Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Youth Under 18's - Latest.

The County Under 18's face another lengthy journey this weekend when they travel to AFC Hornchurch to play London Youth in the second round of the FA County Youth Cup Competition.

Manager Tommy Matthews will have the same squad available which defeated Hertfordshire in the previous round.

Namely.. :c:

Ben Williams, Richy Rundle & Sam Gerken - Truro City.

Will Cherrill, Ben Hurst & Ollie Gibson - Wadebridge Town.

Darren Edwards & David Blizzard both Penryn Athletic.

Ryan Barnes & Orin Crowle both Newquay.

Chris Luxton - Bodmin Town.

Bradley Wills - Mousehole.

Tom Payne - Torpoint Athletic.

Lewis Impleton - Camelford.

Ollie Brokenshire (captain)- St.Austell.

Mamsy Sabo - Penzance.

The winners will be away to Wiltshire in round 3.

Hi Dave,

In View of the weather we have had and forecast to come, I guess the game will be very much in doubt?

Also with everyone leaving tomorrow will they make an announcement some time before you all leave?

Unfortunately can not make game and being very selfish wouldn't mind if it is rained off!

Then gives me chance to see re arranged game!

Very impressed with teams performance for 70 mins at Herts, with all three Wadebridge players outstanding on the day along with Blizzard (Penryn).

The scary last 20 minutes happened after the boy from Wadebridge, Cherrill came off. Without him there Herts came right back into it. He did (Cherrill) a superb job in middle of park, won tackles, intercepted balls and just played it simple, and on the day made life for Brokenshire his partner in midfield that much easier.

The stand out player for me though was the keeper, Hirst, for his age he was very confident and comfortable with whatever he had to do. Particularly the way he came and dealt with any type of cross impressed me, and showed a real bravery in those last 20 minutes. A fine prospect for me.

Falmouth's loss is Wadebridge's gain when it comes to Ollie Gibson. First time had a real good look at him and very exciting, direct, pacey and delivers the ball into the box at first opportunity when just a yard on his full back.

He reminded me of a very young Ian Gosling!

"Gossy" was one of, if not the best winger I've seen since my time down here and will never ever forget the performance he gave in County Championship Final at Sussex, (95) when still to this day it is by far the best performance I have seen from a winger.

Ollie still has a long, long way to go before he can eclipse the great "Gossy" but he made a big impression on me and hope he continues to realize just what a talent he has.

Good Luck Tommy, liked the respect the boys showed not only to yourself, but also in their performance when the Pride and Honour of Representing the County was there for all to see.

Look forward to seeing you in the next round in Wiltshire, and best wishes to everyone going up with the team, guess its a full squad there to!!

Kind regards

Steve Massey

Guest Peppermint

Fantastic result for Tommy and and his squad - from a personal point of view it was great to see two Newquay lads in the squad and even better that Orrin scored a vital goal. Good luck to them in the next round and it is a shame that they are away again in the next round - but hopefully they can overcome Wiltshire.

No doubt Tommy will do a match report, all i will say the result was no more than we deserved. The lads bossed the game from start to finish. It looked like being one of those games where no matter how hard we tried we just could'nt score, the cross bar was hit twice, twice we had goals ruled out for off side- very dubious decisions on both accounts and we squandered two or three chances to have won the match without the need for e/t. And i my opinion their keeper was their best player.

In extra time, London were out on their feet and once we got the lead it was just a question securing that lead and as it turned out two further goals gave a much truer reflection of the gap between the two sides.

Special thanks to the AFC Hornchurch club for allowing the game to go ahead in at times squally conditions and despite heavy rainfall over night and at times throughout the match the pitch played remarkably well.

Its 'on the road again' in December this time to visit our old foes Wiltshire who will still be smarting after the pasting we gave them back in March in the South West Counties, let battle commence.

Every one should be very proud of the performances the lads have put in to firstly beat Hertfordshire and now London in this competition, but we need to keep our feet firmly on the ground, Wiltshire will be a very tough nut to crack. :c: :clapper:

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support.

Dave's pretty much said it all as far as the match report goes. The weather was awful for most of the afternoon but huge credit to AFC Hornchurch and their groundsman for getting the pitch in really good shape.

Despite the weather we kept the game short and outpassed them for the whole time. Their first chance was on 35 mins and they got a bit lucky with the bounce and they scored. Their keeper made an astonishing triple save to keep us at bay, and we were down 1-0 at half-time.

We were determined to continue passing the ball in the second half and we hit the bar twice, had two disallowed, one cleared off the line, the keeper made more great saves and we just thought this could be one of those days.

But we stuck to our plan and the boys were magnificent and eventually battered them into submission. Orrin got the all-important goal two minutes into stoppage time and extra-time began.

Once again we took the initiative and Tom Payne's clever finish rightly put us in front. Bradley Wills was upended for a penalty which he took and scored after the keeper once again made a fine save, and Wills again wrapped it up after being put through, another great finish one-on-one with the keeper.

A great game which we should have finished in normal time but massive credit the all the team who played some of the best football I've seen all season.

Every one of them is proud to pull on their Cornwall shirt and that shows in their whole attitude.

You can all be proud of them today, I know I am.

Hi Tom/Dave, Can you let usknow how the rest of the lads faired, it's really nice for the clubs they play for to know as we cant travel to watch. Got the scorers, what about midfield, defence ect?? Cheers,

not so long ago we had a thread on here that was very negative towards cornish football.

it makes me feel so proud that yet again little old cornwall has gone away to some backwater and come away with a win. most importantly this time nobody can argue about money being involved.

well done to all concerned,if we are not careful argyle may be after tommy :clapper::c: :thumbsup:

Guest retiredscorer

well done tom and the boys, what a great result, London is a big place - just goes to show we have quality down here, all the best in the next round, I heard your lads really dug in and pulled a win?

Hi Curler

I really can't single anyone out for individual praise because it was a great team effort. More to the point, the players feel such a team bond that the team performance is much more important than any individual.

We restricted them to only a couple of chances throughout the game and were full of craft and invention in midfield. Up top we buzzed around all afternoon with players dropping off into pockets and pulling them all over the place.

We know that these are early days and Wiltshire will be very tough when we meet in December. We just need to keep a good approach to the way we prepare and trust in the spirit and ability of the squad.

If you could have bottled the cry from the players going into extra-time, you would have something priceless on your hands.

Well done Tom and the lads! Best man for the job,i bet the boys are champing at the bit to get out there after one of his team talks ! I remeber you always got our dressing room fired up mate!!! Could'nt be a more perfect bloke to bring the best of Cornwall's young talent through.Good luck in December Tom,sounds like you,ve moulded together another great group. :clapper::c: :D