Cornwall Football Forum

3g Astro Turf Pitch

I just want to pose a question and am hoping that someone can answer it for me.

We (West Cornwall Res) have a home game fixtured in the cup against Mullion tomorrow, being one of only a few clubs in the area with both a grass and artificial 3g pitch we were hoping that if our grass pitch was unplayable we would be able to play the game on our astro so at least everyone involved could get a game of football and it will prevent any fixture back logs.

We received a letter from the Cornish FA at the beginning of the season that stated that 3g pitches have now been approved to be used by clubs WITHOUT th need to get the away teams permission. Previously both teams and the ref had to agree for the match to be played on Astro.

As Mullion have basically refused to play us on our home pitch do we now get an automatic place in the next round? As I believe the rules state that the away team no longer have a choice in the matter?

It just seems sad to me that there are now going to be 22+ players needlessly not being able to play a game of football tomorrow! I would also like to hear the reason for not wanting to play on the pitch? Do they believe we will have an advantage because we train on it? If that is the case where does this logic stop? Can we refuse to play down at Mullion because we feel that they will have an advantage because we don't train on grass and they do? Obviously we would not do that but just wondering what people opinions on this are?

Haha, that part of the post wasn't to be taken seriously I was simply trying to make my point that surely every home team will have an advantage over the away team because they are used to their own pitch, regardless of whether it is grass or 3g. Do you happen to have an answer to my original question of what happens now in the situation that Mullion don't want to play?

Got to agree with Jeff, with the state of some of the 'pitches' other teams have playing on a flat FIFA approved pitch which all teams have access to now with the number of them on the rise must be a plus, the ball rolls well, there aren't any divets which could break an ankle and it is playable no matter what the weather is like. For those who have never played on it u are welcome to come and see it and make ur mind up, they are no longer the sand based solid hockey ones. It amazes me that it's ok for professional leagues and every single British academy but not ok for Cornish football. Absolute joke.

I just want to pose a question and am hoping that someone can answer it for me.

We (West Cornwall Res) have a home game fixtured in the cup against Mullion tomorrow, being one of only a few clubs in the area with both a grass and artificial 3g pitch we were hoping that if our grass pitch was unplayable we would be able to play the game on our astro so at least everyone involved could get a game of football and it will prevent any fixture back logs.

We received a letter from the Cornish FA at the beginning of the season that stated that 3g pitches have now been approved to be used by clubs WITHOUT th need to get the away teams permission. Previously both teams and the ref had to agree for the match to be played on Astro.

As Mullion have basically refused to play us on our home pitch do we now get an automatic place in the next round? As I believe the rules state that the away team no longer have a choice in the matter?

It just seems sad to me that there are now going to be 22+ players needlessly not being able to play a game of football tomorrow! I would also like to hear the reason for not wanting to play on the pitch? Do they believe we will have an advantage because we train on it? If that is the case where does this logic stop? Can we refuse to play down at Mullion because we feel that they will have an advantage because we don't train on grass and they do? Obviously we would not do that but just wondering what people opinions on this are?

Firstly on The 3G pitch can you wear normal football boots with studs? If not then thats the reason there, it's not fair to ask a whole team to buy new boots to Suit The pitch. If you can use studs then fine. I for one would refuse to play on it if it would mean some players not being able to play. Different story if it takes a stud.

Most people i know that have played on an astroturf pitch are full of praise for it. echocing what a fdo said its perfectly flat. Not often will u find that at junior level. it helps the league out as there is no back log of fixtures! the russian national team have played several internationals on a 3G pitch which purley shows how acceptable they are!!! a lot of county youth games are played on the pitch to youngsters not afraid of a few scrathes on there knees. As for west cornwall having an advantage wouldnt that mean qwe would have 100% record on it??? guess again! i think people should man up grab a pair of moldys or astros (which 9 0ut of 10 people own) slap a bit of vaseline on your kness and go and enjoy a game of football which saturdays is all about!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest mauricio

Our manager felt that it would be unfair for us to play on the 3g pitch as no one on our team has ever played a game on it. I was a bit unsure about playing there to be fair as i have never played on such surface.

I believe that Mullion was given the choice so i cant see what the problem is. I thought teams could choose to play or not to play on a 3g pitch but i only know what i have been told.

It's not like playing on ice or in mud, these pitches have been specifically designed to play how a grass pitch 'should' play. Although with the state of some of the pitches in Cornwall our 3g pitch is closer to grass than a lot of 'real' pitches. Maybe it would feel unfamiliar to you because you are used to playing on a pot holed sloppy pitch?

I'm going on what I've been told, that you can no longer refuse to play on a 3g pitch. These pitches are used by international teams, champions league games have been played on them and football academies across the whole of the country use them. Unfortunately its the same old blazer brigade in Cornwall stuck in their ways and who are always hesitant to accept change even if it is for the good of the game.

We usually try and play on the grass pitch purely to avoid situations like this, however if you guys want to play it on the astro im sure that it wouldn't be a problem. If we get any more weather like this we might not even have a choice anyway!

It's good to see someone willing to try something new at least :smiley20:

If you can't play football on a 3G pitch, then you shouldn't be playing football! The most perfect surface in any weather conditions, the only teams it will be a disadvantage too are thugs who go out to hurt opposing players as the burns on their knees will be sore for a few days!! Just grow a pair, turn up and play football, I guarantee you will go away after having enjoyed playing on it!

It's not like playing on ice or in mud, these pitches have been specifically designed to play how a grass pitch 'should' play. Although with the state of some of the pitches in Cornwall our 3g pitch is closer to grass than a lot of 'real' pitches. Maybe it would feel unfamiliar to you because you are used to playing on a pot holed sloppy pitch?

I'm going on what I've been told, that you can no longer refuse to play on a 3g pitch. These pitches are used by international teams, champions league games have been played on them and football academies across the whole of the country use them. Unfortunately its the same old blazer brigade in Cornwall stuck in their ways and who are always hesitant to accept change even if it is for the good of the game.

You cannot refuse to play on 3g ONLY if your competition (league, cup etc.) has a rule that addresses it. As you well know, in the WCSFL and probably Mining/ Fal Helston, there is no such rule. It has been decided in the WCSFL that the visiting club has the choice of whether or not to to play on it. Until we have a rule, that seems to be the fairest approach. The answer, of course, is to propose such a rule change for your Leagues. BUT, if history has anything to say, clubs will just moan about rules/ decisions and then do bugger all about changing them. That's how the CCFA has managed to get itself into a position where it can just change its rules without even consulting the members - no one did anything to prevent them. Apathy rules.

(Please note that, if you are proposing a rule change it has to be with the League Secretary by 1st March so that all the correct procedures can be completed before the AGM)

AND, Ballsax, you'd hardly describe me as a thug or a bully-boy but I can't play on the stuff. I don't have the skill, speed or fitness. I can just about cope on a muddy, uneven field where the erratic bounce and slower game, keeps me in touch. It's a youngsters' surface and youngster I ain't! (Unlike most of West Cornwall's players)

Thanks for the advice Bill, having spoken to Dan we did receive notification from the FA at the beginning of the season but alas the leagues have stalled on passing the rule change at a local level. These are probably the same people that gave us 2 free Saturdays and only 1 midweek game at the beginning of the season while we still had good weather and daylight in the evenings. I won't be surprised if we have a back log of fixtures to fulfil if this recent weather is a sign of what to expect all winter, a problem which of course could be avoided if we could use our astro turf pitch! :P

I think we will be chasing a decision on this before the leagues merge as well as a change to the substitutions rule. This is off topic but to be allowed to name 5 subs and only use 3 is madness. The whole point of local football is to try and increase participation in the game. Having a large squad like ourselves it is always hard to take 5 subs to a match knowing you are going to be wasting 2 of the lads afternoon by not being able to play them. Either decrease the number of subs you are allowed to name or preferably increase the number of subs you can use. Any other sides agree with me on this one?

Thanks for the advice Bill, having spoken to Dan we did receive notification from the FA at the beginning of the season but alas the leagues have stalled on passing the rule change at a local level. These are probably the same people that gave us 2 free Saturdays and only 1 midweek game at the beginning of the season while we still had good weather and daylight in the evenings. I won't be surprised if we have a back log of fixtures to fulfil if this recent weather is a sign of what to expect all winter, a problem which of course could be avoided if we could use our astro turf pitch! :P

I think we will be chasing a decision on this before the leagues merge as well as a change to the substitutions rule. This is off topic but to be allowed to name 5 subs and only use 3 is madness. The whole point of local football is to try and increase participation in the game. Having a large squad like ourselves it is always hard to take 5 subs to a match knowing you are going to be wasting 2 of the lads afternoon by not being able to play them. Either decrease the number of subs you are allowed to name or preferably increase the number of subs you can use. Any other sides agree with me on this one?

The substitutes rule is the most stupid one in adult, grass-roots football , rivaled only by the "visible undergarments" moronosity (just made up an appropriate word.)

I'm not arguing about the number, though the more the better. To increase participation use rolling subs. Then old farts like me can do 20 minutes, have a break, then have another 20 minutes. Meanwhile, another old fart (yes there are others) can have the other 20 minutes sessions. (we can flip a coin for the last 10 minutes or even play 22 1/2 mins at a time) This also avoids the very dangerous, and common, situation of trying to persuade an injured player to play on as you've used all the subs and, logically,(irony there) any player substituted cannot play any further part of the game.

Adult men's football is the ONLY football where a competition can't elect to use rolling subs. (And in Wales, mixed adult football is allowed, so Wales is not all stupid)

from recent history some teams struggle to get 8 players let alone 5 subs :P would it be even more of a farce if say illogan were allowed to use 5 rolling subs :wacko:

There is a pernicious cycle that encourages a lack of participation - due to the current stupid substitutes rule. Players turn up and, because they aren't in favour or wonderful, get a 10 mins "run out" or even sit on the bench for 90 minutes - week after week. Except that after a few weeks they, understandably, just stop turning up. Your bog standard pub side automatically loses players until there are about a dozen regulars left. Your Illogans, with loads of players signed, can turn out 14 players a week for the season. (but still "lose" loads.) In your pub side, what happens next is a couple get injured or go on holiday, and the teams can't get 11 onto the pitch.

If you were allowed rolling subs, you could try players out,rehabilitate injured players, if there is a late injury, bring a replacement back on and, most important, give all your players a decent time on the pitch.

So, far from making "more of a farce" the use of rolling subs would allow the small clubs to compete with the bigger clubs. With 5 rolling subs 16 players can feel it was worth turning up. With 3 "standard" subs only 12 or 13 are likely to participate.

I think you should be able to use 5 subs, the problem at small clubs is keeping a squad together, made twice as difficult by lads not getting a game . Everyone knows a team can't go through a season with 11 players but 14 is tricky too. A few injuries then a wedding weekend or a couple of work absentees and your playing with 10 because the guy who starts the season number 15 , 16 or 17 won't be still coming after weekend number 3 of taking off a clean kit . We've loaned out one of our lads to Storm that wasn't in the 14 this season and last year sent two down to Ludvan when they were picking up the pieces of Madrongate part 1. With out a second team we can only keep 14 happy . At this level of football all you want is a game of football and no one should ever have the humiliation of taking off an unused kit.

I think that you've highlighted the problem. "the Leagues have stalled on passing the rule change" You, the clubs are the bloody leagues NOT the blazers The League Committees have to do what the clubs say. (Within the stupid limits the F.A. graciously allows.) Someone has to propose the changes. They can't just happen. Clubs just can't be bothered and so we get situations like yours when you're blaming "The League" when you're at least as much at fault.

Sorry to be critical but that's the way it is.

I think that you've highlighted the problem. "the Leagues have stalled on passing the rule change" You, the clubs are the bloody leagues NOT the blazers The League Committees have to do what the clubs say. (Within the stupid limits the F.A. graciously allows.) Someone has to propose the changes. They can't just happen. Clubs just can't be bothered and so we get situations like yours when you're blaming "The League" when you're at least as much at fault.

But my question is would we have the support of the other clubs in the league? From the response on this topic it seems a lot are reluctant to even try the astro. I'll definitely make sure that we try and push this through at the next meeting.

Just out of interest the pitch was not playable as we were told at 11 0 clock yesterday as the guy with the key could not get in from perranporth cos of snow so u wouldnt of played anyway. As for football mud and grass all day thanks, astro for training not for playing

So therefore this makes this thread irrelevant if they couldnt play it on anyway? Im the 2nd team manager and played 8 a side matches on 3g up at clifton college in the bristol leagues. Lovely surface but did get some beauty burns from all the sliding around! Yes they are great surfaces but as Marksy says i've grown up playing football on mud and grass and i think 100% of players would choose this everytime. I dont get the argument of fixture back logs as EVERY season there is ALWAYS a back log (rememeber you have to play away from home too against clubs that havent got such facilities).

If it was a rule that you have to play then the 3rds would of travelled im sure of it but at training our secretary told the manager he had a choice and he refused.

As for growing a pair and playing on it, having seen some the 3rds games this season, teams in that league are willing to play in gale force winds, rain and snow and kick lumps out of each other so i dont think a bit of plastic would stop them!!! It was a footballing decision, pure and simple.

Disclaimer: I dont not run the 3rd team nor did i have any influence on the decision not to play. These views are my own personal ones and not those of Mullion Football Club :D

Just out of interest the pitch was not playable as we were told at 11 0 clock yesterday as the guy with the key could not get in from perranporth cos of snow so u wouldnt of played anyway. As for football mud and grass all day thanks, astro for training not for playing

So therefore this makes this thread irrelevant if they couldnt play it on anyway? Im the 2nd team manager and played 8 a side matches on 3g up at clifton college in the bristol leagues. Lovely surface but did get some beauty burns from all the sliding around! Yes they are great surfaces but as Marksy says i've grown up playing football on mud and grass and i think 100% of players would choose this everytime. I dont get the argument of fixture back logs as EVERY season there is ALWAYS a back log (rememeber you have to play away from home too against clubs that havent got such facilities).

If it was a rule that you have to play then the 3rds would of travelled im sure of it but at training our secretary told the manager he had a choice and he refused.

As for growing a pair and playing on it, having seen some the 3rds games this season, teams in that league are willing to play in gale force winds, rain and snow and kick lumps out of each other so i dont think a bit of plastic would stop them!!! It was a footballing decision, pure and simple.

Disclaimer: I dont not run the 3rd team nor did i have any influence on the decision not to play. These views are my own personal ones and not those of Mullion Football Club :D

It doesn't necessarily make this an irrelevant topic as our game was cancelled before we even had a chance to wake up on the Saturday to check the conditions of the roads because you lads would rather not play us on the astro.

I too would choose grass over astro every single time but if the choice was no game on Saturday or play on astro then for me the decision is easy as I'd rather play than not play. My argument isn't that we want all games to be played on the astro but to use it when needed to prevent 22+ players having a weekend without football and a potential back log of fixtures later on.

Still if you'd rather take the Mrs shopping that's your call ;)

But my question is would we have the support of the other clubs in the league? From the response on this topic it seems a lot are reluctant to even try the astro. I'll definitely make sure that we try and push this through at the next meeting.

That won't work! Rule changes can ONLY take place at the AGM and there are strict rules about how to propose changes. You have no choice but to read the League Rules to find out what is acceptable. (I know that there's a strong tradition not to read the rules.) In the WCSFL you have to send a written proposal to the League Secretary by 1st March. Haven't a clue what Mining/Fal- Helston do. Even worse, what happens next season if one League adopts a rule change and the other doesn't? A complete minefield. Good luck.

[it doesn't necessarily make this an irrelevant topic as our game was cancelled before we even had a chance to wake up on the Saturday to check the conditions of the roads because you lads would rather not play us on the astro.

I too would choose grass over astro every single time but if the choice was no game on Saturday or play on astro then for me the decision is easy as I'd rather play than not play. My argument isn't that we want all games to be played on the astro but to use it when needed to prevent 22+ players having a weekend without football and a potential back log of fixtures later on.

Still if you'd rather take the Mrs shopping that's your call ;)

Firstly if 3g is so great why don,t all premiership clubs play on them. Simple you do not get a true bounce on the ball, it always seems flat, it tends to hit the surface infront of you then instead of bouncing towards your body the ball seems to rise straight up. Carlsberg you should realize this as when we played Trevenson in a pre-season friendly it took the whole of the first half for our team to adapt to the surface. Training regularly on the 3g would have given the home side a distinct advantage. Also most leagues require notification if you change your "home" pitch.Training NOT matches for me!

Firstly if 3g is so great why don,t all premiership clubs play on them. Simple you do not get a true bounce on the ball, it always seems flat, it tends to hit the surface infront of you then instead of bouncing towards your body the ball seems to rise straight up. Carlsberg you should realize this as when we played Trevenson in a pre-season friendly it took the whole of the first half for our team to adapt to the surface. Training regularly on the 3g would have given the home side a distinct advantage. Also most leagues require notification if you change your "home" pitch.Training NOT matches for me!

100% TOPCAT COULD NOT AGREE MORE

I still think people are missing my point here, I'm not suggesting that we want to play all of our home games on astro turf! Just that when our grass pitch is frozen it seems a waste to not use a perfectly good 3G pitch if it means everyone getting a game?

And I'm also sticking by my point that it plays a lot more like a grass pitch than some of the pot holed, sloppy, muddy jokes of pitches some clubs have at this level.

Topcat for your information, every top level league club, England, Spain, wherever, have a duel 3G and grass pitch, the artificial grass is sewn into the turf to keep the pitches looking green and save on re-turfing in bad weather, wembley has just done this because of the state of the pitch recently.

There will always be people saying grass is better, and I too would choose grass over 3G but only if the grass pitch is playable, not boggy, cut up, divots, un even, on a slope etc. At this level of football 3G everytime. The argument of unfair advantage is a joke, uneven bounce that takes a while to get used to, not true! playing on a cabbage patch cow field with posts when you want to play football and not launch it every time is a disadvantage to football!!!

How can our young players develop if the pitches they play on are dreadful, use the technology, so backward thinking as usual in this country.

Topcat for your information, every top level league club, England, Spain, wherever, have a duel 3G and grass pitch, the artificial grass is sewn into the turf to keep the pitches looking green and save on re-turfing in bad weather, wembley has just done this because of the state of the pitch recently.

There will always be people saying grass is better, and I too would choose grass over 3G but only if the grass pitch is playable, not boggy, cut up, divots, un even, on a slope etc. At this level of football 3G everytime. The argument of unfair advantage is a joke, uneven bounce that takes a while to get used to, not true! playing on a cabbage patch cow field with posts when you want to play football and not launch it every time is a disadvantage to football!!!

How can our young players develop if the pitches they play on are dreadful, use the technology, so backward thinking as usual in this country.

I'm not quite sure top level teams have artificial grass sewn into the turf.

Assuming it is a similar system to that installed at Home Park this summer, there are plastic fibres in the soil under the pitch so that the roots of the grass have a stronger hold. The surface of the pitch is no different to normal grass with the exception of a strip along the edge of the pitch which is artificial to stop the linesmen creating a muddy strip along the edge of the pitch.

3g pitches actually cure two of the problems we as a nation have at international level, firstly when players have confidence in the pitch they will in general play more pass and move football as opposed to lump it, secondly it encourages players to stay on their feet and not dive into tackles that will either miss the ball or injure a player whilst giving away a fee kick.

Now don't get me wrong I love a good slide tackle through muddy water there is something gladiatorial about it and when ever we see pictures of our heroes they are either covered in mud or covered in blood. However times have changed 6 a side football on 3g pitches is starting to overtake 11 a side on grass and mud, players are less likely to get injured and in general the style of football is more enjoyable to play.

If 3g pitches were available to all they would be the preferred choice why wouldn't they apart from the little black bits that end up everywhere....

3g pitches actually cure two of the problems we as a nation have at international level, firstly when players have confidence in the pitch they will in general play more pass and move football as opposed to lump it, secondly it encourages players to stay on their feet and not dive into tackles that will either miss the ball or injure a player whilst giving away a fee kick.

Now don't get me wrong I love a good slide tackle through muddy water there is something gladiatorial about it and when ever we see pictures of our heroes they are either covered in mud or covered in blood. However times have changed 6 a side football on 3g pitches is starting to overtake 11 a side on grass and mud, players are less likely to get injured and in general the style of football is more enjoyable to play.

If 3g pitches were available to all they would be the preferred choice why wouldn't they apart from the little black bits that end up everywhere....

I totally agree. The reason these guys are against it is they are sub standard footballers. 3G encourages passing football at pace and close control as the ball easily runs away from you. Teams are afraid to play because they know they are inferior at that side of the game. They prefer the unpredictability of grass, mud and slopes on pitches to even up their chance.

I took a kids football team to Holland a couple of seasons a go. Most youth teams had a 3g pitch within their facilities. We played once on that in 3 games. And although the dutch boys struggled to compete physically with our side they passed them off the park at times.

Pitches are different everywhere you go, that's the way it is. You might be upset if you were knocked out of a 1 leg cup game away, but league games are played home and away so both teams have home advantage.

3g pitches are a god send.

The substitutes rule should not be changed, especially not to increase participation.

if you want to participate, put in the work in training, or play 6 a side (the wonders of 3g)