Cornwall Football Forum

A Tribute to Brian Jefferis

As the news has now filtered through on the tragic loss of Brian Jefferis, I have been ask to start a topic as a tribute. Although I didn't know Brian many people on this forum do, so feel free to write your memories of him. RIP

Having had one of my best friend's also a talented footballer take his life many years ago I know how friends and family must be feeling at this time.

Link

As a result of Brian’s death, Saturday’s away fixture to Camelford was called off.

Instead the players and management team of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League club gathered at Weston Mill Social Club to remember him.

A minute’s silence was held at games across Devon on Saturday.

A minute’s silence will be marked at Vospers Oak Villa’s next game.

“On behalf of Vospers Oak Villa Football Club and Weston Mill Sports and Social Club I would like to send our sincere condolences to Brian’s family,” John added.

Michelle Newman, former Vospers Oak Villa club secretary, said: “It’s very sad – tragic in fact. I just can’t believe it.

“Brian was an extrovert and always the life and soul of the party.

“He was always so happy.”

The following has been taken from the Southwest Peninsula Forum.

It is with deepest regret that we have to announce the untimely death of Brian Jefferis, aged 34, of Vospers Oak Villa. Brian was a very popular footballer who made many friends wherever he went. He was the heart and soul of the dressing room and his influence will be sorely missed. He was a talented footballer who read the game very well. Football was Brians life and his death is a huge loss for local football.

Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.

Vospers Oak Villa would like to thank the South West Peninsula league, particularly Mr Mark Hayman and Mr Phil Hiscox, and Mrs Hilary Kent of Camelford F.C for their understanding at this difficult time and allowing us to postpone last Saturdays game.

Vospers Oak Villa would like to thank those who have given their kind words of support and any messages of condolences will be passed onto Brians family.

Martin Burgess

Vospers Oak Villa Manager

Speaking as someone who lost a family member in such a way, I would like to send a personal message of sympathy to his Family, Friends and Colleagues and wish them every prayer in their battle to come to terms with such a tragic and sadly early loss.

Also, all at St Blazey will echo me by sending condolences at the loss of one of our fraternity, R.I.P.

Guest betti1

On behalf of everyone at Millbrook AFC may I pass on our deepest sympathies to Brians family at this devastating time for them. Brian first came to Millbrook as a young lad under the manager Jeff Bennett and he had played on and off for us a few times. He always remembered everyone at Millbrook whenever we met and was always so friendly. A sad loss to everyone who knew him but most of all his family. May you have now found peace Brian.

Sharan

Just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear this tragic news. I had the great pleasure of managing Brian on three occassions, at Saltash, Vospers and for a short time at Liskeard last season. Brian, without a doubt, was a talented footballer with a great first touch and a great delivery and you couldn't wish to have anyone better in your dressing room.

The biggest compliment I could pay him is that football has lost a 'proper football character'. There all too few of them in the game today and his loss will leave a big, big hole. Banter, one liners, wise cracks and practical jokes were always done in the right way and never over stepped the mark. He was a top lad.

If there is such a place as football heaven it is going it's going to be a much funnier place when Brian gets there!!

RIP Bri

Coops

Guest tafc.-gaffa

As most people on here im totally devastated to here this sad,sad news.

Having played with Brian as far back as 12 years old for S.B. Frankfurt F.C. in the Devon Junior Minor League it was always apparent he was a cut above anyone he played with or against. The success our team had over its run through all years, through under 11 to under 15 would never of been so great without him in it.

At that age he was pulling all the strings from the middle of the park with individual brilliance. As Leigh Cooper has mentioned about his first touch and pinpointed passes it made lesser players in his team look better.

As for opposition players, because of his cheeky sense of humour it must of been so annoying to play against with his ability to beat you by feet and then mouth without overstepping the mark, most could,nt wait for the final whistle!

All this at such a young age, its no doubt he went on to be the player he became.

Brian came down to Torpoint in a pre-season friendly a few weeks ago with Vospers and i chatted with him afterwards about still playing at our ages(34) to which he said he couldnt retire, if i had started managing as there was a danger he might have to play under me one day and he'd never have that.

Always the joker with a great sense of humour i think thats how he will be remembered, that just happened to be a superb footballer.

My thoughts are with his family and other friends at this time,

R.I.P my friend,

Neill Williams

Torpoint Athletic Duchy Premier Player/Manager

Brian will always have a plce many peoples thoughts an hearts. A commited player on the field, who always knew how to make people laugh and smile. having been in the dressing room with him on many occasions, as well as being cousins im gutted to know that foorball has lost one of the best charachters to have around! may i take this chance to thank you all for your messages on behalf of the family. hopefully there will be some sort of memorial match held for brian soon. Brian showed us all that enjoyment was the most important part of the game.... this should never be forgotten... and nor should he!

Rest In Peace Brian

Love you

Jafs ######