Cornwall Football Forum

A comparison

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Consider if you will, the similarities between Truro City FC and Mounts Bay RFC.

One main benefactor (Heany/Leah)

Elevated success (how many promotions in how many years?)

Bankruptcy (not yet/yes)...

Whatever are you suggesting Sir ?

deano, check this out

http://stadiumforcornwall.com/

h :c:

Whatever you do, DO NOT sign up for this sham of a petition. It is not a stadium for Cornwall that they want, just one for Truro and Pirates. No one outside of these teams would get any real benefit but we would all have to pay for it through increased council tax.

Hardly a surprising comment there ,Judge.

You are so predictable,and boring.

Spoken like a true Cornishman.

Forgot! you aint Cornish. :c::c::c:

Boring ! You are so Cornish, you support a London team and live in Somerset. I am proud of where I live and the team I follow home and away, since when did where you were born in the UK stop someone from having an opinion ?

Ask anyone in St Just, Sennen, Mousehole, Millbrook, Torpoint, Bude etc etc how such a facility would benefit them, they would have to pay for it but only two teams would use it and that is the truth behind the so called Staudium for Cornwall.

City even have posters in their clubhouse asking for support, I don't recall seeing any other club in the county having such a poster on my travels.

This subject and The Judge's words are not boring, Kevin Heaney promised a Top Training Complex and Stadium for "THE PEOPLE OF CORNWALL" and i see no action on his promise!! Some people need to take the "rose tinted" glasses off and smell the coffee!!

In my opinion Judge is boring,if you or anyone else dont like my opinion ,tough.

I signed the petition,along with many others, and I repeat ,if you dont like it tough.

Im entitled,to have my say ,just as much as you lot.

Up the Spurs and the Mighty City.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

Ahh, the sound of SSpur being firmly put in his place, no sensible comeback obviously, no surprise !

having followed the link and gone through the petition my only concern is there is very little reference to football and it is mainly being lead by the rugby fraternity. this to me rings alarm bells more than the truro/pirates scenario because as usual football in cornwall will be left behind if we ever get a stadium.how much longer are we prepared to be the poor relations in cornish sport. :SM_carton:

Gosh - Postie Pidge - someone who checks for some facts before attacking Truro.

You are correct - The Campaign and Petition has nothing to do with TCFC - it was independently started and did originate in Rugby Circles. TCFC however in general have said they will support the campaign.

Full marks to someone [Pidge] who will check for some facts before launching into a torrent of criticism against Truro City.

The remainder though I am sure will continue to 'Shout' and 'Abuse' before knowing the Facts..!!

You are correct - The Campaign and Petition has nothing to do with TCFC - it was independently started and did originate in Rugby Circles. TCFC however in general have said they will support the campaign.

Full marks to someone [Pidge] who will check for some facts before launching into a torrent of criticism against Truro City.

The remainder though I am sure will continue to 'Shout' and 'Abuse' before knowing the Facts..!!

Someone didn't read the post he replied to :clapper::D I'm sure Postman Pat won't be too offended being called pidge :lol: :drink:

As one who does read up about vital information, I would suggest you actually read your statement and the thread, then remind everyone on what PIDGE has said !!!

At no point, has anyone suggested that TCFC started the petition but it is very easy to see why they latched onto it. Fact remains, it is not primarily a stadium for Cornwall that is being suggested, no political party has promoted the idea, as it is complete vote killer as most of Cornwall would not benefit from it, but would end up paying for it. The politicans will say it is a good idea (and indeed a Stauim for Cornwall is in general) but no party will put council tax payers momey into it for the reason stated.

I support a Stadium for Cornwall, always have done BUT it is the Pirates and TCFC would would gain most and get Heaney off the hook. Once again, what would anyone from the rest of the Duchy would benefit ? Saltash, Bude, Porthleven, Camelford, Wadebridge, Liskeard etc, when would residents get to use it ?

The Anti City - Pirates brigade miss one point - A Stadium for Cornwall is what it says, there could be many uses, initially the rate payer may foot some (or all) of the bill OR if there were justice Prince Charles could fund it from of the money he takes out of the Duchy each year, to have a 21st century stadium you have to have 21st century clubs to grace it, the Pirates and City are the only two capable for that at this time, BUT IT WOULD NOT BE FREE as many indicate in their opposition, both Pirates and Truro would have to pay rent and enter into a time contract as indeed any business renting from others have to do. A successful Stadium for Cornwall could provide a cash making spin off for small businesses in the local area.

Residing outside Cornwall I do not feel I have the right to support or oppose the Stadium for Cornwall petition which became necessary when the COUNCIL REJECTED Truro City's application for planning permission. It wasn't Mr Heaney who failed to deliver it was the Council rejection, the credit crunch came later when all those on the GRAVY TRAIN got a bloody nose, therefore, had the Council given approval it is unlikely the Truro City complex would have gone ahead for several years, if at all.

If I have a say (which I don't) I would oppose Football and Rugby clubs sharing the same pitch in a Stadium for Cornwall but like to see the same location used therefore utilising the same car parks, office buildings, refreshment facilities etc, with grounds side by side the terracing between both grounds could be reversible and incorporate a business centre to eventually ensure it's profitability to the benefit of the ratepayer.

Guest watcher

Why do the likes of Big G and other Heaney apologists assume those of us who have consistently dared to be critical of him aren't in possession of 'the facts'? What 'facts' are these then? The 'facts' that the lawyers threaten writs against getting into the public domain? The 'facts' that some individuals have been intimidated and warned off exposing?

Now some of the facts are getting out into open court, how long can these apologists continue to peddle the same old excuses that 'it was the recession what did for our Kevin' and not his way of doing business and his abysmal treatment of people who took him at his word?

to have a 21st century stadium you have to have 21st century clubs to grace it, the Pirates and City are the only two capable for that at this time,

what a load of s**t, (and not aimed at the pirates)

please look back over the last 12 months or so and see how city have conducted themselves as a club , not everyone involved and not on the pitch, would you trust them in a stadium paid for by us hard working tax paying cornish men. would not trust the chairman as far as i could throw him

a stadium should be for everyone, from the kids, women, to vets sides

:c::c: :c:

I support a Stadium for Cornwall, always have done BUT it is the Pirates and TCFC would would gain most and get Heaney off the hook. Once again, what would anyone from the rest of the Duchy would benefit ? Saltash, Bude, Porthleven, Camelford, Wadebridge, Liskeard etc, when would residents get to use it ?

Judge the thing is a stadium for Cornwall would have to be centrally located, ie near Truro. And in reality Truro and the Pirates are probably the only two teams that could use it to anywhere near its full potential. As Mountaineer has pointed out they would have to pay for that right in some form of lease agreement. As for the rest of the county, they would get the benefits in the form of a proper stadium for all cup finals, or maybe somewhere to hold concerts for acts that are too big for the HFC. Im sure that facilities could be provided for the local community in the form of training areas, gyms etc then its up to others if they want to travel to use the facilities.

One might say the same thing about Wembley, ie how does it benefit the whole of London? Well we are on a much smaller scale down here of course but the stadium could play a similar role as a goal to be reached for the smaller clubs. With regard to financing it, well the burden would have to fall on the taxpayer to a degree but what about other stadia that sell the naming rights? Just a few ideas for sponsorship could alleviate some of the burden on the taxpayer.

Cornwall does need a stadium, and if it eventually does get one we should be glad that there are one or two teams out there that can help recoup some of the costs.

My 2 cents as someone who follows (in order) Newquay, Truro, Godolphin and on the off chance that none of those three (or Newquay reserves) have a game, any other local team that happens to be playing.

Guest Luffy

A County Stadium mmmm...... Great dream but one I doubt will get off the floor for at least another two decades especially as the Council have a huge deficit to fill before they look at venues for sport or entertainment. The problem is Cornwall is just not rich enough to be able to afford such an arena. Take the Hall for Cornwall it struggles to be self sufficient and is has been bailed out on several occasions with tax payer’s money.

I also doubt that Truro and the Pirates renting the ground would be viable for the clubs as they do not get big enough crowds to fill such a stadium let alone pay for the upkeep, and running cost of both enterprises.

Let's face it unless some benefactor who is rich enough to build the stadium then pay for its running cost for a few years before donating it to the council when they can finally afford it, through higher taxation then the dream for a Cornwall Stadium will be realised and with it the whole county may benefit.

Truro and the Pirates would be better off trying to build a stadium of about 5000 seats sharing the cost equally throughout the season, it might just be viable although wont be able to play much flowing football after the rugby boys had churned the pitch up during poor weather.

the credit crunch came later when all those on the GRAVY TRAIN got a bloody nose, therefore, had the Council given approval it is unlikely the Truro City complex would have gone ahead for several years, if at all.

Was the application for a stadium by Truro City a ruse as I'm sure that when the application went in Mr Heaney knew he didn't have the money personally or could raise enough by selling off Treyew Road to fund it.

Was he trying to force the hand of the Council into providing him with a tax payer's funded site?

Guest Luffy

the credit crunch came later when all those on the GRAVY TRAIN got a bloody nose, therefore, had the Council given approval it is unlikely the Truro City complex would have gone ahead for several years, if at all.

Was the application for a stadium by Truro City a ruse as I'm sure that when the application went in Mr Heaney knew he didn't have the money personally or could raise enough by selling off Treyew Road to fund it.

Was he trying to force the hand of the Council into providing him with a tax payer's funded site?

I expect he was looking at the government grant system to help him build such a stadium, he puts in so much, the council put in some more and back the plan and the government meet the rest of the bill. I wonder though if he would have attempted to put a bid in for his company to build such a stadium so to ensure future jobs.

I would like to add as food for thought that where stadiums have been built with Council co-operation in many parts of Britain the facilities are being used for many things, some are used by local health authorities as health clinics, therefore freeing up hospital space, others get used by mother and toddler groups, scouts and guides at some and others used by schools, there have been reports that using football to grab the youngsters interest stimulates them for their lessons.

IMO using the Hall for Cornwall :c: as an example doesn't compare with a modern stadium with multi options to make it pay, during the last war it left a lot to be desired, looking at it now (from the outside) it is still as uninviting as it ever was, is the Hall for Cornwall :c: council run? if it is that could be the reason for the bail outs, no commercial experience, there is a difference using council taxpayers money to having to create the wealth before you spend it.

I was going to add things along those lines...

Thinking again of how Wembley might be considered redundant by the community I know from when I used to live near there that every Sunday there is a huge market in the car park. Its ideas like using the car park for markets/car boots etc to generate money that could help, albeit even small amounts.

Not too long ago I took the wife to see a concert at Home Park. Now Im not sure of the capacity of the stadium, especially when they close off the crappy stand but use the pitch for spectators. However on the day I would say it was slightly less than half full, lets guess at around 12,000 fans. If you had a stadium here of a similar capacity it would be a great option to consider. There are other benefits to the local community (and possibly those further afield). I was chatting to a lady sat next to me who had travelled down from Warwickshire, she and her friend were turning it into a short stay in Cornwall!

But I digress from sporting matters ;)

if the council is forward thinking enough the stadium for cornwall "could have" been used as training facilities for the 2012 olympics. all of the countries coming over could not all train in london because there are not enough facilities.if cornwall had its own stadium we "could have" attracted any number of teams from different sports.just think of the revenue that would have given our county <_< although we are a football website we need to take off our blinkers to make football pay for itself. :c: