Cornwall Football Forum

The End for Truro City

This season will be Truro City's last as a club on the rise. They won't get promotion because they have lost too many points already to regain the play-off positions and, more importantly, the internal sniping and jealousies will convince their Chairman to cut his losses. And I don't blame him, because the very people who have enjoyed the ride so far continue to fight amongst themselves and criticise him. The recession has had its effects. The company set up to run things off the field couldn't make the clubhouse a going concern, so they've gone. The manager lost his way after some good early season tactical judgements, so he's gone. The caretaker manager has no experience of football at anywhere near this level so will struggle. Like him or not, Kevin Heaney has got the team, the club, to where it is today in the pyramid system but few people thank him. True, he seems very autocratic but then it is his money! In my one recent visit to a game I heard many "fans" having a go at just about everything, from Kevin Heaney to the groundsman (the pitch looked in fantastic nick, by the way). So I predict that the suicidal carping by people who should know better - read some of the exchanges on the Tiger Talk site today - will cause the club to implode before the end of this season and the club will go into free fall back down to level 7 - if it doesn't fold completely. I shall be sorry. When I am in Cornwall and Truro are at home it is nice to be able to see a reasonable standard of football and I had really hoped the aim of Conference Premier - very ambitious in my opinion, almost too ambitious - would be achieved in the next five years.

There was always going to be a point in the rise of Truro City Football Club when they would reach a level where "guaranteed" success was going to be more difficult. And when that point came, that's when the "glory hunters" would be tested.

This season is by no means over. If you look at the league table, games in hand allow the generosity of thinking a play-off place is still more than achievable.

However as you have touched on Common Tater, off the pitch is probably more concerning than on. How anyone has the cheek to criticise Kevin Heaney is really beyond belief when he has single handedly bankrolled the club to the tune of I reckon about £1.5 million over the period in question.

What the true position is, only a small handful know. CORNISH SOCCER is already working on getting closer to the truth and I suggest you keep in touch with this Forum to find out when the next forthcoming CORNISH SOCCER Online publication is available.

This season will be Truro City's last as a club on the rise. They won't get promotion because they have lost too many points already to regain the play-off positions and, more importantly, the internal sniping and jealousies will convince their Chairman to cut his losses. And I don't blame him, because the very people who have enjoyed the ride so far continue to fight amongst themselves and criticise him. The recession has had its effects. The company set up to run things off the field couldn't make the clubhouse a going concern, so they've gone. The manager lost his way after some good early season tactical judgements, so he's gone. The caretaker manager has no experience of football at anywhere near this level so will struggle. Like him or not, Kevin Heaney has got the team, the club, to where it is today in the pyramid system but few people thank him. True, he seems very autocratic but then it is his money! In my one recent visit to a game I heard many "fans" having a go at just about everything, from Kevin Heaney to the groundsman (the pitch looked in fantastic nick, by the way). So I predict that the suicidal carping by people who should know better - read some of the exchanges on the Tiger Talk site today - will cause the club to implode before the end of this season and the club will go into free fall back down to level 7 - if it doesn't fold completely. I shall be sorry. When I am in Cornwall and Truro are at home it is nice to be able to see a reasonable standard of football and I had really hoped the aim of Conference Premier - very ambitious in my opinion, almost too ambitious - would be achieved in the next five years.

I sincerely hope you are right common tater , Never liked the club Never will . Nothing short of an agonising end would be good enough . And to see the truro first team playing at combo level would be Wonderful :drink:

Well said snooper I have to agree with you. As for you Kitbag NO WE DON'T !!! It's upto anybody to like and dislike whoever they want to. I couldnt give a cluck what Truro City or any other club (other than the ones I follow) does be it Cornish or otherwise. Get real !!

Well it's funny that everyone seems to forget that Truro are actually ahead of Kevin Heaney's schedule for progress, I believe he was aiming for Conference, but a few years down the line. :clapper:

In fighting is common place, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

As for the bar side of things, the bar hasn't been doing much for many years, probably just before Kevin took over. The growth of the city hasn't done much for the club bar, even more coffee shops, restaurants and bars have opened up in the city centre. When it was a members club it was busy, but I think it's a sign of the times that the bar is only open on match days.

The signing of a promising young midfield player only goes to show that the investment is still being given.

It may take another season or 2, but Conference here we come. :D

Snooper and Snake, I don't want Truro to fail. I want them to succeed because having one club in Cornwall - whether it were Saltash or Penzance (though probably the further West the better now I think of it) - playing at Conference Premier level would be a HUGE boost to the game in Cornwall. Many loyal fans of other Cornish clubs understand that, but sadly others are just plain jealous because they want their club to be where Truro is. I made my comment purely as a football fan impassively observing the situation at the club. To actually want others to fail is just plain malicious and short-sighted. Let all clubs other than your own descend to the Combination League. So who would your precious team play against if it is higher than Combo now? The joy of the game is the competition, meaning lose some, win some, followed years later by happy reminiscing with former opponents about how the modern game has become one for nancies what with one thing and another including ruddy health and safety that means if there is a raindrop or snowflake on the pitch you all have to go home.

Good thinking, Merry Xmas all.

TCFC? I don't care either way. To have a Conference club in Cornwall would be really good. But to not have a Conference club in Cornwall would be really okay.What i mean is this: It ain't never gonna happen, never! Get yourselves another dream. This one is ******! It always was.

ANOTHER PATHETIC ANTI TRURO CITY THREAD

That explains why REAL football supporters steer clear this forum.

All the good work Dave Deakin puts in deserves better.

Take it you are not a real football supporter then ?

Thanks Snake , First of all Happy xmas to everyone. You TRURO followers out there just have to except that apart from those people that have stopped shopping with their wives and girlfriends on saturdays and 1 man and his dog that supported Truro before they had money ! cornish football supporters in general dont like you never have and never will .

Now get over it . I notice that the attendances at Truro have been dropping off recently ? Thats a bit of a shame isnt it , Because i thought you were all life long followers of your team !!

Come on to all you Truro City followers lets see what happens to your attendances when you lose a few more games you know im right they will get lower and lower.

Stop having a go at people who have no regard for your club , Its completely the individuals choice , Get on with trying to save your own club because most people think time is running out for Truro and i certainly wont be shedding any tears of pity..... BUT THATS MY CHOICE

:smiley20:

Are Truro following in the footsteps of Mounts bay Rugby Club?

Rapid rise up the leagues, one man backer, increasing support until they reached a level where they suffered a few defeats.

Crowds drifted away, club finances all over the place because they budgeted for bigger crowds, one man's money started drying up and he couldn't afford his club leaving two choices, folding or amalgamation with another club.

No more Mounts Bay, perhaps in 18 months, no more Truro City AFC, perhaps AFC Truro.

Metal stand gone, clubhouse closed, junior football and someone demanding the repayment of a £1.5 million loan.

Guest BLATCHY

I hope it's not the end of Truro City. I think it would be good for the county to have a team in the conference. No matter what people think of Mr Heaney he has tried to put cornwall on the map in a footballing way, I just feel that this county sometimes needs to live in this world and not the past move on.

It would be good for every youngster in the county that was any good to have a decent side down here instead of going up the road to plymouth.

And before anyone starts I don't follow Truro but I would like them to keep moving forward for the youngster's of this county. :drink: Merry xmas everyone :drink:

Great posting Blatchy.......Agree with your comments but unfortunately there are too many dinosaurs in Cornwall always has been and always will be not least those who are running the game here hence with the exceptions of TCFC recently and St.Blazey and of course Falmouth Town in the Seventies we are a footballing backwater and there are many out there who want to keep it that way!!!!!!

Thanks Snake , First of all Happy xmas to everyone. You TRURO followers out there just have to except that apart from those people that have stopped shopping with their wives and girlfriends on saturdays and 1 man and his dog that supported Truro before they had money ! cornish football supporters in general dont like you never have and never will .

Now get over it . I notice that the attendances at Truro have been dropping off recently ? Thats a bit of a shame isnt it , Because i thought you were all life long followers of your team !!

Come on to all you Truro City followers lets see what happens to your attendances when you lose a few more games you know im right they will get lower and lower.

Stop having a go at people who have no regard for your club , Its completely the individuals choice , Get on with trying to save your own club because most people think time is running out for Truro and i certainly wont be shedding any tears of pity..... BUT THATS MY CHOICE

if its true you have know regard for the club,then dont come on the zamaretto forum,and keep your childish remarks to your self,i take it you are about 6 or 7 yrs old.and if you think we give a flying f,,,k if you cry you little baby,we dont, :drink::drink: :clapper:

Let me put it another way. Personally I would be over the moon to see City in the conference. They have a similar catchment area as Accrington Stanley but I don't believe enough people care what happens to the club. Accy get gates of around 1,300-1,500 most of the time, and that's league football. Probably they don't get enough but they do own their own pub (the Crown) which is right next door to the ground. The Crown must make up the short-fall but I suspect it doesn't quite manage it. Truro City can't even get folks to drink in their own pitch-side club-house. They can't get the gates either because there are just not enough locals who care. Conference? Never! No way, no chance, forget it. Cuckoo Land awaits! Personally, I hope I'm proved wrong but it seems to me there are far too many fair-weather fans.

Let me put it another way. Personally I would be over the moon to see City in the conference. They have a similar catchment area as Accrington Stanley but I don't believe enough people care what happens to the club. Accy get gates of around 1,300-1,500 most of the time, and that's league football. Probably they don't get enough but they do own their own pub (the Crown) which is right next door to the ground. The Crown must make up the short-fall but I suspect it doesn't quite manage it. Truro City can't even get folks to drink in their own pitch-side club-house. They can't get the gates either because there are just not enough locals who care. Conference? Never! No way, no chance, forget it. Cuckoo Land awaits! Personally, I hope I'm proved wrong but it seems to me there are far too many fair-weather fans.

I just wished Truro City ( who as an ex player who played against) kept the traditions as it was a special place to play on and against just did simple things like keep the red and black striped shirts!! just a starting point of what i would really like to say! but not on here lol :c:

Are Truro following in the footsteps of Mounts bay Rugby Club?

Rapid rise up the leagues, one man backer, increasing support until they reached a level where they suffered a few defeats.

Crowds drifted away, club finances all over the place because they budgeted for bigger crowds, one man's money started drying up and he couldn't afford his club leaving two choices, folding or amalgamation with another club.

No more Mounts Bay, perhaps in 18 months, no more Truro City AFC, perhaps AFC Truro.

Metal stand gone, clubhouse closed, junior football and someone demanding the repayment of a £1.5 million loan.

CTB i think you will find that one of your committee/sponsor who have thier own building firm is finding it hard to pay his sub-contractors ,thats no different ,to the position Mr Heany was in back long.

if its true you have know regard for the club,then dont come on the zamaretto forum,and keep your childish remarks to your self,i take it you are about 6 or 7 yrs old.and if you think we give a flying f,,,k if you cry you little baby,we dont, :drink::drink::clapper:

Well truro's mr mourhino, First of all there is no need to be offensive , as for for being childish i suggest you sit yourself down and have a good read of your stupid remark .

I have not used any bad language or insulted anybody , with comments such as yours i must question your ability to hold discussions on football forums.

And also comments like yours you wonder why the rest of cornwall doesnt get behind your club?.

Please feel free to apologise, :SM_carton_y:

if its true you have know regard for the club,then dont come on the zamaretto forum,and keep your childish remarks to your self,i take it you are about 6 or 7 yrs old.and if you think we give a flying f,,,k if you cry you little baby,we dont, :drink::drink::clapper:

Well truro's mr mourhino, First of all there is no need to be offensive , as for for being childish i suggest you sit yourself down and have a good read of your stupid remark .

I have not used any bad language or insulted anybody , with comments such as yours i must question your ability to hold discussions on football forums.

And also comments like yours you wonder why the rest of cornwall doesnt get behind your club?.

Please feel free to apologise, :SM_carton_y:

merry xmas,but i have nothing to apologise for,and a 6 yr old wouldn't understand any way. :thumbsup:

No-one has ever tried to push their way up the system like Truro has, anyone with any sense playing football in Cornwall would want Truro to go as far as possible, I have only watched Truro a few times but having such a good local team is the best thing that can happen to Cornish football. Chris Webb is a great guy and has put alot of effort into Truro over the years. i hope he has the success his loyalty deserves!Good Luck to all at TRURO FC

At least that's more positive than others have posted.

Yes, Truro's negative is mostly going to be down to location, and havin to compete with rugby and cricket.

If you also turn the success on its head, if all goes pear shaped, which I think most of those at Truro do expect at some point in the future, when, I don't know, but we all hope it's a long way off, rather than the near future, but whichever way it goes, it's been one heck of a ride, then if it does fail, you have potentially got 400-500 fans who have come from around Cornwall to watch Truro play over their local teams, and these may then decide to go and watch them in the SWPL.

City Fan, it doesn't HAVE to go pear shaped and downhill. As I understood it, the idea (before recession spiked Mr Heaney's guns a bit) was that the club, through the planned new stadium, would be self-supporting, with the new stadium incorporating all sorts of features and facilities that would turn enough of a profit to fund the team at Conference level. Now, that is an ambitious objective, hard to see in today's financial climate but then the climate has to improve sometime. With a restaurant, conference facilities, varied sporting facilities and what have you, it could just happen. But its a funny old game!

I'd love to think that any time I'm back in Cornwall I could catch a Conference Premier game. How brilliant would that be? However it has always been tough for geographically remote clubs since TV cut attendances. Workington, Barrow: two old Div 3 (N) clubs that survived all through the Great Depression and only sank after the sixties. Maybe Truro can buck the trend on the back of the County's increasingly popular profile.

How come their is always so much negativity towards the success of Truro City?

I am a Devonian but still like to see all the teams from the South West do well Truro included.

Is a lot of the negativity aimed at Truro because the rest of the Cornish sides are jealous because of their success over the last few years and perhaps even though once Truro were possibly a mid table South Western League side have surpassed the rest of the teams in Cornwall.

If i was Cornish i would be proud of the fact that Truro are trying to make something of themselves instead of back biting about them all the time and if their journey is to come to an end well it's been one hell of a ride.

Good Luck Truro City.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Guest Rob P aka class of 93

No-one has ever tried to push their way up the system like Truro has, anyone with any sense playing football in Cornwall would want Truro to go as far as possible, I have only watched Truro a few times but having such a good local team is the best thing that can happen to Cornish football. Chris Webb is a great guy and has put alot of effort into Truro over the years. i hope he has the success his loyalty deserves!Good Luck to all at TRURO FC

:clapper::clapper::clapper: :clapper:

I wonder, if Truro slid back down the leagues, how many fans would stick beside them?

It's just something i have always thought. :glare:

i still would as to comments made here by the anti truro brigade its a case of mind over matter

we dont mind you dont matter

city have a few issues at the moment either the chairman sorts them out or we stay in this league for a season .

city onwards and upwards

:yahoo::c: :drink:

:c:

Merry Christmas to all genuine Cornish Football Fans and apologies to anyone who supports the Treyew Road team.

Snake & Snooper :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I concur with everything you said, you are obviously gentlemen in the sameframe of mind as myself.

My only request is that people remember what happened back in the 70/80's, and that when the Treyew team freefall back, that a season in Junior Football would be just the ticket.

Wishing everyone in the Peninsula league a prosperous 2010.

:c: :c:

Perhaps they're talking about the mid-1970's when Treyew Road was in such a bad state that they couldn't play SWL matches there and had to spend 3 seasons in the Combo,.

The only reason Truro played at Boscowen Park in the 70's was the Council widened Treyew Rd and moved the pitch about 40yds sideways. :ninja:

But there's reference to "Junior football"! Let's hear from Bozman 1 again as to what he exactly meant. I think he might have got his message slightly mixed up!

I believe he's making reference to demise of the great "Falmouth Town" side who slid down the league's in the 80's and on applying to the South Western League were rejected by the members and had to endure a season in junior football.

I have seen the scenario before with my old club Newport IOW. Unfortunately it all comes down to finances, Newport were where Truro City find themselves now. They also made the FA Cup 1st Round proper on two occasions and hosted an England v Finland U19 fixture at St Georges Park.

They installed Guy Whittingham as manager and had a massive weekly wage bill to players who apart from a couple of exceptions were not islanders. This meant that just to train they were paying extortionate travel expenses and ended up training on the mainland.

They went into administration a couple of seasons ago and passed Truro City going in the opposite direction the season before last.

The situation is quite similar. Newport IOW are one of the bigger clubs on the Island who went beyond the others with a new stadium, training facility and big name manager. There was jealousy amongst the other clubs but nothing like I have seen on this forum. They are now reliant on the youngsters coming through and a highly likeable and experienced local manager. They are now back down in the Wessex League playing against Cowes Sports who were for so long the poor relation. They have survived however, and are building again within their limitations.

I hope for the sake of Cornish Football Mr Heaney continues to invest and Truro City go on to be a succesful professional outfit. On the Island we were cut off but only a 45 minute ferry away from league football. Do those that are negative not want League Football in the Duchy? That is surely the ambition of Truro City and should be that of the whole Cornish Football Community?

Perhaps they're talking about the mid-1970's when Treyew Road was in such a bad state that they couldn't play SWL matches there and had to spend 3 seasons in the Combo,.

get your facts right,even mr t knows why we played down malpas park,i was playing in that side and had nothing to do with what you say,like i say if you dont know you just make it up,happy new year to the rest of the forum readers. :c: :clapper:

people are entitled to there opinions. i expect some are jealous and some or most of the rest who dont particularly like Truro or arent bothered about them are that way inclined because they play for other cornish clubs. I dont see Truro as any different to the side i play for or any other club. I play to win and if we dont i enjoy football. I dont often look for the Truro score but do notice it now and again the same as i do any other cornish side. why should people support Truro when they have there own clubs to play for? Good luck to Truro but unless they get to a good professional level i dont think that people are going to be that bothered. i actually think its a shame that they havnt got a team in junior football now. They had a v good young side in fal/hel div 1. A team like that keeps the link to cornish football and people taking an interest, grass roots. Im not bothered either way about Truro but good luck in your ambitions