Cornwall Football Forum

who are your clubs unsung heroes

every club has them the people that makes our own clubs tick,very rarely do they get amention but without them there would be no football,the game we all love.at hayle i would like to put forward our own . john ,bella and greg.

john runs our bar chief decorator and also manages 2 teams. bella sec pitch allocations and kitchen duties .and greg groundsman mantainence man and ball boy ,allthree give up many hours for our club and i would like to reconise all their efforts now lets hear about your own clubs

At Penzance AFC, i would say our unsung heroes are John Mead (Secretary) who runs the club behind the scenes, doing an amazing job! Next are our long serving tea-hut ladies, Jenny Williams and Pauline Mead who have run the tea hut (with some help over the years) but have stuck with it and are our familiar faces at Penzance for several generations of families associated with the club, they were there the day i was born! :) . Jimmy Hocking and Pete Williams (along with John Mead and other helpers), who keep the ground in tip-top condition. All of these people are unsung heroes in the club, all doing jobs which are like a cog in a wheel, without them, the club would not function on a long term basis. Thank you guys! :)

Nalders West Cornwall Sunday Football League recognise these stalwarts. We give out three or four trophies "Nalders Unsung Heroes" a season and reward the winners and their partners with a dinner at a top restaurant. (Well, not MacDonalds)

Tony Triggs of Truro GWRSA is our latest victim. Before that we had Martin Kemp of Penzance Astro and Sharon Hodgkin of Shortlanesend - both those two at the end of last season. They also get a write-up and photograph in the paper.

Nalders West Cornwall Sunday Football League recognise these stalwarts. We give out three or four trophies "Nalders Unsung Heroes" a season and reward the winners and their partners with a dinner at a top restaurant. (Well, not MacDonalds)

Tony Triggs of Truro GWRSA is our latest victim. Before that we had Martin Kemp of Penzance Astro and Sharon Hodgkin of Shortlanesend - both those two at the end of last season. They also get a write-up and photograph in the paper.

what abrilliant idea perhaps other leagues could follow suit

Chris Lawrence the presenter of the Saturday Afternoon show on Atlantic FM Radio Station had the foresight to do something about this last year and introduced the `Atlantic FM Cornish Sports Personality Award`. Nominations were received for club stalwarts (everyone from club chairmen, secretaries, groundsmen, you name it) who do just about anything and everything to keep clubs running. Last season, the inaugural for this award, was won by a club chairman who has seen the highs and lows of football in the Duchy whilst carrying out just about every position there is, including working behind the club bar seven nights a week. Mike Barbery of Bodmin Town was the first winner and we will of course be looking throughout this coming season for the next winner. I'll speak to Chris to see if we can open it up to suggestions and if I have my way, Ronnie James name will definitely be going into the hat. Perhaps StevieB can PM me with some details on his career as 63 years is something worth celebrating.

Chris Lawrence the presenter of the Saturday Afternoon show on Atlantic FM Radio Station had the foresight to do something about this last year and introduced the `Atlantic FM Cornish Sports Personality Award`. Nominations were received for club stalwarts (everyone from club chairmen, secretaries, groundsmen, you name it) who do just about anything and everything to keep clubs running. Last season, the inaugural for this award, was won by a club chairman who has seen the highs and lows of football in the Duchy whilst carrying out just about every position there is, including working behind the club bar seven nights a week. Mike Barbery of Bodmin Town was the first winner and we will of course be looking throughout this coming season for the next winner. I'll speak to Chris to see if we can open it up to suggestions and if I have my way, Ronnie James name will definitely be going into the hat. Perhaps StevieB can PM me with some details on his career as 63 years is something worth celebrating.

sorry ken dont know ronnnie james personally but the post was from gerrard 8 about him perhaps he can let you have more info

I WAS PLAYING FOR ILLOGAN IN 1997 WHEN RONNIE JAMES CELEBRATED 50 YEARS AT THE CLUB,AND ON RETURNING LAST YEAR SAW THAT RONNIE WAS STILL THERE .PRETTY SURE HE HAS DONE MOST JOBS THERE,AND STILL WORKS ON THE GATE TO THIS DAY.I WILL GATHER MORE INFO ON RONNIES HISTORY AT THE CLUB ,THATS IF ANYBODY CAN REMEMBER! :clapper: :clapper:

Chacewater FC have two gentlemen,Ken Moyle and Don Smith,who have both put in fifty years service and have been recognised with awards from the CCFA with Councillor Ian Anear coming to our AGM to make the presentations last year..

I could not agree more Nigel, Both Ken and Don have done Chacewater proud

I would also put you in the frame to Nigel you must have been there for some time now and like Ken and Don also put in a lot of work for that club :clapper:

Chacewater FC have two gentlemen,Ken Moyle and Don Smith,who have both put in fifty years service and have been recognised with awards from the CCFA with Councillor Ian Anear coming to our AGM to make the presentations last year..

I could not agree more Nigel, Both Ken and Don have done Chacewater proud

I would also put you in the frame to Nigel you must have been there for some time now and like Ken and Don also put in a lot of work for that club :clapper:

Just a whipper snapper to people like Ron James,Ken and Don,Guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...