Cornwall Football Forum

YOU ARE HAVIN A LAUGH CAPELLO

I obviously know nothing about football because I have three points to make. In my opinion Capello got it completely wrong.

No one can envisage what Green did but why was James not playing in the first place.

Bringing on Carragher who has never been of international standard and then sticking him alongside Terry was a disaster waiting to happen and could have cost us the game. But bringing on Wright-Phillips instead of Joe Cole and then sticking him on the left wing was utterly bizarre.

England had little to do and should have won comfortably but there did not seem to be any plan. Yes Heskey set up Gerrard as third man running to score the goal but that was the last time we saw it. If you are going to win matches you want a striker who can score goals. I don't care how many times he won the ball in the air or played the ball off Heskey is clueless in front of goal.

England had no shape and nobody in the midfield who had the guile and skill to bring Rooney into the game.

Rooney was almost completely out of it because there did not seem to be any cohesion within the team. Englands right side was fine until Carragher came on so the full back had to keep to much of an eye on his defensive duties. Likewise Cole was completely taken out of the game because of the same problem of Carragher but also because Wright Phillips had no idea what he was doing.

Luckily we did not lose but Capello must look at his own decision making to make up for quite frankly was a gimmee game we failed to win.

Got to agree and disagree, James is the same as Green a disaster waiting to happen. Thought Rooney, Lampard and Lennon were shit. Stevie G man of the match, i thought England played really well. Better than i thought they would.

And for those of us fortunate enough (or is that unfortunate?)to be watching on ITV1HD, we didn't even see England's goal. Who remembers the Everton v Liverpool FAC game when ITV switched to an ad break whilst the game was still going on and missed the winning goal by Gosling(?).

What a bunch of ***** ITV are. Take their coverage away, I say, and give it to anyone else on the free-to-air platform!

And for those of us fortunate enough (or is that unfortunate?)to be watching on ITV1HD, we didn't even see England's goal. Who remembers the Everton v Liverpool FAC game when ITV switched to an ad break whilst the game was still going on and missed the winning goal by Gosling(?).

What a bunch of ***** ITV are. Take there coverage away, I say, and give it to anyone else on the free-to-air platform!

That was as good as it got though mate, you didn't miss much. Rooney the next Pele was Pele that crap.

England had no shape and nobody in the midfield who had the guile and skill to bring Rooney into the game.

Rooneys a damn good player but to be one of the best he shouldnt need people to 'bring him into the game' - he should dominate. Did you see Messi today - always involved.

Have to go at Algeria and then will be a tense game against Slovenia who are a decent side.

Rooneys a damn good player but to be one of the best he shouldnt need people to 'bring him into the game' - he should dominate. Did you see Messi today - always involved.

Have to go at Algeria and then will be a tense game against Slovenia who are a decent side.

England and we are worried about Algeria and Slovenia jesus! Rooney should make things happen great player's do. Pele, Maradona and Best made things happen!

I have to agree with the comments about Englands game last night against the USA,

1 ITV are crap they do adverts just before the kick off & you very often miss the start,

2 We were told by the commentators that Capelo had picked an attacking side,

After Gerrard scored the fist Goal it whent down hill & it became the same old England,

3 Roony may as well not have been playing, the USA team had him under full control,

4 at the end the same old excuse From Gerrard well we did not lose the Game,

After seeing South Korea, England were so boring to watch one is pleading with them to move forward & attack, but no back & forth Back & forth, you would think that we were leading 4-0,

The USA had their game plan worked out & again England had no answer,

I have said all along that England have as much chance of winning the World cup,as pig have of being able to fly.I stick to my view.

Hammers :wacko::c::wacko::glare: :c:

Guest Norry

IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME WE ARE STILL PLAYING THE OLD S.O.S. SYSTEM...(SAME OLD STORY)!!

EVERY TIME WE GO TO AN INTERNATIONAL CUP GATHERING WE FAIL TO PRODUCE THE GOODS..THE WORLD CUP,SO COLORFUL AND VIBRANT,YET THE MOMENT WE KICK OFF...WE AND THE MEDIA EXPECT ENGLAND TO WIN..AND SO OFTEN WE ARE LET DOWN,NOBODY CAN LEGISLATE FOR GREEN'S ERROR,BUT WE STILL SHOULD HAVE WON,AND WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO THE USA...IF WE CANNOT GET THREE POINTS FROM THEM...HOW DO WE EXPECT TO RAISE THAT GOLDEN TROPHY ABOVE OUR HEADS..WITH BETTER OPPOSITION STILL TO COME...YES WE SHOULD(FINGERS CROSSED)STILL QUALIFY FROM THE GROUP...BUT AS FOR THE REST OF THE TOURNAMENT..IT STILL LOOKS LIKE...S...O....S...(COME ON CAPELLO PROVE ME WRONG).

IT LOOKS LIKE TO ME WE ARE STILL PLAYING THE OLD S.O.S. SYSTEM...(SAME OLD STORY)!!

EVERY TIME WE GO TO AN INTERNATIONAL CUP GATHERING WE FAIL TO PRODUCE THE GOODS..THE WORLD CUP,SO COLORFUL AND VIBRANT,YET THE MOMENT WE KICK OFF...WE AND THE MEDIA EXPECT ENGLAND TO WIN..AND SO OFTEN WE ARE LET DOWN,NOBODY CAN LEGISLATE FOR GREEN'S ERROR,BUT WE STILL SHOULD HAVE WON,AND WITH ALL DUE RESPECT TO THE USA...IF WE CANNOT GET THREE POINTS FROM THEM...HOW DO WE EXPECT TO RAISE THAT GOLDEN TROPHY ABOVE OUR HEADS..WITH BETTER OPPOSITION STILL TO COME...YES WE SHOULD(FINGERS CROSSED)STILL QUALIFY FROM THE GROUP...BUT AS FOR THE REST OF THE TOURNAMENT..IT STILL LOOKS LIKE...S...O....S...(COME ON CAPELLO PROVE ME WRONG).

Let's just all hope that it is just part of the journey and we will have chance to celebrate the arrival(Final) Totally wrong to harp on about the goalie's mistake when the all-round performance was not good enough for the other 90 minutes of the game.

Time now for Capello to prove he really is a decent Manager.

It looked like Green joined the rest of us in having crossed fingers, get Hart on for the remaining games.

There are thousands of small football clubs who are dependant on England doing well in the World Cup and Euros every two years. A good run brings people into clubhouses and the money spent keeps many clubs alive, so Capello, prove that you are not an Mafia boss, determined to give your own country a better chance of winning the whole thing.

Spain will win it but for every small clubs sake, England have to make the Semis, no one pops to their local club to watch North Korea v Uruguay. The FA have to take some responsibility for the nightmare that is the National game, we must be able to find 50 world class players out of a native population of 50 million. I have a nasty feling that there are millions of fat kids brought up on Sky TV and Pro-Evolution Soccer 27, who may never kick a ball in anger, if we don't win it this time, we may never win it again.

all along ive had faith in fabio, until he named the 30, then named the 23, and then the starting 11, and then the substitutions.

30- no robinson. 40 odd caps, blackburn joint points with hart at birmingham 50. Brum 9th on goal difference. so takes injury prone james, who finished bottom of the league, green who came 4th bottom and who has most mistakes of any keeper last year by way of opta stats.

23- carragher,awful for liverpool, rubbish season,but begs him out of international retirement!!!takes barry who apparantly gives us shape,but luckily should be 100% fit by the start of august! also takes rio and king who are both injury prone, believe me this isnt my thoughts because of subsequent events, but when 23 announced. darren bent scores for fun in the premiership,but is deemed not international class after 90 against brazil in searing sweat box where everyone including world class wayne(!)were poor, and ditto against the japs, but 6 days earlier when king has his pants pulled down by the mexicans, is deemed international class..double standards fabio. joe cole has average season due to injury and a manager for whom joe's face dont fit, then suddenly after a good 45 aginst the japs (which wasnt even that great) and a goal against the bull and bush 2nd 11 last monday, is now again deemed world class!!! please understand im making a point about the double standards capello offers, as for me in was never ever in question if joe would make the 30 or 23,for me it shouldnt even be questioned if he should be in the 11.he starts, end of.

11- brilliant, lets play milner who's been ill, play lamps as a holding midfielder. play a formation that went out with the ark, and play a player who i cannot bring myself to name, up front to hold up the ball for world class wayne(!) and 2 attacking midfielders!!! that player does what he is told, he holds up the ball, which subsequently holds up our play!

this player who i cannot name, was probably our best player on the night, which unfortunately bodes well for him, but does not bode well for our progression. if you play up there long enough, surely he will do well sometime.

which brings me back to fabio (who now i do not trust),he'll persist with him, instead of playing our best and strongest team, which would have a slight chance of winning us a world cup

in a 4-5-1

1. take your pick all average

2. johnson

3. cole

4. terry

5. dawson (by default)

6. carrick (granted poor end of season, but can pass to rooney cole lamps and gerrard for fun, and will cover players out of position)

7. lamps

8 stevie g

9. rooney

10. cole

11. lennon or wright phillips

please note spaces 1,5,and 11 are based on who is left in the 23

believe me i wont to win the world cup, but am amazed this bloke gets 6 million a year after recnt shocking decisions...

come on england...hmm

Guest newbie

spot on football person alough darren bent if you look at the stats and the way hes scored his goals this season hasnt been as good as everyone says..walcot should have gone s.w.p is a waste of time.

No way walcott should have gone he is extremley over rated! has done nothing for arse and had one good game for england against croatia!for me capello should have took johnson!

bent scored 24 in the premier league last year, scoring against man utd (vidic,ferdinand,evans), chelsea (terry,alex, carvalho), liverpool(carragher :SM_carton: etc), spurs (king woodgate dawson) in the process, and plays in whats regarded as the toughest league in the world :wacko:

the villa player scored against burnley,sunderland and burnley again...but apparantley, he brings the best out of rooney!! when fabio picks him for the next squad, bent should tell him to do 1.

this defence will concede, so we need to outscore the opposition.

walcott unfortunately has been ruined by sven, heaping needless pressure on him. merson recently commented that he hasnt improved since he joined arsenal. the croatian hatrick-1st 2 goals, ball came to him at the back post, good 1st touch, good finishes. 3rd came from through ball showed pace granted, but by this time, the left bank had been sent off.

your counting the beach ball goal? seriously? still i guess if it was me i would claim it to..jamie c shouldnt be anywere near the right back postion or south africa even as a liverpool fan i know that was wrong.bent has had one good season. No one has ever gave the aston villa player a chance hes always been slated for not scoring enough goals etc... and hes constantly bein put under the microscope..he provides chances for his team mates ..second point i want to discuss just quickly ..the world cup ball...same for both teams but why on earth do they make it so it swerves so much?(not using and excuse for greens error ) lol

Why dont FIFA choose the ball 4 years in advance so everyone is used to it? Doing it a few weeks in advance makes a mockery of the greatest show on earth. Likewise, do the crackdown on whatever offence is flavour of the month (shirt pulling?)starting in August and they may have eliminated by 2014!

It was a complete joke for a start green should of never of been even in the squad just look at the amount of goals he let in for west ham we just dont have england goalies like we use to when we had shilton and clemence .Joe hart is the best of the lot but its too early to put him but he will be the no1 in 4 years so that leaves calamity james but he will be there on fri for the algeria match so look out for another howler .Also bringing along a player like ledley king who is yet again injured what a joke that was he should of wheeled ols sol cambell out in his zimmer he is still a good defender ,i thought heskey should of been mom but most of the team where just average but gerrard gave 100% as usual.

What a bunch of ***** ITV are. Take there coverage away, I say, and give it to anyone else on the free-to-air platform!

That was as good as it got though mate, you didn't miss much. Rooney the next Pele was Pele that crap.

Rooney spent large parts of the game having to come back into midfield to get the ball. He didn't get the right service. On the whole, we played well and should've won comfortably. The Americans didn't create much in the second half and were content to sit back and defend the draw. Gerrard was certainly our best player and it's good to see that. Support the players and the manager and avoid over-criticism, that's what I think.

Gerrard in behind Rooney with Rooney staying right up front, Barry in the middle with Lampard! That to me would be the best situation!

However, the whole country needs to realise that yes, we have some great individual players, but as a team we're not great at all. Portugal, Holland, Spain, Germany all pee all over us in technique and ability, we're relying on the Bulldog spirit!

5-2-3-4-8, no not a new formation, but the amount of goals he's scored in the last 5 seasons, which equates to roughly the same as darren bent this season. take away the beach ball goal, and guess what, bents still got more :clapper:

running back through competitive matches

usa 1-1 heskey played, no rooney goal.

belarus won 3-0, no heskey, no rooney playing

ukraine lost 1-0, heskey played, no rooney goal (green sent off after 13 mins,but still no goals)

croatia won 5-1, heskey played, 1 rooney goal

andorra won 6-0, no heskey, 2 roonet goals

kazakhstan won 4-0 heskey played and scored, 1 rooney goal

ukraine won 2-1, no heskey, no rooney goal

make up your own mind. my point is, its a myth that heskey brings out the best in players. play him at your peril capello. i just want to have the best chance to win the world cup, and that means playing the best players to have any chance...

Gerrard in behind Rooney with Rooney staying right up front, Barry in the middle with Lampard! That to me would be the best situation!

However, the whole country needs to realise that yes, we have some great individual players, but as a team we're not great at all. Portugal, Holland, Spain, Germany all pee all over us in technique and ability, we're relying on the Bulldog spirit!

Got to agree Rooney and Gerrard seem to have an understanding when they have played together. Englands best right winger is Glen Johnson, Joe Cole on the other side. Game on!

What is it with the fickle English?

The world cup comes around every 4 years and we as football fans have the opportunity to see some of the best footballers in the world but when it comes to us the English we seem to adopt a very negative attitude towards our own team

Ok Rob Green made a mistake and that’s exactly what it was just a mistake, it is unfortunate that it happened in such an important game but he has played well in qualifiers and deserved the no1 shirt

How many of us who play football have made costly mistakes (Be honest) how about the old controlling of a football when you put your foot out and the ball either rolls over our under your foot and goes out for a throw or corner (Basic schoolboy error)

I do not know what it is with the English weather it be a fan or the press but everyone seems to get so much pleasure from putting the team down instead of supporting the team and thinking ahead

Yes we did not play well and yes the result was bad but having watched the other 2 teams in our group today I would be very surprised if we did not qualify and if the USA end up on the same amount of points as us then goal difference will count

I don’t think we should drop Green and although some may think Hart is a better keeper im sure that most would agree that he lacks international experience and the world cup is not the premiership it is a total different kettle of fish altogether

There were a lot of minuses form Saturdays game against the USA but at the same time there were positives and I for one think Capello is no mug and will get it right

Lets be positive, Lets be confident, let’s be behind the team and most of all let us be proud of our country and believe that we can win

One other point which I keep hearing commentators go on about is that damn ball?

FFS a ball is supposed to be round and Germany had no trouble whatsoever with it as they slammed 4 past the Aussies

Do yourself a favour be positive and support your country because this is the time where we put all of our differences behind us and forget about the clubs we support because we become one and have the same hope

I am 100% English and proud to be

I totally agree with cockerkneeboy...

Only Brazil in 1970 have dominated every game of a World Cup; and they were the greatest team to have ever lived playing in a climate that suited them!

If you look at most World Cup the eventual winners or the finalist often struggle in some games... Italy drew with the USA in a group game in the last World Cup & they went on to win it so let's be positive!

Argentina in 1990 & Italy in 1994 both lost their opening games and reached the final... Germany in 1990 only actually won 3 games with goals from open play as they drew a group game, won the semi against us on penalties & won the QF & final 1-0 thanks to a penalty being the winning goal.

It's not how you start a tournament it's how you finish it... I realise that England need to improve & we need Barry to come back as a holding player but let's get behind the team...

I certainly still believe we're good enough to win it!

exactly right, we wait for 4 years for a world cup to come around, and what do we get...a manager on 6 million a year, making schoolboy errors left right and centre...if we play 4-4-2 next game, win 10-0, have heskey up front, have lamps and gerrard in the middle, i will be gutted..

it is going to be difficult to win this world cup, all i want is the italian to play our best formation, best players,to at least give us a chance...unbelievable

Guest Monty

As a great lover of football we should all just enjoy the World cup and support who ever ( As i`ve put £20 on Spain). A little bit of faith for England but at the same time try to be realistic which makes it such a beautiful game that we all love and hate at the same time. England will never win the World cup again as in the same mould as Uruguary because the game as changed so much that we are just another big nation that has not kept up with this sport from grass roots level to Pro Academies, and instead of playing for the love of the game it all boils down to money, So called big players on big money not producing the results in big games same old same old. Cant even beat USA what chance do we really have???

As a great lover of football we should all just enjoy the World cup and support who ever ( As i`ve put £20 on Spain). A little bit of faith for England but at the same time try to be realistic which makes it such a beautiful game that we all love and hate at the same time. England will never win the World cup again as in the same mould as Uruguary because the game as changed so much that we are just another big nation that has not kept up with this sport from grass roots level to Pro Academies, and instead of playing for the love of the game it all boils down to money, So called big players on big money not producing the results in big games same old same old. Cant even beat USA what chance do we really have???

How many other countries have allowed their premier football to be swamped by foreign players,thus stifling the chances of home players to come through the ranks?

Guest Monty

The most profitable league in the world is the Bundesliga(Germany) because they insist on home grown talent and it pays off buy the way there national team are playing at the moment, As Franz Beckenbauer stated we have gone backwards with Capello and i personally tend to think that we have not even gone forwards with Capello, and are foreign coaches really any good for the national game.

england are rubbish i dont know why all of you are so surprised i thought the point was a good result even america look more fluent than us.you need technique and to be comfortable in possesion with good movement ..england have none of that ,even teams like s korea japan who do not have the technical ability are more affective than england,because they all pass move and work really hard as a unit.argentinas 3rd team would walk into our 1st.whilst slovenia are shit they will frustrate england and the longer the game goes on the tighter it could get.england to come 2nd in the group and get raped by ze germanz :)

U S A!! U S A! U S A! U S A!

speedy, few great points. with 4-4-2 and heskey, we are so easy to mark. we have top players, we can win it, but only if the top players are played in the right 4-5-1 formation.

to reiterate, if we go 4-4-2 on friday, and win, we'll definately not win the world cup, because that rubbish italian will persist with it.

f.a. sack him now

speedy, few great points. with 4-4-2 and heskey, we are so easy to mark. we have top players, we can win it, but only if the top players are played in the right 4-5-1 formation.

to reiterate, if we go 4-4-2 on friday, and win, we'll definately not win the world cup, because that rubbish italian will persist with it.

f.a. sack him now

agree with you there hes very stubourn and tunnel visioned,heskey is, aaron lennon all the gear no idea his final ball is random and thoughtless,swp controll and dribbling is accidental.should definately have brought in adam johnson and ashley young as they are the only wide men with any guile and ability plus there final ball is alot better,as for the goalkeeper i dont understand why they havent gone with hart as hes surely a safer bet than those two even if he is inexperienced,the germans have gone with someone new and young...i think the fans always let there heart rule there head england are playing there best its just there best is far from good enough

the italian joke has confirmed that 25% fit gareth barry, will start in englands must win group game on friday. no need for altitude training for this champions league,premiership title winning, fa cup hero, who apparantly gives us shape, because it allows gerrard to play in his natural wide left position :blink:

if he does go 4-5-1 with gerrard and lamps bombing, cole and milner(or worst case scenario lennon)supporting rooney, then fair enough, at least he's got the shape right...

but if heskey remains up front, in a world cup where goals are at a premium, god help us..... :ninja: i'll find him...

monty are you still confident that spain will win the world cup. <_< no team has won when they lost their first game :wacko: with some of the results we have seen so far do you seriousely think that england do not have a chance.look at the mighty brazil last night if that was england the press would be having a field day today.how about spain "everybodies favorites"not to clever now are they.lets just get behind england for once and live the dream. :c:

capello stated barry to start (not fit),whisper on talk sport that green will start again(opta stats show most mistakes by a keeper in the prem last year),im guessing carragher will start (most fouls by a player in the prem last year) or he wouldnt have taken him, breaking on sky news that apparantley capello tried getting michael ricketts out of retirement as well :SM_carton:

capello stated barry to start (not fit),whisper on talk sport that green will start again(opta stats show most mistakes by a keeper in the prem last year),im guessing carragher will start (most fouls by a player in the prem last year) or he wouldnt have taken him, breaking on sky news that apparantley capello tried getting michael ricketts out of retirement as well :SM_carton:

I'm confident we'll beat them but it's not exactly encouraging, is it?

Well i predicted a draw england where awful drop rooney and heskey for next match drop lampard bring in joe cole and have croush and defoe up front and just pump high balls on to crouch to flick on Absolutely a shambles im off to kick the cat no cant do that he went missing 3 weeks ago ,will have to kick the neighbors cat .So thurs morning the road sweepers will be busy brushing up england flags lol .

another poor performance.

Two words - CLUELESS CAPELLO.

I'm sorry but that has to be one of the worst England performances I have ever seen. SOMETHING IS WRONG. If the FA had the balls they would put this man on the first plane out of the country. England players are not bad players but I would give Rooney 3 out of 10, he was dreadful. WHY. Why cant Capello see what everyone else can in that his team selections and has tactics are all wrong. It seems as if he is saying I know I am wrong and you are all right but I am going to **** it up my way. I feel for the many thousands of fans who have paid a fortune to watch what is absolute crap.

I remember when the players made Bobby Robson change the team and they could have gone on to win the bloody thing so why cant the players not get together and say to Capello you don't know what you are doing, we will do it our way. Or let the blazers do their job and send Capello home. For god sake Heskey is just not good enough, everyone knows that but not Capello. The game cried out for Joe Cole but he does not get a look in. Does he not know that playing Lampard and Gerrard together does not work. SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE CAMP. What is it. What makes good players bad, why did they look so uncomfortable on the pitch. We can all have our opinions but SOMETHING IS BADLY WRONG IN THE ENGLAND CAMP and I would have no problem in sending Capello back to Italy. I have spoken to many people tonight and everyone is confused. We cant understand it. Keep the faith. We have one match to go and we have to win it although in this form I haven't got a clue how.

another poor performance.

I'm sorry but that has to be one of the worst England performances I have ever seen. SOMETHING IS WRONG. If the FA had the balls they would put this man on the first plane out of the country. England players are not bad players but I would give Rooney 3 out of 10, he was dreadful. WHY. Why cant Capello see what everyone else can in that his team selections and has tactics are all wrong. It seems as if he is saying I know I am wrong and you are all right but I am going to **** it up my way. I feel for the many thousands of fans who have paid a fortune to watch what is absolute crap.

I remember when the players made Bobby Robson change the team and they could have gone on to win the bloody thing so why cant the players not get together and say to Capello you don't know what you are doing, we will do it our way. Or let the blazers do their job and send Capello home. For god sake Heskey is just not good enough, everyone knows that but not Capello. The game cried out for Joe Cole but he does not get a look in. Does he not know that playing Lampard and Gerrard together does not work. SOMETHING IS WRONG IN THE CAMP. What is it. What makes good players bad, why did they look so uncomfortable on the pitch. We can all have our opinions but SOMETHING IS BADLY WRONG IN THE ENGLAND CAMP and I would have no problem in sending Capello back to Italy. I have spoken to many people tonight and everyone is confused. We cant understand it. Keep the faith. We have one match to go and we have to win it although in this form I haven't got a clue how.

Players are not there to pick the team.

another pi$$ poor performance.

Players are not there to pick the team.

You are right Garf, I'm not saying the players should pick the team, what I am saying is that the players will 'do it their way'. Somebody has to take responsibility and something is clearly wrong. Capello says this is not the team that qualified. really. If that is the case then he clearly does not deserve to pick up his £5 million a year contract if what he is saying is 'I don't know what to do'. Is this going to be a brinkmanship of Italian teams that progress when they have not deserved to. Its quite clear for everyone to see in that the players themselves are confused. Yes when you pull on that short you must bust a gut for your country but everyone including the players are just confused. THE THING IS WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Taken from the telegraph.co.uk)(By Jonathan Liew)

Nobody doubted Wayne Rooney's effort against Algeria.

But the truth is that a 0-0 draw fell far short of the expectations fans had placed on the team, and when the final whistle blew, those fans expressed their displeasure.

The England forward's frustration was apparent as he walked off the pitch. He shouted at an advancing cameraman: "Nice to see your home fans boo you, that's loyal supporters." :angry: :angry:

Much will be made of Rooney's reaction and what it says about his state of mind But it sheds far more light on the mindset of the dressing room during Fabio Capello's first crisis as England manager than any bland press conference ever could.

It was a shocking performance by England - one ripped straight from the pages of Graham Taylor, Kevin Keegan or Steve McLaren. We thought Capello would be different. After this display, we remain unconvinced that he is.

England need to beat Slovenia next Wednesday to ensure they qualify for the last 16 - a Slovenia team that swept Algeria aside quite comfortably, albeit with the help of a goalkeeping howler.

England will need to improve, and yet against inferior opposition, England regressed shockingly from their display against the USA, which now appears almost accomplished in comparison.

Thousands of fans have travelled thousands of miles and paid thousands of pounds to watch the England team. They felt cheated, and made that clear at full-time.

But is there not a danger of England's failure becoming self-perpetuating? If the cause of England's problems was pressure and inhibition, isn't this very public condemnation bound to exacerbate them?

Should England fans be trying to take the pressure off the players, rather than piling it on? Or should England - our England - be equipped to deal with whatever is thrown at it, even if it is by its own supporters?

Cracking write up and one i have to say i agree with