Cornwall Football Forum

Refs being assessed every week & expensive too !!!

Another ref being assessed today, it really does put pressure on officials knowing there is someone marking them. If the constant assessment is needed for higher league to gain officials, it should be done without the knowledge of everyone in the ground, walking around wearing a Devon FA coat with clipboard in hand makes it far to obvious. 

Were the Ref and his assistants worth the £150 fees Newquay had to pay ?, that sort of money on a regular basis, will see some clubs heading for the Premier exit, back to the East/West where clubs provide their own linesmen. The FA are supposed to encourage lower level clubs to improve facilities, but if clubs are constantly having to spend silly money just to get games played, where is the incentive ?

Moan all you like about some players getting paid big money, at this time Newquays budget is not even the highest in town, let alone Cornwall. The club were offered one player very recently, he is well into his mid 30's, and being touted around various clubs, he wanted £70 a game... what a joke. The match officials fees today all went home very well paid, knowing they are unlikely to ever get injured, rarely get dropped and can carry on cashing in well into their 50's at this level. If the FA and local CCFA & Devons FA's really want to help, they can start by cutting costs to clubs. Refs are also far too card happy at £10 a pop.

A quick look at the Card table on the SWPL site ( shows that refs are far more card happy in the Premier Division, the least amount of Yellows being 29 x £10 and the average around 40 or £400, chuck in a few more yellow and reds and it is close to £700 average by the seasons end. Perhaps not a lot by a couple of cash rich clubs standards, but that would pay for two whole Newquay home games (players & officials). Of course some cards are justified, but I'd suggest that only 25% of them would be issued in the East/West Divs where refs use common sense far more often.

Is it little wonder that there are very few young committee members at clubs, they want to have fun with football, not worry about paying bills and ensuring that an ever increasing amount of paperwork and bureaucracy is dealt with. 

Nemesis, it's a fact of life if you want to take part in higher standard leagues the the officials cost more and the travelling gets longer, you did mention players and these are at times silly for the level of play.. As to assessors marking the referee I would. prefer any day that than the club marks.

So let's get this right Nemesis

You expect more ( preferably young ) people to join committees, give up their spare time and energy, to help raise funds, some of which are then used to pay the fines of some precious players who have incurred a card for gobbing off at the ref !

I'm surprised you've got any committee members at all if that's how you run your club

You either have a marvellous sense of community spirit, you're star struck by average amateur footballers or you've got too much time on your hands !

Three points to raise Nemesis.

The fines for a caution, irrespective of offence, is £8 not £10. This is set by The FA at Wembley. County FAs cannot then charge whatever they like. If Cornwall FA are charging £10, (which I doubt!) then contact The FA and make them aware of this fact.

If a ref is in the bottom group for club marks AND assessors marks, he is demoted to Level 5, and he may only ref East/West games and park football, and also line in Premier Div matches.

If the refs are showing far too many cards, and no matter how much moaning you do, nothing appears to change in that regard, then try a different approach; get the players to learn the refs tolerances and perameters, and work within those tolerances and parameters. How's that for a bit of radical thinking?

You call the refs 'card happy,' I like to use the term 'consistent.' 😄

So, no points for or against refs being assessed without the knowledge of all and sundry? I support assessments, they all need it, but every game?

No mention of the high cost of officials that in some cases exceed gate money? Are the FA supporting clubs or just the local FAs?

Good to see a few of you choking on your pork sausages this morning, don't get too high and mighty, if subjects are not raised and discussed, things will never change or evolve, stagnation leads to death.

So, no points for or against refs being assessed without the knowledge of all and sundry? I support assessments, they all need it, but every game?

No mention of the high cost of officials that in some cases exceed gate money? Are the FA supporting clubs or just the local FAs?

Good to see a few of you choking on your pork sausages this morning, don't get too high and mighty, if subjects are not raised and discussed, things will never change or evolve, stagnation leads to death.

1. Assessors will wear attire as provided for them, and generally be one of the only people to carry clipboards so will be obvious. They will need to inform the referee to hear their pre-match instructions to assistants. Finally the league cover just over 50% of games with assessors as a mandatory requirement to be a Supply League.

2. Although fees may sometimes outweigh gate costs all clubs are remunerated at end of season depending on average costs. Joint travel is sought where possible to keep costs down and fees have been the same for a couple of years now. The leagues set the fees so has nothing to do with County FAs.

Nemesis, it's a fact of life if you want to take part in higher standard leagues the the officials cost more and the travelling gets longer, you did mention players and these are at times silly for the level of play.. As to assessors marking the referee I would. prefer any day that than the club marks.

I recall when the SWP started, one vocal Newquay supporter was complaining about only having one official at West division fixtures. "Judge - AKA Red or Dead" was his name.

Top bloke that Judge, called the Truro problems well in advance, despite the sticks and stones.

Refs and assistants should be in every 'Senior' league, it's the ever increasing cost that is the issue here. At this level, we're told it's supposed to be a hobby, yet clubs are slated for paying even a minimal amount to players - officials should not be making a profit, car sharing is rare these days. It's increasingly difficult to get sponsorship and advertising as austerity is now the norm. Many clubs don't have a clubhouse or make very little income from the one they have. If refs in the Step 7 leagues can use commonsense, why put pressure on those at Step 6 by announcing they are being assessed. Every game so far in 2015 for Newquay has seen clipboard man in attendance home and away, refs are under pressure to comply with FA directives rather than officiate the game that day. Wet, muddy pitches will see mistimed tackles, but are they all worthy of a card?. As Step 7 does not have proper linos, costs are less, I didn't say I agreed with the policy.

At this level, we're told it's supposed to be a hobby, yet clubs are slated for paying even a minimal amount to players - officials should not be making a profit, car sharing is rare these days.

Firstly many officials make very little profit if any once kit, travel costs, training costs and other expenses are taken out.

More worryingly is the second point. Match Officials where practical should car share and do joint travel. Secretaries should speak to the league secretary and appointments officer if this is not case.

Tribute, please let me know which leagues this referee is on as I would love to join those. Having just been up country and seen a referee his fee for a local game is £35 included in that is travelling expenses, Our leage is a £18 fee plus 36p travelling , that is not a true cost of running a car per mile, I suppose my average total fee is around £27 and that would certainly not buy me a holiday abroad. Another point is I always go to the club and spend money over the bar I also buy a scratch card or raffle ticket if they are on offer, I have just looked up the AA figures for pence per mile and an average petrol car doing 10000 miles per year the figure is 56 pence per mile. 

Bighairydave , I work with a lad who refs at junior standard, admittedly he also does mid wk 6 a side games but he admits this goes along way to paying for a abroad holiday for him and his missus . So don't say refs don't make much money .

With 6-a-side extra you maybe perhaps right.

At Supply League level though with the extra travelling for meetings and games, extra kit required and time consumed to perform at that level I'd say that referees do not make much money!

If the abuse keeps going like it is at present you'll need a £1,000 to get a referee in a few years, and they'd be worth it.

Just sit back one day during the match you're at and listen to it, everybody knows better, when they don't, everybody knows the rules better, when they don't. The majority think they can say and do what they want because they paid a few pence to watch, no they can't.

I really do not know how they put up with the tripe they hear, and the abuse they get, and on occasion needing protection from idiot supporters and players, who think its alright to face the poor bugger down, on the pitch, in the bar, leaving the ground.

Idiots all, back off would be my advice, buy the geezer a pint, have a chat, bit of banter, have a laugh with them.

They like to feel part of the day, not outside of it, give them a break, and we may get a few more having a go at reffing.

OR ........ have a go yourself - NAH - didn't think so.

Finally, if they make a few quid, best of luck to them.

Bmanning , as I said its a junior league , so you've only got 2 to choose from . If you only ref once a wk I understand there may be not a lot if money in it . But the refs I know ref at least twice a wk doing the 6 a side leagues , then Saturday and then Sundays . Some even ref sat mornings or Sunday afternoons doing youth football . These guys are pushing £100 a wk at least . Not bad to put towards a holiday ;-)

Bmanning , as I said its a junior league , so you've only got 2 to choose from . If you only ref once a wk I understand there may be not a lot if money in it . But the refs I know ref at least twice a wk doing the 6 a side leagues , then Saturday and then Sundays . Some even ref sat mornings or Sunday afternoons doing youth football . These guys are pushing £100 a wk at least . Not bad to put towards a holiday ;-)

well good luck to them if they have the time and inclination to do so many games ,they must be really fit and have a hide like a rhinoceros ,

Fair play to them but this topic is about refereeing on SWPL!