Cornwall Football Forum

AFC ST AUSTELL v IVYBRIDGE - SAT 24TH JANUARY 3.00pm KO - CSWPL PREMIER DIVISION

Tremendous result for St.Austell who didn't play particularly well against a very decent Ivybridge team. To see the reaction from the team, bench and supporters to Bods winner shows how much it is a real squad and everyone feels part of the club - Bods hasn't had much game time recently but he and those others who can't quite get a starting place at the moment are just as important to the club as those who start every game.

24 consecutive wins now. Crowd of over 300. Blimey!

St. Austell 2 Ivybridge 1

This was a very good game between 2 evenly matched teams. I thought a draw would have been a fair result based on both teams efforts, but St. Austell’s belief after their long winning run same them snatch a winner in the 3rd minute of injury time.

Ivybridge started well and had an effort on goal in the first minute that was easily saved low down by Jason Chapman in the home goal.  Despite their bright start the visitors were almost a goal down in the 6th minute when Neil Slateford hit the angle of post and bar with the keeper stranded and the ball went behind for a goal kick. Ivybridge took the lead after some neat passing on their left hand side resulted in a deep cross being headed in from 5 yards by their tall striker. They continued to play some good football but St. Austell always looked dangerous on the break and the Ivybridge keeper made a great double save to keep his team in front. Both teams were fully committed and no quarter was being asked or given. 0-1 at half-time.

St. Austell started the second-half a lot brighter – no doubt after some encouraging words from Lafs! Ivybridge were defending very well and their keeper didn’t have many shots to save. The key moment in the match came when Ivybridge broke away and a couple of St. Austell players blocked a shot, but the ball broke loose to a visiting player who struck the ball well, only for Jason Chapman to produce an excellent, full length save to keep his side in it. From the resulting corner the keeper had to be alert to keep the deep cross from going under the bar, with an Ivybridge player colliding with the post when bravely attempting to get on the end of the corner.

St. Austell brought on Jared Sims and almost straight away they got themselves level, when a Chris Reski corner was expertly headed in by Liam Eddy. The game continued to flow and although Ivybridge carried less of an attacking threat in the second-half they looked dangerous on the break. Both teams had presentable chances and both looked as though they could score from set pieces. The clock ticked down and Lafs brought on Mike Body in the 90th minute and I thought that there would be no chance for him to have an influence on the game at that late stage – how wrong I was! In the 93rd minute St. Austell played some good passes down the left hand side and the ball was eventually rolled across to Chris Reski, who I thought was going to shoot, but he remained calm and played a defence splitting pass into Mike Body, who had got in behind the Ivybridge back four and finished low into the net. The Ivybridge players were distraught and the St. Austell players ecstatic. 1 minute later the referee blew his whistle and St. Austell’s winning run remained intact.

Final score St. Austell 2 Ivybridge 1

I thought the referee (Ben Judd) and his assistants (George Pattison and Sam Mills) did well today amd it appeared as though they worked well as a team. I’m sure both sides would question the referee’s decisions at times (wouldn’t they always do that regardless?!), but as a spectator today I thought it was refreshing that he wasn’t blowing his whistle every few seconds and despite some full blooded challenges, he handled the game well. Also I thought that the Ivybridge players seemed like a decent bunch and they had some good banter with the home fans.

All in all it was a good afternoon’s entertainment and I thought a draw would have been a fair result, but St. Austell retained their belief to the end and got their reward with a last minute winner. Well done to everyone from both clubs today for making it a very good contest.

St. Austell 2 Ivybridge 1

This was a very good game between 2 evenly matched teams. I thought a draw would have been a fair result based on both teams efforts, but St. Austell’s belief after their long winning run same them snatch a winner in the 3rd minute of injury time.

Ivybridge started well and had an effort on goal in the first minute that was easily saved low down by Jason Chapman in the home goal.  Despite their bright start the visitors were almost a goal down in the 6th minute when Neil Slateford hit the angle of post and bar with the keeper stranded and the ball went behind for a goal kick. Ivybridge took the lead after some neat passing on their left hand side resulted in a deep cross being headed in from 5 yards by their tall striker. They continued to play some good football but St. Austell always looked dangerous on the break and the Ivybridge keeper made a great double save to keep his team in front. Both teams were fully committed and no quarter was being asked or given. 0-1 at half-time.

St. Austell started the second-half a lot brighter – no doubt after some encouraging words from Lafs! Ivybridge were defending very well and their keeper didn’t have many shots to save. The key moment in the match came when Ivybridge broke away and a couple of St. Austell players blocked a shot, but the ball broke loose to a visiting player who struck the ball well, only for Jason Chapman to produce an excellent, full length save to keep his side in it. From the resulting corner the keeper had to be alert to keep the deep cross from going under the bar, with an Ivybridge player colliding with the post when bravely attempting to get on the end of the corner.
St. Austell brought on Jared Sims and almost straight away they got themselves level, when a Chris Reski corner was expertly headed in by Liam Eddy. The game continued to flow and although Ivybridge carried less of an attacking threat in the second-half they looked dangerous on the break. Both teams had presentable chances and both looked as though they could score from set pieces. The clock ticked down and Lafs brought on Mike Body in the 90th minute and I thought that there would be no chance for him to have an influence on the game at that late stage – how wrong I was! In the 93rd minute St. Austell played some good passes down the left hand side and the ball was eventually rolled across to Chris Reski, who I thought was going to shoot, but he remained calm and played a defence splitting pass into Mike Body, who had got in behind the Ivybridge back four and finished low into the net. The Ivybridge players were distraught and the St. Austell players ecstatic. 1 minute later the referee blew his whistle and St. Austell’s winning run remained intact.

Final score St. Austell 2 Ivybridge 1

I thought the referee (Ben Judd) and his assistants (George Pattison and Sam Mills) did well today amd it appeared as though they worked well as a team. I’m sure both sides would question the referee’s decisions at times (wouldn’t they always do that regardless?!), but as a spectator today I thought it was refreshing that he wasn’t blowing his whistle every few seconds and despite some full blooded challenges, he handled the game well. Also I thought that the Ivybridge players seemed like a decent bunch and they had some good banter with the home fans.

All in all it was a good afternoon’s entertainment and I thought a draw would have been a fair result, but St. Austell retained their belief to the end and got their reward with a last minute winner. Well done to everyone from both clubs today for making it a very good contest.

This is a great report Chris, invaluable to me as I am holiday in Spain and missing all of the action. Thanks.

Excellent report Chris,it was a great game to watch.Ivybridge tired late on, not surprising as they hadn't played since Dec 18th.I thought a draw would have been a fair result. Ivybridge have now conceded winning goals in injury time in their last 2 games, do referees have to wait for the Cornish teams to score the winner before blowing up for full time?