Cornwall Football Forum

Cornish Identity

Guest noel

My name is Noel Thompson and I am at Kingston University and currently conducting a study into Cornish identity. The study is trying to discover the strength and depth of Cornish national identity, through an online questionnaire. It is in three parts and takes about 8 minutes altogether. It requires no personal information. I need as wide a range of people from Cornwall as possible (including footy fans!), so please log on if you have the time. The 3 parts can be done separately, if you use the same computer.

If you have any questions on the study, feel free to contact me at noel-thompson@hotmail.co.uk or if you have any concerns about the study, please contact Dr Annie Hughes at the Kingston University geography department.

The questionnaire can be found at cornishidentitysurvey.blogspot.com.

Thank you,

Noel Thompson

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are Cornish; we are not English - fact. One cannot be Cornish and English by definition.

The land of Cornwall is separated from England for the most part by the River Tamar.

Some on here don't agree with that, but actually there is no evidence from the time of the Cornish kings (a little over a thousand years ago) to now to suggest that Cornwall has become part of England.

Thanks for taking an interest in us strange people tucked away in the far south west of the British Isles!

:c:

We have had wonderful discussions over the past about this subject and I'm afraid Cornwall is part of England whether you like it or not. If not then I must have dual nationality.

Dual nationality doesn't come in to it.

The last official Census form I completed gave me the choice of Nationality.

Quite rightly and correctly I chose Cornish...!

This debate has raged before - and probably will do again - but nothing will change me [and many others] - born a Cornishman and will die a Cornishman - British but not English..!

It would be a waste of money were the council undertake to start replacing all the signs immediately with the dual language.

However if I heard correctly - Councillor Graeme Hicks stated that theis would only happen when existing signs had to be replaced - through damage, or ageing process and that the sign manufacturer would add the Cornish wording at no extra cost.

It seem that comon sense has been applied - should that be the Modus Operandi.

Guest BLATCHY

ENGLAND TILL I DIE. I'M ENGLAND TILL I DIE I KNOW I AM I'M ENGLAND TILL I DIE!! MY GRANDADS WORDS WHO WENT TO WAR FOR THIS COUNTRY. P.O.W FOR 6 YEARS SO STOP TALKING S..T OUT CORNISH AND ENGLAND WE ALL FIGHT IN THE SAME WARS TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clapper:

In Cornish schools you can learn a whole range of languages these days, but ver rarely do you hear of them learning Cornish. So as the generations move on the language will slowly die out, with only a few able to speak it. With this in mind what is the purpose of putting Cornish on the roads signs... other than a gimmic for tourists?

I may be wrong of course, perhaps more peoplel will start to learn Cornish, especially those who are NOT considering themselves part of England.

I suggest that the person writing the report includes a copy of this thread in their additional notes, and uses it as supporting evidence for the report. This is the most interesting part.

Im a proud Cornishman, proud of where i live and proud and facinated by Cornish history, even have a Cornish flag in the window of my car. But lets be honest, we are a County, a part of England and Britain and not an independent nation.

Im not buying into this Cornish independence nonsense that has sprung up in the last 20 or so years, could we actually survive as an independent nation? No chance, the tin and fishing industrys have long disappeared and the ground in Cornwall is too rocky for proper crops to grow that would feed us all!

Also, agreed the Tamar seperates Cornwall from the rest of England but i think that hardly qualifies it as a national border!!!

As i said i am proud to be a Cornishman, but no more proud as i am to be an Englishman.

Who said we wanted independence? That's totally different from simply wanting to be recognised as our rightful status - a nation.

As for the rise of nationalism in the last 20 years or so, the CNP (Cornish Nationalist Party) was actually much stronger before Mebyon Kernow (Sons of Cornwall) split away from them in, at a guess, the 70s. Today the CNP is still in existence, but is a relatively unknown and obscure party.

I think what you're talking about is the need for a stronger local identity that people here feel increasingly. Our decisions get made increasingly outside of the Duchy and even in Europe.

KERNOW BYS VYKKEN :c:

Seems like DanBlazey is standing his ground well..........

No one has offered any factual evidence to say that Cornwall is a part of England for one good reason. There is'nt any :) We are a Duchy. Fact. We have a stronger constitutional status than Wales. Fact.

Football people especially don't like to hear this. It spoils their enjoyment, so I say, don't let it.

Next year, I shall be at my local sportsclub shouting for England along with the rest of them and enjoying the moment. Why should'nt I ? For fifty bleddy years I was brought up as an Englishman ! [ An English school cirriculum produces English people, or to put it another way; You are what you are told ] and now that I know different, what am I supposed to do ? Change Teams ???

Here's the REAL difference though : IF England win the World Cup in SA 2010, across the land of the St George's cross, they will party and party for days and days. Whilst here in Cornwall, we'll have a few beers over the wekend and that will be that.....just like 1966.

If you are Cornish though, you are no more English than a Russian or a Senegalese. Get used to it, get over it, ( not easy, in fact a huge shock to me some years ago ) and have a great World Cup. :c:

Look on a map and it will clearly show that Cornwall is part of England - fact! This conversation is being written in English, and hardly anybody in the County, let alone this forum, can speak Cornish fluently - fact! When i fill up with petrol before work tomorrow, i will be buying it with English pound sterling - fact!

Im all for extra local identity but we are a County, like any other and not a nation.

Being Cornish is something to be proud of, we have a rich heritage, an world-influenceing history but we are a part of England, and if anybody cares to give any real evidence to the contary, feel free?

Im a Cornishman and aware and proud of my local heritage and identity but im also a Englishman and not because my school told be to be but because i have my own brain and worked it out for myself!

If other Cornish people are unclear or confused of their identity and dont consider themselves English fine, but dont label us all as non-English, everybodys identity is there own.

Guest BLATCHY

Look on a map and it will clearly show that Cornwall is part of England - fact! This conversation is being written in English, and hardly anybody in the County, let alone this forum, can speak Cornish fluently - fact! When i fill up with petrol before work tomorrow, i will be buying it with English pound sterling - fact!

Im all for extra local identity but we are a County, like any other and not a nation.

Being Cornish is something to be proud of, we have a rich heritage, an world-influenceing history but we are a part of England, and if anybody cares to give any real evidence to the contary, feel free?

Im a Cornishman and aware and proud of my local heritage and identity but im also a Englishman and not because my school told be to be but because i have my own brain and worked it out for myself!

If other Cornish people are unclear or confused of their identity and dont consider themselves English fine, but dont label us all as non-English, everybodys identity is there own.

QUALITY MATE!!!!

Look on a map and it will clearly show that Cornwall is part of England - fact!

Look at original maps and it will not.

This conversation is being written in English..... When i fill up with petrol before work tomorrow, i will be buying it with English pound sterling - fact!

As in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland. Are they a part of England too ?

Who told you that ? Actually, I know. Whoever educated you that's who, and they lied to you.....and me, and everyone else here, but I have since found out otherwise.

we are a part of England, and if anybody cares to give any real evidence to the contary, feel free?

Okay, but this is a mere scratch on the barrell:

1. Cornwall is legally an extra territorial land from England and not an administrative county which it has illegally been since 1889 years .

2. Although our own Parliament was suspended in the 18th Century, we still have Independent Sovereign Rights that are fixed in law.

3. Henry VIII listed England and Cornwall separately, in the list of his realms given in his Coronation address.

4. Cornwall's right to its own sovereign Parliament, and the powers it pocesses under the Charter of Pardon were confirmed as valid in British law by the Lord Chancellor in 1977.

5. No record exists of any formal annexation of Cornwall to England.

6. Cornwall is a member of the Federal Union of Eurupean Nationalities which has special participatory status at the council of Europe in Strasburg and consultative status to the United Nations.

7. There is no mention in the " Anglo-Saxon Chronicles " that Cornwall was ever conquered by the English .

8. The Cornish language gained official UK Government recognition in 2002 and funding in 2005.

9. Cornwall, like Wales, was not party to the Act of Union in 1707.

10. Before the 1960's, there was little difference between Cornwall and Wales in constitutional terms.

11. Many treaty's and documents up until the 18th century made reference to there being a distinction between England and Cornubia ( Cornwall ) .

12. The 1969-71 Killbrandon Report into the British constitution states that, " when referring to Cornwall, official sources should cite the Duchy". This was in recognition of it's constitutional position.

13. You now have the right on some official forms to be able to record your Nationality as Cornish. Eg :NHS Registration Forms; if the Police ask you your Nationality, it is acceptable to them to record it as Cornish.

14. Maps of the British Isles produced up until the 18th century showed Cornwall as a distinct entity and on a par with Wales.

15. Cornwall is an older nation than England and one of the oldest Duchies in Europe.

16. 90% of Cornish place names are of celtic origin and derived from the Cornish language.

17. The Duchy includes the entire territory known as Cornwall, including the bed and waters of the River Tamar.

18. The Cornish are a Celtic people who once inhabited the entire region covered by present-day Cornwall, Devon and West-Somerset.

19. The Duke of Cornwall is our head of state ; Not the UK monarch.

20. The Duke's powers are further confirmed in the Tamar Bridge Act as recently as 1998.

but im also a Englishman and not because my school told be to be but because i have my own brain and worked it out for myself!

Would you care to explain how ? bearing in mind you are what you are told.

Which is the bottom line is'nt it. You don't like or can't accept the fact that you have been treated like this. Yes there is confusion because these lies have continued for well over 100 years.

If any Cornish person here wishes to delude themselves they are English, that's their choice, but you're only kidding yourself, and boy, how you are kidding yourself !!!

Hard to take ain't it ?

<_<QUALITY MATE!!!! <_<

Quality Batchy ??? Not even quantity Mate !!! :c:

I wrote a pretty good poem about this subject a while back (can't bloody find it in the archives though :( )..

Cornwall is in England. If it were to be left alone by those horrible English folk, it would die..

If it's seperated from England by the Tamar river, how come when I was at college in Stoke Climsland, I used to get driven to work each monday in Tavistock(which is in Devon) , without going over the Tamar bridge?.

Also, 1 last thing. Lets assume for one moment that Cornwall is it's own little country. Have you noticed how you can drive into Cornwall via the Tamar Bridge, without having to pay any toll?. Yet when it comes to exiting Cornwall and entering civilisation, there is a charge :D ..

Always made me laugh that did :c:

Hard argument for anybody to win really though. I'd argue that England isn't even English anymore :angry2:

And the begging bowl is still out grabbing what it can from the English. I wonder what would happen if all the English people left and took their money with them. There would not be many Cornish left. Its an interesting subject and I'm sure it will stay lively.

I am also amazed. the more I look at my own family history and one half is Cornish and goes back an eternity and my other side is Devon and Scotland. But at the end of the day I am English. Don't forget Devon was part of the Celtic region and we dont get carried away with that

The Devon flag is apparently dedicated to Saint Petroc. I suppose you think he is yours. No - he was born in Wales.

So why do the Cornish think they are the only Celts around. History is whatever people want to believe and what suits their purpose.

I had a look on Wikpedia. Not completely accurate I know but this was what was written.

The name 'Devon' derives from the name of the Celtic people who inhabited the southwestern peninsula of Britain at the time of the Roman invasion c. AD 50, known as the Dumnonii, thought to mean 'deep valley dwellers'. In the Brythonic Celtic languages, Devon is known as Dyfnaint (Welsh), Devnent in Breton and Dewnans (Cornish). (For an account of Celtic Dumnonia see the separate article.)

William Camden, in his 1607 edition of Britannia, described Devon as being one part of an older, wider country that once included Cornwall:

THAT region which, according to the Geographers, is the first of all Britaine, and, growing straiter still and narrower, shooteth out farthest into the West, […] was in antient time inhabited by those Britans whom Solinus called Dunmonii, […] But the Country of this nation is at this day divided into two parts, knowen by later names of Cornwall and Denshire, […]

So why doesn't Devon people say 'we are a seperate nation'. They'd look at you all daft

Its all good fun.

Part Of Devon was Celtic -just the part to the West of Dartmoor.

And the Cornish do not think themselves to be the only Celts - Scots, Welsh & Irish also share the heritage - but at least they are recognised as what they are and not wrongly described as 'English'.

On the Map subject - there are copies of ancient maps that clearly show what is Cornwall as - West Wales.

In some later maps this was altered to be 'Corner Wales' which was later abreviated to Cornwall.

There is certainly no coincidence in the fact that the Prince of Wales is also the Duke of Cornwall.

When I'm watching Wales v England - I am cheering for the Welsh..!

Guest BLATCHY

Look on a map and it will clearly show that Cornwall is part of England - fact!

Look at original maps and it will not.

This conversation is being written in English..... When i fill up with petrol before work tomorrow, i will be buying it with English pound sterling - fact!

As in Scotland Wales and Northern Ireland. Are they a part of England too ?

Who told you that ? Actually, I know. Whoever educated you that's who, and they lied to you.....and me, and everyone else here, but I have since found out otherwise.

we are a part of England, and if anybody cares to give any real evidence to the contary, feel free?

Okay, but this is a mere scratch on the barrell:

1. Cornwall is legally an extra territorial land from England and not an administrative county which it has illegally been since 1889 years .

2. Although our own Parliament was suspended in the 18th Century, we still have Independent Sovereign Rights that are fixed in law.

3. Henry VIII listed England and Cornwall separately, in the list of his realms given in his Coronation address.

4. Cornwall's right to its own sovereign Parliament, and the powers it pocesses under the Charter of Pardon were confirmed as valid in British law by the Lord Chancellor in 1977.

5. No record exists of any formal annexation of Cornwall to England.

6. Cornwall is a member of the Federal Union of Eurupean Nationalities which has special participatory status at the council of Europe in Strasburg and consultative status to the United Nations.

7. There is no mention in the " Anglo-Saxon Chronicles " that Cornwall was ever conquered by the English .

8. The Cornish language gained official UK Government recognition in 2002 and funding in 2005.

9. Cornwall, like Wales, was not party to the Act of Union in 1707.

10. Before the 1960's, there was little difference between Cornwall and Wales in constitutional terms.

11. Many treaty's and documents up until the 18th century made reference to there being a distinction between England and Cornubia ( Cornwall ) .

12. The 1969-71 Killbrandon Report into the British constitution states that, " when referring to Cornwall, official sources should cite the Duchy". This was in recognition of it's constitutional position.

13. You now have the right on some official forms to be able to record your Nationality as Cornish. Eg :NHS Registration Forms; if the Police ask you your Nationality, it is acceptable to them to record it as Cornish.

14. Maps of the British Isles produced up until the 18th century showed Cornwall as a distinct entity and on a par with Wales.

15. Cornwall is an older nation than England and one of the oldest Duchies in Europe.

16. 90% of Cornish place names are of celtic origin and derived from the Cornish language.

17. The Duchy includes the entire territory known as Cornwall, including the bed and waters of the River Tamar.

18. The Cornish are a Celtic people who once inhabited the entire region covered by present-day Cornwall, Devon and West-Somerset.

19. The Duke of Cornwall is our head of state ; Not the UK monarch.

20. The Duke's powers are further confirmed in the Tamar Bridge Act as recently as 1998.

but im also a Englishman and not because my school told be to be but because i have my own brain and worked it out for myself!

Would you care to explain how ? bearing in mind you are what you are told.

Which is the bottom line is'nt it. You don't like or can't accept the fact that you have been treated like this. Yes there is confusion because these lies have continued for well over 100 years.

If any Cornish person here wishes to delude themselves they are English, that's their choice, but you're only kidding yourself, and boy, how you are kidding yourself !!!

Hard to take ain't it ?

<_<QUALITY MATE!!!! <_<

Quality Batchy ??? Not even quantity Mate !!! :c:

I THINK YOU MAY NEED TO GET A LIFE WRITING ALL THAT !!!!!! :yahoo:

I wrote a pretty good poem about this subject a while back (can't bloody find it in the archives though :( )..

Cornwall is in England. If it were to be left alone by those horrible English folk, it would die..

If it's seperated from England by the Tamar river, how come when I was at college in Stoke Climsland, I used to get driven to work each monday in Tavistock(which is in Devon) , without going over the Tamar bridge?.

Also, 1 last thing. Lets assume for one moment that Cornwall is it's own little country. Have you noticed how you can drive into Cornwall via the Tamar Bridge, without having to pay any toll?. Yet when it comes to exiting Cornwall and entering civilisation, there is a charge :D ..

Always made me laugh that did :c:

Hard argument for anybody to win really though. I'd argue that England isn't even English anymore :angry2:

coopsie,so you say that you enter civilisation when you leave cornwall,so does that mean we are not civilised,yes with all that raping and pillaging,that goes on down here,you can see why evey body wants to come down here to live and not up in that so called civilisation place called london,from a proud cornish man.###### :c: :c:

coopsie,so you say that you enter civilisation when you leave cornwall,so does that mean we are not civilised,yes with all that raping and pillaging,that goes on down here,you can see why evey body wants to come down here to live and not up in that so called civilisation place called london,from a proud cornish man.###### :c::c:

I thought you knew me better than that Hayd?. It was most certainly NOT a slur on the Cornish people. By "civilisation", I meant somewhere where things happen, not like down here where people had to wait over 30 years for a leisure centre to be bulit in a town with a population of over 38000 people (Penzance)..

Cornwall IS too scared to move forward, and would prefer to cling to a history that leaves it as one of the poorest parts of the COUNTRY when it comes to pay, unemployment, redevelopment etc etc.. That is why I made the comment about civilisation. Over the bridge, people are not scared to advance and move with the times, down here they practically insist on standing still..

I've said MANY times in the past about how I'd never want my kids to grow up where I had to for the 1st decade of my life. However, if they ever REALLY want to make anything of themselves (which I hope they will), I'll advise them to get over that bridge (or go via that road I used to take from college to Tavistock ;) )at the earliest opportunity...

Go to Rennes and tell them you're English, they're liable to spit at you. Tell them you're Cornish and they will embrace you.

Well that's great advice :unsure: . Afterall, it's a lifetime ambition of mine to be embraced by the French :rolleyes: .. I DON'T BLOODY THINK SO :) ..

As for spitting at me, give me a break fella. A French man wanting to be confrontational :unsure: , You'll be telling me they want to go to war next :rolleyes: ...

With respect Coopsie, your argument is as weak as water because of your ignorance. That's not a criticism of you personally but of the education system.

Cornwall IS too scared to move forward, and would prefer to cling to a history that leaves it as one of the poorest parts of the COUNTRY when it comes to pay, unemployment, redevelopment etc etc.

No. You are too scared to move forward. Until Cornwall gets recognition on a par with Wales, we will remain the poorest parts of the UK. One of the main reasons is because of our head of state ( the Duke of Cornwall ) fails in his duty. In England, a proportion of money recieved by the Crown ( the Government ) is put back in the community. In Cornwall it goes to the Duchy and the Duke KEEPS ALL OF IT ! He takes around £16 million out of Cornwall per annum TAX FREE and then has the audacity to call the Duchy " a well managed private estate". Some private estate ! Thats just a part of it and to explain further here is too complex.

I've said MANY times in the past about how I'd never want my kids to grow up where I had to for the 1st decade of my life.

I understand your sentiments Coopsie, it's just that I'd rather my kids know the truth and stand up to be counted rather than leave. In any case, why should we have to leave ? They don't have to in England, Wales and Scotland ! To say the Cornish are too scared to move forward and would prefer to cling to our history, is a slur and insult on the Cornish Nation based on ignorance, even though I'm prettty sure you did'nt mean it like that. :c:

I am proud to be cornish and if i had my way i would send all the english back across the tamar and the only people who can have cornish plates on there cars are cornish the bloody english come down here from upcountry take are jobs ,take cornish homes ,and take are cornish women we are too bloody soft down ere and let the upcountry english shit on us all the time it really pisses me off to here so many foreigners ere in newquay its hard to find a cornish person we are being over run with them having 2nd homes while the likes of us cornish struggle to get a place .Well thats sorted now i will bugger off and have a cornish pasty not gingsters there orrible a proper cornish pasty.

I am proud to be cornish and if i had my way i would send all the english back across the tamar and the only people who can have cornish plates on there cars are cornish the bloody english come down here from upcountry take are jobs ,take cornish homes ,and take are cornish women we are too bloody soft down ere and let the upcountry english shit on us all the time it really pisses me off to here so many foreigners ere in newquay its hard to find a cornish person we are being over run with them having 2nd homes while the likes of us cornish struggle to get a place .Well thats sorted now i will bugger off and have a cornish pasty not gingsters there orrible a proper cornish pasty.

i do hope thats tongue in cheek,but your right about gingsters,when playing callinton ,they asked us back for pasties ,saw they were gingsters,so went hungry,they are shit nowonder they GIVE them to the football team any body in there right mind wouldn't pay for them :drink:

I'll be around knocking on your door in a minute and kicking you in the knee :lol: you can keep your cornish women too, :P Hope you enjoyed your pasty :smiley20: :clapper:

Ignorance personified. Attitudes like that make me laugh.. If it weren't for the "English shit" coming down here all the time the county WOULD die.. Take the blinkers off fella, it's tourism that keeps any money in the region at all. EVERYBODY knows that :rolleyes: .. Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid. You don't want that English shit coming down here buying up all the property etc. Well tough luck I'm afraid. You see, due to advancement and development up country, people are able to earn more, get better jobs etc etc, then come down here, see a nice property at a decent price, then buy it and get some other English shit of a mug to come down in the summer and pay £1000 per week to stay there whilst on holiday. Whilst pumping money into the local economy..

I'm sure if a Cornishman could do the same, he would??.

With respect Coopsie, your argument is as weak as water because of your ignorance. That's not a criticism of you personally but of the education system.

My opinion is based upon what I've seen, and do see week in week out. NOTHING to do with the education system. I work all over the UK, so am hardly making blind judgement..

No. You are too scared to move forward. Until Cornwall gets recognition on a par with Wales, we will remain the poorest parts of the UK. One of the main reasons is because of our head of state ( the Duke of Cornwall ) fails in his duty. In England, a proportion of money recieved by the Crown ( the Government ) is put back in the community. In Cornwall it goes to the Duchy and the Duke KEEPS ALL OF IT ! He takes around £16 million out of Cornwall per annum TAX FREE and then has the audacity to call the Duchy " a well managed private estate". Some private estate ! Thats just a part of it and to explain further here is too complex.

The head of state is NOTHING to do with me. It's not my fault he's milking the county. So I fail to see how it's me that's scared to move forward??.

I've said MANY times in the past about how I'd never want my kids to grow up where I had to for the 1st decade of my life.

I understand your sentiments Coopsie, it's just that I'd rather my kids know the truth and stand up to be counted rather than leave. In any case, why should we have to leave ? They don't have to in England, Wales and Scotland ! To say the Cornish are too scared to move forward and would prefer to cling to our history, is a slur and insult on the Cornish Nation based on ignorance, even though I'm prettty sure you did'nt mean it like that. :c:

I don't think you understood me there Graham?. I in no way said anyone should leave Cornwall. I said I wouldn't want my kids to grow up where I did. I grew up in Seven Sisters, Tottenham. It's a shit hole, FACT... I then went on to say, IF my kids want to REALLY do something with their lives, I'll begrudgingly encourage them to go over the Tamar Bridge because it's far more likely they'll get the chance to experience REAL opportunity and earn REAL money up the line.

That is NOT a slur on the Cornish people or the county in general. It's a stone cold FACT. Whether that'll change in the future, well who knows?.

As your beloved county proudly preaches, "One and All", NOT "only the Cornish and f**k the rest of you" :c:

Graham were you not a victim of state harrasment and arrested under the Terrorism Act of 2001 for simply being Cornish?
Sort of. It was for standing up to the Establishment and they tried to frighten me off, which just made me double my efforts for recognition..............which is all I ask; and in the name of Sport.

i do hope thats tongue in cheek,but your right about gingsters
Agreed...on both counts. I have nothing against people down moving here. In fact I find it irresondible and selfish to say otherwise because migration is a two way thing. But when it's forced ( 70,000 new homes in Cornwall and for who ? not local people that's for sure ) it's an entirely different matter.

Coopsie, I did misunderstand you. I did'nt know or realise you were from England orginally.

Here's my point:

In Wales, you are taught Welsh history alongside British history. The same in Scotland and N. Ireland. However, in Cornwall we are taught English history but not a mention of our own, which is rich and facinating. It's called Cultural Genocide. "Tell them nothing and they'll think they're English". This worked until about 20years ago, when people started to find out otherwise and began asking questions.

The head of state is NOTHING to do with me. It's not my fault he's milking the county. So I fail to see how it's me that's scared to move forward??.
I accept that in view of my misunderstanding of your birthplace, and it's not our fault we were kept ignorant of the facts either, but now I know different, I feel 'One and All' should know the truth. Or should we base our lives on lies and deceit ? Do you want your kids to grow up here and told nothing of our rich culture and diversity ? I think not, but that's what they're getting and it must change. Recognition will have a wonderful effect on Football here in the Duchy. A raising of standards which has never been more needed than now. At present, the pinnacle of a soccer players representative honour is to play for Cornwall Youth team. Hardly fair is it ?

I have always done my very best to raise standards and seek justice for ALL who play sport in Cornwall, which very much includes Cornish Soccer as a whole. Therefore, to see this thread switched to 'Moved' which seems to mean, removing the number of posters and views it gets and letting it slip down the order even though it is still very active and interesting just to stop me from telling the truth A BLOODY DISGRACE ADMIN !!!! :SM_carton:

In Wales, you are taught Welsh history alongside British history. The same in Scotland and N. Ireland. However, in Cornwall we are taught English history but not a mention of our own, which is rich and facinating. It's called Cultural Genocide. "Tell them nothing and they'll think they're English". This worked until about 20years ago, when people started to find out otherwise and began asking questions.

I went to school in both Essex and Newquay and in both schools i learnt a bit about Cornish history, :D i also did English, American, Irish and anything else that the teachers thought i might need to know or come in useful one day. :thumbsup:

I have always done my very best to raise standards and seek justice for ALL who play sport in Cornwall, which very much includes Cornish Soccer as a whole. Therefore, to see this thread switched to 'Moved' which seems to mean, removing the number of posters and views it gets and letting it slip down the order even though it is still very active and interesting just to stop me from telling the truth A BLOODY DISGRACE ADMIN !!!! :SM_carton:

Graham, Admin on here tend to like threads to go in the sections they feel are relevent to them. As this topic is not directly about football, its been put in the non-fooball section. Threads get moved all the time on here, its not just this one. I wouldn't have thought that it would make much difference to the amount of views it gets, personally I read this section more than the main disscussion board, as in my experience, you don't seem to get many posts of interest there.

I'll be around knocking on your door in a minute and kicking you in the knee :lol: you can keep your cornish women too, :P Hope you enjoyed your pasty :smiley20::clapper:

Morning young anita i loved my pasty from warrens and i am still waiting for you to come around and kick me on the knee i do get pissed off with all these foreigners coming down here i am cornish born +bred and had to wait 14 years to get the flat im in now and also wish i could find a nice cornish girl the one i got now is from yorkshire and is moving out on dec 1st so cornish girls i will be young free and single again ok not so young being 52 so girls if you like goin to footy standing in the rain and gales or sitting on the rocks fishing in the middle of winter im your man .I will be waiting anita trousers up knees ready you have a good day. :c:

Okay, some very nice and interesting 'facts' have come out on this thread about the 'nation' of Cornwall but nothing that is actually relevant. Our tin and fishing industrys are, like those facts, a thing of the past and our economy is based almost entirely on tourism. What kind of future would Cornwall have without the support of England?

There are many antique and obselete 'laws' technically still in effect across Britain, although nobody pays any attention to them, because they are now outdated and laughable, much like the idea of Cornwall being a independent nation!

These are just my opinions, but what is fact is i am a Cornishman and a Englishman, not because my teachers said so, or because the government says so, but because I say so, and im sure im backed up by contempary law, even if not by medievel.

What i find hard to take, is not that ive been lied to by teachers and England my whole life but rather that people i dont even know, or care to know for that matter, are telling me who i am and how i should feel about my home and way of life.

Okay, some very nice and interesting 'facts' have come out on this thread about the 'nation' of Cornwall but nothing that is actually relevant. Our tin and fishing industrys are, like those facts, a thing of the past and our economy is based almost entirely on tourism. What kind of future would Cornwall have without the support of England?

There are many antique and obselete 'laws' technically still in effect across Britain, although nobody pays any attention to them, because they are now outdated and laughable, much like the idea of Cornwall being a independent nation!

These are just my opinions, but what is fact is i am a Cornishman and a Englishman, not because my teachers said so, or because the government says so, but because I say so, and im sure im backed up by contempary law, even if not by medievel.

What i find hard to take, is not that ive been lied to by teachers and England my whole life but rather that people i dont even know, or care to know for that matter, are telling me who i am and how i should feel about my home and way of life.

I'll tell you what, that is 1 superb post there. Quite possibly the most sensible and levelled post I've ever read (apart from my own of course :D;) )..

As for the outdated and forgotten laws you spoke about. Did you know that in History at school, I was taught/told than it's illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas day :unsure: . AND was also told that it's illegal for a policeman to be on duty/working on Christmas day :o ..

Perhaps we could open up a whole new topic about laws that have never been written out and just left in the back of the ever growing law book, to be forgotten..

LOVE this one, it's illegal to die in the house of commons :clapper:

It's an act of treason to place a stamp upside down if posting a letter :rolleyes:

It's illegal to enter the house of lords wearing a suit of armour...

Other weird rules/laws included a ban on firing a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839); a ban on the use of any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847); and the prohibition of driving cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867).

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants (Did Paula Radcliffe have a baby not so long ago?)

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen

It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing....

i will have alook dreckley :c: mate :yahoo:

I'll tell you what, that is 1 superb post there. Quite possibly the most sensible and levelled post I've ever read (apart from my own of course :D;) )..

As for the outdated and forgotten laws you spoke about. Did you know that in History at school, I was taught/told than it's illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas day :unsure: . AND was also told that it's illegal for a policeman to be on duty/working on Christmas day :o ..

Perhaps we could open up a whole new topic about laws that have never been written out and just left in the back of the ever growing law book, to be forgotten..

LOVE this one, it's illegal to die in the house of commons :clapper:

It's an act of treason to place a stamp upside down if posting a letter :rolleyes:

It's illegal to enter the house of lords wearing a suit of armour...

Other weitd rules/laws included a ban on firing a cannon close to a dwelling house (Met Police Act 1839); a ban on the use of any slide upon ice or snow (Town Police Clauses Act 1847); and the prohibition of driving cattle through the streets of London (Metropolitan Streets Act 1867).

In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants (Did Paula Radcliffe have a baby not so long ago?)

The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen

It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing....