Cornwall Football Forum

Cornwall Veterans League Cup 5th October

League Cup

Wendron 2-0 Penzance Newlyn

Attendance - 1

Wendron progress into the quarter-finals of the League Cup with a comfortable win against Penzance Newlyn. Wendron do not play league games only getting together to play cup matches.

Is this an advantage being able to pick and choose the best players from local sides for one-off games or is it better to play week in week out getting to know your team-mates?

The pitch at Underlane was in good condition apart from the goal mouths which were bare of grass. The game starts 40mins late and in that time the crowd of 5 drops down to 3 and after a few minutes your correspondent is the sole attendee!

The game kicks off and all the early pressure is from Wendron and they almost take an early lead when they break down their left, square into the box, lay the ball off and volley from 6yds. The keeper is equal to it and makes an instinctive save palming the ball away.

Penzance are giving the ball away in midfield which doesn't help their cause and it is no surprise when Wendron go in from on the quarter-hour. A three-man move, over in 10seconds, the keeper kicks to his right, the ball is knocked long cross pitch to a swallow diving Dominic Pullen who heads in cross goal. A goal worthy of any game.

6mins later and the lead is doubled. Wendron break right, square the ball and Anthony Harris lobs the keeper from 25yds out.

For the rest of the half Penzance have to push forward to pull a goal back but Wendron defend in numbers, time and again hoofing the ball long for Pullen to chase.

H-T

The second half is a more even affair with the closest chance going to Wendron as Penzance try long ball into the box.

A quick Wendron break down their right to the goal-line sees a cross bounce along the bar and safely away.

Penzance try passing the ball around the middle of the park to tire out the Wendron side who have no subs before firing the ball into the box, but again the home defense stand firm blocking and heading out any incoming traffic.

A Wendron break against the run of play sees a low volley skim the post.

During the last quarter of an hour Wendron start to shut the game down with slow play, walking for set pieces as it is plain to see their attack and midfield wilting.

This tactic works and the game peters out with neither side looking like adding to the goal tally.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, attendance of 1 but I have no witnesses to prove it apart from the players!

As I said in my report we started with 5, me an old lady and two youngsters, and a girl on the "Terracing" but the game kicked off late so the kids got bored and so the lady and the youngsters went off for a kick-a-bout on the 5-a-side training/pitch and never came back. The girl gave up after 10mins leaving me on my own.

With about 20mins left a youngsters game finished and 2 people from there came over but were chatting by the entrance so they don't get counted.

Yesterday at Grampound we started with 5 spectators got up to 10 with the curious coming over to look-see, but eventually settled on 8.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

I hope you are well my name is James i am the CEO of a Sports marketing company Box2Box Sport Asia We are looking into holding a veterans charity event in Asia next year in conjunction with the football federation of Cambodia ,at this point we are just looking to find out if veterans teams would be interested in taking part , the winning team plays a legends team from the English Premier League ,Your feedback would be very helpful just to determine if the project is viable thanks for your help

And your thoughts on entering a team to represent your league my email is
james@box2boxsport.com

http://kwiksurveys.com/s.asp?sid=6x7nrkd67abes1o457144

Kr James
CEO Freestyle Football Federation Thailand
CEO Box2Box Sport Co Ltd