Cornwall Football Forum

Foxhole - what happened?

I'll shed some light for you, on what I feel was,a very sad situation. I took the job fully believing I could help foxhole get back on track. The committee and everyone at the club were fantastic and supportive, a real credit to local football, but and its a big but, between myself and Bunty we just couldn't attract enough players, why? Well probably due to a combination of factors, a couple of bad seasons culminating in a quick turn around of managers which in turn always leads to players leaving the club, either not happy with the new manager or following the old manager. The lack of a brown envelope was a concern for another of players I contacted, rather opting to potentially sitting on the bench and collecting a tenner than play 90 minutes of football, but this is the age we live in. It was a tough decision for the club to make and will now look to rebuild and hopefully Ali can get what was the second team up to senior football in the next few seasons. Good luck to all at foxhole this season.

Yeah that's a pretty fair assessment I suppose, but let's look at the facts shall we. Newquay reserves were a very poor side when I took over finishing second from bottom, when I left the club half way through the season they were comfortably mid table already massing more points than they did in the whole of the previous season. I took over Wadebridge at the end of January with them already in a precarious position and unfortunately the damage had been already done, but they are a great bunch of lads and a good club and I'm sure they will bounce back. And last what had happened at foxhole is sad, and ad you state I did ask some Wadebridge players to come across along with 10's of other player but couldn't convince them for various reason the most common was no money and second was because most players saw what happened last season and didn't want to come across.

I've taken on 3 difficult jobs since being down here and yes they haven't all worked out, but people who I respect in the game down here still seem to pick the phone up and make me offers so I must be doing something right. If I take another job please feel free to come along to a training session or game and then make a judgement.

But as you state that is my record so far and can't change it.

Yeah that's a pretty fair assessment I suppose, but let's look at the facts shall we. Newquay reserves were a very poor side when I took over finishing second from bottom, when I left the club half way through the season they were comfortably mid table already massing more points than they did in the whole of the previous season. I took over Wadebridge at the end of January with them already in a precarious position and unfortunately the damage had been already done, but they are a great bunch of lads and a good club and I'm sure they will bounce back. And last what had happened at foxhole is sad, and ad you state I did ask some Wadebridge players to come across along with 10's of other player but couldn't convince them for various reason the most common was no money and second was because most players saw what happened last season and didn't want to come across.

I've taken on 3 difficult jobs since being down here and yes they haven't all worked out, but people who I respect in the game down here still seem to pick the phone up and make me offers so I must be doing something right. If I take another job please feel free to come along to a training session or game and then make a judgement.

But as you state that is my record so far and can't change it.

Good luck mate, your heart is in the right place !

Cheers mate, it's a hard old job. Nobody will touch a job cos it's to risky or hard, so when you put yourself out there to try and do something positive and it goes wrong all people do is slag you off. Maybe some should come out of their ivory towers and try it.

Good luck for the season