Cornwall Football Forum

Combo Results and Table - Sat 18th October

Cornwall Combination League
Saturday 18th Oct
Falmouth Town Reserves (Dan Evans 2, Ben Allen 2, Alex Ottoway, Bobby Bryant, Kevin Morris) 7-1 Troon (Bradley Philips)

Att - 47
Illogan RBL Reserves (Adam Calloway 2, Chris Prout) 3-2 Goonhavern Athletic (Craig Brown, Ryan Brooks)
Att - 30
Ludgvan (Jamie Devine) 1-1 St Just (Darren Steadman)
Att - 100
Newquay Reserves (Louis Price) 1-3 Helston Athletic Reserves (Chris Reed, Ben Leech, Mike Halibone)
Att - 43
Penryn Athletic Reserves (Jamie Allen) 1-2 Perranwell (Ross Bowden 2)
Att - 72
Porthleven Reserves 0-4 St Agnes (Thadeus Vingoe 3, Dan O'Toole)
Att - 30
RNAS Culdrose A-A Hayle (referee injured)
Att -
Redruth United 0-3 Wendron United (Mike O'Neil, Justin Searle, Jason Roberts)
Att - 55
St Day (Brendan Hitchens 3, Frazer Cadman, Daine Peacock) 5-1 St Ives Town (Andy Barry)
Att - 80
POS TEAM PL W D L F A GD PTS

1 MULLION 13 10 1 2 40 9 31 31
2 ST AGNES 13 10 0 3 36 15 21 30
3 LUDGVAN 14 8 4 2 50 18 32 28
4 WENDRON 12 9 0 3 44 14 30 27
5 HELSTON 15 9 0 6 43 24 19 27
6 FALMOUTH 14 8 3 3 30 20 10 27
7 REDRUTH 12 8 1 3 39 14 25 25
8 ST DAY 13 8 1 4 44 24 20 25
9 ILLOGAN 14 7 2 5 28 21 7 23
10 ST JUST 14 7 3 4 32 25 7 21*
11 PERRANWELL 14 6 1 7 24 28 -4 19
12 PENRYN 15 5 2 8 24 41 -17 17
13 NEWQUAY 15 4 3 8 22 34 -12 15
14 ST IVES 12 4 1 7 14 31 -17 13
15 HAYLE 13 4 0 9 16 36 -20 12
16 GOONHAVERN 14 2 2 10 20 44 -24 8
17 CULDROSE 6 2 1 3 13 15 -2 7
18 PORTHLEVEN 15 2 1 12 12 45 -33 7
19 TROON 14 0 0 14 11 84 -73 0
* Points adjusted

Culdrose v hayle match abandoned after 38 mins hayle 1-0 up at time Craig Wilcox with the goal ref unable to continue due to calf injury , shame as hayle were the better team at the time should have been three but some wayward shooting and the keeper saving a couple , have to be replayed again

A very emotional day for the family, friends players and all connected with St Day AFC.

After a very hard week for many, This morning saw approx 140 people connected to the youth stand on the main pitch, whilst his shirt was carried on to the pitch, and we gave a minutes round of applause. Thanks to Goonhavern U12s and Falmouth U10s for their respects

At 3pm all 4 teams gathered on the main pitch, again the family join us, players, spectators and club officials once again carried his shirt on to the pitch as this time approx 80 people fell silent for 1 min. Thanks again to St Ives and Stithians Res for their respects. A minute silence was held at St Keverne where our reserve team paid their respects and memories. A big thank you to Redruth Utd, Wendron Utd, Carharrack & Constantine for falling silent prior to their games, and any other clubs that did so.

Just the vast amount of people showing their respects today shows what he meant to this club and village, he truly will be missed, as many of us have realised this week. Even at away games Kerwin always knew someone to talk to and generally they would recognise him first. The teams did Kerwin and his whole family very proud today, but I'm sure if he was there at the home games today the linesman's flag alone would of got him shouting.

St Day Combo 5 St Ives 1
St Keverne 3 St Day Res 2
St Day III 7 Stithians Res 0
St Day Choughs 1 Goonhavern U12s 1
St Day Tinners 2 Falmouth Utd U10s 0

Hopefully tomorrow U13s who are away to Saltash U13s in the Cornwall County Cup and the U9s away at Penzance will do them proud also.

Gone but certainly not forgotten
"ONCE A SAINT ALWAYS A SAINT"
Kerwin Prisk

Some photographs of the club today are on twitter and will be uploaded onto the club website this evening.

A potentially great game of football at clijah, was ruined by a ref who really should have worn the yellow shirt of Wendron today. I was looking forward to this game, in what was a huge game for the league, where top officials need to be appointted for games of this stature. It's no fault of Wendron or Redruth United. The ref gave a penalty after consulting his assistant, who stated the offence was a yard out of the box, so he gave the penalty any way, during which he was 30 metres away from the area of the pitch. Redruth were denied a blatant free kick, in which they lost possession and Wendron went up the other end and scored. Saying that, Redruth set up very tactically and got men behind the ball in the first half, but they also had a perfectly good goal ruled out for a push, that only the ref saw, from the half way line, whilst the player headed in from 6 yards out. Wendron were superior in possession and did shade the game, but the ref took the sting out of the game for them, during periods of Redruth momentum and threatening positions. Yes it's a difficult job being a ref and we are losing refs, but until they are assessed and trained appropriately, the bad refs will stay around and gives every ref a bad name.

Hi Winston

If you are not happy with the referee then get your secretary to mark him under 60 points on the team sheet and get him to write a report of the clubs dissatisfaction point by point, or otherwise do not complain about the referee. As a club secretary I have written a report about a referee and it has been acknowledged by the CCFA and I have no doubt action will be taken.

The ball is now in your court, are you prepared to press for action.

Thanks Ronnie!! Much appreciated. Must admit it was hard work!!! Lucky a few old friends came to the rescue! Think I made roughly 30 calls from 5pm to get the 9 games in the paper by the 8pm deadline! It was 7.58 actually!! Hoping it will get easier as the weeks go on and I organise myself better? Difficult to fit in all the info given into the 100 words per report required but I hope I can do every club justice throughout the season without too many mistakes!? Great league which I've always followed and it was good to me at the beginning and the end of my career so nice to be part of it again. Thanks

A potentially great game of football at clijah, was ruined by a ref who really should have worn the yellow shirt of Wendron today. I was looking forward to this game, in what was a huge game for the league, where top officials need to be appointted for games of this stature. It's no fault of Wendron or Redruth United. The ref gave a penalty after consulting his assistant, who stated the offence was a yard out of the box, so he gave the penalty any way, during which he was 30 metres away from the area of the pitch. Redruth were denied a blatant free kick, in which they lost possession and Wendron went up the other end and scored. Saying that, Redruth set up very tactically and got men behind the ball in the first half, but they also had a perfectly good goal ruled out for a push, that only the ref saw, from the half way line, whilst the player headed in from 6 yards out. Wendron were superior in possession and did shade the game, but the ref took the sting out of the game for them, during periods of Redruth momentum and threatening positions. Yes it's a difficult job being a ref and we are losing refs, but until they are assessed and trained appropriately, the bad refs will stay around and gives every ref a bad name.

Sorry to hear the ref was not up to your standards. How do you train refs? The profession is not something you can teach in a class room. The theory you can but the application of the laws is learnt on the feild of play. There is no such thing as a BAD ref only experience and inexperience ones. Exprience comes from mistakes and learning from them. Unfortunately at this level there will be alot of mistakes. Did you talk to the ref in the bar after the game or just leave him in the corner on his own?

Sorry to hear the ref was not up to your standards. How do you train refs? The profession is not something you can teach in a class room. The theory you can but the application of the laws is learnt on the feild of play. There is no such thing as a BAD ref only experience and inexperience ones. Exprience comes from mistakes and learning from them. Unfortunately at this level there will be alot of mistakes. Did you talk to the ref in the bar after the game or just leave him in the corner on his own? There's a thought - is it a requirement for the referee to go into the clubhouse after the game?

To be fair to the ref in question here, he did come into the bar after the game. We have all been on the end of decisions that we didn't agree with and some that we have found ludicrous, I know I've been on the end of some shockers in my opinion! But the old cliche is that they even themselves out over the season. One thing I would say about Alan, is that he will explain his decisions and why he felt that was or wasn't given, which he did on Saturday, and he is not one of the referees that lots of player and crowd pressure, can influence. If we look at the ref situation in the lower leagues we can all see that there are many games taking place with club refs officiating(this will lead to even more controversy). Let's not be to harsh on the ones that we have, and force more out of the game! On the subject of the game, Neal set Redruth up to defend and to try to catch us on the break, his players stuck to their tactics and it was frustrating for us, we stuck to our task and had to adapt, we eventually found ways through. Both of us as managers Will have learnt a lot of positives about our players In the game. 3-0 was a bit flattering to us, but I'm am please to get that game out of the way and get the points. Redruth great bunch of lads with a top manager, and the best after match bar in the league.

Sorry to hear the ref was not up to your standards. How do you train refs? The profession is not something you can teach in a class room. The theory you can but the application of the laws is learnt on the feild of play. There is no such thing as a BAD ref only experience and inexperience ones. Exprience comes from mistakes and learning from them. Unfortunately at this level there will be alot of mistakes. Did you talk to the ref in the bar after the game or just leave him in the corner on his own? There's a thought - is it a requirement for the referee to go into the clubhouse after the game?

No...but its the best time to discuss the match after everyone has calmed down and away from the match evironment. At Southern/ Western league level the officials are not allowed to go into the club bar after the game (FA rule) but instead have drinks and food in the board room with board members and reps.