Cornwall Football Forum

Are Spurs a "big" club?

gillo10

To avoid thread takeover and steel West Hams glory I thought I would ask the question in a new thread.

In no way is this a dig at Spurs, just a simple question.

Personally I do not feel they can be counted as big just yet but certain die hard fans clearly do.

Spurfect, or other Spurs fans, please explain how and why Spurs are already a "big" club and are not just a potentially "big" club. If this could be done in a sensible and intellctual manner with actual facts to back up your points then Im sure the forum readers would be very appreciative. Im quite open minded and more than willing to be proved wrong and will happily admit to being wrong if your intelligence proves so. Please be warned though, some people may disagree with your arguments and also make a comment, this may not be actual critisism of you personally or your club but might just actually be looking at the points from another perspective.

Spurs were a 'big' club in 1960/1961 when they won the double, but they have not won the league since. They are no longer a 'big' club, but if they win the league or champions league they would be regarded as a 'big' club again.

It's like Notts Forest in the late 70's early 80's. They won 2 European Cups are were a 'big' club at that time, but surely noone would argue that they are a big club now!

I Just found this while i was trawling the internet, Most successful clubs overall (1871 present) Makes for very interesting reading about who is and who is not a top club.

If you read the article and scroll down to the records table this should give you all an indication of who is and who is not a big club.

I will just say though it depends on what you class as a big club? (Trophies? Size? Fan base? Staff? Money? Etc?)

The records in the link i posted would suggest that these are the most successful clubs but not necessarily the biggest.

From what i can see if you based it on total trophies won then Tottenham would in fact be joint 4th with Everton and they would even beat Chelsea, But then do you base the biggest clubs being the ones who have won the English Championship/Premiership in which case Tottenham would be 14th? (Even Huddersfield Town beat them) :D

Just out of interrest i have also posted this The 20 Most Important Football Clubs In The World This article is very interesting and if you think your club will be in there then think again.

Before I even enter this debate.

I will ask the same question,that winston asked.

All you people that dont think Spurs are a big club.

What constitute a BIG club.

Your the one who called Spurs a big club, so the onus is on you to give a definition.

Interesting that your finding it difficult!

As I stated in the other thread, for me, a big club is one that is regularly fighting for the top trophies, mounting serious title challenges, reaching cup finals/semis and are always a force. The main point is that this happens REGULARLY. As Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are the only teams to do this in recent history I would consider those to be the only "big" clubs in our greta nation. Man City obviously have a great chance of joining that group as do Spurs IF they can repeat last years "success" year after year.

Over to you Spurfect (this should be interesting)

How long do Liverpool have left to be a "big" club? Can we still claim it if we win the Europa League this year and finish 11th? :mellow:

Criteria to get started:

1. Consistent performance over a period of five-ten years (to prevent the one-hit wonders)

2. Finishing in the top five (European competitions places. Bonus points for Champs League -- which, as we know, isn't really for "champions")

3. Consistent appearances in the semi-final rounds of the FA Cup and Carling Cup (winning one or the other about one-third of the possible times)

4. Broad fan base (not just the catchement area. Bonus points for international jersey availability).

5. Presence on the roster of three or more members of top-ten ranked national teams.

SPURS ARE A BIG CLUB.

Spurs have been in the Premiership since it started,only failing twice to finish in the top half of the table.THATS CONSISTENCY.

Over the last 5 seasons Spurs have finished 5th twice and 4th once.Collect a few points for European football,plus a few bonus points

for Champions League.

Xembla,did'nt say how far to go back for Cup Comps.

F.A CUP WINS. lEAGUE CUP/CARLING CUP

Man Utd 11 wins. Liverpool 7 wins

Arsenal 10 wins. A.Villa 5 wins

Spurs 8 wins. Man Utd 4 wins

Liverpool 7 wins. Spurs 4 wins

A.Villa 7 wins. Nottm.For.4 wins

Chelsea 6 wins Chelsea 4 wins.

Fan Base is MASSIVE WORLDWIDE for Spurs.

Players playing Nationally for a Country in the top 10.We have quite a few in England and Croatia Teams.

Plenty fitting that CRITERIA.

SPURS ARE A BIG CLUB. (BOLLOCKS)

Spurs have been in the Premiership since it started,only failing twice to finish in the top half of the table.THATS CONSISTENCY. (BUT NO PREMIERSHIP TROPHY)

Over the last 5 seasons Spurs have finished 5th twice and 4th once.Collect a few points (WHAT AIRMILES FFS) for European football,plus a few bonus points for Champions League. (THE BIG CLUBS HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR YEARS NOT JUST 5 SEASONS)

Fan Base is MASSIVE WORLDWIDE for Spurs. (FFS THERE ARE A LOT OF TEAMS SUPPORTED WORLD WIDE SO JUST HOW MANY WORLDWIDE FANS DO YOU HAVE?)

COCKerkneeboy,you are a t---,and really show your true colours.

What are you on here for.?We are discussing BIG CLUBS.

Thought it was boring,but you always reply first.

But just to simplify things for you ,I will try and explain to you.

If you can read.Xembla's criteria did say about being consistent over the last 5-10 year period.

As for worldwide fans you great girl,would you like me to travel around and count them.

Spurs have several Club Branches all over the world,many European Countries,USA,Australia,S.Africa plus Eastern parts of the world.

Do you how many West Ham fans you have.?If so can you name them all.See,I can be smart.

Surely before anyone shouts off about thier club being 'BIG' they should take a few things into consideration like ........

Recent success, in all competitions // Length of time in the ‘top-flight’ // Number of trophies won during club’s entire history // Stadium size and perceived fan base // Financial power

So i make that Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea as the 4 'biggest' clubs. :blink:

and as for fanbases world wide then surely Manchester United has the biggest. I know Arsenal for many years had a huge fan base in Africa :rolleyes:

Oh and spudfect........... don't try and be smart it don't suit you :smiley20: :thumbsup:

No one is sticking to the criteria.I DID.

Tell me the when Liverpool won the Premiership in the Last 5-10 years.?

Who has won more F.A.Cups than Liverpool?

So if Liverpool are a Big Club[which I think they are]then why not Spurs.

Agree Man Utd,Chelsea,and Arsenal are big clubs,Liverpool and Spurs are BIG.Aston Villa and Everton are massive Clubs.

Notts Forest,Derby County,Leeds Utd are Big Clubs in the Championship.

Southampton is a Big Club in Division 1.

Celtic and Rangers are Big clubs in Scotland.

These Clubs are all big ,but for many different reasons.

going on current form and results etc then arsenal are far from a big team anita, I think spurs are one of only two clubs operating at a profit. when the new rules come in with regards to transfers many clubs with struggle as they can only spend what they earn and not the amount of money invested by billionaires.

Guest mariner

Surely it has just got to be about winning trophies thats real success and in turn labels you a big club, why should the bank balance or fanbase come into question. So for me its just Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool in the last 5 years going back 10 years is clutching at straws, my opinion only and not looking to offend other members!

COCKerkneeboy,you are a t---,and really show your true colours.

What are you on here for.?We are discussing BIG CLUBS.

Thought it was boring,but you always reply first.

But just to simplify things for you ,I will try and explain to you.

If you can read.Xembla's criteria did say about being consistent over the last 5-10 year period.

As for worldwide fans you great girl,would you like me to travel around and count them.

Spurs have several Club Branches all over the world,many European Countries,USA,Australia,S.Africa plus Eastern parts of the world.

Do you how many West Ham fans you have.?If so can you name them all.See,I can be smart.

Spurfect, as you know my true colours are claret and blue fella.

As for what i am here for then let me tell you so that you understand it once and for all, I have been on this forum for a number of years and also played in a charity game for the forum, I know a lot of the forum members personally which is proberly more than can be said for you because you just sit with your phone or keyboard in hand from many miles away and spout shit.

I have been a member of this forum well before you were and have many decent conversations with proper people with proper views.

I reply because i can and always get an answer from you which is usualy an insult about my club or to myself, Yes i do the same but if you read back through some of the topics you will also see that i held out an olive branch to you in the hope you would take it but no you just threw it back in my face which only tells me one thing about you chap.

You have entered the forum and come up with some good posts but your constant spouting on about how good the spuds are becuase they have had a decent season or two is beyond me, You even take the time to slag off other members on the forum and there teams just because they have a view and when it is not what you want to see you just let rip, Realy fella you are the lowest of the low and i would not give you the time of day if you ever needed my help (I know that will not happen though).

As for being smart well do not get me started, If you would realy like to know about the HAMMERS fans world wide then click on this link and you will see for yourself West Ham Fans Worldwide

Big clubs in my eyes win league titles, They also win champions leagues/European Cups as well as F.A Cups and Mickey mouse cups and with this in mind your sort of a big club because you have won the F.A Cup and the Mickey mouse cup (Which is now above you) but tell me when you last won the premiership or champions league?

Would you class West Ham United as being a big club? We have won 3 F.A Cups 1 Charity Shield (Shared) 1 Cup Winners Cup 1 Intertoto Cup and best premiership finish was 5th 1998-99 season.

Big club my arse, Your team is an average club in a big pond.

Next thing you know you will be telling us all how Tottenham are on a level par with clubs such as A.C Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Etc Etc.

Oh i forgot you have beaten the current Champions league holders already this season which makes you the best team in the tournament?

One question to all members though, This thread started as Are Spurs a "big" club? i do not see why it should be over the last 5 years surely a big club is a club that have done well since they were formed?

If i were a betting man i would also say that spurfect will either come back with a smart arse answer to my post or he will say nothing at all, Odds on favorite in my book, The odds are stacked if you think i will get a sensible reply.

Champions League was over 5 years ago.

I thought Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005? as it is now only 2010 then that makes it 5 years or are we being picky and saying that Liverpool won the Champions league on 25th May 2005 which was 5 years 6 months and 8 days ago?

Mr Spurfect, you are such a chimp, your thread said past 5 years. At least when we went 3 nil down we won the final, even if it was on penalties. It has been recognised as one of the greatest comebacks, we played as a team, unlike your lot who rely on one player, Mr Bale.

And we have won the trophy 5 times.

Enjoy your time in the Champion League, could be your last.

Birmingham game could be interesting for you today. Either way sure you will have an excuse when they loose

Cockerkneeboy,

Well I think you have said it all,

football is a funny game, who would have thought that WEST HAM would have beaten the Mighty Man U in the Carling Cup,

One could go on for ever trying to prove that your club is the best,

But like you Cockerkneeboy I have no time for those People that spoil this Forum by getting personal,

I have taken advice from this Forum, that is, I may comment On Spurfect's remarks but I no longer reply to him in person,

Try It,

Hammers :c::yahoo: :c:

Cockerkneeboy,

Well I think you have said it all,

football is a funny game, who would have thought that WEST HAM would have beaten the Mighty Man U in the Carling Cup,

One could go on for ever trying to prove that your club is the best,

But like you Cockerkneeboy I have no time for those People that spoil this Forum by getting personal,

I have taken advice from this Forum, that is, I may comment On Spurfect's remarks but I no longer reply to him in person,

Try It,

Hammers :c::yahoo::c:

It is funny that he has not come on abouts todays result at Birmingham.

Who have your lads got this weekend

Must apologise to the armchair supporters on here,for not making a prompt response to my teams game yesterday.

If you were not to busy with your snide and sarcastic remarks,you would know I am a Tottenham season ticket holder,and was at Birmingham

yesterday WATCHING my team.

So now I have sometime.I will reply.

Tottenham dominated the first half,and maybe should have wrapped up the game.

2nd half we sat back a little,and Birmingham never gave up and got the equalizer.

With Birmingham's home record of just one defeat at St.Andrews in the past 12 months.Not a bad result.

If YOU lot told me, we would collect 7pts from our last three games

of Ar23nal AWAY,Liverpool Home and Birmingham Away.I would have taken your arm off.

So looking at the general picture.With our massive injury problems we have had this season and the extra pressure of Champions League football.

Which people said we would struggle with,Im more than happy.We move on to Twente F C with a chance of winning our Champions League Group.

Then on to the Lane,to take on Chelsea.IF we can win that,and Man Utd play Ar23nal,we would be right in the mix.

The bottom line is, this Tottenham FOLLOWER,is more than HAPPY.

Our record against Chelsea at the Lane over the past few seasons ,is good.

So I think we have a good chance.

What bothers me,is that Chelsea got to turn their fortunes around sometime.

Lets hope its not next week.

Rumours are,that Frank Lampard could be back.

Its a big derby game for us,and a lot of Spurs fans regard this as bigger than Ar23nal.

The crowd will certainly be up for it.

We will wait and see.

Rumours via Talksport are that Lamps may not play again this season!

After the pathetic display ydy, I will make 3 predictions :

1. Spurs will beat Chelsea next Sun

2. The following Sun, MU will thrash Chelsea at the Bridge.

3. Ancellotti will be home for Xmas

The party is well and truly over.

Bloody hell,baldy ,thats rather dramatic,to say the least.

Dont be so hard,on the Club.

Big blow,if the Lampard rumours are true.

Looking at it from Spurs point of view,there's no better time to play Chelsea.

With both BIG clubs away on Champions League duties in the week.My prediction is a 1-1 draw.

Which means Chelsea have not won a Premier league game since Wilkins departure.

Will give you the F.A.Cup.

Champions League was over 5 years ago.

Spurs have been to 2 cup finals.

Beating Chelsea in one,then losing to Man Utd the following season.

So as I said ,if Liverpool are a big club.?

Liverpool won the Champions league in 2005. I'm no mathmetician but isn't it 2010 at the moment?

so i make that five years. 2007 another outing to the final of Europes top competition although only runners up on that day.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Liverpool did win the Champions League Cup,in MAY 2005.The end of the 2004-2005 season.

It is now December 2010.Make that 5 years,6 months.

Since then there has been FIVE wINNERS OF THE COMPETITION.

So Liverpool have NOT won the Champions League in the last 5 years.

Correct me if Im wrong.

Liverpool did win the Champions League Cup,in MAY 2005.The end of the 2004-2005 season.

It is now December 2010.Make that 5 years,6 months.

Since then there has been FIVE wINNERS OF THE COMPETITION.

So Liverpool have NOT won the Champions League in the last 5 years.

Correct me if I am wrong, 10 take away 5 is, let me see, 5.

You asked the question "what have Liverpool FC won in the last 5 years" not the last 5 seasons.

I'm sure it wasn't intentional but Imperfect missed out a few facts about Toshingham's Champions League campaign so far:-

Least number of games won by any of the group winners

Least points total of all the group winners

Most goals conceded of all the group winners

I hear Harry wants to change the spuds motto to 'football doesn't have to be taxing!'

Goldeneye,that is a real feeble effort.

Are those stats taken from this season's competition,or the whole history of the competition.?

If they are from this season,the stats are irrelevant,only half the groups have been completed.

So I will reply to that tomorrow.

hedgerow,agree the hard work do start now,but we could not have done any more,to give us the best chance.

No more Champions league until February,so back to the bread and butter,Chelsea on Sunday.

Must push on now,to make sure a top 4 placed is secured again.

Thats what BIG clubs do.

Can I just say, it has to be massive congratulations to Spurs for their achievement in their group. To finish top of that group was probably not in the dreams of the "level-headed" Spurs supporters, just a hope of qualifying. To top it is just brilliant.

For 3 of the 4 English teams to top their groups (so far) is great. I like it, even though when Spurs win, any smile on my face would be through gritted teeth! But credit where credit is due.

I don't hold out too much hope for Arsenal topping their group tonight, although I will be staggered if they do not qualify. Playing a team, at home, that has only managed to score once in their previous 5 games, conceding 10 and losing all of them, well, if we can't win that, we do not deserve to be in the next round.