Cornwall Football Forum

St. Austell v Newquay

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that this story has dominarted the paper, but it was expected. At least with photos there is some sort of evidence.

When I posted earlier Kellow asked,how could I see from where I was? and tried to dismiss my version of what happened? I didn't say what exactly just that Whetts statement was incorrect. Although I may be from Newquay my posts are not always biased, they often are the truth, whether you like it or not.

If you look at the other photos online you can also see that other people were involved in throwing punches!!

Hoping it all gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

Check these photos out -

http://www.newquayvoice.co.uk/photos.asp?catID=6404

At least thejudge didn't drop his fag!! :SM_carton:

I'd give a penny for the thoughts of any of the directors of Liddicoat Sanderson or Driveline at this point.........

Obviously these firms pay good money to get seen in the local press as supporting their local club but this is ridiculous!

Guest SAILED THE SEVEN SEAS

DISGRACEFUL, TO LATE TO APOLOGISE WHETTERS SEE DINGLE GOT ONVOLVED AS WELL BAN THE LOT OF THEM DISGRACEFUL. THE FACE OF PAUL HAMPSHIRES WIFE IN THE PHOTO SAYS IT ALL.

ST AUSTELL SHOULD TAKE ACTION AS WELL WITH WHETTERS AND DINGLE FIRST TO GO. :angry2:

players managers and fans throwing punches . sad but probably both clubs will be punished . an smoking is illegal how come he wasnt asked to stop or removed from the stand

Guest Scooter

cheers and gone andy dingle...... and he was saying how he did nothing moments later!!!! haha....

'Whetter’s manager, Andy Dingle, appeared to have anticipated something not being right with the player before the match having stripped him off his captain’s armband.

“His head hasn't been right for a couple of weeks and that's why he was relieved of his captaincy today. I'm going to consider all of my options over the next couple of days" he said.

“I treat this incident very seriously and at this moment in time I cannot see that Lee Whetter has a future with St Austell football club” concluded Dingle

hmmmmmmmmmmm??????

I'm not making any comment on the subject as I believe the incident is being dealt with by the CCFA. However, the incident and the forum showing posts and photos was one of the main stories on Westcountry News on TV tonight, as a result the moderators of the site will be monitoring posts made due to the high amount of users viewing the site as a result. Thanks

18 month ban at least, you cannot just go off into the crowd no matter who it is and what has been said?

CCFA need to act swiftly and forcefully.

18 Months!! Some people are saying ban him for life!!

Yet Eric Cantona karate kicks someone in the head and is all over the National Media and gets a 9 month ban. CCFA should be put this into perspective before doing anything rash!

Ah, didn't realise that.

I think it is unaminous from all concerned that Lee Whetter should receive a severe punishment for his actions.

However, few are metioning anything about the Judge being punished. A player isn't going to head for a supporter for no reason. We have all read the Judge's posts on here and some are rather controversial. I know people who have been banned from football stadia for standing up in a seated area whereas here you have a fan who has abused a player yet is not up for any punishment. "Friendly banter" is surely only friendly if both people are happy with what is being said. On this occasion it appears that Lee Whetter was not happy and therefore The Judge had obviously gone too far.

I think that photo is after he got punched by dingle what do u expect

i think before you accuse andy of throwing a punch make sure the facts you have are correct. although the picture that was taken may well look like it is him throwing the punch it may well not be.the photo for that particular incident is misleading i believe <_<

HAVING READ THIS and Lee's apology thread, there appears to be an element of fault from more than one side, baiting from the terraces, others joining in after the event AND the ADMITTED ACTIONS by the player. As with MOST incidents in life many are only aware AFTER something has occurred, many not actually seeing and mentioning with 100% accuracy what happened.

Many although not having all the facts are calling for a lengthy or Sine Die punishment, how can the CCFA possibly arrive at a just conclusion to the matter because there has to be an element of doubt about what led to the player acting according to those who know him 'out of character'. When the dust has settled there may be cautions for the ALLEGED baiters of the player and those who joined in the fray, as for the player, unsavoury as the incident may have been, a suspension with part of it being suspended may be the best course of action.

I must say that since the incident THE JUDGE has kept his distance and acted with a degree of dignity many wouldn't have credited him with after being on the end of some of his CSF postings.

Let's hope there is a reasonable outcome to this incident.

As an exile I do not have any connection to anyone or any club involved, I do however care about Cornish football and hope the CCFA act on factual not hearsay evidence.

HAVING READ THIS and Lee's apology thread, there appears to be an element of fault from more than one side, baiting from the terraces, others joining in after the event AND the ADMITTED ACTIONS by the player. As with MOST incidents in life many are only aware AFTER something has occurred, many not actually seeing and mentioning with 100% accuracy what happened.

Many although not having all the facts are calling for a lengthy or Sine Die punishment, how can the CCFA possibly arrive at a just conclusion to the matter because there has to be an element of doubt about what led to the player acting according to those who know him 'out of character'. When the dust has settled there may be cautions for the ALLEGED baiters of the player and those who joined in the fray, as for the player, unsavoury as the incident may have been, a suspension with part of it being suspended may be the best course of action.

I must say that since the incident THE JUDGE has kept his distance and acted with a degree of dignity many wouldn't have credited him with after being on the end of some of his CSF postings.

Let's hope there is a reasonable outcome to this incident.

As an exile I do not have any connection to anyone or any club involved, I do however care about Cornish football and hope the CCFA act on factual not hearsay evidence.

here here mountaineer :c: :clapper:

haha good one. why is everyone saying ban the guy for life or 18months, its ridiculous. Yeah he shouldn't have done it but he'll get a ban, regret it and get on with it. And the manager trying to say he saw something before the game what a joke!!taking the captaincy off him obviously helped!!!

Dont know anyone concerned so not at all biased, loved the sequence of pics tho where a newquay 'fan' is cockin back his fist and then the next 3 pics show him gettin sparked out!!priceless.

seen more cowardly things ON a pitch that do more damage and dont get punished at all.

As a neutral who wasnt at the game, i have to rely on obtaining my information from other sources. What is plain to see in the photographs is Lee Whetter with the judge in a headlock with his fist clenched as if about to punch him. This with the judge unable to defend himself as he has his back to him. You can also see him pushing past a lady holding a very young baby. None of this should be up for dispute.

Since this story broke, there have been several different points of view including those that think that because the player has 'apologised' then thats ok and lets forget about it, move on and well done for apologising.

Others have been coming on and character referencing the player as being completely out of character

and yet others who shortly after the story broke were pretty much playing it down as handbags and justifying it as deserved because it was the judge.

What i noticed shortly after it broke was that Lee Whetter came on to this forum and quoted the following

post Oct 17 2009, 06:59 PM

Post #53

leemccheese

Group: Members

get ur fact right before u start saying stuff boys half of u was nt there,i was shown a second yellow card and was sent off,so went to the stand because not alowed to sit in the dugout as found out from cally last season,ran up there to get out the way off things because was the last few mins, and all i could here was drums and aload of abuse, from the judge so should nt reacted, went over and just give him a piece of my mind, no punches were thrown loads of people joined in, HANDBAGS from both team and fans, its funny not the first time the judge has had people pissed off with him,

certainly no apology there and pretty much denying it was anything more than 'handbags'

Now given the photographic evidence that has come to light since that shows that this clearly wasnt just 'handbags' it does seem to cast a huge amount of doubt on the integrity of Mr Whetter

Of course it is easy to apologise once you know you have been caught red handed and the cynical amongst us might think that the apology was made in self preservation (after perhaps listening to some advice)

Whatever your thoughts on this, there should be no place for this sort of behaviour on or off the football pitch. banter or abuse is no excuse for a violent retort (and unfortunately there is only hearsay evidence to suggest that this was the cause)

Those suggesting a lenient ban as punishment need their heads screwing on. If you dish out a lenient ban then you set a precedent for others to sort out their grivances with violence knowing that at the end of it they will be back on the pitch within weeks/months. In one fell swoop spectating at football matches becomes more dangerous. Just because it was only a few cuts and bruises this time doesnt mean that it wouldnt be next time. In fact, it seems to be extremely fortunate that it was only a few cuts and bruises. It only takes a split second of bad luck for someone to lose their footing and fall over smashing their head on the way down for it to be much, much worse.

Surely with so many football clubs struggling financially this sort of behaviour will keep both spectators and sponsors well away when they need quite the opposite.

Whatever the final punishment is, i hope it helps prevent others from thinking about repeating the incident.

I have stayed away from this since Saturday as I believe the CCFA should deal with the situation. After reading both threads there are a few things I would like to say.

100% Cornish, Lisa Hampshire was there watching her husband play football like she has since he has joined Newquay. Congratulations to the Hampshires on the birth of Ellie and may they continue to come and watch Paul play like they are fully entitled to. A bit ridiculous that you should think otherwise, football is to be enjoyed by anyone that wants to watch.

Andy Whitfield needs to consider the way in which he conducts himself when watching Newquay, I think his support and efforts for the club are great but as witnessed by many and caught on camera throwing punches at people in the stands is not the way a member of any club should be conducting themselves, even if he his helping a friend restraining Whetts would have been a better option and more of a help to the overall situation.

Kellow, you are rightly defending Andy Dingle as the manager of your club, however, having been shown the pictures in the paper and online, they are not compelling in proving Andy's innocence, I am not the only one that was there that believe I saw Andy throw the punch and the pictures suggest this was the case, although, Dingle is one of the only ones that knows the truth.

To be honest I really think this should be left for the CCFA to investigate and draw the official conclusion, the whole event was embarrassing for cornish football and one I never want to witness again!

:c:

Absolutely disgraceful but I must admit I cant help but chuckle. Reminds me of a match at Newton Abbot a few years ago when a Newton player jumped (yes) jumped into the stand to get hold of a spectator who had been acting completely out of order. If I'm not wrong he threw him out of the stand. Needless to say the player received major punishment while the spectator if I am correct got off scot free. This looks something similar. A spectator has just as much responsibility as a player at a football match, its just a shame that a player has to be so abused (so I have been told) that he has to take this action. Am I correct. it wasn't that long ago that there was an almighty fracas involving the St Austel bench and players. This could be bad for both clubs and bad for football in Cornwall.

Hold it right there!

I was at the game. Just a couple of metres away from the Judge, he never once 'abused' any St Austell player.

There was a bit of booing and cheering, actually a really good atmosphere.

In my opinion there was more abuse and bad language coming from the St Austell fans.

I do know that there has been bad feeling in the past between Whetters and the Judge (mostly on the forum)

Lee Whetters behaviour was totally unprovoked on Saturday, it was a shock to everyone that was there.

It almost seems that it wasn't a spur of the moment decision and that's even more worrying.

I trust you will offer your views of the incident to the CCFA

I've just seen the inicdent discussed on westcountry tonight, photo's and all. Great scoop for the forum although I think the presenter did say it had a touch of Tom & Jerry about it.

Kellow, after your initial comments about what happened, I am vary of your recent comments on the involvement of the manager. I would agree with you thst maybe the photos are not conclusive but as the photos are taken in some sort of sequence then I come make some validated judgements ( there are also people present who witnessed the incident). Photos 16, 17,18 and 19 are taken in a row. Look at the boot and sock in the bottom left corner and compare it to what the manager is wearing in picture 12. Follow that by his presence in pictures 18 and 19 and you are clutching at straws.

3 people to deal with, Whetts, Dingle and Andy from Newquay, end of.

The sooner CCFA make a decision the better as we can all put this to one side, hopefully.

As for abuse, as a recent player now trying to help out cornish football by running the line,I get abused for the majority of every game and am in no position to even say anything back. I was even getting s**t from a kid on sat with his dad (I persume) stood next to him. Deal with it!!

Tom & Jerry

Why, if we become as famous and successful as these characters, we'll all be very happy! :D

There was no 'abuse'.

This is where we all have different opinions on what one classes as abuse. As far as I am concerned there was unnecessary language, aimed at players of St Austell, coming from the Stand where the Newquay supporters were situated. And it was must have been loud because I was standing on the opposite side of the pitch!

Yes, a player has to be deal with it and rise above it. And yes some of it was in good humour in particular towards Lee Bradd (how I wished he had landed one of his wayward shots in the back of the Newquay net, because that might have silenced them, but it wasn't to be!).

However, some of the language should not have been used.

Unfortunately though it seems common practice these days. Only the week before at Truro v Mangotsfield, the language coming from a small group of young Truro supporters sitting towards the back of one of the temporary stands was even worse! ;)

Whilst I wasnt at the game, reports of Andy Dingle throwing punches accompanied by photos that all but confirm so, will St Austell be suspending their manager as well?

What Lee Whetter did was ridiculous and I will not condone it but it appears to me as though Dingle is getting away with murder here!

Dingle was drafted in By Glyn Rowett. In a massive turn of events he then jumps into the position the very minute Glyn gets the boot. Personally if I were part of a coaching staff that were put in place by a man who then gets kicked out, i'd walk with him as a show of solidarity and respect. He didnt.

Not sure about the circumstances behind the rumour of stripping his skipper of the arm band before the game but to be honest, a one on one and a bit of a pep talk in this case would have been much better; who knows what personal circumstances could have led to Lee's head not being right?

A manager worth his salt would have told him to puff his chest out as skipper and show everyone why the club have made him captain, or if as he claims he "sensed" something wasnt right beforehand.........Leave him out. If you are a proud skipper, being stripped of the arm band is a massive kick in the teeth, shows poor man mangement skills if you ask me.

Double standards from CCFA and St Austell if this bloke gets away scott free.

Regardless of what the players do, the manager is the focal point of any club, the public leader, the spokeperson, the man who takes the mantle of a club and advertises his ways throughout football.

This is not an advert any club would want, especially after just appointing him following the most bizarre managerial exit we've ever seen!

Whether you like him or not, Glyn Rowett would not have been in that stand throwing punches.

I hope that the club dont allow Dingles actions to be brushed under the carpet. More should be expected of a manager and to be fair against his former club it should have been easy enough to diffuse the issue rather than swinging at people who used to support him!

Seems to me, Dingles "sixth sense" since this incident has been publicised suggests he is now turning on one of his players to try and pave a way out for himself.

Did anybody else see this episode on the news before the champions league highlights what a disgrace , my hat goes off to paul hampshire because if it was my baby and missus up there a ban from football would be the least for whetter to worry about .

id get ya fact right people!if you look closely its not dingle throwing the punch hes trying to hold back the person who is punching the newquay fan! i dnt think many people have 2 right arms!well i dont know of any!