Cornwall Football Forum

Gary Neville announces retirement as does Cornish old Git

oldasitgets

"About time too!" I hear you cry as Billy Lamin announces his long overdue retirement from playing.

May I sincerely thank everyone that I've encountered during my 45 year, totally undistinguished, football career.

Can I say that I have enjoyed every game and had more pleasure from the game than any professional could possibly have hoped for? In Cornwall. I've played for; Camborne Plough, Barripper, Godolphin Arms(Sunday) Nancegollan(Sunday) and for the last 18 years have run , and played for, Crowntown with Crowan in the Sunday League, insisting that they win the Sporting trophy with boring regularity - season after season

Yes, there have been some Muppets - but usually a smile and a bit of banter has sorted them out.

I have played a few times this season, but have reached the point where experience and positional sense can't compensate for the loss of pace and fitness. Even in Sunday league Division 2. Add to that, health problems, I have to be realistic and accept that I ain't coming back. Still, 62 isn't a bad age to finish at.

All the best to Cornish football - at all levels. Thanks for the journey

• 4 weeks later...