Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Identity

Guest noel

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, based on loking at a map of England and seeing the county of Cornwall on the end of it :rolleyes:

Ha ha, this is the basis of your acceptance of the status quo?

I'm thinking you never took the time to read everything that's been said in this topic? :D .. That comment was made to point out that I base my opinion of WHERE Cornwall is, by looking at a map of England. It has other countries joined to it called Scotland and Wales, but no mention of Cornwall, no matter what modern day map or atlas I looked at?. :unsure: .. How curious, I'll get on the phone to Derek Acorah to see if he can dredge up some help from the past :rolleyes: ..

Most of the other posts I made are the ones that describe or explain WHY I think (know) that Cornwall is in England..

I do not accept status quo (I watched them at the NEC in the early 80s and cried all the way through, TRUE :D ) .. Seriously, I don't. I just accept life as it IS. And as far as I can tell, as things stand at the moment, Cornwall IS in England..

Graham, are you psychic?. I believe you have absolutely NO IDEA as to why there have been so many views of this topic.

Simplicity itself Coopsie. I have merely noted that the views of this thread goes up by around 50+ per day. No psychic powers required.

No sir, you also suggested why...

"Then why has it had so many views Coopsie.

Seems to me, people are very interested. Don't want to contribute....but very much want to hear the "set in stone" alternative to your 'opinion'. "...

I guess I should thank you though, for assuming they keep coming to this topic just to see Coopsie (that's me :D ) proven wrong.

Thankyou :thumbsup: :c:

Its had so many views because after every post i come and have a nose, best laugh i've had in ages :clapper: I just hope when the English Goverment give Cornwall 26 mil to build new houses the Cornish Goverment tell them (The English) where to stick it :P I'm sure another County in England would be glad of the money :thumbsup:

Coopsie, your a star :smiley20::clapper:

Oh and Graham all i've learnt is that some people are stuborn and don't allow others to have their opinion, after all thats what it is, an opinion. :smiley20:

Its had so many views because after every post i come and have a nose, best laugh i've had in ages :clapper: I just hope when the English Goverment give Cornwall 26 mil to build new houses the Cornish Goverment tell them (The English) where to stick it :P I'm sure another County in England would be glad of the money :thumbsup:

Oh and Graham all i've learnt is that some people are stuborn and don't allow others to have their opinion, after all thats what it is, an opinion. :smiley20:

And that ladies and gentlemen, is the voice of a nation :clapper: ... Anita "oh great donner of the black uniform", I hereby pronounce you "Queen Anita of Kerngland" :yahoo: :c:

Guest KernowGB

[...]

It has other countries joined to it called Scotland and Wales, but no mention of Cornwall, no matter what modern day map or atlas I looked at?.

[...]

Most of the other posts I made are the ones that describe or explain WHY I think (know) that Cornwall is in England..

[...]

But, still based on opinion and speculation, with no interest in questioning anything that contradicts it?

Surely, the pursuit of knowledge and truth, and transparency, should be an essential part of a democratic society?

A Cornish solicitor and former circuit court judge (sadly no longer with us), who was researching for a book on Cornish Law, made the observation:

"Nobody knows when Cornish history began. However, Cornish sovereignty was never merged (like that of Scotland) or extinguished (like that of Wales). References to the Cornovii go some two thousand years… …Many scholars believe that people in Cornwall were extracting tin and copper well over three thousand years."

To clarify the first point, Cornwall should be considered, constitutionally, as a Protectorate, or Crown Dependency. The research continues.

Of the four historic national groups that make up this Island of Britain:

-Why is Cornwall, and the Cornish people, the one that has been totally suppressed and denied its inalienable Rights?

-Would it not be in the interest of everone to demand that this is properly, and transparently, resolved?

-I had previously shown that in 1351, the Duchy was distinct from England. History records this distinction consistently. It was re-affirmed as such 150 years ago by the Law Officers of the Duchy - why was this met with silence?

-Why was Cornwall the first Royal Duchy to be established by the Crown in 1337, and how was it justified?

-Why does the Government, and Duchy, now lie about the true status of the Duchy of Cornwall by referring to it as a 'private estate' and, allegedly, nothing to do with Cornwall?

-Should we be denied the truth and the rightful recognition that would go with it? If yes, why? If no, what should be done?

Good. Coopsie makes me laugh as well. :D As for your own words Anita:

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance " . Albert Einstien.

Good. Coopsie makes me laugh as well. :D As for your own words Anita:

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance " . Albert Einstien.

"IGNORANCE IS BLISS" . Thomas Gray 1742 (was Cornwall a country then?) :thumbsup:

Guest KernowGB

Coopsie (& pals)

It has always been, and always will be a country. However, to the parasitic Imperial mentality, truth is replaced by subjective opinion, and supported by a very sophisticated process of genocide.

Lemkin's definition of genocide
-
:

"Generally speaking, genocide does not necessarily mean the immediate destruction of a nation, except when accomplished by mass killings of all members of a nation. It is intended rather to signify a coordinated plan of different actions aiming at the destruction of essential foundations of the life of national groups, with the aim of annihilating the groups themselves. The objectives of such a plan would be disintegration of the political and social institutions, of culture, language, national feelings, religion, and the economic existence of national groups, and the destruction of the personal security, liberty, health, dignity, and even the lives of the individuals belonging to such groups. Genocide is directed against the national group as an entity, and the actions involved are directed against individuals, not in their individual capacity, but as members of the national group."

"Genocide has two phases: one, destruction of the national pattern of the oppressed group; the other, the imposition of the national pattern of the oppressor. This imposition, in turn, may be made upon the oppressed population which is allowed to remain or upon the territory alone, after removal of the population and the colonization by the oppressor's own nationals."

Guest Rob P aka class of 93

what a load of pony,Cornwall is one of many counties in ENGLAND, im born and bred and a very proud cornishman and fly the kernow flag here in oz but get real !!!!

Anita - did you not read my earlier post - #68? You have been given irrefutable evidence that the Cornish pay more into the Exchequer than they receive back by some £300 000 000 (that's three-hundred million pounds). You choose to completely ignore this and post the above nonsense about a mere trifling £26 000 000? Are we meant to be grateful??? Now of course people are free to have their own opinions about the Cornish national issue but what people like you and Coopsie do is completely ignore undeniable facts that are presented to you in a measured way. This should really make you question what you are told by Westminster, the State (English) Education authorities and the national (English) press. Instead you blindly believe (or more importantly don't dare to disbelieve) what you have been told since you were children, like a prole from 1984.

Guest KernowGB

@ B Manning - Post 112

It seems to me that you deliberately fail to comprehend the significance of the sayings that you have quoted. Please let me explain? :blink:

1. You cannot change history: - Essentially this is absolutely correct, but you, incorrectly, imply that I am seeking to change history. This could not be further from the truth. What I, and others, seek to do is to systematically decolonise history and reveal this history from a Cornish perspective and within its correct context. This should present a true reflection of history by removing the lies, deception, and prejudice that currently passes for history. Only the Imperial mindset would object to that!

2. Living in the past has no future: - this is one of those tired clichés, which is not only chronologically impossible, but does not bear scrutiny. What is fundamentally important about the past is that it tells us where we have come from. If you are suggesting that that is not important, then you are leaving yourselves open to the abuses of the past, and, without the inherent protection that knowledge and experience brings to the world. The past is also a guide within the present to direct you to a better future. If you are content to wander around aimlessly, then it is amazing that mankind evolved at all. Not only amoeba comes to mind, but seriously subjective amoeba!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Coopsie - Post 113

Cornwall is not in England

OMG! He has finally got the message. Hallelujah!

:c::c::c::c::c:

I just typed out a huge post but couldnt be arsed to post it, so I will ask a smaller question instead...

Is it worth it?

Are we that badly off that an independent Cornish state would do substantially better?, or are we that badly oppressed that a Cornish state is really necessary?

Anita - did you not read my earlier post - #68? You have been given irrefutable evidence that the Cornish pay more into the Exchequer than they receive back by some £300 000 000 (that's three-hundred million pounds). You choose to completely ignore this and post the above nonsense about a mere trifling £26 000 000? Are we meant to be grateful??? Now of course people are free to have their own opinions about the Cornish national issue but what people like you and Coopsie do is completely ignore undeniable facts that are presented to you in a measured way. This should really make you question what you are told by Westminster, the State (English) Education authorities and the national (English) press. Instead you blindly believe (or more importantly don't dare to disbelieve) what you have been told since you were children, like a prole from 1984.

one last question because i'm bored of this dribble now, but why is it Cornwall COUNTY Football Association, and Cornwall COUNTY Council if Cornwalls still a Country??? :wacko:

Guest KernowGB

I just typed out a huge post but couldnt be arsed to post it, so I will ask a smaller question instead...

Is it worth it?

Are we that badly off that an independent Cornish state would do substantially better?, or are we that badly oppressed that a Cornish state is really necessary?

Lee, no one that I know is asking for an independent Cornish State. The argument is about having the truth told by the Westminster Government, so that decisions that affect Cornwall are not done from a dismissive point of view as an area that is subsumed within an English South West Region. Along with this truth should also be the recognition of the Cornish people as a national minority that would/should come under the protection of the Council of Europe's Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities. This would serve to put an end to oppression - that we are covertly controlled by - in just about every sphere of our life with regard to a unique identity and the ability to consolidate that identity. Would we be better off? Well, where would I start? Restoration of integrity, all round and the end of these interminable discussions. :yahoo::thumbsup:

[...]

one last question because i'm bored of this dribble now, but why is it Cornwall COUNTY Football Association, and Cornwall COUNTY Council if Cornwalls still a Country???

The short answer is it should not be, because Cornwall is NOT a county! We have an administration that prior to the Unitary Authority was classified, and misrepresented, for public consumption, as a 'county' council (now Cornwall Council), but Cornwall is constitutionally a Royal Duchy and not part of England. In fact, it could be argued that neither is Cornwall a part of the United Kingdom. However, one step at a time! If you become 'unbored', I can recommend www.duchyofcornwall.eu for some light reading.

A Royal Commission on the Constitution (Kilbrandon 1973) observed that: "the people of Cornwall regard their part of the United Kingdom as not just another English county" and accordingly they recommended that the designation "Duchy of Cornwall" be used on all appropriate occasions to emphasise the "special relationship and the territorial integrity of Cornwall"

but why is it Cornwall COUNTY Football Association ......... if Cornwalls still a Country???

That'a a fair question Anita.

All county FA's were created in 1888 with the exception of Cornwall which was 1889.

Interestingly, Rugby Union already had it's associations. The England , Wales, Scotland and Cornwall RFU's.... exactlly the same as they are called today.

one last question because i'm bored of this dribble now, but why is it Cornwall COUNTY Football Association, and Cornwall COUNTY Council if Cornwalls still a Country??? :wacko:

:clapper: Bored now. Why? Maybe one by one the myths that have been perpetuated are being blown apart, in this instance the common held belief that we (The Cornish) are heavily subsidised by the Westminster government when the opposite is in fact the truth. Of course it's your prerogative to ignore this saliant point and move on to County FA's.

Is it worth it?

Now that is a sensible question, is it worth it? Yes. My point of view is that all I want is recognition (in legislation) that Cornwall is a unique region of the United Kingdom with a distinctly different culture and a clearly defined border. I don't want independence and I don't want a Cornish Assembly but I do believe in self-determination so if ever that was the will of the Cornish people so be it. I would class myself as a nationalist but not a separatist. As an aside, in the wider European context and what is happening in Brussels and Strasbourg the notion of the United Kingdom is starting to look a little dated.

Are we oppressed and do I feel oppressed? No, not in the way the Kurds are oppressed or the Chechens. However it is a mechanism of the state and in its best interest to keep Cornwall poor (in relevant terms). This way the people become dependant on a state that basically withholds £300 000 000 of our taxes, dependency stifles independent thought. It is no accident that the UK government kept the Irish as poor as they could throughout the 19th century. A policy that almost destroyed Ireland and one that it has only just recovered from (the Celtic Tiger).

Erm, based on loking at a map of England and seeing the county of Cornwall on the end of it :rolleyes:

Ha ha, this is the basis of your acceptance of the status quo?

I'm thinking you never took the time to read everything that's been said in this topic? :D .. That comment was made to point out that I base my opinion of WHERE Cornwall is, by looking at a map of England. It has other countries joined to it called Scotland and Wales, but no mention of Cornwall, no matter what modern day map or atlas I looked at?. :unsure: .. How curious, I'll get on the phone to Derek Acorah to see if he can dredge up some help from the past :rolleyes: ..

I do not accept status quo (I watched them at the NEC in the early 80s and cried all the way through, TRUE :D ) .. Seriously, I don't. I just accept life as it IS. And as far as I can tell, as things stand at the moment, Cornwall IS in England..

:clapper: Accepting life as it is is the very definition of accepting the status quo :D

It's not unsurprising that you ignored my list of nationalities whose 'country' you will not find on a map. Are they deluding themselves?

In football terms Coopsie would you go to the Camp Nou and tell a Boixos Nois that they are Spanish and not Catalans?

Is it worth it?

Now that is a sensible question, is it worth it? Yes. My point of view is that all I want is recognition (in legislation) that Cornwall is a unique region of the United Kingdom with a distinctly different culture and a clearly defined border. I don't want independence and I don't want a Cornish Assembly but I do believe in self-determination so if ever that was the will of the Cornish people so be it. I would class myself as a nationalist but not a separatist. As an aside, in the wider European context and what is happening in Brussels and Strasbourg the notion of the United Kingdom is starting to look a little dated.

Are we oppressed and do I feel oppressed? No, not in the way the Kurds are oppressed or the Chechens. However it is a mechanism of the state and in its best interest to keep Cornwall poor (in relevant terms). This way the people become dependant on a state that basically withholds £300 000 000 of our taxes, dependency stifles independent thought. It is no accident that the UK government kept the Irish as poor as they could throughout the 19th century. A policy that almost destroyed Ireland and one that it has only just recovered from (the Celtic Tiger).

Well thank you for that reply in that case I have no problems with your cause. You see from my personal point of view I was quite cynical of your aims because experience has taught me to be so.

In every walk of life we see people wanting change be it political or religious and nigh on every time the old saying of same shit different smell happens. For instance I know that when we finally get rid of labour my life most likely wont significantly improve under the tories, likewise the changes that the councils went through recently hasnt improved my lifestyle one iota. My cynical viewpoint is that change is sought just for the fact that its change and gives different people their platform to do the same old rubbish as the previous lot. However if your motives are as outlined in your reply then I guess I wouldnt really have any issues with you or your aims.

Guest KernowGB

No problem! I did understand what you meant. :)

What you fail to understand is that should such a competition ever occur, at least it would have been a HONEST defeat. B):smiley20: Quite the opposite to the socio-political situation that we find ourselves in today. Right? :SM_carton::drink:

oh dear kernow gb-" cornwall is not a county its a country"

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Be-ave son!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cant beleive you lot are stll arguing bout this!!!

cornwall is a COUNTY like it or not!!!!!!!!

get over it and move on please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im tired of readin ur so called excuses for cornwall being what it isnt and that is a country-

STOP TALKING A LOAD OF OLD TOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cornwall=COUNTY

Guest KernowGB

Smithy, how refreshing to see such prescriptive comments of enlightenment, delivered so arrogantly. You are a credit to your clique. You really are! :clapper:

Just so that we may be all clear on what it is that you are 'selling', could you please explain, for the benefit of other unenlightened people, what it is that I have said that is not the truth? Then, I can give you the substantive response that may clarify things for others - just to prove that you are not simply a bag of hot air! B)

BTW, I do not see anywhere an instruction that anyone has to read, or respond, to any of the posts. So, if you are really tired, why not take a well-earned rest? :SM_carton_y:

This is most certainly not the appropriate stage for this debate and is time it was removed for fear of becoming a total bore.

Kernow GB gives no clue as to his football connection and comes across as a suitable candidate for local politics.

In light of this I suggest that his comments are aired in a more suitable forum.

Out of all the postings there only seems to be 2 o3 3 that thinks Cornwall is different than the rest of England. As soon as someone makes a posting they come back wioth yards of tripe. It has now become a rather silly subject.

This is most certainly not the appropriate stage for this debate and is time it was removed for fear of becoming a total bore.

Kernow GB gives no clue as to his football connection and comes across as a suitable candidate for local politics.

In light of this I suggest that his comments are aired in a more suitable forum.

Out of all the postings there only seems to be 2 o3 3 that thinks Cornwall is different than the rest of England. As soon as someone makes a posting they come back wioth yards of tripe. It has now become a rather silly subject.

You're both banging your heads against brick walls..

Even when nobody has said anything, they STILL come on and splurge their uninteresting bore fest, mistakingly thinking people actually give a crap, or agree with what they say..

Just leave them to argue and massage eachother's somewhat inferior Cornish ego's. Afterall, if neither of you has an inferiority complex, what the heck are you arguing about?...

Cue responses of "we're arguing about your attitude and unwillingness to accept truth" etc etc... We've heard it ALL, it seems that NOBODY cares (except you two of course).. So move on to a new topic, OR, as chairman said, a new stage....

To the Moderator,

Have just seen this thread may be removed. If that is so, can I make a plea for it's continued inclusion, on behalf of my study. I realise this is a football forum, but I have received many respondents from here and hope for a few more.

If however, you decide it must be removed, I ask one more time; to all those Cornish men and women out there, please log onto the website given below, to give your opinion on Cornish identity, whatever that opinion may be.

Thank you again to all who have taken the survey. I am still looking for more female respondents though!

Noel Thompson

Oops, forgot to add the website, sorry!

cornishidentitysurvey.blogspot.com

Only takes ten mins in all, but you must do all 3 parts (couple of mins each)

Cheers,

Noel

Mr Chairman - With respect, I have already stated why it should be discussed here. Also, it's the same as a TV channel. If you don't like it, turn it off. No one is being forced to read this thread.

If it is uninteresting, why has it accrued an astonishing 2,500 views. They can't be all reading it for a laugh.

Cornish identity has made huge steps in the last five years. It's time people knew the truth, and that in turn will have a massive effect on Cornish sport which includes Cornish Soccer.

I say that being a soccer man myself as you well know, and that it came as a huge shock to discover my true identity around seven years ago

Guest KernowGB

I find it difficult to understand why a Cornish Soccer Forum should be devoid of a discussion on Cornish issues. Especially on such a topic as "Cornish Identity". I, personally, feel that such sites, as this, will provide Noel with a better picture of how people feel on the subject. I only hope that such an exercise will be repeated on a regular basis, in order to measure the progress towards truth and enlightenment, or the evil success of Cornish genocide.

Participating in Sport & Culture is the grass roots involvement with identity and a 'sense of place'. Some of the responses on here, that I have been responding to, do not in anyway represent identity. What they do represent, and clearly show, is the attempted repression of a Cornish Identity, and the antithesis of identity. What is it that these people fear from the truth?

I sincerely hope that Noel's objectivity will find some way of drawing a similar inference within his final Report. Anyone of average intelligence will, I feel sure, comprehend that that is what I have been pointing out throughout my posts on this topic. The fact that no-one has attempted to give a proper discussion on what I have said in my posts above - and there is much, much more that could be said! - must testify to the accuracy of my conclusions.

I only regret that, obviously, many have chosen not to make the effort to support their own Cornish Identity on this thread. I am well aware that this comment will bring forth some 'clever'(sic), but typically infantile, comments, so possibly that is what passes for 'not a Cornish Identity'?

Coming from the Isle of Wight I too have a strong sense of identity. As an Islander I am very proud of where I am from, there are many that argue that we too should be self-governed after all we are geographically larger than the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands etc.

Islanders (caulkheads) are happy to accept however that we are considered a part of England, I feel that this is because it gives us a sense of security belonging to the mainland. Although many Cornish consider Cornwall to be an Island it is in essence part of the mainland and therefore the identity is obscured.

I wonder if there was a stretch of water that gave stronger independent identity whether the Cornish argument would be as strong. Scillonians seem to be happy to accept their address as Isles Of Scilly, England.

I am proud to be English, very proud. It makes me chuckle to here cornishmen talking of English oppression and genocide against cornish culture......get a grip! there are areas in the world where this actually occurs and believe me you would certainly notice it if it happened in the UK!

I was against this debate being on the forum. Constitutionally as far as I was aware Cornwall was a Duchy, one down from a principality which is one down from a Country? England and Spain are Countries, Wales and Andorra are Principalities? Cornwall and York are Duchies both of which have strong feelings of identity and quite rightly so but both are part of England.

Guest KernowGB

Scooby, I have no argument against the IofW seeking whatever it feels it can legitimately make the case for, or the fact that it has a strong sense of identity. You may care to note that example of open-mindedness.

If you are willing to ‘accept it’, do you have reason to believe the Island is not a part of England, or that the historic relationship is falsely misrepresented? Why ever would you feel less secure under alternative arrangements? For Cornwall, you seem to imagine a parallel scenario, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether Cornwall is an island or not. It is about a unique territorial and constitutional identity that is consistently and officially lied about.

The first half of your post had a hint of ‘sensible’ about it, but you have now nailed your colours to the mast. May I ask if you have read the rest of this thread? Perhaps when you have shown that you understand what oppression and genocide is about, and the forms that they might take, we might continue this point? Until then, it would be a pointless exercise. But... please consider this: Why do we continue to be vociferous about our Cornish Rights being abused, and why does Celtic Nationalism exist?

Why would you be against such a debate? As with the previous para, sadly, you need to understand what you are talking about. Perhaps you can also explain:

why the Prince of Wales gets his income from the Duchy of Cornwall and not, as one should expect, the Principality of Wales?

Why is he not the Prince of Wales until he is invested as such by the Monarch, whereas the Duke of Cornwall, as heir to the throne is the Duke from the moment he is born?

Your analogy is completely up the creek. Principality and Royal Duchy are no different to Kingdom in describing the constitutional honour of a territory – check it out!. From the FreeDictionary on-line, a country is defined as:

a. A nation or state.

b. The territory of a nation or state; land.

c. The people of a nation or state; populace:

Coming from the Isle of Wight I too have a strong sense of identity. As an Islander I am very proud of where I am from, there are many that argue that we too should be self-governed after all we are geographically larger than the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands etc.

Islanders (caulkheads) are happy to accept however that we are considered a part of England, I feel that this is because it gives us a sense of security belonging to the mainland. Although many Cornish consider Cornwall to be an Island it is in essence part of the mainland and therefore the identity is obscured.

I wonder if there was a stretch of water that gave stronger independent identity whether the Cornish argument would be as strong. Scillonians seem to be happy to accept their address as Isles Of Scilly, England.

I am proud to be English, very proud. It makes me chuckle to here cornishmen talking of English oppression and genocide against cornish culture......get a grip! there are areas in the world where this actually occurs and believe me you would certainly notice it if it happened in the UK!

I was against this debate being on the forum. Constitutionally as far as I was aware Cornwall was a Duchy, one down from a principality which is one down from a Country? England and Spain are Countries, Wales and Andorra are Principalities? Cornwall and York are Duchies both of which have strong feelings of identity and quite rightly so but both are part of England.

Scooby - a pleasure to debate with a fellow Pompey fan, all of my maternal side of the family are from Pompey. To my eternal shame I bowed to pressure from my wife this year and gave up my Fratton Park season ticket. It was a great seat, about six rows behind Mr Westwood and his band.

Many of your questions have been answered in some of my previous postings. I'm not sure how Cornish identity is 'obscured' because it is part of the mainland. The Basque region of France/Spain, Chechenya, Catalonia, Kurdistan, Bretagne etc etc are all 'attached' to the 'mainland' yet they all have a strong sense of an independent national identity. Whereas I may differ from some of my fellow nationalists on certain points I have to admit that there has been cultural genocide waged against the Cornish (as I stated in an earlier post I wouldn't dream of comparing it to the situation in Chechenya or Kurdistan). Cornish schools do not teach Cornish history or the history of the Brythonic Celts, this is a fact and one that is the polar opposite to the other Celtic regions of the British Isles. The Cornish language was eradicated because it was effectively banned, discouraged in church, school and through the legal system. If you HAVE to speak English to communicate then the language will die. The most pertinent question is always why. Why is Cornish history not taught in schools? It pre-dates 'English' or Anglo-Saxon history, the tales of the Kings of Dumnonia are no less interesting than that of the Plantagenet's.

Of course there will be posters on here (who play association football yet do not know what AFC stands for) who will dismiss such arguments and facts as 'tripe'. I am not out to change minds but to open them.

Would you not agree that in order for Cornish history to be taught in schools it would need to form some part of the curriculum geared towards recognised exams? Then you would need Cornish examination boards as other parts of the UK arent going to cover it in their studies.

Im curious as to whether or not say the Welsh have something in place so that their history forms part of their learning and is covered in examinations. Or perhaps they have "Welsh studies" type lessons? Im ignorant of these things.

Guest KernowGB

Lee, the simple answer to your question is that there is a National Curriculum for Wales. I do not have any specific knowledge of the mechanics of that, but there is a dirth of information on-line about it. What you are considering here, however, is the detail, whereas within our Cornish Duchy we have yet to establish the inalienable principle - and at an official Government level.

Much is being done at a personal level in the piecemeal promotion of the development and introduction of a Cornish curriculum, but this is not yet something that is embraced at an official level and any introduction into schools is at the whim of individual teachers, and fragmented. It also seems to be limited to Primary education.

Personally, because of the current political arrangement of the UK, I see no problem in the introduction of Cornish material within a UK-wide Curriculum, tailored to suit a local need. With, of course, Cornwall defined as its own 'Home Region' and not, as now, the South West of England! :SM_carton: The Cornish input to the making of modern Britain is noteworthy. :clapper:

I totally support the right of freedom of speech.What I object to is the absolute diatribe being forced into this Non-Cornish Football Forum, please take it elsewhere.

There is an awful lot of more useful subjects not being given time at schools, so Cornish language is not alone in being ignored there.

Guest KernowGB

Chairman, it goes without saying that you are entitled to hold such an opinion. I am truly sorry that you do, but simply expressing it does not in any way substantiate what it is that you consider to be "absolute diatribe" nor show that it truly is, what you obviously feel it to be, so that others may judge. Surely, the least that should be done is to be specific and allow the intended recipient the courtesy of responding to some form of substantive criticism, with an explanation of why you hold such an opinion on it.

If I may please take the liberty of questioning another point: Where have I, or anyone else, given the impression that this is about the Cornish language? The Cornish language and a knowledge of Cornwall in Cornwall! Whatever next? Why do some people see this as a threat? When it comes to the school curriculum, there is a wealth of information on Cornwall that would just replace existing irrelevant information and equally facilitate the children attaining the various Key Stages. It would not be additional material, but simply more relevant. It works OK in Wales and Scotland has its own system. Whilst language has not been mentioned before, it certainly has a fundamental bearing on gaining a Sense of Place.