away over the weekend of one of Falmouth Town AFC's greatest players, Tony Kellow. I am sure that everyone who saw Tony play, not only for Falmouth, but Penzance, Exeter City and Blackpool will remember just what a lethal finisher he was.

My condolences go to his family, and I am sure that all at Falmouth Town share those feelings.

Charles Fittus

Oh so sorry to hear this stunning news-

I had the pleasure to follow Tony's career in Non League and Football League giving me lifelong memories.

He scored goals for fun and with his 'sidekick' Joe Scott you will never find a more lethal strikeforce in Cornish football.

65 goals in one season at Falmouth and the record scorer for Exeter City where he is a legend and cult hero even today.

Thanks for all those wonderful memories Tony and may the Kellow football family carry on the tradition.

Sincere condolences to closest family.

I am very saddened to hear of the passing of Tony Kellow He was known personally by me I went to school with his Elder Brother George & Sister Margaret,

he was a really nice person to know,

a local Budock Boy, he was a LEGEND In the Cornish Football world,

When he left Falmouth to go to Exeter we missed him but were proud that a local boy was progressing to a higher League,

Tony from a friend of yours rest in peace,

Hammers :c: :c:

Utterly shocked. I had become real friends with Tony over the last three years. He was Vice-Chairman of our Cornwall Commonwealth Games Committee and a passionate Cornishman through and through. When I sang "Trelawny" at Famouth gigs and Tony was there, he would stand with his hand on his heart.

I last saw him three weeks ago at his local, the Trelowarren Arms in Budock. At the end of the evening when I was loading the equipment into the van, Tony came up to me on his way home, gave me a big hug and said; " see' ee later my 'andsome".

I can't believe he is gone.

A true Cornish legend. My most sincere condolences to the family.

Sincere condolences to Tonys family.First came across Tony at a Bugle game when we would "kick around " and try winding up the opposition as young lads.We knew he was something special then and he would always have a laugh with us.A fantastic striker and gent who when our paths crossed over the years would always have kind words to say and time for a chat.If he was at his peak today he would be worth millions as few stikers around nowadays with his natural goalscoring ability.RIP Tony :c:

Very sad to hear the news about Tony. I was fortunate to be managed by Tony for a couple of seasons as a youngster at Wendron, In fact I am pretty sure he was the only reason I got into the County youth squad after he had a few words in a few ears. I only had the pleasure of seeing him play in training sessions every now and then but he never lost his goal scoring touch. He was also a very good sports injuries guy and was fantastic to me when I suffered a knee injury for at least 3 months he would treat my injury at the club 3 times a week all for the price of a pint a true gentlemen. He would tell me many stories about his football career and offer much advice just a shame I did not have the ability to make the most of the advice. Then one day he met my Grandad who he remembered and looked up to as an ex pro that was the day I saw just what a down to earth guy he was, my injury did not get much treatment for that session which seemed to me to last for about 3 hours of 2 ex pros swapping stories. Now that both have passed those stories will stay with me forever. RIP Tony a true gentlemen and thankyou for the advice and time you spent with me 12-14 years ago. My greatest sympathy to all his family and close friends.

My dad first took me to Bickland Park in 1975 to watch a brilliant team called Falmouth Town, i was 7 years old at the time and although i lived in Truro i become hooked on this club and in particular one player stood out in my young mind who would become a hero of mine forever called Tony Kellow.I could'nt wait for my next match every fortnight to watch this centre forward who seemed to score from anywhere,any angle,he seemed to just pass it into the net with such ease. I always followed his career after that and watched him excel at Exeter before going on to Blackpool for £125,000 which was a fortune in those days but Tony was worth every penny and more. Fast forward to 1988 and the legend had decided to hang up his scoring boots and had just retired from City when i followed in his footsteps from Falmouth Town to Exeter where he is still an idol today. It all went well at first and in front of me ive got one of my old scrapbooks 'New Kellow scores on City Debut' and 'New Kellow Shines with hat-trick against Rovers' the local Express and Echo loved the same connection we had but unfortunately for me that's where the similarity ended! In truth i was a very poor second best to the great man and although i was honoured and privileged to be mentioned in the same breath,i was always slightly embarrased as well. It was great to catch up with Tony many years later in the clubhouse at Wendron and have a long chat one evening and i told him he ruined my career because i could'nt even make my own headlines while he was around and he told me there was only ever one Tony Kellow anyway! And that's the best way to sum up such a sad day ''THERES ONLY ONE TONY KELLOW'' what a goalscorer and what a man. Much love to Phil,Sue and all the family,we are thinking about you loads. Rappo and Rach X

My memories of Tony Kellow go back to when he was playing For Exeter in the 80s, my sons were avid fans of his as was I. When he retired he ran a pub in Exeter near where my father lived who became a friend of his. Tony ran darts compos and my partner and I used to take part in these. Lovely man and brilliant footballer, believe he is Exeters all time top scorer, condolences to his family and another Legend in the everlasting Football Club

As a young lad my Dad used to take me to Fal Town to watch the Great team of the early 70's. I remember the large crowds and huge amount of cars parked everywhere near the ground. Nothing was more certain than Tony Kellow and Joe Scott scoring, usually both, several goals each in the Western League. There was a real family atmosphere with lots of volunteers keeping and running the ground for nothing in return.

When Tony moved to Exeter, my Dad and his mates made the occasional trip to see Tony play. I was outside the ground with my autograph book. Tony spotted familier faces and came over for a chat with the Cornish lads. He took my autograph book off me and went into the ground. After the game it was returned to me fully signed up by all the Exeter and Wolves players. Still got it now. How many pros would go to that trouble now?

Cornish Legend

RIP

:c:

Oh so sorry to hear this stunning news-

I had the pleasure to follow Tony's career in Non League and Football League giving me lifelong memories.

He scored goals for fun and with his 'sidekick' Joe Scott you will never find a more lethal strikeforce in Cornish football.

65 goals in one season at Falmouth and the record scorer for Exeter City where he is a legend and cult hero even today.

Thanks for all those wonderful memories Tony and may the Kellow football family carry on the tradition.

Sincere condolences to closest family.

!973-74 Tony Kellow 65 goals from 53.Apps Joey Scott 36 goals from 45 Apps

1975-76 Tony Kellow 61 goals from 61 Apps. Joey Scott 40 goals from 55 Apps

In two seasons they amassed 202 goals between them

• 3 months later...

Having spent some years playing for Falmouth Town FC back in the seventies it is with shock that I have just found out about Tony Kellow passing away! I would not have been any the wiser if I have not come across this site whilst surfing the net yesterday.

Sad news indeed as he was a true hero to west country football. I came to play at Bickland just before Tony left for the professional game, a great talent full of drive and a winners mentality, never gave up as well as a great person to have around the club. If there is anyone who would be kind enough to pass on my sincere commiserations to close family and friends I would be eternally grateful. I have many great and fond memories of both Tony and the Falmouth squad at that time in general, it is a pity that such crushing news was the catalyst for such memories returning. There were some fine players at the club at this time, Manely, Rich, Freeman, Cheggers (on the verge of retiring), Carter, Helley, Horrocks, Etherage and so on, sorry if the spelling of surnames offend anyone, and of course Scott (scottie!) have more than enough tales about Joe that will remain locked away for the good of all lolo!

Wow, time has flown.....sad news indeed!

Peace and good health

Richard Francis

Having spent some years playing for Falmouth Town FC back in the seventies it is with shock that I have just found out about Tony Kellow passing away! I would not have been any the wiser if I have not come across this site whilst surfing the net yesterday.

Sad news indeed as he was a true hero to west country football. I came to play at Bickland just before Tony left for the professional game, a great talent full of drive and a winners mentality, never gave up as well as a great person to have around the club. If there is anyone who would be kind enough to pass on my sincere commiserations to close family and friends I would be eternally grateful. I have many great and fond memories of both Tony and the Falmouth squad at that time in general, it is a pity that such crushing news was the catalyst for such memories returning. There were some fine players at the club at this time, Manely, Rich, Freeman, Cheggers (on the verge of retiring), Carter, Helley, Horrocks, Etherage and so on, sorry if the spelling of surnames offend anyone, and of course Scott (scottie!) have more than enough tales about Joe that will remain locked away for the good of all lolo!

Peace and good health

Richard Francis

Good to hear from a former Falmouth Town player of their great past, although under better circumstances would obviously have been better.

Dave Deacon

(CORNISH SOCCER)

Peace and good health

Richard Francis

Good to hear from a former Falmouth Town player of their great past, although under better circumstances would obviously have been better.

Dave Deacon

(CORNISH SOCCER)

RICHARD FRANCIS

Falmouth Town 1974-75 to 1977-78 162 Appearances 73 goals

21st. on all time Falmouth goalscorers list