Cornwall Football Forum

Absolute Madness!

Goldeneye

Proof from the BBC website that the football world is suffering from insanity!

Chelsea have signed 11-year-old Northampton Town striker Michael Gyasi for an undisclosed fee.

The switch includes a variety of add-ons, which are subject to particular targets being met.

Cobblers centre of excellence boss Trevor Gould said: "Michael has progressed well and has improved with our coaching.

"Financially the deal is good for us, and the money we will receive will aid our youth development."

Gyasi had been part of the Northampton centre of excellence for the last three years.

"While we obviously want to produce and keep our best players, when a Premier League club like Chelsea come knocking, as long as the deal is right for the club, we will never stand in a boy's way," added Gould.

"Not only is this is a superb opportunity for Michael but it reinforces the quality of player we are bringing both into the club and through our centre of excellence."

Chelsea have signed 11-year-old

The fact that he's only 11 years old is my problem! Nothing to do with nationality.

In my opinion clubs shouldn't be allowed to sign someone so young. :SM_carton:

So are you complaining about Northampton Town who signed the boy in the first instance, Chelsea for taking his education to another level or his parents for being greedy buggers.

Would the lad have got all the support he needs at Olney Town FC (the families local local club) ? Northampton Town have done well out of the deal, the parents have been looked after, the boy will get the best football education available and Chelsea/England hopefully have a star of the future.

No one at Newquay AFC complains when Exeter City pop along to Mount Wise and snap up our youngsters, if it helps the kids get a foot in the door of a pro-club, then we wish them all the best.

Real Madrid take children at 7 & develop them, not just footy. It takes at lot of resourses.

I expect it is similar in the USA with university scholorships.

Please don't critise either party for this deal. Smaller clubs need the money, larger clubs have to trawl at an early age or miss out and pay much bigger money later.

Do you want to go back to the 60s with no transfers and a maximum wage? That's when it all started, then SKY raised the bar and here we are.

Chelsea have signed 11-year-old

The fact that he's only 11 years old is my problem! Nothing to do with nationality.

In my opinion clubs shouldn't be allowed to sign someone so young. :SM_carton:

Whilst I understand your concerns, parental consent is final here surely. Would you want the best and biggest facilities, worldwide brand, finances etc for your child? Be it a football club, university or on the stage in X-factor I know I would want maximum opportunity for mine!!

It is impossible to say if a kid will make it as a professional at the age of 11. If Chelsea decide when he's 14 that they were wrong and he won't make it, what support will they give after they dump him?

What if the kid decides at 13 that he doesn't want to be a footballer? Will Chelsea pressurise him to continue?

I just think it's a lot for a kid of 11 to deal with when a premiership team steps in, I know that I would not have been able to cope with it at that age!

He should stay with Northampton and not make any decision until he's 14.