Cornwall Football Forum

Millbrook... What's happening?

Hi all,

I'm hoping just to make a comment on the situation for information purposes only and for those who are genuinely interested, hopefully by doing so i'm not opening up myself to the usual abuse and slating that we often see on here.

Very bad start for us but unfortunately I have to use the excuse of usual (and extreme in our case this year) preseason problems of players on holiday/working/injured etc.. topped off with losing my goalkeeper of 4 seasons and not having a recognised keeper in goal for either game, i can safely say its been a very difficult week.

On the plus side I've personally already racked up nearly 180 minutes on the field having not played much for last 3/4 years, and Im so pleased the weathers been so mild!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness these are excuses and obviously the results have been poor and we haven't been good enough, but its preseason and we've still learnt lessons and taken things out of each game. Players will be coming back game by game and we will get stronger each week. Cant fault the work rate of the players that have been on the pitch just unfortunate to have so many away (12 missing last Saturday).

I agree with Best and am under no illusions it will be a step up this season and we will have to improve, however we still have the same core of players that have had 2 promotions in 3 seasons and in my opinion will be good enough and more importantly still have the potential to improve and compete at this level. We will continue to strengthen and progression both on and off the field remains the aim, as it has since I came to the club and on the plus side the seconds are continuing to progress and look to have built a side capable of competing in the ecpl.

As i've said these are excuses but it is what it is, clearly at this level losing 10-0 back to back is unacceptable but at the end of the day no one looks at preseason results at the end of the season, hopefully we can go on to give a good account of ourselves this year and continue to develop.

Cheers

Swiggsy

Millbrook AFC

Nothing to get worried about Swiggsy we all know pre season friendlies are for training purposes only. I have some fond memories of playing up your place against Truro City back in the 90's you were always a hard team to beat and I am sure things will not change. Good luck for the coming season.

Remember Millbrook having a great side back in the Swl days. One match sticks in the memory when St Blazey were going for the title. St Blazey beat Millbrook 4v3. Big crowd that night and I believe Ian Stephens was sent off much to the delight of the home crowd.

Also remember Millbrook beating St Blazey 4-3 and the linesman getting a full page write up in the paper. He tried giving St Blazey 4 penalties and ended up getting banned.

How ref P Volz dealt with it all was fantastic.

Funny thing was that the lino was supposed to be neutral.

I can still see him now, encroaching onto the pitch, like he was hailing a taxi!