Cornwall Football Forum

PENZANCE ARE CHAMPIONS

Taken from the SWPL WEBSITE

MATCH REPORTS FROM ALL THE GAMES

Tuesday 5th May

Premier Division : Saltash United retain a chance of securing runners-up in the Premier division after a late leveller gave them a 2-2 draw at home to St Blazey at Kimberlery Stadium tonight. The draw means that if they win their final two games, and improve their goal difference by 6 in the process they can still finish 2nd. Launceston won 4-2 away at Cullompton Rangers in their final game of the season with the 3 points ensuring that the Clarets will finish in 10th spot and that should be enough for FA Cup entry next season. Liskeard Athletic and Clyst Rovers both finished their season at Lux Park with honours even from a 1-1 draw.

Division 1 East : The Royal Marines completed their season and secured 7th place by drawing 1-1 at home to Axminster Town. Richard Spiller gave the visitors a 9th minute lead but Shaun Foster headed the Commandos level 20 minutes into the 2nd half. The draw was enough for the Tigers to climb a place to 8th in the table.

Division 1 West : Newquay's hopes of winning the Western Title were ended tonight after the Peppermints lost 0-2 away at Truro City Reserves and they can no longer overtake long time leaders Penzance. In fact even Runners-Up place may require some more work as St Austell who currently sit in 3rd could overtake the Mount Wise club with a win at Vospers on Wednesday night. St Austell would appear to still have a mathematical chance of catching Penzance but with no decision due on their abandoned game last week at Callington and the season due to end on Saturday they are not going to be able to overtake the Magpies who will be presented with the Cup on Saturday after their final game of the season at Callington.

Guest The Judge aka RED OR DEAD

Division 1 West : Newquay's hopes of winning the Western Title were ended tonight after the Peppermints lost 0-2 away at Truro City Reserves and they can no longer overtake long time leaders Penzance. In fact even Runners-Up place may require some more work as St Austell who currently sit in 3rd could overtake the Mount Wise club with a win at Vospers on Wednesday night. St Austell would appear to still have a mathematical chance of catching Penzance but with no decision due on their abandoned game last week at Callington and the season due to end on Saturday they are not going to be able to overtake the Magpies who will be presented with the Cup on Saturday after their final game of the season at Callington.

I was going to post on the other thread but certain idiots have already ruined that one, which I have now deleted. Anyway, well done to PZ, they deserve to win the league, something Newquay only really had dreams of and it was never in our own hands to do so. Still we have had one hell of a ride and cannot wait until next season when it starts all over again.

Tonight, the fans who gathered in good numbers (65) but not the 100 we had hoped for were just as nervous as the players looked. Awful pitch, awful officials, awful match to watch. Truro deserved to win on the night as they pushed, challenged and never gave the Newquay boys any chance to settle on the ball. The 2nd goal was so far offside when the lad was put through, he could have paid the officials £1 to get back into Devon. Sammy Mac got a straight Red for no doubt repeating to the ref what the Newquay fans were saying. Absolutely gutted that it ended tonight rather than Saturday but proud as hell for Jimbo and the Players who have given 100% this season... party night down at Millbrook to send the boys off on the summer break with our cheers ringing in their ears.

Well done to all at Penlee and Mount Wise for making the end of season a good one !

Assuming they got the ground grading, nothing official until the SWPL board meeting this Thurs night but I can't see anything wrong with Penlee as a ground, unless they don't have the hard standing/seats on 3 sides. Newquay passed, St Austell didn't and Cally withdrew as far as I'm aware. Don't know about the East Div.

If Newquay end up 2nd or even 3rd depending on St Austell away at Vospers and Newquay away at Millbrook, then you still won't find a Newquay fan who is not happy with the way things have gone this season.

Both PZ and Newquay would do the Prem Div proud.

Guest keano

Judge can we still expect a decent following on friday up at millbrook , or will the numbers have gone down now ????

Congratulations to Penzance,we gave it our best go but it was not to be tonight.

Truro have a very good young squad who chased every ball as if their life depended on it,we werew not helped by the 3 most useless officials I have seen in a long time.

As a Newquay supporter I would like to congratulate the boys on a great season you have done the club proud.

What has happened to the Truro v Newquay match thread...???

I last posted about an hour ago and at that point it it contained interesting and informative comments from persons present at the game - all perfectly proper and well considered views - now the thread has gone...!!!

WHY - has someone been an idiot - again - and ruined a good exchange of views and comments from the match...???

Why cannot some people keep within the bounds of decency and common sense..??

Judge can we still expect a decent following on friday up at millbrook , or will the numbers have gone down now ????

I should imagine 25-30 will still go, I've had requests to pick up fans at Fraddon and Indian Queens on the way and have had to point others in the direction of fans who may have to leave later and hope the Glynn Valley is not Jammed.

Word around Treyew Rd was, that Friday is Party Night, celebrate a fantastic season and give the lads a great send off for the summer. I will be drumming up us much support as possible. One thing for certain, we will be decorating the stand this year and won't take no for answer :c::c::c::c::c::c:

Looking forward to meeting up again Dane and Callymike is definately a Peppermint, he has the shirt to prove it. He got the train to Truro tonight, perhaps Newquay will have both Linos on Friday :D

I was going to post on the other thread but certain idiots have already ruined that one, which I have now deleted. Anyway, well done to PZ, they deserve to win the league, something Newquay only really had dreams of and it was never in our own hands to do so. Still we have had one hell of a ride and cannot wait until next season when it starts all over again.

Tonight, the fans who gathered in good numbers (65) but not the 100 we had hoped for were just as nervous as the players looked. Awful pitch, awful officials, awful match to watch. Truro deserved to win on the night as they pushed, challenged and never gave the Newquay boys any chance to settle on the ball. The 2nd goal was so far offside when the lad was put through, he could have paid the officials £1 to get back into Devon. Sammy Mac got a straight Red for no doubt repeating to the ref what the Newquay fans were saying. Absolutely gutted that it ended tonight rather than Saturday but proud as hell for Jimbo and the Players who have given 100% this season... party night down at Millbrook to send the boys off on the summer break with our cheers ringing in their ears.

Well done to all at Penlee and Mount Wise for making the end of season a good one !

So kicking a player while he stands over a free kick were what you're fans were doing for the red card?

:thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup:

I hope you do go up because your players are a really nice and good set of players, just be nice for you to stay down, 6 points guaranteed this season.

And for the record, we actually had 3 third team players in the squad, 1 that started before you make any first team gestures.

What has happened to the Truro v Newquay match thread...???

I last posted about an hour ago and at that point it it contained interesting and informative comments from persons present at the game - all perfectly proper and well considered views - now the thread has gone...!!!

WHY - has someone been an idiot - again - and ruined a good exchange of views and comments from the match...???

Why cannot some people keep within the bounds of decency and common sense..??

Sorry, my fault. I deleted it due to the St Awful nonsense being posted, feel free to post again on this more sensible thread.

So kicking a player while he stands over a free kick were what you're fans were doing for the red card?

If that was the case, then fair enough. No Newquay fan saw that as there were many players in the way, everyone thought it was for gobbing off at the ref.

No-one has mentioned your 1st team, don't be so defensive. Saw Sabo on Sat and thought he was class, did well again tonight. Truro desrved the win, no arguments from us. Oh and if you are the keeper, then well done, you pulled off 3 superb saves that any keeper would have been proud of.

Congratulations to all at Penzance, We did our best to make a chase of it but it just seemed to be one game to many. No one can complain over the course of the season you have come away with the most points so sit correctly at the top of the table.

Well done to Truro did nothing pretty on the night and got the result that ended our chances. Jasa there are no complaints from any of the players about Maccas red card, even he accepts he should of gone. Was out of character for him but shows how much we are gutted to have seen our slim title chance slide. Not an excuse though.

Thanks on behalf of the players for the fantastic support we have had this season, it really has influenced the desire and will to win we have shown to get into this position, we are gutted we could not give everyone a great day at callington on sat.

Heres to a great season for the SWPL West. Roll on next season.

Ashley Bradshaw :smiley20:

OK Judge - noted,

Truro have a great young squad and next season, if they all keep together - could be challenging for a top 4 spot.

Overall a good match tonight - Newquay could have had a couple of goals but Jasa denied them with some good goalkeeping - likewise at the other end as well - the full-stretch save by the Newquay keeper in the 2nd half was just turned past the post by a whisker.

I know the Newquay Fans had some issues with the linesman - but I thought the Ref had a good game - and overulled the linesman on more than one occasion [quite rightly from my viewpoint].

Shame you all [Newquay Fans] went so quickly after the match and missed the free sandwiches and cake on offer in the clubhouse.

Anyway - a good evenings football - more entertaining than that on offer on ITV.

Here's to next season..!

Guest keano

Looking forward to meeting up again Dane and Callymike is definately a Peppermint, he has the shirt to prove it. He got the train to Truro tonight, perhaps Newquay will have both Linos on Friday

I know he was there , he wont be wearing that shirt on friday i can assure you ,

see you on friday

Shame you all [Newquay Fans] went so quickly after the match and missed the free sandwiches and cake on offer in the clubhouse.

Some took Mr Heaneys offer of cakes at HT, and was appreciated by those who took him up on his kind gesture. Apologies for not staying after but we had 20 in the bar from 6.35pm, but felt that we needed to either head home or drown our sorrows back at Mount Wise rather than be miserable at Truro. I'm on a pint of scotch and coke as I sit here in Judge Towers feeling crap but still looking forward to Friday !

Well done to Trevor and all at Penzance. The League table never lies and the most consistent team has deservedly won the League.

We have had a great journey this year and it has been a thoroughly enjoyable and entertaininig season. We are looking forward to Millbrook on Friday as we wish to end the season on a high. That's not taking Millbrook lightly as they will be trying to win to avoid finishing bottom. I expect a real tough match.

Well done also to Truro they rightly deserved their victory today. They all worked really hard for each other and scored at important times in the game.

Finally I would like to say well done to all the players at Newquay you have been a credit to the club and I am sure we will have a positive response like we have done on other ocassions this year.

JIM

Finally I would like to say well done to all the players at Newquay you have been a credit to the club and I am sure we will have a positive response like we have done on other ocassions this year.

JIM

3 points on friday to guarantee 2nd spot, who would have thought that last November ? Proud to be a Peppermint !

All Newquay fans reading this should get down to Millbrook and give the boys a right royal send off for the summer. Party night at Millbrook for the Newquay Loyal, lets celebrate the season we have enjoyed ! Once again, thanks to Jim and the players for bringing us much joy... as Vinny said "It's been emotional"

Unlucky lads, one game too far on the night but a great season. Im just going to say that I thought the ref actually had a good game tonight, he totally chose to ignore a lot of the comments aimed his way which I thought was quite commendable. The ref in the Penzance game seemed to take everything to heart and dished out a lot of cards for players speaking out of turn. The sending off was correct as well and Im sure Macka may regret it with hindsight but I would take a team of Macka's over a team of slackers any day of the week (thats not a dig at the players who have all been immense this year ;) ).

yes i was there donned in red and white for their final game of the season, i hope to get a shirt from every team if possible just for a collection of memorabilia. heres my match report of the game and if mike sampson is on here then give me an email if you want me to write for your pubs haha.

Newquay started the game strongest in the first ten minutes they could have been 3 goals to the good in their quest for promotion, but more importantly the honour in being champions of the west division.

After 2 minutes a header by Paul Robertson was no trouble for Truro keeper Jason Peters after good work by Chris Luxton on the right wing and his cross. 3 minutes later Luxton was at it again, causing the Truro defence to back away before delivering a superb ball into the box but was cleared away by Truro. Scott Palmer was then the architect of the next move, collecting a long ball by Luxton, but Truro's young central defender and my man of the match Mamay Sabo (sorry if first name is incorrect), played the best way possible, forcing a Newquay corner.

Newquay continued to build on chance after chance and another corner this time taken by Jake Hartigan was cleard for a second corner, but Newquay could not break the deadlock.

8 minutes gone and the first stoppage of play, a head injury to newquay centre back Chris James, who came off worse from an aerial challenge with Rob Dunn.

On 10 minutes Newquay again awarded a corner, this time in controversial fashion, the assistant referee from Plymouth, judging the ball had come off a Newquay player and awarding a goal-kick, the referee standing by his decision with a smile, awarding a corner but it wouldnt have mattered as the corner came to nothing.

After the corner Truro had finally woken up and began the game, and got forward a lot and created chances, on occasions, causing the Newquay defence plenty of problems and gaps with their fast, pacy young forwards. From open play, Tom Ball, who was once rejected a move to Truro, was the goalscoring hero, having scored 8 in his last 13 appearances, attempted a lob from 20 yards, but Newquay keeper Matt Armstrong-Ford had nothing to worry about. After 25 minutes Newquay were looking more nervous and never fought back, knowing that a win could move them closer to the title.

Paul Robertson had the next chance to set something up for newquay, paul hampshire playing the ball to his feet, and with his back to goal, truro had every one of their men back to defend whilst newquay were stood ragged on the edge of the box, with no one in a decent place to strike the ball.

Newquay were then awarded a free kick on 28 minutes after good work by Paul Hampshire, he set the ball up nicely wide right for Scott Palmer but he was brought down very unprofessionally by full back the truro left back (think it was andy van evellingen, and he had to be careful for the remainder of the game, but again newquay's next chance went begging, with the ball easily collected in mid air by Peters.

Luke Rigby then tried his attempt at a lob shot after a corner by Scott Palmer, was cleated to Rigby's path who sliced his chance high and wide. News Balls Please!!!!

On 34 minutes Truro should have taken the lead. A well timed through ball by Tom Bull found Richie Rundle onside and he only had the goalkeeper to beat but his first touch let him down and the ball, which would have beaten the defence as well as the keeper, went wide and out for a corner, after a deflection.

5 mintues before half time though, there was a goal and a good one too. From a resulting Newquay corner, Truro broke free and left 3 on 4 beyhond the half way line. Tom Ball ran 20 yards before a lay off pass to Richie Runle, and he slid inside full back Ashley Bradshaw. Rundle then passed inside to Tom Ball who shot low and hard past Armstrong-Ford for 1-0. It remained 1 nil for the last 5 minutes with Newquay never looking like scoring all evening. Truro could have scored a second a minute before the break, again in the same style as the goal, except Rundles curling shot, well saved and out for a corner by Armstrong-Ford.

Second half, both sides sharing chances at either end but not scoring anymore. Newquay perhaps the more uncomfortable; a goal down, and lacking that little bit of passion that took them through the win against Penzance.

But the first ten minutes it was Newquay who had the chances. Paul Robertson, so clinical and consistent since moving to Newquay, unable to find the net all game, how frustrating for him.

On 59 minutes Truro had the next decent shot on goal, Rob Dunn shooting from 8 yards out after a corner was not cleared, but it went wide.

2 minutes later Newquay nearlly scored an equaliser. Shaun Middleton, carried the ball forward 15 yards to the edge of the penalty area, and drove a shot forcefully low and straight at goalkeeper Peters, and the young keeper spilled the save, the ball going between his legs, but he did enough to ensure the recovery stopped the ball going over the goal-line.

Then a second goal for Truro, on 69 minutes. A through ball by Joe McQuade sent Richie Rundle clean through, maybe a suspicion of offside from the Newquay supporters, but the referee played on. Rundle took the ball round the oncoming Ford, beat the keeper and then cut the ball back to Tom Ball who slid in the second from 3 yards out. Newquay definitely deflated and conceding defeat.

77 minutes had passed and the referee had no hesitation with his next decision. After awarding a free kick to Truro, from my view was a freekick for a push by defender macca, he was sent off. The reason for as other supporters haved stated; it was either a few spoken words of reaction, a kick out at the player when on the ground, or for not withstanding the ten yard rule. No major reaction from the players nor the management of Newquay, so play goes on. 3 minutes later another booking, this time for substitute Luke Weldhen for dissent.

With nothing more than just tiredness and Truro playing a very good defensive game, everyone of the supporters were really tired and conceded defeat but could not fault the players for their efforts. As for Truro City Reserves a great result against another top side and better luck for them next season.

MIKE ROBERTS, CALLYMIKE

Guest Cornishdave1980

I assuming that the anouncement on the SWPL site means that they have made a decision on the St Austell farce from last week......otherwise unless im mistaken the league is not over?????????

Well done to both Penzance and Newquay for a great race

Guest Man on the Post

Truro seconds are a very talented side. I believe that when they beat St. Austell a few weeks ago not one player was over 21. They have had some tremendous results this season, doing the double over Newquay, the victory over St. Austell and knocking Bodmin out of the Senior Cup at Priory Park! If they stick together they and their excellent management team can achieve a lot. :thumbsup: :clapper:

Guest Peppermint

I would like to join with Ashley,Jim and The Judge and send my sincere congratulations to everyone at Penzance Football Club on winning the title.

I would also like to say well done to all the Newquay players who have given the supporters a great season and have done the Club proud.

I was in agood position to see that the second City goal was clearly offside but no matter Truro got it right last night and Newquay had an off night and no complaints about the result.

Again well done to The Magpies and we the Newquay followers are proud of Jim and the team and hopefully there will a good attendance at the Dinner on Friday 15th May - also best wishes to Paul Robertson for Saturday's big event!

It was nice to meet Mike Odgers and Callymike at the game - at least United.

just like to say well done to truro 1st team and the reserve team that beat newquay 2-0 which stopped them winning the league and you being a newquay boy nige you could of asked your team to loose no well done .I STAYED IN AND WATCHED MAN UTD GIVE ARSENAL A REAL FOOTBALL CLASS OF SKILL AND FINISHING CANT SEE CHELSEA WINNING TONIGHT I PREDICT A 3-0 WIN FOR BARCELONA. :c:

Well done Penzance you have promoted West Cornwall into the SWPL Premier.

It will be a much needed local 'derby' for Falmouth and now you will have the most mileage in the League.

On the other foot, it's now a nice trip up to Bovey for the premier boys after they have secured a top two finish in the East.

congrats to trevor and ray and the guys i know , glyn sage chris mark sid well done to you guys penz in my opion were the most proffesional and best side in our league so well done pleased for you all , but a special mention to jim and the guys at newquay for a wonderfull season , watched them a few times and know most of the squad quite well they have done the town proud and had a great season ,,, mettz

FROM SWPL WEBSITE...

LEAGUE NEWS & ANNOUNCEMENTS

Wednesday 29th April : Callington Town v St Austell

The league are aware that this fixture in Division 1 West was abandoned after 63 minutes with Callington leading 1-0. After preliminary discussions with the referee the league will be awaiting his official written report and once that is received the league will file any charges deemed appropriate. No decision as to the declaring of the result or punishments imposed will be made until such time as the official report and the clubs responses to it are received by the league. Updated : Update on Friday 1st May : Referees Reports have now been received and charges have been issued to St Austell under league rule 8.3, they now have a maximum of 14 days to respond to the charge.

AND ALSO...

Latest News

Tuesday 5th May

Penzance win the West Division Title and promotion to the Top Flight as rivals Newquay lose 0-2 away at Truro City Reserves.

AND THE LEAGUE TOP 3...

P W D L Pts

PENZANCE 31 23 3 5 72

NEWQUAY 31 22 2 7 68

ST AUSTELL 30 20 7 3 67

This suggests, that SWPL have already decided that Callington v St Austell will not be replayed and that St Austell will not have the chance to win the Div 1 West.

Congrats to Penzance from this St.Austell supporter - assuming it is all over....

Not wishing to stir things up but it seems decisions have been made about the Callington affair before their time. "Charges" (whatever they are exactly) may have been brought against StAustell but what if the club appeal and are successful? I don't expect for one minute that the game will be made to be replayed but if that were the case and if StAustell win at Vospers tonight then isn't the position different as Town could still pip Pz?

Lots of if's but surely this has to be decided properly and fairly because otherwise, if results pan out correctly, the league title could conceivably have been going to Poltair were if not for the referee's decision to come off the pitch.

I experienced a similar scenario (ie the ref walking off mid game) during a Sunday league fixture many years ago but I never expected to see it at this higher standard of football and given the importance of the game I think the refs lack of ability to control the situation is surely as much to blame, if not more, than St.Austell's.

That's not the point - the question is whether the ref was right to abandon the game. The fact I support Town is irrelevant in the point I'm making which is whether, dependant upon results of coming games, it can safely be said that Penzance are definitely champions given that St.Austell can appeal and it must surely at least be a theoretical possibility that the game may have to be replayed!

However, with luck Town can at least finish 2nd and be proud of a terrific season (as can Newquay) and assuming this is the outcome good luck to Pz next season. What a turnaround for all the top 3 after years of dross!

I phoned my Dad, Charles to tell him the great news at about 10.20 last night.

He died suddenly this morning at 5.00. Over the last 20 years or so he hardly missed a Penzance game home or away and had his camera poised on Friday night for photos.

Dad was one of the kindest and fariest people you'll ever meet...and had some of the worst jokes as well.

Football won't be the same without him for me.

Guest Peppermint

What tragic news Fiery Jack - football pales into insignificance in these circumstances. Sincere condolences from all at Newquay Football Club to you and your family.

At least he knew his club - Penzance were champions.