Cornwall Football Forum

Applications to join the ECPL next season

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunniplayer

i can confirm that gunnislake have applied for ECPL least thats what i heard from our commitee, and obviously the ECPL commitee had worries about our pitch which is understandable considering we dont play a home game from november til feburary, but we have been offered another pitch which meets the ECPL requirements....so watch this space and maybe gunni can be playing senior teams next season

You need to try and win the league first Gunniplayer which personnally I don't think your do!

Good luck though, your need it!!

What would you advise then Pointy Man? Sit in a little comfy zone like you do every season and then tell the whole of the county how brilliant you are? :rolleyes:

Guest Skippy8

You need to try and win the league first Gunniplayer which personnally I don't think your do!

Good luck though, your need it!!

What would you advise then Pointy Man? Sit in a little comfy zone like you do every season and then tell the whole of the county how brilliant you are? :rolleyes:

We can't go up as we have senior teams already!!! So this comfort zone your on about is as far as we can go!!!!

I'm not saying not to move forward I'm just saying I don't think you have the team to do it!!!!

You have the wrong person by the way!!!

Applications to join the ECPL next season:

From P&D - Wessex & Tamarside

Wessex - Ravo this true?

Tamarside - Could their v.good U18's become their ECPL team?

Just a question..... if a Cornish team finished bottom of ECPL Div 1 then they would be asked to go into the Duchy..... so would a team from Plymouth be asked to join the P&D again if they came bottom?

Does league standings even come into it anymore? St Dennis didnt win the league last year and they were successful, Dobwalls weren't even in the Prem and they were considered and Millbrook didnt even have a team and they got in ok. The league have opened up potential problems for themselves by anyone applying to get in, Gunny could have a strong argument for going up even if they finish 3rd by using ST Dennis as an example.

bigdawg couldnt agree with u more, it doesnt seem to matter where u finish in the league look at millbrook werent even in a league last season now east cornwall, they should have been in duchy 5 this season, in my opinion you have 2 start at the bottom.

skippy8 have u seen us play this season? or are u basing ur opinion on last seasons team? & what garf is saying is that ur players only play in the duchy league because there in there comfort zone there rather than playing for ur 2nd team or trying themselfs at another east cornwall or southwestern league team

Guest Skippy8

skippy8 have u seen us play this season? or are u basing ur opinion on last seasons team? & what garf is saying is that ur players only play in the duchy league because there in there comfort zone there rather than playing for ur 2nd team or trying themselfs at another east cornwall or southwestern league team

For your information 90per cent have played in CSWL or ECPL and are either playing out there last years in football in there own town so not much travelling or because of work commitments and can't travel some of the distances that are required at CSWL or they simply want to stay with a team they started with when it was formed 8 or so years ago in duchy 5 and just stay loyal.

if bodmin pull out of the league that would mean an extra team goin up from div 1 then surely another spot for the likes of st teath or gunni. ive played against both teams and think they would do fine in the ecl

Thanks skyblues i agree that both st teath & gunni would do well in east cornwall and if you dont go up this season would be looking forward to playing you lot again! can anyone confirm if there would b an extra spot in the league for 2 teams from the duchy?

Guest Skippy8

want to stay with a team they started with when it was formed 8 or so years ago in duchy 5

Are there many that have been there for all the 8 years? Not having a dig, just interested in knowing who they are. :)

Yeah there are still a few, Danny Rogers, Danny Dunstan, Alex Gates and joint manager Kev Court who has stopped playing as he is to old to keep up with the youngsters!!!

I think only Duchy Premier champions or a Premier side that manages to win the Junior Cup ie St. Dennis!

st teath and gunnislake according to the duchy website

I'm always surprised by Gunnislake's failure to capitalise in Duchy Premier, they, in my eyes, represent a side of mediocrity.

I expected them to really push on for promotion years ago after St Stephen's elevation, but alas! no. Come the end of the season they seem to languish in mid-table, content with a dream of playing ECPL football.

Guest gunniplayer

since i have been with gunni at the age of 16 and now im 23 i can say this is the youngest but strongest side the club has had.many of our players are under 25 and been playing together for a few seasons now.

we have a strong management and the best coach around.were fired up to win the league this year but as are torpoint and st teath so it will be very tight come the end of the season. Personally i thought last season's duchy premier league was the strongest it has ever been and the teams that were promoted last season were the best 2 football teams in junior football

Have i missed something,whats this about Bodmin pulling out.dont understand unless they are looking to go up and i dont think they can do that.The duchy league rule is the same as its always been,Champions up only.The ecpl then have to make there mind up if they need any more teams to make up the numbers,thats about it,but as we have found out in the past teams can be voted in ,it is up to the member clubs who they accept.The whole thing is then approved or not by the ccfa and then we wait and see wether the applications have a team ground,changing rooms etc.I have no doubt there will be a few surprises once again.

since i have been with gunni at the age of 16 and now im 23 i can say this is the youngest but strongest side the club has had.many of our players are under 25 and been playing together for a few seasons now.

we have a strong management and the best coach around.were fired up to win the league this year but as are torpoint and st teath so it will be very tight come the end of the season. Personally i thought last season's duchy premier league was the strongest it has ever been and the teams that were promoted last season were the best 2 football teams in junior football

This may well be the case, but Gunnislake should have at LEAST been in contention for promotion.

Time will tell, but IF Gunnislake secure promotion or indeed claim the Duchy title it will be long overdue from an underachieving side that is always willing to advocate its remarkable qualities, yet consistently falters when it really matters.

:blink: I think a few seasons back St.Blazey and Bude Town were invited to join the new East Cornwall League,even though they never won or finished high enough to properly qualify,and if im not completely wrong i think one of those said teams actually should have been relegated to Duchy 1?So if thats the case then, qualifying criteria is not all that vital?

Guest thebigfella

Applications to join the ECPL next season:

From P&D - Wessex & Tamarside

Wessex - Ravo this true?

Tamarside - Could their v.good U18's become their ECPL team?

Just a question..... if a Cornish team finished bottom of ECPL Div 1 then they would be asked to go into the Duchy..... so would a team from Plymouth be asked to join the P&D again if they came bottom?

I think Wessex Rangers would make a good addition to the league but their facilities leave alot to be desired. The pitch, albeit on a slope, could be fine, but the changing and showering facilities are awful.

Tamarside were a tremendous additional a few years ago, but financial restrictions and the break up of their side meant they withdrew on the eve of the 2008/09 (???) season. I am sure the ECPL would want some assurances from the Tamarside management that their application and any potential acceptance would be for the long haul and not a short term measure.

The P&D (or P&WDCL) has deteriorated dramatically over the years and any club with ambition are doing themselves no favours whatsoever playing in a league which, if I understand correctly, is no longer a feeder for the SWPL. I no longer think that either side would find it comfortable in ECPL1 as the standard of the Plymouth league is nowhere near where it used to be.

Tamarside have always had ambitions of playing in the SWPL eventually, so it would seem a natural progression to reapply for the ECPL as this is now the only route open to them.

Tamarside's U18 side is indeed very talented, but in all fairness, their 1st Team isn't too bad either. Wessex are currently top of the division, but have played more games than most while Tamarside have only lost once in the League and have progressed well in the Devon County Cup. They have a good mix of youth and experience, with striker Ryan Richards the ace in the pack.

Personally, as a local and a previous follower of Tamarside in the ECPL, I would like to see them back in the league, but would hope that they can put together a stronger committee, financial and management structure to ensure that the same problems don't reoccur.

Here's one for you... How about an amalgamation of the P&WDCL and the ECPL?

Yes, that's right... the Plymouth and East Cornwall Combination League!! I have heard that this has been tentatively discussed!!!

Premier Division - with ground, facility and financial criteria

Division One - with ground criteria

Division Two (East) - mostly Plymouth teams

Division Two (West) - mostly Cornish teams

Discuss...

JUST TO LET PEOPLE NO THAT THE NEW ROOF WILL GO ON AT THE END OF THE SEASON AND THE CLUB HAS GOT A SPONSER TO DO THE SHOWERS FOR NXT SEASON, YES THE AWAY CHANGING ROOM IS NOT AS GOOD AS MAYBE SOUTHWEST PENINSULA STANDARD, BUT AS LONG AS IT GOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED THEN SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM. I AGREE THO TO GOOD CLUBS THAT COULD HOLD THERE OWN IN THAT LEAGUE.

Guest thebigfella

Ravo? Darren Raven I presume? Sorry, not been on here for ages.

Glad to see Wessex are finally planning to revamp the changing facilities. They have been awful for years. However, do you still have problems with the running water and the showers... the last time I was there they looked like a health hazard!! LOL

Seriously, it would be great is both Wessex and Tamarside could successfully transfer across to the ECPL.

I also happen to think an amalgamation of the P&WDCL and ECPL could be a huge benefit to football in the area. I'm not sure the blinkered and stubborn members of the P&WDCL would entertain it though. Their short sightedness and high & mighty attitude is the main reason for the decline of that league over the years.

Good luck for the rest of the season Ravo!

THANKS thebigfella, I DO AGREE IT WAS A DISASTER AREA UP THERE AND THERE IS STILL MORE TO DO, BUT LIKE ALOT OF TEAMS AT PRESENT MONEY NOT GROWING ON THOSE TREES, SO THE CLUB WILL HAVE IT DONE BY THE END OF SEASON. I DO AGREE THE P/D LEAGUE STRUGGLING, MORE WITH THE FACILITYS, THE TOP 5/6 SIDES ARE AT A GOOD STANDARD FOOTBALL WISE, AND IF SOME OF THE OTHER TEAMS HAD THERE OWN PITCHS INSTEAD OF COW FIELDS CAUSE OF THE COUNCIL, THEN THAY COULD IMPROVE, THATS WHY A LEAGUE LIKE THAT WOULD BE GREAT. CANT SEE IT THO bigfella.

Guest PUAFC Gaffer

bigdawg couldnt agree with u more, it doesnt seem to matter where u finish in the league look at millbrook werent even in a league last season now east cornwall, they should have been in duchy 5 this season, in my opinion you have 2 start at the bottom.

Quite agree Padstow Utd Duchy Div 5

ECPL & PD join forces, that would be very interesting combination. Would the 2 committees would together ?

But according to the P & D website the majority of the committee are standing down.

In principle it sounds a good idea, definately worth looking into. I would give it the thumbs up.

It would be interesting to read comments from Plymouth Clubs playing in the ECPL.

Referees officiate in both leagues, so that would not be a problem

Guest Postie Pidge

Where do Wessex Rangers play and how bad are the facilities?

Also where is Gunnislake's planned pitch? and what is wrong with Bealswood Road? (apart from the flooding)

Guest fromacrossthewater

Wessex play at Yelverton on a nightmare of a slope and have (in my opinion) one of the worst changing facilities in the league. They do have a half decent side that could hold their own in ecl1.

Guest thebigfella

Hedgerow

It would be interesting to read comments from Plymouth Clubs playing in the ECPL.

Yes think of the interesting places they could visit, Victoria park, Tothill Park, Jennycliffe, Bull Point, Stadiscombe :SM_carton:

Jennycliffe and Bull Point aren't all that bad!! But to be honest the clubs playing at venues like Victoria Park and Staddiscombe would be playing locally anyway as they would, in my version of the revamp, be playing the the Division 2 regional league.

The current ECPL Premier and Division One contains clubs from both sides of the Tamar anyway, so the introduction of a Division Two East and West would not effect be a huge problem for the 'lesser' sides in terms of travelling etc.

The only debate I guess would be the relationship and position in the pyramid and how this might affect other leagues, like the Duchy League, which is a very well run league indeed. However, the Duchy Premier could still filter into ECPL1 provided the clubs meet certain criteria, as could the new ECPL2 East and West.

The P&WDCL have something like 36 teams in their Saturday section (some clubs have reserve sides), but I would not expect all of those to survive a major restructure like this. I believe many clubs, particularly in the lower Division 3 would probably fold, or transfer across to the Sunday section, which could then be run independantly again.

I have lived in Plymouth all my life, and played in the Plymouth Leagues, East Cornwall and the old Devon League and South Western Leagues. Football in the city has deteriorated at an alarming rate, particularly over the last 10 years due to a number of reasons, but mainly due to poor support from Plymouth City Council and the shortsightedness of the League Officials.

The P&WDCL got a shot in the arm when Tamarside moved across, shortly followed by the likes of Plymouth Parkway and Elburton Villa. This led to them trying to change the approach and to increase the quality of facilities in the Premier Division, however it was all about 8 years too late and the horse had already bolted. Eventually they lost their Premier status and now any club playing in the P&WDCL with any sort of ambition are stuffed... like, Tamarside, Wessex and even Old Suttonians, Staddiscombe, Lee Moor and Mount Gould.

I understand that brief and tentative discussions have taken place over a possible amalgamation, but I really don't think that they've gone any further than that. Personally, I believe it would be a fantastic boost for football in the region and I strongly believe that the slightly more proactive and forward thinking officials at the ECPL should grab the bull by the horns and get talking to those at the P&WDCL.

Like I mentioned before, it would not necessarily effect the 2 divisions at Senior Level and I would love to see a league structured like this:

Plymouth & East Cornwall Combination League:

PREMIER DIVISION

DIVISION ONE

DIVISION TWO - EAST

DIVISION TWO - WEST

Promotion to Div 1 from either Div 2 East/West or the Duchy Premier could depend on certain ground criteria being met.

Guest gunniplayer

there isnt anything wrong with bealswood road at all its great to play on WHEN its dry and i have no doubt alot of teams would enjoy playing on a flat pitch.The problem lays with the parish council. we have numberous times applied to them to update and improve the changing rooms also to lay drainage to the pitch, all to be rejected. They wouldnt of even had to lift a finger as the club would of done all the work itself but not even that helped.

This is the reason we have seeked to find a new pitch, to move the the club forward.

there isnt anything wrong with bealswood road at all its great to play on WHEN its dry and i have no doubt alot of teams would enjoy playing on a flat pitch.The problem lays with the parish council. we have numberous times applied to them to update and improve the changing rooms also to lay drainage to the pitch, all to be rejected. They wouldnt of even had to lift a finger as the club would of done all the work itself but not even that helped.

This is the reason we have seeked to find a new pitch, to move the the club forward.

In regard to the Gunnislake pitch (King George's / Bealswood Road). I discovered (after conversing with a few locals some years back) that the difficulty in relation to drainage is that the pitch is upon a mound a 'spoil', excess from the old brickworks in the area. Consequently absorbing the surface water after a night of rain takes far longer. One gent I spoke to rebuffed the idea of installing any form of drainage, firstly because of the expense involved, and secondly that it would only be of limited success, considering the problem stated above.

As 'gunniplayer' correctly states, the pitch is great when dry, but I assume the reasoning behind the council's decision lies not out of spite for the club, but merely of the effectiveness of such a costly development.

It appears Calstock's recent grant is credible, considering the lack of a flat surface in or around the village and aside from the flooding Tamar, no such mining works took place at close proximity. (I happened to have been informed also that the village is a frequent recipient of funding from the council, whereas Gunnislake is often starved... Make of that what you will...)

To acrossthewater, yes the pitch is on a slope, but i have been in worse changing rooms, I am leaving at the end of the season and i would love the club to be given a chance in this league, thay got great people up there, and the facilitys i think are good enougth and will be made better for the league.

Lets hope the ECPL don't once again lower their standards and let in teams who do not stay the course (like Tamarside) and have poor grounds etc.It is suppose to be the East Cornwall PREMIER league so lets set some minimum standards and make sure these are adeared to.

Guest The chancer

I have watched local football for a number of years in the Plymstock area and have watched Elburton and Plymstock utd at swpl and ecpl standard. After watching Plymstocks seconds struggling in the P&D premier then switching to ecpl they have improved tremendously, Elburton have been one of the best teams in that league for the last two seasons so i think it is a higher standard than the P&d and i have been impressed with the standard of football played. In all respects the ecpl IS the swpl/penninsula reserve league - so some useful players on view.

I have heard it said Deans cross is one of the poorer grounds in the league, yet every P&D team would love to play there every week! -says it all about the quality of local Plymouth playing surfaces. Haye rd has fantastic pitches but facilities not as good as Plymstocks (clubhouse etc).

Cornish football at ecpl level is certainly a step up from our local football in the Plymouth area so it is no wonder Wessex, Tamarside are eager to join the party.

It would be interesting to hear any Cornish supporters comments on Villa/utds inclusion in the Ecpl? have they improved or lessened the quality???

Guest fromacrossthewater

Ravo - if your leaving at the end of the season, are all the players gonna leave too? U have to admit that the changing rooms are appauling and the last time I went there, there was only a curtain separating the 2 teams.

Yes Postie Pidge, it is the same pitch where Gunislake beat the Falmouth Western League side (1981 I believe) with Kelvin Howe scoring the winner.

The changing rooms will need tarting up and ideally some drainage needs to be put in place.

The main problem with the drainage is that the council will not let the pitch be dug up at the moment due to 'Health and Safety' reasons. In their wisdom, someone from the local council has decided that due to higher than normal levels of Arsenic in the area they want in dpeth soil investigations to be carried out before any drainage works can start. However, it was absoultely fine for the water board to dig part of the pitch up last year and lay a water pipe!!. Double standards somewhere or is it a case of someone from the council doesn't want the football club to progress?

In the fifty years or so of football being played on that pitch never heard of anyone going to hospital because of something picked from playing on the pitch.

As for Doodle commenting on the make up of the pitch: In the 1960's the Club held a 24 hour football match which at the time was a Guiness World Record and with the money raised from the event, the pitch was levelled out with soil being imported from the area where Woodland Way now stands. (Are these people in Woodland Way okay to dig up their gardens if the football club can't dig up their pitch?)

Hopefully these couple of things will be resolved and the club which is one of the oldest in Cornwall (formed in 1890) can return to senior football once again.

How long have Gunni played at Bealswood Road? Was it there that Western League Falmouth were beaten in the Senior Cup in the early 1980s?

I saw the Senior Cup tie the previous season 1979-80 and the Gunnislake programme/team sheet said welcolme to Gunnislake playing fields.

Although Falmouth won 2-0 they were eliminated due to Adie Coxon playing in the previous round for Torpoint Athletiv v St.Just.

The following season 1980-81 after drawing 2-2 at Bickland, Gunnislake (P & D. v Western League) triumphed 2-1 in the replay which must be regarded as their greatest ever result and at the time it was quoted as Falmouth's most humilating defeat in their history.

I beg to differ as I later witnessed Falmouth at Mangotsfield in the F A Cup.!

Guest thebigfella

Lets hope the ECPL don't once again lower their standards and let in teams who do not stay the course (like Tamarside) and have poor grounds etc.It is suppose to be the East Cornwall PREMIER league so lets set some minimum standards and make sure these are adeared to.

Bit harsh Karaoke. Tamarside withdrew after 2 seasons due to financial difficulties and the fact their whole team broke up and moved to SWPL clubs after the resignation of Darren Potter. I would hardly say that the ECPL would be lowering their standards by accepting them into the league again as the last time they were included I think the standard was actually improved... dramatically! I think Tamarside have learned some lessons in terms of committee structure to ensure this would not happen again. Perhaps Darren Stewart could enlighten us further

Cornish clubs are not all innocent when it come to 'staying the course' either you know. St Dennis and Padstow have made withdrawals from the ECPL over recent seasons too if you remember.

In response to Dane Bunney's question about Marjons, I understand they may be considering an application to the ECPL but I would offer a word of caution to the league over their inclusion. Both Marjons and University of Plymouth sides have been notoriously unreliable over the years in the P&WDCL, are normally the first to be deducted points for fielding inelligable players, failing to fulfil fixtures and often struggle to field sides during academic holidays. I would not think this would be a good move.

Guest fromacrossthewater

Bigfella - you seem to be contradicting yourself a little there, with your thoughts on Tamarside and Marjons. Marjons haven't withdrawn from the ECPL like Tamarside have.

Caution needed both ways, however Marjons have had a lot of money thrown at them of late to improve facilities, the pitch is good, not quite sure about the rest (changing rooms etc...).

Guest thebigfella

Yeah, I take your point about Tamarside and maybe the league would have to look very carefully at any application to rejoin the league... but they've let St Dennis back in.

My point about 'student' teams was more to do with the way they're run. They're difficult to get hold of, have problems raising teams at certain points in the season, struggle to follow procedure and can be unreliable 'during' the season.

Their pitch is nice, but does not currently meet criteria as it really is just a pitch... nothing else. Marjons as a college are having alot of money spent on improving sports facilities, so who knows what will come out of that?

To fromcrossthewater, i realy dont no what the lads will do nxt seaon it hasnt been talked about apart from me leaving, i do agree bud about the facilitys but that are working realy hard up there to try and get in that very good league, i hope everyone stays, got to admit them curtains are well smart tho. Lol