Cornwall Football Forum

Helston v Illogan

Watched this game and not being biased but helston seemed like they dosnt get out of third gear with out playing with their normal tempo. Illogan did not look like there normal selves not harassing the midfield of helston and also lack a bit of some thing up top. If helston had there shooting boots on 2nd half it could of been a hammering. Not all bad for illogan as they will be a hard team to beat at home.

Agreed: Helston could have had a few more if they had hit the target with more of their chances. As it was, it took an own goal to make it 3-1 though I see it is being attributed to a Helston player. It was off-target until the deflection (I was in line). Someone even told me that from behind the goal, the second goal was deflected in by the goalie's attempt to save but I don't know about that! Right scoreline, really, Illogan outfought, out-thought and outnumbered in mid field. They were generally second to the ball, individuals wanted too many touches and frequently got mugged. Illogan's goal was totally against the run of play and brought howls of objections from the home bench but their 'keeper hadn't got control of the ball and the Illogan lad slid in to rob him. I'd barely had time to express my views on the goal with the question of whether or not Illogan could defend their lead when - they didn't! Their 'keeper's one mistake of the game and it was one-all! Illogan managed two shots on target the whole game: one goal and one well-saved by an otherwise unemployed 'keeper. A reality check for Illogan, but they can only learn and grow. They should fare better than their predecessors did at this level some thirty years ago!

£2 concessionary entry, nice cup of tea in a china mug, 70p - but sadly at this level, no programme. A pleasant afternoon and I would say upwards of 200 there to share it.

Tommy trust, stop it.. We both know it was on target, even though keeps would have saved it, the deflection completely wrong footed him, I guess I was in line with it too, seeing as I hit it haha! Nice to see the illogan boys stick around after the game too, good bunch

Tom trust reasonable assessment , to be fair Helston been one of the best teams in this league now after being experienced for about 4 yrs?! Always a learning season and we will learn! Sometimes a defeat can teach you more than riding the crest of a wave winning so no disgrace in that finding our feet! I think some criticism is unfair on us tho as due to our good start people seem to quick to judge us like today when it didn't go to plan, but it's other people judging what we will do! Not us internally as a club , we are a young squad, most of which inexperienced at this level, Danny Richards our scorer playing trelawney league 18 months ago , it's a big jump for us as a club and we will take it all on board and learn as we go on , just because we were successful at combo doesn't mean we assume to continue at swpl level every week, we are confident as we should be but not cocky in our manner and conduct ourselves in the correct manner , we know stern tests will come this season, to us every week as we are always the underdogs every week this year! But we rise to the challenge hence why we are illogan and take every challenge on the chin , but our team spirit I wouldn't swap for any pay packet in any league, play for free, illogan boys playing for the club

Only other thing I would say tom trust is that it's a reality check for people spectating commenting on illogan on what we "will" do and not come from anyone within the club , we havnt ever said anything about what we will do, as for the comment about our predecessor from 30 yrs ago , that's your opinion as is mine, but at least they gave it a go back then and we have been criticised for not stepping up recently but with Mikey in charge and a great bunch of loyal local young lads and a committee that backs what we wanted to try don't start giving us a hard time! Clubs with budgets have folded but at least we are giving it a crack with local lads who love the club And the game with no budget that do it for the love of the game and the club

Jamo I don't think many of us are knocking your efforts, nor do we expect you at illogan to win the league. I got what I expected to get yesterday, a good competitive game of football, I think toms assessment of the game was fair.

As for the comments about the home manager / assistant...I think this is a little unfair, you won't see any premiership managers taking to twitter once a few words have been exchanged maybe a learning curve for all at the club.

There's no doubt illogan have the potential to consolidate this season, and push on next, with the reserve teams all doing well and the youth set up you have I feel you could provide Cornwall with a great stepping stone to senior football and more. I do feel you play your expectations down a little especially after a tough game, or result, there's no need to, as you say yourself people don't expect the world from a newly promoted team therefore just take it on the chin and move on, and we get that you have no budget, like many clubs in your league and a few above too I'll add!

Keep it up both teams, it's great for Cornwall as a whole!!

30 years ago the team was hamstrung by a committee not fully - er - committed - to the team's ambitions. They were starved of funds, unfortunately. I know as I was the football sec at the time. I know nothing of the club now but am guessing that this time round everyone at Illogan RBL FC is fully behind the progress being made. Also, 30 years ago, some vindictive dinosaurs on the Combination League committee made sure Illogan's reserves couldn't replace the first team in the Combo League meaning that the first team did not have a suitable reserve side to support it, especially as there were rules about players switching from Junior to Senior football and back again. No such problems now, so here's hoping for a successful season. As I don't have a Truro Reserves team to do the music and PA for I ought to be able to take in a few of Illogan's games this season, and I'm looking forward to it (will also be watching a few at Carharrack!).

Even the Premiership has a refreshingly unfamiliar look about it in the top positions (no doubt it won't last!) so here's to a good season of football all round.

What was the official attendance at Helston yesterday?

As the Chairman of Helston Athletic Football Club, and originator of this post, apologies for any confusion caused by incorrectly stating the admission cost for this fixture would be £3 and £1 respectively. As for all 'Blues' 1st XI home SWPL fixtures this season, the cost should have been advertised as £4 adults and £2 concession. Thank you to all who came and supported this match.