Cornwall Football Forum

Wendron v Callington - Cornwall Senior Cup tie 14/2/15f

Come to Wendron this Saturday 14th February. The home team take on Callington from the Peninsula Premier league, for a place in the semi-final. Come along and support the underdogs, the game kicks off at 2:00pm. Bar open and refreshments available.

What a performance from the lads. So proud of all involved at Wendron. Officials, stewards, fans, players and management. Conducted themselves superbly and a top effort all around.
On the field, perhaps in my claret and blue tinted glasses, I thought we were much the better side. We really dominated proceedings, especially in the first half. Every single one of the boys gave it their all, and I really don't think there was a single Callington player that I would have had wearing a Wendron shirt today.
Went 1 down after about 20mins with a deflected shot. Totally against run of play but their number 11, who was a threat all day, hit it well.
We equalised through Miles from a corner.
Miles then missed a pen in the second half.
Went 2-1 from another corner, this time a Justin Searle finish.
A few minutes later Callington equalised. Looked to be direct from a free kick but am told he forward got a touch. Switched off completely. Was debatable free kick but that's the way it goes.
Still had miutliple chances to win it at the final whistle and again in ET. Bothe teams hitting the bar too.
Penalties are penalties and there is always going to be a hero/villain.
The lads were fantastic. Let's keep it going for he league cup and league. We played some cracking stuff and did more than hold our own.
Thanks to Callington-best of luck in the semis.
Well officiated today. Did a great job I think. Don't like to see players booked but how Cally's number 6 wasn't is beyond me. Several reckless tackles from him and an elbow too. Good footballer though.
All the best. Thanks to those who made the trip. We hope you enjoyed your day.

A most enjoyable cup-tie. Well over 100 spectators: shame no programme! I don't think Callington could really have complained if it had gone the other way, such were Wendron's shares of possession and chances. My first visit to Wendron: impressive facilities in the middle of nowhere! They need to do something about the spectating facilities, though: rubble, uneven surfaces, unfinished building work: all a bit risky to the unwary fan as I found out to my cost! Good win for the thirds at home to Mawnan, on the other pitch, too. Good luck to Callington in the semis. St Blazey/St Austell should be tasty!

Hi TT. You're absolutely right. Could have made a few extra coins with a programme.
The spectating facilities are very much a work in progress-sorry to hear of that! Our aim is to have it complete by the May-start of next season. Proper seats and a roof. Hopefully by your next visit it should look better and be tidier. Thanks for coming down though.
That's Wendron's biggest problem. Being in the middle of nowhere. The seating area, the one on the corner of the pitch, and a lot of the clubhouse was built by players, officials, fans, stewards and the chairman.
The committe, management and players of all sides have done a great job in giving us a club to be proud of.
All the best

Yes, sorry, WendronOfficial, I did sound a bit negative, didn't I! I could have added: lovely friendly clubhouse, nice cup of tea, friendly staff, nice clean loos, good viewing position, nicely above pitch level where the stand is being built (make allowance for Very Strong Winds when constructing the stand roof!) and I realise the work is being done by volunteers so well done them!

To take a team from the Pen Prem to ET and pens was no mean feat and for many spells Wendron dominated the game. Best of luck for the rest of the season.