Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Football Forum Charity Match - RAPPO vs DEACON

RAPPO v DEACON

After last seasons success, it gives me great pleasure to announce the second annual Cornwall Football Forum - End of Season Charity Match in aid of Help For Heroes and Cornwall Air Ambulance on Saturday 29th May. Venue: Blaise Park, St Blazey AFC. 1PM KICK OFF.

Help The Heroes is a forces based charity to help support our wounded servicemen and women injured in the current conflicts. As a member of the Army who will be off to fight in Afghanistan this summer I really hope forum members will be able support the match.

As you know last year I lost 4-2, so this year I'm going to concentrate on orgainising the day and have handed the batton over to Rappo to beat Dave. There may also be a second match on the day which im in contact with leagues at the moment.

The match will be as follows. Two teams one managed by Rappo and the other by Dave Deacon.

Rappo and Dave will be selecting players each to form a side from the following:

1 x SWPL (P)

2 x SWPL (W)

2 x East Cornwall Premier League

2 x Cornwall Combination League

2 x Duchy League

2 x Mining League

2 x FHFL

1x Sunday League Representative

2 x Wildcard Selection

The selection of players will be based on a complete mixture of youth, experience and hoping to field a few Legends of Cornish Football. Some players on the Fourm have already showed their willingness to play for such a good cause.

A BBQ will be running on the day for all supporters plus a chance for a few drinks afterwards.

The game will be registered with the CCFA very soon and hope all clubs will support the release of players selected for this unique event. It will be a great chance to relax and have fun. So spread the word.

If you wish to play in the match please contact:

Dave Deacon - Mobile: 07759502408 email: davedeacon@cornishsoccer.info or PM

Rappo: PM or text 07795513033

Please include your name (member name if registered), position, the club and league you play in, contact telephone number/email address.

Any idea on the teams yet?

Straight answer is no! The game was only announced about a week ago and with it still almost two months before we play, teams are still very much in the gathering names together stage for that are interested in playing.

I know for a fact that amongst the many I've received, you're not one of them, and so presumably you've contacted Mark.

If not, just to remind you, the contact details are:-

For me, Dave Deacon, either Email me or 07759 502408

or Mark Rapsey, via PM or text 07795 513033

• 1 month later...

I have submitted my team to Rich and would just like to say thanks to everyone who asked to be involved. Obviously I can only pick a third of the people who showed an interest and it was a real nightmare trying to whittle it down!!! I hope I haven't lost any friends through this!!! :) For the last few positions I ended up putting names in a cup and the Mrs drew them out so you can blame her if you're not in the team!!! The standard of goalkeepers was amazing and I've had difficult games against all of them in the past. Any manager would have been chuffed to have had any of them!!! :(

Once again thanks to everyone who PM'd or texted.

Rappo

x

Both managers will agree the response has been outstanding this year. To be fair, we have had to in some instances pull names out of a hat due to the ammount of people wanting to be involved. The managers have had to mix and match leagues and abilitys and these are by no means a dream team. I would have loved to have organised two matches to include more people but insurance costs has ruled it out this year. Both managers have also tried to use forum members where possible. I'm hoping if you didnt make the side you can come and support the day and raise lots of cash for charity. There will be a BBQ and bar @ St Blazey FC to celebrate the end of the season. Its been emotional!

CornwallFootballForum.com Charity Match 2010

Sat 29th May 2010. Blaise Park, St Blazey AFC. 1PM KICK OFF

TEAM DEACON

Manager : Dave Deacon

Jake Ash (Truro City) Zamaretto League Premier

James Miller (Penzance) SWPL Premier

Andrew Van Evelingen (Truro City) SWPL Div 1

Daniel Burrows (Perranporth) SWPL Div 1

Peter Davey (Probus) ECPL Premier

Lee Rickard (St Dennis) ECPL Div 1

Chris Truscott (St Dominick) ECPL Div 1

Michael Rabone (Newquay) JCCL

Darren Meagor (Helston) JCCL

Lee Collins (St Cleer) Duchy Premier

Neil Williams (Torpoint Athletic) Duchy Premier

Alex Matthews (Carharrack) FHFL

Barry Leete (Perranporth) FHFL

Ralph Pascoe (Robartes) Mining

Jason Peters (Threemilestone) Mining

Graham Rule (St Blazey) Sunday League

Darren Burchell (Porthlevern) Wildcard

TEAM RAPPO

Manager: Mark Rapsey

Martin Watts (Truro City) Zamaretto League Premier

Paul Hider (Launceston) SWPL Premier

Ian Gosling (Perranporth) SWPL Div 1

Dale Band (Penryn) SWPL Div 1

Chris Davey (Probus) ECPL Premier

Steve Allen (Perranwell) JCCL

Phil Willey (Illogan) JCCL

Paul Williams (Perranwell) JCCL

Matthew Williams (Tywardreath) Duchy 2

Guy Johnson (Redruth Utd) Mining

Liam Patterson (Threemilestone) Mining

Rich Ward (Redruth Utd) Mining

Jon Row (Trispen) FHFL

Matt Saunders (Falmouth Ath) FHFL

Graham Cook (Trispen) FHFL Wildcard

Dave Sweet (St Blazey) Sunday League

Chris Webb (Truro City Vets) Wildcard

Match Official: Lee Mitchell aka Monty

Assistant Referees: David James aka Zebedee & David Greeen aka Referee

I would like to thank St Blazey Chairman Harry Cook and his committee for the use of the ground.

Also thankyou to Midlandsman for his initial donation of £57, lets get the ball rolling.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately Due to 5 players pulling out through injury and rearranged games this is now my updated squad for Saturday. Looking forward to raising a few quid for a brilliant charity. :clapper:

The squad:

Martin Watts (Truro City) Zamaretto League Premier

Paul Hider (Launceston)SWPL Premier

Ian Gosling (Perranporth) SWPL Division 1

Kevin Wills (Stoke Gabriel) SWPL Division 1

Chris Davey (Probus) ECL Premier League

Glynn Hooper (St Blazey) ECL Division 1

Steve Allen (Perranwell) JCCL

Paul Williams (Perranwell) JCCL

Matthew Williams (Tywardreath) Duchy 2

Guy Johnson (Redruth Utd) Mining

Liam Patterson (Threemilestone) Mining

Darren Buckley (Storm) Mining

Graham Cook (Trispen) FHL

Matt Saunders (Falmouth Ath) FHL

Marc Taylor (Trispen) FHL

Chris Webb (Truro City Vets) Sunday League

Martin Gritton (Chesterfield) Wildcard

Physio: Martine Ede

Looking forward to it - hopefully see you all on Saturday. :thumbsup:

Rappo

Good to see Mark that you've weakened your side by bringing in unknowns such as ex-Truro favourite Kevin Wills (scorer of one the Vase winning goals at Wembley), a striker who'll never find the back of the net if he played all day - Glyn Hooper (just notched his 300 goal for St Blazey), and who's this Martin Gritton? Over 200 Football League appearances and approaching 70 goals! :clapper:

Good to see Mark that you've weakened your side by bringing in unknowns such as ex-Truro favourite Kevin Wills (scorer of one the Vase winning goals at Wembley), a striker who'll never find the back of the net if he played all day - Glyn Hooper (just notched his 300 goal for St Blazey), and who's this Martin Gritton? Over 200 Football League appearances and approaching 70 goals! :clapper:

Thanx Dave!!! :) Having played for you,i know your a crafty tactician so thought better throw in some big guns!!! Im still abit concerned about all those young legs you got running around on Blazeys big pitch though mate!!! Some fantastic players on both teams so hope everyone spreads the word and we get a good crowd through the gate to support this brilliant charity. Well done to Rich for all his hard work. :thumbsup:

Guest Chris B

Sounds like it's going to be a cracking game! Shame i can't be there this year as i'm currently somewhere very hot.. But glad i played in last years game!

All the best for the game and hopefully alot of cash will be raised!!!

Guest Burchy

Ping central tomorrow!!!!!!!

quite nervous.... first outing on a pitch for 10 months!!!!

be good to hook up with wills'y and gritts... their ordaniary!!! ;)

burchy ill bring my top i made for you when u was down porthleven !! good luck to everyone !! espically my star man alex matthews whos only 18 making his forum debut!! go do me proud boy!! i will be there but late as we have a basement battle with ruan minor 2day so.. dont score till i get there!!

Deacon 3 – 2 Rapsey

Dave Deacon retained the Cornwall Football Forum Help for Heroes trophy after a marginal victory in wet conditions at Blaise Park this afternoon.

Following 4-2 success at Carharrack against Richard Chowne last season, Deacon welcomed the challenge of local goalscoring legend Mark Rapsey and felt confident that he could retain his silverware for another season.

Early encounters indicated that it was going to be a tight affair, with the slick Blaise Park pitch making for excellent conditions despite the humidity, however, a rapid-fire double from Perranporth’s Barry Leete provided Deacon’s side with a deserved early lead. Truro’s Jake Ash pushed forward and found Lee Rickard of St. Dennis, who curled a pin-point cross into the area for Leete to sweep home an outstanding right foot volley into the far corner of the net with Paul Hider well beaten. Just two minutes later Leete doubled his tally when a poor clearance fell to Rickard who squared the ball to allow Leete to curl another right-footed finish into the bottom right hand corner with of Hider’s net.

Lee Rickard, scorer of three goals in this fixture last season, was denied by Buckley’s flag when through on goal. Deacon’s side pushed forward on a regular basis with Penzance’s James Miller looking a threat when cutting in from the wing and Miller was unfortunate not to add a third. Rapsey’s team rallied and Deacon had his first scare when Perranporth’s Danny Burrows blocked a shot that spilled out of his grasp and fortunately bounced to safety. Rapsey’s side were spurred on as Martin Gritton used his pace to outstrip the defence, sliding the ball across the box into the path of Truro defender Andy Van Evelingen, who miraculously poked the ball straight at his own goalkeeper from ten yards to deny what looked like a great opportunity to reduce the deficit.

Deacon’s side sat back to defend their lead and were happy to counter attack with James Miller at the centre of their attacking play, Rapsey’s side had Trispen’s Marc Taylor to thank after a last-ditch challenge that prevented Miller from capitalising on a clear opportunity on goal. Rapsey’s side broke quickly and Martin Watts saw Burrows off his line and watched on as his lofted strike went agonisingly over the crossbar. Rapsey’s side were in the ascendency and were unlucky not to reduce the deficit when excellent build up play resulted in cross being headed back across goal by Gritton. Trispen’s Graham Cook took the ball in his stride and could only watch on as his drive from the penalty spot struck the crossbar and bounced away to safety. Despite the pressure, Deacon’s back four held their nerve, with Pete Davey (Probus) leading by example with an outstanding challenge with Gritton bearing down on goal. Deacon rotated his players in the first half and introduced Newquay’s Michael Rabone late on. Rabone had a perfect opportunity to extend the lead, chipping over Hider but also over the bar.

Despite a spirited fight back from Rapsey’s eleven, Deacon’s side were good value for their first-half lead, a combination of Leete’s finishing and some good fortune putting another trophy in the grasp of Dave Deacon.

The second half was a different matter, with Deacon’s side finding it difficult to contend with the attacking power of Rapsey’s experienced forward line. St Blazey’s Glynn Hooper had an outstanding opportunity to cut the lead and squandered a chance from six yards when well placed to score. Despite the lucky break, Deacon’s side were reduced to sporadic counter attacks and excellent link-up play from Leete and Rickard resulted in a fine save from Perranwell’s Paul Williams. Blazey’s Graham Rule picked up the ball inside his own half and broke forward, finding Rickard who returned the favour, only for Rule to run out of steam having covered over fifty yards with Williams untested.

Rapsey’s side continued to threaten with quick counter attacks and Gritton tried his luck from thirty yards with a first time volley that sailed wide. Truro’s Martin Watts looked likely to score and was presented with a perfect opportunity when Gosling’s pinpoint centre was headed into his path at the far post. Watts looked odds on to score and somehow managed to head the ball onto the underside of the bar from close range, much to the frustration of Rapsey who was beginning to believe that Deacon’s side were on the right end of some more good fortune. However, Rapsey’s side got the break they deserved, continued pressure resulted in a corner and a quick routine resulted in a low cross from Rapsey that Gritton stepped over for Graham Cook to slide home an excellent finish past the helpless Burrows.

Just as Rapsey’s side looked to get back into the game, both Miller and Leete tried their luck from outside the box, with both strikes marginally wide of the target. Deacon’s defence looked vulnerable to the waves of attack from Rapsey’s strikeforce and somehow managed to extend their lead, a long ball from the impressive Darren Burchell found Rickard, who used his pace to break the offside trap to touch the ball around Williams and into the empty net. However, Deacon’s side were unable to hold on to their lead for long, with Gosling continuing to threaten from both wings. Gosling created space on the right and floated a perfect cross for Gritton to head home from six yards. With ten minutes remaining, Rapsey’s all out attack formation looked to have paid off when a corner from the left was headed goalwards and Deacon looked anxiously on as referee Lee Mitchell appeared to have given a goal. Sadly for Rapsey, the comeback was denied by a free kick to the defending team for an infringement in the box.

Despite the pressure, Deacon’s side continued to play cavalier style of football, going close on two occasions following a goalmouth scramble, with Williams making another good save from the impressive Miller. Quite how Rapsey’s side didn’t forge an equalised in the last five minutes will remain a mystery; Burrows denied Hooper from the edge of the area, Gritton drove wide after opting to shoot first time and defender Steve Allen arrived at the back post and headed wide. Ian Gosling looked a continued threat and his inch-perfect cross was side-footed home by Watts at the far post, only to be denied by Chowne’s flag. At the other end, a rare late attack resulted in Rabone smashing a low volley a yard wide of Williams post. Gosling then had a golden opportunity to forge a late equaliser, working space in the area to strike goalwards, only to watch on as his low shot beat Burrows but not the foot of the post.

With Deacon’s side holding on after some very good fortune, Mitchell ended a very entertaining battle with the final whistle.

Thank you to Richard Chowne for his contribution to another outstanding event to raise money for Help for Heroes and Cornwall Air Ambulance and also to St Blazey Football Club for hosting a fantastic afternoon; the support of the sixty individuals attending today's game was very much appreciated.

Man of the match – James ‘Graham’ Miller for an outstanding attacking performance.

Team Deacon - Jake Ash (Truro City), James Miller (Penzance), Andrew Van Evelingen (Truro City), Daniel Burrows (Perranporth), Peter Davey (Probus), Lee Rickard (St Dennis), Chris Truscott (St Dominick), Michael Rabone (Newquay), Darren Meagor (Helston), Lee Collins (St Cleer), Neil Williams (Torpoint Athletic), Alex Matthews (Carharrack), Barry Leete (Perranporth), Jason Peters (Threemilestone), Graham Rule (St Blazey), Darren Burchell (Porthlevern)

Team Rapsey - Martin Watts (Truro City), Paul Hider (Launceston), Ian Gosling (Perranporth), Kevin Wills (Stoke Gabriel), Chris Davey (Probus), Glynn Hooper (St Blazey), Steve Allen (Perranwell), Paul Williams (Perranwell), Matthew Williams (Tywardreath), Guy Johnson (Redruth Utd), Liam Patterson (Threemilestone), Darren Buckley (Storm), Graham Cook (Trispen), Matt Saunders (Falmouth Ath), Marc Taylor (Trispen), Chris Webb (Truro City Vets), Martin Gritton (Chesterfield), Martine Ede (physio)