Cornwall Football Forum

The Real Truro City

Guest Robbie

Guest Robbie

After deciding I can't go on with the SWPL job at Treyew Road, I've spoken to a number of people, who like me, are concerned about the second team & whether there will be a team at SWPL level. It's something that's always been there, forget the first team. They are at a level beyond anything we've known, which is great & I sincerely hope they continue to move forward. However, I think that a lot of local people like the games with Falmouth, Blazey, Newquay, Penzance, Bodmin etc etc. It's been a way of life for as long as we can remember. And I fear that a SWPL league without Truro City in it, would just not be the same. Players locally don't want anything to do with it as it stands. There's no soul left in the place, the first team is the b all & end all with the actual people within the club. Hey, that's not really the issue & being at the level they are, they have to be focused on that.

What I'm saying is, the second team is very much neglected because of this. I think Kevin should do away with it, as it must be just a burden, both in financial and time factors.

What I'd like to know is, are there enough people out there who would like to reform another club within the City boundary & build it upto SWPL level, or slide the SWPL side out from underneath the umbrella of the current club, that is if they wanted to get rid of it. It would mean a lot of hard work finding a home etc etc, but if there were enough people interested, why not turn the dream of a team of red & blacks in the SWPL into reality? Get the good Truro players playing here there & everywhere back playing where they belong, playing for the red & blacks,the REAL TRURO CITY! :c:

Guest rower

I think I have to agree with you there.

When the first team were winning promotion from the Western League the Reserves were getting a good crowd, average about 80 I think, and there were some great players in that team, some of which were sometimes getting into the first team, but when the likes of Ian Gosling, Rusty Rowson, Matt Salmon to name a few left, the downturn seemed to have started in my opinion.

If my memory is correct 1 reserve match I was stewarding at had a crowd of about 20, maybe partly due to the weather, I'm sure the crowd was somewhere near that, saying that, the first team crowds have peaked and dropped to an average of about 450.

The feeling I've felt is that the fans are either going to the first team matches only, or are staying away altogether. There does need to be a second Truro team playing, even if the worst happens in that the first team disband for whatever reason.

Shades of F C United of Manchester?

The club was formed in 2005 by Manchester United supporters following Malcolm Glazer's controversial takeover which led to hundreds of supporters defecting from the club. They are affectionately referred to as "The Red Rebels".

FC United's first three seasons were successful, winning promotion each time.[1] FC United entered at the tenth level of the English football league system (the second division of the North West Counties Football League) and they were confirmed as champions on 15 April 2006 and followed that up by being crowned as champions of Division 1 on 18 April 2007. The 2007-08 season saw them finish second in theNorthern Premier League Division One North then gain promotion through the end of season play-offs.

During their first season (2005-06), they had a higher average attendance than seven Football League clubs, including Bury with whom FC United share a ground. It was also the second-highest average attendance in English non-League football.[2] Although attendances fell in the next two seasons, they were still the 100th best supported club in 2007-08.[3] Their record attendance is 6,023 for a match against Great Harwood Town on 22 April 2006.

Way back around 1948/49 I and two mates, Brian Courts and John Roseveare started a football team in Truro we were 13 years old, we collected jam jars from neighbours, then we got a penny for each jar when returned to the shop, we got others interested and we got enough money to buy the shirts, each player provided a clothing coupon, as I and John lived in Stokes Road and Brian was from Carew Road, we called ourselves Stokes Road Rovers, about two years later we became Hendra Athletic, a team that continued long after I became a Cornish exile.

With so many clubs folding for varying reasons, economic, property development etc. I have mentioned a number of times there could soon be a football club called 'CITY of TRURO FC'. beats that awful AFC title so many clubs prefix their name with.

Truro needs something that has been lost, a COMMUNITY CLUB, maybe there are a couple or more clubs locally that feel amalgamation would benefit them all, the better players forming the first team, next best the reserves and so on.

From what I hear there are a lot of disappointed people in the Truro area about the uncertainty that surrounds the reserves.

:c: ........................ :c: ......................... :c: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :c:

Robbie,

As a supporter of the club I'm genuinely sorry that it hasn't worked out for you, quite rightly you've pointed out that the elephant in the room is the first team and they take up the lion's share of the attention at Treyew Road. Even when promotion from the Combo was secured down at Wendron not one club official turned up to thank the players, the views of the players that night have stuck with some of us since. Whether you were the right man for the job is neither here nor there for the likes of me to consider, Kevin Heaney must've thought he was taking you on for the right reasons. However there are a lot of other factors in and around the club which don't help matters, at the moment it's basically disfunctional as a club, the trustees surrendered their obligations long ago, there is no board of directors, most of the volunteers/stewards have walked because they refuse to compromise their ethics and a lot of the long standing supporters stay out of getting involved for similar reasons. The Supporters Club has been treated with total contempt at times recently. It isn't just about forming a new club (a subject which has been muted amongst some of the fans for sometime) but the fate of the existing entity, as for MR T's comments - absolutely bang on the money. Good luck.

Guest Robbie

Thanks Mr T and Modfather. It doesn't matter who runs the current 2nd team, it's nigh on impossible to get anything done. Ian Rennie must be run ragged with all the admin, there doesn't seem to be many there that do anything anymore. When Les & myself were running the 1st team, there was very little money in the pot, but people would do anything you asked them to, and it was never any trouble for them to do it. I know the supporters club do all they can, but I'm talking club officials. I don't think I saw more than 2 in the few weeks I was there this time. It will never be a great club as it is now, and that really saddens me. We used to have a right old laugh & everybody pulled in the same direction. Now there are people that don't & I knew from the minute I went to the first training session that this was going to be a no go. Some people are there for all the wrong reasons, a lot of people I speak to know what I mean. Tony Paddock felt exactly the same feeling I had.

There needs to be another senior side in Truro, I know Trispen have great new facilities, Tms could be another club to step up, but the one problem with either is, they can't be called Truro. I'd love to see a Truro side with whatever way you put the City name into the mix, play at senior level, and in the RED & BLACK. It maybe a pipedream at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty who think the same as me & would be prepared to get off their backsides & do something. Would Kevin release the 2nd team & let a group of people run it as a seperate entity & maybe groundshare or something. I don't know, has anybody else got any bright ideas? :drink:

Thanks Mr T and Modfather. It doesn't matter who runs the current 2nd team, it's nigh on impossible to get anything done. Ian Rennie must be run ragged with all the admin, there doesn't seem to be many there that do anything anymore. When Les & myself were running the 1st team, there was very little money in the pot, but people would do anything you asked them to, and it was never any trouble for them to do it. I know the supporters club do all they can, but I'm talking club officials. I don't think I saw more than 2 in the few weeks I was there this time. It will never be a great club as it is now, and that really saddens me. We used to have a right old laugh & everybody pulled in the same direction. Now there are people that don't & I knew from the minute I went to the first training session that this was going to be a no go. Some people are there for all the wrong reasons, a lot of people I speak to know what I mean. Tony Paddock felt exactly the same feeling I had.

There needs to be another senior side in Truro, I know Trispen have great new facilities, Tms could be another club to step up, but the one problem with either is, they can't be called Truro. I'd love to see a Truro side with whatever way you put the City name into the mix, play at senior level, and in the RED & BLACK. It maybe a pipedream at the moment, but I'm sure there are plenty who think the same as me & would be prepared to get off their backsides & do something. Would Kevin release the 2nd team & let a group of people run it as a seperate entity & maybe groundshare or something. I don't know, has anybody else got any bright ideas? :drink:

I have to agree with robbie and i play for truro.

Ground-share? That wouldn't be an option surely? If this thread is to be taken seriously forget 'ground-sharing'. I mean, why wold you want to and whatever makes you think Mr Heaney would even consider it. You have to plan for an independant future. I'm not knocking the idea, far from it but playing at Treyew Road would be a very big mistake. Mr Heaney and co' would have control of your future.

Guest Robbie

Pablo, you are of course right. The problem is, there isn't a ground other than Treyew Road suitable for senior football of any kind. The only reason I suggested it, was because if KH wanted to dump the 2nd team & let's face it, it must just be a burden to him now, it could be run by a seperate commitee & could actually help the current club. For a start, it would boost revenue in the clubhouse, which must be running at a loss at the moment. I'm not saying it would transform the place, but a lot more people would go back in there.

I first played senior football for Truro City when Treyew Road was being redeveloped & we played down at Malpas on Boscawen Park. I suppose that could be an option, use of the cricket club after matches could be an option, but the pitch would never meet with current senior criteria. I can't see the Council doing anything to improve it, they're short of money themselves! I don't know the answer, other than for someone to win the lottery, or enough people get behind this mad idea & do something about it. Would the lottery or sports aid etc help in any way? I don't know, but I do know, that unless something is done, I fear there will be no Truro side at senior level locally in the not too distant future & I don't think that anybody would want that. :SM_carton:

Guest rower

On the issue of the ground, it's a double edged sword in respect that if the club are to rise up the pyramid, then a new ground is more than likely a requirement, but the location is the stumbling block, as it then removes itself from close to the city centre to that of the suburbs, and too far for a walk to a match, and I know that Treyew is just about walkable from the town centre, I did it twice last season, and I know I'm not the fittest person around, but it took me about 20 minutes to get up there.

What I heard from someone last season was that they felt the reserves were more a F/H League team than SWPL1, and couldn't be bothered in watching, and some of the results kept them away as well.

I know I sometimes struggled to keep up with the team names last season, almost felt like half of the team would be new from one week to the next.

The club house hasn't really felt alive to me for a while, when it used to be a members' bar, Friday and Saturday evenings the place was packed, full of life, and people talked about 'getting a taxi up club', but now I don't even think it's open during the week any more, and there's no Sport channels.

Hopefully if the club get the players that can challenge the top 4 in West 1 the interest may just rise, and people who are a bit disconcerted at paying the price to watch the first team may instead watch the 'ressies' again.

Personally, since losing the 3rd team, Truro's 2nd team have gradually suffered as a result no natural progression through the club from youth to mens football. In my view this would be the key to setting up and sustaining another team in Truro.

If Truro City were to meet Mr Heaney's ambitions, the FA would insist on an academy, it would appear the current plan is to soldier on with interest in just one team, then if successful through the conference do a Stevenage, start an academy at the last minute to join the football league. Stevenage have their Academy up and running JUST IN TIME.

If Truro City do not achieve Mr H's ambitions the 20 odd youth teams could find themselves doing their own thing as they are now, where would those teams be now without those who are running them, if what I am told is correct, independently from the main football club.

There is a City Alerts email service, the clubs voice to the fans, strangely there has only been a couple of messages mentioning the reserves and NONE mention other teams or the youth, at least a club for local competition with all those teams supporting it could hardly fail.

It's been a while since I lived in Truro, about fifteen years and so I can't remember what the ground situation is. I know how bad it is here in Bodmin. There are only five decent pitches here and Town have complete control over four of them, although that situation will change sooner or later. I digress! Maybe, Robbie you could approach the rugby club, they have a decent ground don't they?

If Truro City were to meet Mr Heaney's ambitions, the FA would insist on an academy, it would appear the current plan is to soldier on with interest in just one team, then if successful through the conference do a Stevenage, start an academy at the last minute to join the football league. Stevenage have their Academy up and running JUST IN TIME.

If Truro City do not achieve Mr H's ambitions the 20 odd youth teams could find themselves doing their own thing as they are now, where would those teams be now without those who are running them, if what I am told is correct, independently from the main football club.

There is a City Alerts email service, the clubs voice to the fans, strangely there has only been a couple of messages mentioning the reserves and NONE mention other teams or the youth, at least a club for local competition with all those teams supporting it could hardly fail.

Are Truro not a F.A.Chartered club,what is the criteria to maintain charter standard? Surely maintaining a healthy CLUB where all teams are EQUAL. :angry2: :ninja:

I know that Truro City Youth Football Club are charter standard, if not they were very very close to it at the end of last season.

2 separate clubs, 2 separate entities.

I didn't realise the Youth were seperate from the main structure,so to sum it up Reserves there in name only,no Third team,Youth there in name only,great CLUB. :wacko: :ninja:

To contemplate running just one "eleven",the Southern League side, would court failure. When it suits him it seems Mr Heaney boasts to the press about all the many teams at Truro as if they were all under one club umbrella, when it seems they aren't. The problem is simply that the man with the money has no knowledge of how a football club runs, both day to day and behind the scenes on match days. He doesn't understand the problem of low wages. Perhaps he has blanked any memories he might have of living on a low wage. Being a one-time season ticket holder at Spurs means absolutely nothing but he mentions it as if it somehow qualifies him like an FA coaching badge or similar. The club needs his money but it could do without him. Except, it can't do without him as he has the money! That's why I think this is the last season that Truro will have at this level and i don't mean I think they'll win promotion. When Mr H realises his approach isn't working he will go and Truro will go into freefall like another Durham City which will be agony to watch except for all the people on these forums who have been jealous of Truro's success so far. The football has been great, far, far surpassing anything else seen in Cornwall even in Falmouth's Western league days (no disrespect: they had a magnificent few seasons on a fraction of Truro's budget).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skista

I must say that this topic makes interesting reading. I think rather than taking over the current reserve side or talking about names, you would have to start right at the bottom and build your castle from a firm base. If your club was to be completely independant of the main Truro City FC as it is at the moment, you would have to start from scratch. Now, as it is at the moment the youth section at Truro City is a floating ship that isn't directly attached to the main club, this is your starting point. Get them on board, which with a lot of real Truro people still there wouldn't be a problem, and you have a great start. You then give your club a steady supply of young local players feeding into your main side. You then start a new side every season or other season for the under 15 side to feed into and as your first team progresses you have structure underneath it with reserve and third teams all feeding from your youth section.

A facility, well why not Boscowen park initially? It's right in the middle of Truro and your team would start in the Falmouth/Helston league anyway. It would take you at least 5 years with back to back promotions to get into the combo or Peninsula, depending on the new structure of junior football in cornwall. In this 5 years an awful lot could have happened at Truro City.

Local businesses, local people, old supporters who had been disillusioned with the club and had left would come back and take an interest and before you know it......you are well on your way to being a real Truro City Football Club, not in competition with the main club, but a Truro city football club in its own right and with a very local community base.

To contemplate running just one "eleven",the Southern League side, would court failure. When it suits him it seems Mr Heaney boasts to the press about all the many teams at Truro as if they were all under one club umbrella, when it seems they aren't. The problem is simply that the man with the money has no knowledge of how a football club runs, both day to day and behind the scenes on match days. He doesn't understand the problem of low wages. Perhaps he has blanked any memories he might have of living on a low wage. Being a one-time season ticket holder at Spurs means absolutely nothing but he mentions it as if it somehow qualifies him like an FA coaching badge or similar. The club needs his money but it could do without him. Except, it can't do without him as he has the money! That's why I think this is the last season that Truro will have at this level and i don't mean I think they'll win promotion. When Mr H realises his approach isn't working he will go and Truro will go into freefall like another Durham City which will be agony to watch except for all the people on these forums who have been jealous of Truro's success so far. The football has been great, far, far surpassing anything else seen in Cornwall even in Falmouth's Western league days (no disrespect: they had a magnificent few seasons on a fraction of Truro's budget).

You still don't get it after 4 years. We aren't jealous of Truro's success we just don't like the way they have gone about it.

Using local companies to up-grade Treyew Road then asking them to send the bills to a company owned by Heaney that was bust and defaulting on it's debt's.

The constant showing-off "We're bigger and better than you lot"

Thinking they can walk roughshod through the rule book re; refusing to play the last 2 games in their combo season 2006-07 resulting in their record being expunged.

Heaney demanding to be paid for holding the Senior Cup final at Treyew Road when it should be a club's honour.

No or little communication between management and supporters, for example these recent problems over pasties being sold in the supporters tea-hut.

Real supporters of the club being pushed out.

This "Stadium for Cornwall" which would be mostly Cornwall County Council funded, with more from Dicky Evans of the Pirates giving Heaney the chance to make a profit from Treyew Road.

Only giving some the Porthleven boys half a pasty each for after match food last Saturday. :angry2: Ask Kevin Richards, port's manager!

What I'd like to know is, are there enough people out there who would like to reform another club within the City boundary & build it upto SWPL level, or slide the SWPL side out from underneath the umbrella of the current club, that is if they wanted to get rid of it. It would mean a lot of hard work finding a home etc etc, but if there were enough people interested, why not turn the dream of a team of red & blacks in the SWPL into reality? Get the good Truro players playing here there & everywhere back playing where they belong, playing for the red & blacks,the REAL TRURO CITY!

In the pre-Heaney days Truro's average must have been in the region of 100, so I assume that's all that would be interested in forming

another club.