Cornwall Football Forum

Refs appointments?

Guest Stopgap!

Does anyone know how I can find out appointments for our various leagues?

It use to be possible via one of the pages on the CCFA site, but it now requires a log-in and password to get in to view them!

Any idea anyone? wacko.gif

Talk nicely to any club secretary, and ask them to forward the e-mail that is sent out every month to them!

By the sounds of it the two Torpoint matches yesterday brought in a lot of income to the CCFA or whoever! Two players sent off for St Blazey at The Mill, and a load of bookings in the Reserves match at Bude.

This brings on another question:Do referees change their style when being assessed? Added pressure and all that. After all, it's bad enough having 22 players and club officials getting onto you, let alone an assessor watching and making notes on your every move!

Dave they are all on the League web sites, I will try and put the links I have here, combo = http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?league=2469969

Duchy = http://full-time.thefa.com/ListPublicReferee.do?divisionseason=4227232&league=5695325

East Cornwall = http://www.football.mitoo.co.uk/MtchDay.cfm?TblName=Matches&MDate={ts%20%272009-08-22%2000%3A00%3A00%27}&DivisionID=7119&LeagueCode=ECRNW2009

Mining = http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?divisionseason=5147426&league=8637186

F/H = http://full-time.thefa.com/Index.do?league=8715793

sorry I do not have the Peninsular League but these give all the fixtures and referee`s.

also i have to agree with proudgrandad , I never change my way of refereeing and an assessor would soon realise that a referee was making decisions because of his presence.

Thanks for your help B Manning, but I know all the various links to all the leagues, I have them on one of the CORNISH SOCCER WEBSITE pages already.

What I'm trying to get across here is that one use to be able to go to our CCFA website and get them all from one document. Now one needs a log in and password!

well St Darren all I can say is that as an assessor if I felt that a player had been booked because of my presence, I would want to know why and any marks would reflect that.

I was assessed yesterday and in no way did I change my 'ways'and never will. I judge my performance by the amount of handshakes at the end of them game, a lot from both sides, as was yesterday, and you know you've had a good one. hardly any and you start to question yourself. A lot of refs I know are there own worst critics and are always looking at ways to improve.

Dave as an assessor you should never put yourself in that position, blatantly stupid would be my words on him, anyhow if the assessor had not discussed the "dubious decision " with the ref how can it be it`s only his opinion and his post match discussion with the ref is where the answer is, not for bystanders.

How about if you're a ref and at half time your assessor is discussing a dubious decision on the refs part, but out in the open and audible to others close by?

What's your thoughts on that one refs? :)

Stick to DJ`ing Dave :thumbsup:

Guest green street

i watched st blazey 2nds lose to liskeard 2nds on saturday , and the ref was very poor and i heard after the game that he was being assesed.i watch a lot of local football and i have to say he is the worst ref i think i have ever seen !!!!! he spoiled what had the makings of a very good game ! it really does have to get sorted as refs like this one is wrecking the game !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I take it from your comments green street you will be taking the referee`s course ASAP and giving us your valuable help in what is an ever decreasing pool of officials.

Why is this challenge of becoming a referee always raised when the slightest bit of criticism is waved towards one? As a paying spectator surely the writer is entitled to express his thoughts?

Dave & proud grandad, I made that comment for this reason, the post was not the slightest little bit of criticism ,I took it to be an attack on referee`s in Cornwall ( as he used the plural "ref`s), now if a person has an opinion as strong as that ( he is entitled to that opinion the same as I have in replying to his post )then he should do something about it, ie take a referee`s course and contribute to the game or write directly to the FA or CCFA explaining his concerns, but I am pretty sure he will do nothing except complain on here. Also if you read my post I do not request him to take the course all I do is assume from his very strong opinions that he will take the first opertunity to do so.

Here we go again the same old same old lets slate the Referees, I used to be a culprit that shouted come on ref etc etc whilst watching football matches and probaly the same when i was playing, But now that i have done the course and taken up the whistle i look back on those situations and dont i look and sound like a chump now. The easy way out for poor team performances and hard losses is to blame the man in the middle, It is difficult when you go to certain clubs and have to deal with certain players but on a whole its simple if you dont have referees then you dont have football and where would we all be if we dont have football. I am very much learning from each game and no one way of refereeing will be of beneficial to us men in black, we have to adopt our skills to each and every game. You will see a difference in one referee officiating at different games and in some peoples eyes because they are fluent and flawless in the last game and the present game is of a poor standard then automatically think the referee has had a bad game.

totally agree with you monty..

me being a referee for 16 years now and still love refereeing like when i first started.

going out there to give 22 men a game of football.

and you get a few players that you have known over the years and there will always try and give refs a hard time.

simple bang out the cards :SM_carton::SM_carton_y:

but we dont go out to ruin a game on a saturday or whenever.

but i also like to think that man/mangement on the pitch is good for players too.

i always try and tell the players why i have made that decision there may not agree with it but i wont change my mind. :D

Well said Monty, you are absolutely correct, what people do not seem to realise is that there is no definitive way of dealing with situations everything is done on the hoof so to speak and the only place to learn is out on the green stuff, sometimes it works other not, you can look brilliant and in 20secs look a ****. also proud grandad well done for the 16 years and like you I try to inform the players of why I made a decision but unfortunately you do not always get the time to do it. I too like yourself love football having played and achieved well over 3 decades of officiating, this season I can honestly say that for the first time I have in my last 3 games felt what am I doing here , the amount of abuse directed at me from players, club officials and supporters has increased and I know damn well my way of refereeing has not changed. The only redeeming factor in these games was the behaviour of the opposition which has been exemplary.

Well said Monty and proudgrandad, I agree with every word you've said. :thumbsup::clapper:

DD - the shortage of referees is clear evidence that it is a very hard job.

I don't think I've suggested anywhere it isn't either!

It could be made easier if the players were not such a bunch of cry babies, trying to con the ref into making decisions!

I will second that one Dave, the amount of times players try to con us in games is increasing perhaps they watch too much MOTD and try and copy their idols. But the main problem with it is the fact that they will not admit it even to themselves and continue to berate the ref.

Just as an after thought this thread has completely changed direction from you requesting an appointments list.

tell you what i did on saturday dave& b.manning.

it was my first time doing stratton v st.mawes utd.

i got all the players together before the game started and told them how i work as a referee.

i can honestly say that it was a great game to referee and not once was there any dissent shown.

at the end of the game i said to both managers it was great to come so far and enjoy doing this game.. :clapper:

maybe it is a way forward of telling the teams before the game starts.

i think it wouid work for other refs too.

:drink:

From personal experience, if a referee comes into the changing room before the game, or has a word with both teams, about how he referee's, it generally means that he's going to be poor!!

But each to their own, all referee's have their way of refereeing the game!

A great comment though by proudgrandad, saying he's refereeing for the 22 players out there and its a hobbie!!! perhaps a few other referee's should have a read of that as well.

One referee we had the other week, was very intrusive into your own personal space, telling you to 'shut up', is that a way of refereeing?? what if a player was to to do that? respect goes both ways

St Darren if thats all you have had shouted at you, you are lucky, as a referee I have had just about everything abusive that you can think of shouted at me. We all refree for the players although I look at it slightly differently, my take on it is that I am there to ensure that the game is played within the laws of the game and from that all the players are able to enjoy a game of football played as it was meant to be played.

W I too like yourself love football having played and achieved well over 3 decades of officiating, this season I can honestly say that for the first time I have in my last 3 games felt what am I doing here , the amount of abuse directed at me from players, club officials and supporters has increased and I know damn well my way of refereeing has not changed.

So the "Respect" campaign is having a real impact in adult football

i think everyone understands how tough reffing is, no two ways about it, probably not another job/hobbie out there like it, getting judged by the players and fans, thats pressure.

what gets to me is that as a captain you get together for the toss in the middle and almost every ref will say how he will listen to you and look to you for help, you jog up and ask him about a decision and he tells you to go away!!!

i think all players, managers, fans and whoever else can handle little fouls being wrongly adjuged but its the big decisions that all players want the refs to get right, i've had some excellent refs this year and probably havent given them enough credit after the game, and theres others who in MY OPINION havent had the best of games, but its subjective as my understanding of the laws wont be as good as theres,

a question for refs on the long throw, is the player taking the throw aloud to spin the ball, basically throwing the ball like an american football?

i think everyone understands how tough reffing is, no two ways about it, probably not another job/hobbie out there like it, getting judged by the players and fans, thats pressure.

what gets to me is that as a captain you get together for the toss in the middle and almost every ref will say how he will listen to you and look to you for help, you jog up and ask him about a decision and he tells you to go away!!!

i think all players, managers, fans and whoever else can handle little fouls being wrongly adjuged but its the big decisions that all players want the refs to get right, i've had some excellent refs this year and probably havent given them enough credit after the game, and theres others who in MY OPINION havent had the best of games, but its subjective as my understanding of the laws wont be as good as theres,

a question for refs on the long throw, is the player taking the throw aloud to spin the ball, basically throwing the ball like an american football?

There is nothing in the laws of the game to say you can't spin the ball, however some refs deem this to be 'unsporting' and will penalise. Personally I don't. The law states you must use both hands, face the field of play, delivers the ball from behind the head and have both feet on or behind the touchline.

With the long throw,if the player can get spin on the ball using a legal throw then no problems, anything else should be penalised. As to speaking to players before the game and at the toss up I never offer any advice or say what I will or wont do in my opinion that is just asking for problems, plus they are not really interested in listening all they want to do is play football.

Perhaps if Refs didn't know they were being assessed, the powers that be, may get a true relection on how a ref performs. Half the problem is, that everyone seems to know who the Assessors are, word gets around the ground and everyone knows that there will be bookings for the slightest touch.

We have Refs moaning about those on MOTD, but all anyone involved in football wants, is the officials to be consistant on the laws of the game. I'm sure, that everyone either playing, watching or officiating want an enjoyable game, it is upto the ref to determine how enjoyable it is. It is he who sets the boundaries, if players overstep the mark, then everyone knows what to expect.

How many times have you heard a huge groan when the name of the ref is made public, it is 50/50 that you hear, "oh so and so, he's a good ref, we had him down at Falport" although it was a game your team probably won by a dodgy penalty.

CONSISTANCY PLEASE.

At the moment of delivering the ball, the thrower:

• faces the field of play

• has part of each foot either on the touch line or on the ground

outside the touch line

• uses both hands

• delivers the ball from behind and over his head

That is from LOAF if that helps with your query regarding spin with a key point being that he uses both hands. As with my previous post providing those criteria have been met then there is no problem.

Nemesis, why does the old chesnut "consistancy" keep rearing it`s head, we are all human beings therefore we are by nature inconsistant so your call is utopia i`m afraid, we all see things different we all behave differently. This last saturday I had 3 identical incidents, I treated those incidents in exactly the same way and guess what after the game I was asked why I had not redcarded the last player whom I cautioned exactly the same as the previous 2 from the other side. But it was alright for their players to be cautioned but wanted the oppositions player sent off. So even they really didn`t want consistancy.only if it suited them.

jamie in answer to you question. i dont think so!!

thats between the ref the assesser, and the county office who get a copy.

can i askj you why you shouid thing a manager shouid see ther report!!

cause it would be interesting on how an assesser would score it compared to two managers who score the ref. thats all

on the assessment form the assesser as certain areas to put things for the referee to work on like..

fitness,, postioning etc etc

and if a referee was going for his next level say from a 5 to a 4.

he wouid have to have 3 assessments of over 70 (i think)marks from the assesser. plus club marks to be good as well. :thumbsup:

i hope this answers you question..

jamie in answer to you question. i dont think so!!

thats between the ref the assesser, and the county office who get a copy.

can i askj you why you shouid thing a manager shouid see ther report!!

cause it would be interesting on how an assesser would score it compared to two managers who score the ref. thats all

Jamie

when a ref is asseesed its on the following aspects

1. application of law

2. positioning, fitness and workrate

3. alertness and awareness

4. communication

5. teamwork

6. advantage

7. match control

these were the catagories for my last assessment and you get marked on each one, which are then added together for your total.

you also get recommendations as to which aspects need to be worked on.

hope this helps give you a better prospective as to how the system works