Cornwall Football Forum

ECPL FIXTURES Wednesday 1st October

Liskeard 3, Saltash United 3

Any eventful game at Lux Park last night although, despite the scoreline, I doubt it was that entertaining for the neutral.

Without going into too much detail, I felt we were fortunate to get a point last night although, at 3-2 up in injury time the penalty and sending off was extremely harsh, although Liskeard had 2 or 3 shouts for a pen during the game that, from where I was stood, looked more of a pen than the one he gave! So, not a lot of grounds for complaint on that score... we rode our luck most of the night.

We started well and for the first 20mins complete dominated but couldn't add to our early 1-0 lead. After that, Liskeard were much the better side on the night and reacted exactly as I had expected them to after their weekend mauling. While missing a number of players, that's not an excuse, we just didn't play well at all and hardly deserved the point we got. Onwards and upwards.

Saltash lineup: (4-3-3): Dan Pen-Collins; Josh Fedrick, Carl Powell-Thomas, Christian Evans, Ryan Steel (Jeyon Cardinez, HT); James Bullen (Shaun Cleary, 80mins), Dan Discombe, Matt Glendinning (Scott Coombe, 75mins); Josh Bance, Curtis Damerell, Lloyd Jones. Sub not used: Josh Tapp.

Goals: 0-1 (Jones, 5mins), 1-1 (60mins), 2-1 (65mins), 2-2 (Bance, 81mins), 2-3 (Cleary, 86mins), 3-3 (pen, 90+mins).

Sent Off: Evans (90+mins)

I don't see how first team players are ringers. Players sign for a club with injuries or work it can be difficult to fulfil a fixture especially mid week - if players progress from a second or third team that is part of development. A club by definition is a club and is strengthened by the sum of its parts. Bigger clubs get criticised for not fulfilling fixtures then when they shuffle squads they get accused of using ringers.