Cornwall Football Forum

BERE ALSTON 18S LOOKING FOR NEW HOME

Guest slimjim

This is just another example of clubs being short sighted, surely Bere Alston should be embracing their Under 18 team not throwing them out of the club!!

They are not alone Torpoint did the same to their Under 18's which cost them three managers over two seasons and the latest victims were the Millbrook Youth now playing at St Dominick under the name Speare FC.

Cant understand why senior clubs cant think outside the box and look to develop players who will have an emotional tie to their club not just looking for a wage packet.

Bere Alston Under 18's are a very talented side and would be a great addition to any club who understand the importance of youth football.

Guest keano

SlimJim

I can see your point , but its a recurring theme that this situation only seems to be happening with good u18 teams. What people in under 18 football have to realise is that clubs will not be held to ransome no matter how good the young players are.

The bread and butter for bere alston is first team football I have been told that the players were not prepared to step up or even train with the first team , So what is the point in them being at the club. I think to many of these teams that have half decent players get pumped with so much praise by people they begin to think they are better than they really are and think they can do as they please because clubs wont want to lose them.

In millbrooks case things broke down and there manager decided to take them somewhere else which was fine , not a problem , but we have now got a group of lads and a manager running the new under18's who are willing to co-operate with how i want to run the club. It does not matter how good the new team is or how good the out going team were.

End of the day these lads fall in line with how the managers want to run there clubs or they find another club.

Good on bere alston for standing there ground.

only four players have been asked and that was after season had finished. all these players play at a higher level so could see their point. other players would have played next season for firsts,if asked and who knows once in team may be other team mates playing at higher level would have followed now we will never know.

Wow i'm shocked!! excellant youth team who have done really well this season, very short sighted club in my opinion. Keano does make some interesting points of view and it is difficult for first teams when youngsters dont want to play for them, but its about developing relationships and respect something that is obviously lacking again between both teams as was at millbrook.

All the best to Bere youth and their future, you could try St Dominic as Speare FC arent running any teams next season from there :thumbsup: !!

Guest keano

but its about developing relationships and respect something that is obviously lacking again between both teams as was at millbrook

At the same time disapline is needed as well , you can have these highly charged teenage boys pushing there chest out , doing what they like , if they are at a football club , they should know there place and role at the club !!!!!!

As it appears that my opinion is being sought on the matter...As Bere's 1st team manager I shall put things as I see it:

Just prior to this current season, Bere Alston United were approached by the management of Elm United U16's with regard to running a U18 team at the club.

For the record, Elm United had previously used Bickleigh Barracks in Plymouth for their home games at U16 level, but would not have been allowed to use these facilities for a U18 side and therefore had knowhere to play.

I felt that having a youth side (i.e. U18's) at Bere Alston would be a good move for the club, providing Elm changed there name and were not just using the club for somewhere to play their home games.

It was agreed that Elm would become Bere Alston United U18's and that Paul Andrews would also take over the Bere Alston 2nd team with a view to players coming through from the U18's and onto the 1st team.

Historically, Bere Alston had always used their home ground for pre season training until such time that they transferred to Kelly College in mid October.

However withinn three weeks of the beginning of pre season training the 2nd team squad and U18's, who, with the exception of one u18 lad and three 2nd team players were all Plymouth based, began training in Plymouth and this continued throughout the season to the point where the three local 2nd team players trained continually with the 1st team.

By the time the season began all of the 1st team squad had also signed for the 2nd team but hardly any from the 2nd team had done likewise.

As the season progressed it became clear that although Paul was doing a very good job with both the 2nd team and the U18's, there was a great divide between them and the 1st team lads with hardly any of the 2nd team players being willing to play for the 1st team.

There was one particular occasion when the 2nd team were playing near Newquay and as all the Plymouth based players were going via the Tamar Bridge and one lad from Bere Alston couldn't get into Plymouth to get a lift..he was dropped.

the 1st had used one or two in the early games and one particular lad who played for the 1sts at Liskeard then declined to play or train with the us afterwards because his mates were in the 2nd team.

Up until Christmas, because of work commitments I had only managed to watch the U18's on two occasions and although it was clear from their performances, they were good players, it was difficult to judge how they would cope at a higher level based on watching them play against lesser sides in the U18 divsion, especially as they didn't train with the 1st team.

Furthermore, as Bere's 1st team were struggling to adjust to their first season in the ECPL Premier Divsion I felt it wasn't the right time to introduce any of the 16 y o lads into that situation.

When you also consider that as younger U18's during the season they had played older U18's (namely Elburton Villa and Speare FC) on six occasions and despite matching them technically had been by and large out muscled, winning only one and losing four I felt they may strugle to adapt to senior football..However, as Paul states we will never know.

Since January however the 1st team went on a run of one defeat (to Torpoint) in their last thirteen games and I kept faith with those lads that had turned our season around and only used those players for the remainder of the season with the exception of two new signings (Dan Pethick from Callington's SWPL side and young Warren Daw who had just been released from Argyle's Centre of Excellence).

With hindsight I could have looked at one or two of the U18 players in those remaining games, however the one's I was interested in were already connected or playing with SWPL clubs on Saturdays, with the exception of one lad who has expressed an interest in stepping up to our 1st team squad next season.

By the same token, I had one 17 year old lad who played for the 1st team all season and in my opinion is a better player than all but two of the u18's and at no time was he approched to play for the U18's throughout the season despite being watched on numerous occasions.

As stated by Paul Andrew in an earlier post, four of the U18's have been approached with reagrd to joining the 1st team squad next season and all have declined. One particular lad actually plays for Liskeard 2nd team in the same division as Bere Alston and despite playing for our U18 side could have ended up playing against us at senior level.

With regard to next season Bere Alston's decision to drop the U18's was based on the follwing reason's:

Paul Andrews and the U18 management, have no further ties with Elm United and as such there will not be any further youth players coming through into Bere Alston.

Paul's intention was to run the U18's for one more season and then the team would disband with a few staying with Bere Alston's 2nd team and the one or two previously mentioned becoming part of the 1st team squad.

Paul also felt that he couldn't foresee the Plymouth based 2nd team players and possibly the U18's coming out to Tavistock to train every week and therefore this problem would have continued into next season.

During this current season the U18's had replaced the 2nd team in the Launceston Cup and in these one off ties against Duchy sides had done well to get to the final only to lose out 1-0 to Gunnislake (AET).

As such it was suggested that those U18's that wanted to play for Bere Alston and hopefully progress within the club could form the basis of next season 2nd team in Duchy Two with those Plymouth based players who were still prepared to travel, on the understanding that they would have to train on a weekly basis with the 1st team in Bere Alston and Tavistock.

This would show a greater commitment to Bere Alston as a club and not just to the U18 team, would show which players could cope with Adult football on a weekly basis with a view to progressing into the 1st team squad and would also save the club a huge amount in terms of finances and wear and tear on the pitch.

Paul was not prepared to accept those terms and as such the commitee then decided against running a U18 team for a second (and final) season.

A long read maybe, but hopefully it will clarify the clubs stand point with reagrd to this matter.

KEANO, WHEN WILL YOU STOP GOING ON ABOUT UNDER 18'S - YOUR 'OLD' (SUCCESSFUL) UNDER 18 TEAM WAS ONE THE KEY REASON WHY YOU GOT THE JOB AS MANAGER AT MILLBROOK THAT AND HOT AIR - THE LEAGUE DOESN'T LIE; AND YOUR VICTORIAN ETHICS SHOWS HOW COMPLETELY SHORT SIGHTED YOU ARE.. IF YOU WERE ANYTHING OF A MANGER YOU WOULD HAVE MANAGERIAL SKILLS AND INSTEAD OF KNOCKING YOUNG PLAYERS; SOME WHO MAY APPEAR TO HAVE A FALSE CONFIDENCE, TRY COMPROMISE AND BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS SO PLAYERS WILL WANT TO PLAY FOR YOU - AND NO - NONE OF MY PLAYERS WILL SIGN FOR YOU OR WANT TO LISTEN TO YOUR 'NEW PLAN.'

IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ME OR ABOUT MY PLAYERS PLEASE CALL ME AND WE CAN CONSULT !

Guest keano

IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO SAY TO ME OR ABOUT MY PLAYERS PLEASE CALL ME AND WE CAN CONSULT !

wez

it appears your the one who has something to say, shame you couldnt have picked the phone up though ,perhaps you need to listen to your own advise . thought you had more class than you have displayed in this public attack. if you want talk by all means call,in regards to your player ,a text was sent to him by mistake as i hadnt removed his number from a group in my phone book ,so he recieved a group text not one specifiy for him , we were talking at a match afew weeks back and he told me he is going liskeard. so there would be no point following up any interest, therefore text not meant for him .

like i said bit disapointed you felt the need to have ago publicly as didnt think that was your style , feel free to pick the phone up any time if you want to have constructive discussion

and good luck to robbie at liskeard!!!!!!!

just shows how much ist team manager knows about under 18s we beat spear once and drew with elburton losing other two. and as said before no player from second team were asked about playing for ists, let alone sign for them. As for training 18s would have gone to tavistock this coming season to train, and as many of 2nd team as i could get there.My plan was two seasons at 18s with 2nd team by than in duchy 1st.

Devon Cup

Elburton Villa 5 Bere Alston 0

League Cup

Elburton Villa 4 Bere Alston 1

League

Bere Alston 2 Spear F C 1

Spear F C 2 Bere Alston 0

Bere Alston 0 Elburton Villa 0

Elburton Villa 4 Bere Alston 2

Don't want to argue but that makes

Played 6, won 1, drew 1, lost 4 as I said in my post.

Guest fromacrossthewater

Handbags at dawn!!!!!

Seems to me that Paul Andrews has done pretty well taking on 2 teams.. In my opinion it is the first team manager who should have sat down with bere alston as a club and said what he wanted, ie players playinf for both 1sts and 2nds. You will always get youngsters wanting to play with their mates but by the sounds of it, it could have been handled differently by the senior management of the club.

Correct me if i'm wrong but Millbrook seem to be popping up on posts all over the place and usually in a bad light!!

elburton 3 Bere 0 need i say any more. at end of day i started this looking for a club that would be interested in taking in a team and managers. Did not want to get into slanging match. Bere 18s have lost to elburton and spear this season but boys did well in all but one of the games playing against boys 12 months older which at this age makes all the differance

3-0 cause Devon FA posted incorrect score.

May I say, Bere Alston 18s have by far been our best opponants this season. For a team so young in this age group they have impressed Wez and myself no ends and trust me results vs Elburton Villa could have been much closer if it wasnt for outstanding keeper performances on the day! Bere Alston are a very skilled footballing side and this group can only improve! Yes this may be their last year together at youth level but any senior manager would be able to see that there are some little gems to pick out and add to their squad for the future!

Any club who take these lads and management on will not be sorry at the decision made!

All the best to Paul and his lads & we hope to be seeing you on the pitch next season whatever happens.

KEANO,

SINCE YOU WERE UNABLE TO CALL ME I WILL RESPOND VERY BRIEFLY IN THE HOPE THIS WILL BE AN END TO IT:

I DID HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY TO YOU AND SAID IT, IF YOU TOOK THIS TO HEART MY APOLOGIES AS I AM AWARE YOU ARE VERY DEFENSIVE WHEN IT COMES TO MANAGERIAL MATTERS BUT TO CLARIFY THIS POINT THE NUMBER OF POSTS ON THIS SITE WILL INDICATE HOW OFTEN YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY !

I ALSO SPOKE TO YOU MID SEASON AND YOU APOLOGISED TO ME FOR THE MISTAKE YOU MADE REGARDING A PLAYER NAMED IN THE MILLBROOK SQUAD WHEN HE WAS PLAYING FOR ME ON THE SAME DAY; YOU SAID THE REPORTER HAD MISUNDERSTOOD YOU - DESPITE THE WRITE UP STATING THAT HE WAS 'MAKING HIS DEBUT !' SAY NO MORE.

AS FOR ROCKET AND LISKEARD, I READ THE TEXT AND IT WAS SENT TO THE SPECIFIC PLAYER, IF YOU HAD REALISED YOUR MISTAKE WHY NOT APPLOGISE TO THE PLAYER DIRECT, NO NEED TO RESPOND. !

INCIDENTALLY, I WILL ALWAYS ACCEPT PLAYERS MOVING ON TO BETTER THINGS; AS MANAGERS THIS IS WHAT WE WANT FOR DEVELOPING/TALENTED PLAYERS EVEN IF WE HAVE SOME REGRET; I HAVE A NUMBER OF PLAYERS WHO HAVE GONE ON INCLUDING U18's - SOME OF WHOM HAVE MADE MASSIVE IMPACT INTO MY RESERVES AND WE TAKE GREAT SATISFACTION FROM THIS TRANSITION.

ITS FAIR TO SAY I WOULDNT NORMALLY COMMENT IN SUCH A NEGATIVE WAY BUT FELT SOME RESPONSIBILITY TO RESPOND TO YOUR COMMENTS, AGAIN, REGARDING 18's. YOUR TYPE OF RESPONSE

SHOWS AN INSECURITY WITH A 'DO AS I SAY' ATTITUDE AND ATTEMPTS TO MICRO MANAGE WILL CAUSE NO END OF PROBLEMS - IT REFLECTS A LACK OF UNDERSTANDING, KNOWLEDGE AND TRUST!

SO TO CONCLUDE, ITS NOT JUST PLAYERS WHO DEVELOP, MANAGERS/COACHES DEVELOP AS WELL - AND I WOULD RECCOMMEND COACHING LEVELS 1/2/3 FOR ANY ONE WITH FOOTBALL INTEREST - IF YOU SHOULD NEED ANY ADVISE OR SUPPORT WITH TOPICS OR PLAYERS I WILL ALWAYS FIND TIME FOR YOU.

I WISH YOU, WHEREVER YOU ARE MANAGING, AND MILLBROOK ALL THE VERY BEST FOR NEXT SEASON, GOOD LUCK.

PAUL, (BERE)

WOULDN'T OF KNOWN THESE LADS WERE A YEAR YOUNGER IN ANY GAMES AS THEY HAVE SHOWN GREAT MATURITY, GOOD SET OF LADS AT BERE HOPE SOMETHING COMES ALONG FOR YOU ALL. SHOULD ATTEMPTS FAIL I WOULD BE DELIGHTED TO HAVE ANY LADS COME ALONG TO VILLA U18'S IF INTERESTED.

Guest keano

SINCE YOU WERE UNABLE TO CALL ME I WILL RESPOND VERY BRIEFLY IN THE HOPE THIS WILL BE AN END TO IT:

Why would i have called you wez???

I had nothing to say , It was you that opened communication via this public domain so i assumed you would rather discuss matters on here , like i said you were the one with something to say , so if you want to talk you can ring me , I am not defensive what so ever if i learnt anything in my first season it was that people will talk and people will have a pop , and best thing to do is let it go over your head.

As for the text , how can you claim it was specific to the player when it does not even mention his name ??

as for your other advice , thanks!!

WELL IF YOUR USING CAPS SO WILL I

LETS JUST REMEMBER AS A MANAGER IT IS YOUR DECISION TO MAKE WHETHER A PLAYER CAN BE BETTER THAN THE TEAM YOU ALREADY GOT, NOT LET THE PLAYER TELL YOU WHEN HE'S RIGHT, THAT IS WHY THE CLUBS HAVE A DISCLIPINE POLICY IN PLACE.

TAKE PAUL WOTTON FOR EXAMPLE. HE STARTED HIS YOUTH AS BOOT CLEANER AT ARGYLE AND NOW LOOK AT HIM CHAMPIONSHIP, LEAGUE ONE PLAYER.

BUT IT TOOK SEVERAL YEARS FOR HIS DEVELOPMENT SO WHAT KEANO IS SAYING IS SPOT ON, PLAYERS AT A YOUNG AGE WHO THINK THEY ARE BETTER GO AND FIND ANOTHER CLUB, BECAUSE IT IS ALL ABOUT BUILDING YOURSELF, AS WELL AS YOUR OWN MANAGERIAL CAREER AND IF YOUR A MANAGER WHO LETS ANY PLAYER COME IN WHEN THE TIMING IS WRONG IS GONNA PUT THE FIRST TEAMERS IN A SITUATION WHERE THEY ARE GONNA LEAVE BECAUSE OF YOUR STYLE.

FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD AS WELL, BETWEEN MR BUNNEY AND THE OTHER MANAGER ON HERE STANDS AT BUNNEY WINNING TWICE AND THE OTHER MANAGER WINNING 0 AT YOUTH LEVEL, SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ABOUT MR BUNNEY'S MANAGEMENT. YES THE LEAGUE TABLE DOESNT LIE BUT THIS IS PENINSULA FOOTBALL NOT EC.

As a player who could be playing under 18 football i made the mistake of going straight in to mens football, i think its good that under 18s sides are in place for players to step up to mens football, and any team that embraces there youth team are making a great decision.

Bere 18s have lost to elburton and spear this season but boys did well in all but one of the games playing against boys 12 months older which at this age makes all the differance

By Paul's own admission, the main difference between Bere's very talented U18 squad and those of Elburton Villa and Speare FC was that they were all by and large one year older.

I have no doubt that technically and in terms of fitness, effort, work rate and commitment they (Bere Alston) were a match or indeed better than both these sides, but may have come up slightly short physically, hence my reluctance in the first half of the season to put these lads in a 1st team squad that were struggling to find their feet in their first season in the ECPL Premier Division, especially when you also consider that one or two of the more experienced (and better) first team players like Will Westlake, Darren Smalley and Lee Howells were either injured or suspended.

I, like Paul do not wish to use this forum for any sort of slanging match as that is uncharacteristic of me as a person and as such I would like to apologise to Paul for any comments he may have taken offence to.

Bere Alston has been my first managerial position at Senior level and I am still learning and have undoubtedly made mistakes in my first 18 months in charge, but having gained promotion from ECPL Div One and finished a creditable 5th in our first season in the Premier Division (especially after our poor start), I think things have overall been okay.

In terms of the U18's I will admit that I haven't watched these players enough over the course of last season, largely due to work commitments up until Christmas.

However, I knew of a few of these players and their undoubted ability prior to them coming to Bere Alston and was constantly kept in the picture by the other members of the senior management at the club.

I have stated previously that with hindsight I could have included one or two of the U18's with the 1st team towards the end of the season, but at that time the 1st team were on a very good run of form, and the u18's were themselves concentrating on a title race and competing in the Launceston Cup.

Furthermore, three of the four players of main interest were already involved regularly with other SWPL clubs.

Personally, I have always thought it is important to have a healthy amount of youth involved at Senior level, but such is the nature of the ECPL in terms of it's physicality and the amount of travelling etc, the amount of youth players has to be treated in moderation.

During the course of the season, the 1st team has used:

Marcus Pethick (recently 18)...played in 29 of 31 games (starting 17) and scoring 4 times

Marcus was never used once by the U18's but has since been accepted into Torquay United's Development Program for next season.

Matt Whitson (recently 18)...Played 12 games (starting 6) and was an unused sub on 5 other occasions.

Matt also spent the season with Speare FC's U18's

Dan Pethick (19), signed from Callington Town (SWPL) in January, who despite a five game suspension played 9 times and scored 6

Warren Daw (16), was released from Plymouth Argyle's Centre of Excellence and had been recommended to me after playing for Eggbuckland CC in the Devon Wednesday League.

Warren started our last five games alongside Will Westlake in CM and was never on the losing side.

Ben Gascoigne was also used fleetingly at the begining of the season

So to balance opinion, it is clear that we have used youth players to a degree this season, but I can also understand Paul's frustration that none of the current U18's were used and that the Bere Alston Committee have decided not to continue with the U18's next season.

The 2nd team and U18's training seperately in Plymouth was indeeda mistake, but it was the intention of the club for all teams to train together from next season and for the U18's to be looked at during pre-season with a view to joining the 1st team ranks.

The suggestion that the current U18's merge with the 2nd team in Duchy Two next season was also a good idea and one that I believe is still on the table.

That being said, I would like to draw a veil over the situation by wishing Paul and the U18's all the best....Wherever that may be.

KEANO

JUST A QUICK REPLY; YES THE TEXT WAS SENT WITH PLAYERS NAME, BUT I AM SURE YOU JUST MADE A MISTAKE - YOU DID CALL ME AND YOU KNOW WHY AND SO WE WILL SAY NO MORE ABOUT IT BUT PLEASE DONT TAR EVERY YOUNGSTER WITH THE SAME BRUSH HENCE MY COMMENTS.

THATS 3 -0 NOW SCALLYMIKE, AND CAPS ON CAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE SHORT SIGHTED!

Guest Dane Bunney

KEANO

JUST A QUICK REPLY; YES THE TEXT WAS SENT WITH PLAYERS NAME, BUT I AM SURE YOU JUST MADE A MISTAKE - YOU DID CALL ME AND YOU KNOW WHY AND SO WE WILL SAY NO MORE ABOUT IT BUT PLEASE DONT TAR EVERY YOUNGSTER WITH THE SAME BRUSH HENCE MY COMMENTS.

Wez you are talking total rubbish ,

dunno what game it is your playing, I know the text didnt have a name in cause i checked it when i saw your post earlyer today. And i have spoke to you a few times during the season , im not denying that , but i have no reason to ring you at all this week and by the looks of it in the future either .

i dont hang off your everyword enough to tar anyone with any brush

glad we had this talk ,

good luck next season ! and well done for this !

AND CAPS ON CAUSE SOME PEOPLE ARE SHORT SIGHTED

What you mean short sighted enough to judge on one season ????? thats what you must be talking about there !!!!!!!

Coach KT your comments are very valid. It is wrong for a team to attach themselves to a club and then not fully support them by attending training in the club ground / agreed training ground.

Paul Andrews is clearly doing a superb job running 2 teams, but has to ask himself why he is acting as a mercenary with a group of u-18 players?

Football is a simple game. The best players / teams rise to the top. If you put in the commitment (attend training etc) you will play the correct level of football your skill deserves (as shown by Coach KT's comment on Marcus Pethick).

A team shouldn't be moving around from club to club, regardless of situation, as football is a community game and there should be feeling behind who you represent.

Guest fraz

In millbrooks case things broke down and there manager decided to take them somewhere else which was fine , not a problem , but we have now got a group of lads and a manager running the new under18's who are willing to co-operate with how i want to run the club. It does not matter how good the new team is or how good the out going team were.

Torpoint u18s?

shout out!

Guest tiger woods

i think it is a real shame, personally after seeing bere this year i would have thought alot of clubs would have wanted to snatch them up....very talented group of individuals!

in my opinion reffering to the manager comments on here, if you have respect for your players then they to will respect you! i heard that was the problem down at millbrook? maybe im wrong?

i do think mens sides should look far more into development of young players cus i thoughorly believe there are alot of youngsters that could definatly play in the likes of ecl1 or at a push even the ecpl.

please correct me if im wrong but doesnt Chris thurkkettle, james pearce (elburton u18s) and Ryan Hammond and lewis young (speare) all play successfully at mens? i think if you give these the opotunity then they will prove that they are good enough.

Good luck with finding a new club bere !

totally agree with your logic and they are players that have done it the right way. in my context players cannot expect to be better than the first team however much they want it and thats what upsets teams and players leave is managers who are in a position to just let players in without proper thinking and more players should be given the chance thats why we have pre season. i think if you have a decent enough manager at the lower levels to provide expert advice on players then great but if not then its down to the clubs policy as to whether the future of the player fits in.

A very interesting set of postings.

I think there are two points to be extracted from them. The first being the youth team managers and the second senior club managers. Many of these youth team managers managers have grown with the youngsters sometimes going back to when they were playing under 10’s football. This means as far as the managers are concerned all they want is for their lads to play football and they would go anywhere to do it. It also means that if there is no senior club for the players to go to then what happens next. Latching on to a senior club is fine but unfortunately the managers tend to be very single minded and don’t like being told that their players are or are not good enough to progress. That unfortunately is life. My brother in law managed one of the most successful youth teams in Plymouth but he knew that once they ‘became of age’ his role was over. These players were moving on to Plymouth Argyle and many other senior clubs.

To a certain extent the managers are a victim of their own success but they must know when to stand aside and not try to influence the very impressionable youngsters in their care.

The second point is the clubs these teams are attached to. The senior club managers role is to field the best team possible. If you think of it how can he accommodate all these youngsters as a large number of them are already playing for senior clubs on a Saturday anyway, so it is obvious they are not going to become to involved with his senior team. My only qualm is that many of the managers of senior teams never see what is coming through and tend to look down on these youngsters instead of taking an active interest in their progress. It is obvious that some youth teams latch on to a senior club and their facilities simply to prolong their managers own careers and to keep their team together.

There is always two sides to any argument and it is difficult sometimes to see the wood from the trees. Mistakes are made on both sides. In my opinion managers of Youth teams must know when their players become of age they have to learn to step aside for the benefit of the players, not them. Likewise a manager of a senior club must – for the benefit of his club take an interest in the clubs youth team players even if the youth team have only borrowed their name for purely self interests.