Cornwall Football Forum

BOXING DAY FOOTBALL - AFC ST AUSTELL v ST BLAZEY - FRI 26TH DECEMBER 11.00am KO - CSWPL PREMIER LEAGUE

Assuming that's not a trick question Big Al, it's been an 11am KO for many a year now, plus it gives supporters the opportunity to take in more than one game on Boxing Football Day. Not to mention it also reduces the amount of games clashing with each other, which potentially improves revenue.

Would you like to explain your thoughts "chairman".

It is pretty obvious to all, that St Austell are utilising a substantial budget to field a squad more than capable to win the league and cups available.

To compete, other clubs will surely have a choice, work harder to increase their budget or play second fiddle.

Are you completely sure what St Austell MAY be paying and equally are you sure that other clubs such as St Blazey aren't spending big? I only ask as certain St Blazey members today were expressing their disappointment considering the money being spent. Either way, it's up to a Club what they do or don't pay, but I'm not convinced some folk realise just how much some mid table sides such as Blazey, are paying out.

Like I say, just what some Blazey folk were discussing.

The thing that annoyed me with this game is the sheer amount of fake St Austell fans. Where were you when the club was a few games away from not existing? When a gate of 30 was looked upon as a success? To turn up once a club has pumped ridiculous amounts of money into a team is just stupid. To those faithful fans who have been there through thick and thin, then fair enough, you deserve nothing more than celebrating at this moment in time. In regards to the game, on the whole you were the better team (hard not to be with the team fielded). But I thought a spirited performance was shown from St Blazey who even had the cheek to go 2 goals up.

But to the majority, you're only there because you're winning.

St Austell 7v2 St Blazey. The scoreline dosnt tell the full story at all. St Blazey much the better early on with Chapman in goal making 3 decent saves. St Blazey then went 2 up through a Spear free kick and a good old smash from the edge of the box from Broomfield. At this point it was all St Blazey. St Austell couldn't put two passes together. Sadly St Blazey pressed the self destruct button. A missed tackle left the St Austell player one on one. Goal. Then St Blazey back on the attack. Ball played forward to Broomfield who trys a fancy flick. We loose possession and with 2 long passes it's 2v2. That's where we need to learn. We had the game won. Yet were almost chasing it. We need to know how to be boring and just take the sting out the game. St Austell were average at best before we gifted then 2 goals. St Austell then scored a third before Nelson kicks out off the ball. St Austell player down in extreme pain. Ref speaks to lino, calls player over, red card and in one motion the St Austell player gets up and runs out ready to play again. Seconds earlier he was lying in the mud in extreme pain. Incredible. No complaints about the red card. Stupid and completely ruined a great match. After that it was about keeping the score down once St Austell went 4v2 up.

Disappointing crowd of just over 300. I no the weather was wet to say the least but St Austell are going for the title, it's a local derby on a bank holiday. To see Newquay v Godophin getting a bigger crowd is dissapointing. A bit of rain never hurt anyone. Get out and watch your local sides.

To Mr Tonkin

Why should it bother you about St Austell fans yes we are doing well on the pitch. That breeds more interest and the more that come and watch the better for local football. You've had your success over the years now maybe its the mighty lillywhites that could have some. Sour grapes I think.!!

The thing that annoyed me with this game is the sheer amount of fake St Austell fans. Where were you when the club was a few games away from not existing? When a gate of 30 was looked upon as a success? To turn up once a club has pumped ridiculous amounts of money into a team is just stupid. To those faithful fans who have been there through thick and thin, then fair enough, you deserve nothing more than celebrating at this moment in time. In regards to the game, on the whole you were the better team (hard not to be with the team fielded). But I thought a spirited performance was shown from St Blazey who even had the cheek to go 2 goals up.

But to the majority, you're only there because you're winning.

Adam we have had hard times for years when brilliant St Blazey teams were ruling the roost and giving teams including us some real beatings. They attracted the best players in the County and Plymouth because of the quality of the team and they were in a position of having a large budget. For years St Austell supporters had to eat humble pie and put up with mickey taking and jibes of "St Awful" from certain St Blazey fans on this Forum who seem to have disappeared from here and the terraces since the trophies disappeared.

Every club has its ups and downs, obviously we are on the "up" at the moment and the quality of the team and its results is going to attract the casual supporters and the more talented players.

As regards the continual comments regarding the club's budget, I can assure you this has been raised by the hard work and dedication of a small number of people who have been able to get a large amount of sponsorship from the local community, businesses and supporters who have been willing to put their hands in their pockets. I am absolutely certain that the current administration will not spend money they haven't got and put the club in the dire financial position they were in a number of years ago when they were close to folding.

This is the best St Austell team since 1968, probably ever. Many of the players are local lads not imports from Plymouth like some other teams We are likely to win some trophies which we will all enjoy but most of us will remain humble and remember how the wheel of fortune can turn quickly .

Fair comments Midlandlilywhite, yet I still feel the lucrative wage packet and healthy bonuses may be encouraging the type of players you have attracted to join, and the good form/results have come as a consequence of this, not the actual teams ability beforehand. Yet still, each to there own with opinions etc.

For christ sake teams have been doing this for years,but because St austell are now doing very well and attracting the talent people don't like it,yeah they may have abit of money but don't you think that some of it is because they want to play for there management and St austell its self??? Get over over it ⚽️⚽️⚽️?????

St. Austell will always be called St. Awful due to the geographical location/name sake. Very few players play in Cornwall due to passion for the club... Money talks. That being said St. Austell have a turn to get the name on some silverware before money finds itself elsewhere and the hooray henries jump ship and join another club. Fair play...merry go round

Best of luck to any club who work to spend their own money, they can do what they like with it. It is the nature of the beast to throw money at teams, from the premiership down to this level....and below (!)

I think its bonkers, but, opportunity arising - my club would probably do the same. Has as already been said, those on here throwing stones need to be careful, glasshouses spring to mind.

Whether the level that some aim for is sustainable on available finance remains to be seen, but the journey will be enjoyable.

Best of luck from me.

2 points I'd like to make and both get right on my tits.

1. Who cares what clubs spend. St Austell are splashing a bit of cash now as we're St Blazey years ago. So what. If you've got it, why not. Fans do top up a wage bill. So what. It's their enjoyment at the end of the day. They earn their cash. They can spend it as they wish. Fair play to St Austell and Bodmin and a few others who have their grounds littered in sponsor boards. There's money to be had. It's down to clubs to find someone who can be bothered to go out and get it.

2. The constant talk of Plymouth players v local players. How far do people think Plymouth is? I've said it before, it's quicker to drive from St Blazey to Plymouth then it is St Blazey to Truro. Yet if St Blazey had players from the Truro area we'd have a local side! Complete rubbish. I can't believe for a second the people that harp on about this don't have a Premiership club they like to watch. Their lucky to have anyone English let alone local. I can honestly say I've never watched St Blazey and thought after a defeat.....god I wish they were local players. Never. And after watching them over 630 times now I'd think I'd have known whether or not it makes any difference. Local players bring the same issues as players who live further away. Work commitments etc exsist in both locals and the ones over the bridge. This season we've had a player who's played for Nigeria under 19s and a player who played in the Europa league. Both scored some cracking goals and made the admission worth every penny. Would you find that talent local?? Hummmm.....doubt it.

Paul if you were referring to my utterance- I was questioning the journeyman (players)who are actually prepared to drive from say Plymouth to St blazey for example if there is an extra tenner in it for them for a home game. Questioning their mentality... Couldn't give two hoots whether players originate from Outer Mongolia but if you live nearby a half decent team etc why not play for them?

Paul ur players don't care about st blazey as long as they get there money . As I played in a game at blazey last season for at austell and was told as long we get paid it don't matter about the result , say no more , and u lot train at plymouth/ivybridge , don't care about local Derbys , hence why u got tanked after a couple of lucky goals on Boxing Day #lillywhites

Several people have mentioned it in the past and continue to do so. Don't get me wrong, there are players who drift around for an extra fiver but they don't last long. There are many though who do stick with a club. Take our goalkeeper Painter for example. Stuck with St Blazey and our best keeper we've had for a long time. If he left all St Blazey fans would be dissapointed that's for sure.

If no one cared they certainly wouldn't have played the football they did and celebrated the goals as they did. To easy to write utter rubbish. If they aren't intrested, they will soon be gone. St Blazey FC was here before them and will be long after them. Fact.

Look the end of the day blazey spent thousands and had there success as did Bodmin over the years,St Austell are far from spending thousands and bringing players and are and will gain success,there's lots of jeleousy on this forum,just get over that it's St Austells turn to enjoy the glory right now ???????⚽️⚽️⚽️??????????⚓️

It's a shame the money couldn't be spent flattening that awful slope! Have seen St Austell a few times and they have looked really good every time. I feel this could be their season...

doesn't make it a good thing regardless of where they are confined in my opinion. Cornwall is a small pond. V J - top teams was reference to the teams at the top in last few years for example who win things and the squad/money they have at the time. Same players turn up at other clubs and not surprisingly win things there hence merry go round

I think we all know there are some mercenaries on the circuit without a doubt. But I think some players who have shown tremendous loyalty over many seasons get overlooked in the process somewhat.

Examples are Chambers, Simmonds, Mathews at Bodmin; Clarke & Hughes at Saltash, Tilley at Launceston; Pope at Falmouth; Giles, Lean, Whetters, Body, Tinsley at St Austell; Wheldhen at Newquay; Fallens, Brown, Lowry at Godolphin; Ash at Truro; Cook at Wadebridge.

Ok maybe only handfuls at each club but it proves that loyalty does still exist in local football.

No SaintsAFC, Phil Lowry who has remained at the G since Duchy level football (G fans may correct me on this). Many have tried to lure him away, but stayed loyal to the G cause. These are the players we should spend more time talking up on this forum, instead of always looking at the negatives of local football!! Typically English of people!!

Look the end of the day blazey spent thousands and had there success as did Bodmin over the years,St Austell are far from spending thousands and bringing players and are and will gain success,there's lots of jeleousy on this forum,just get over that it's St Austells turn to enjoy the glory right now ⚽️⚽️⚽️⚓️

Regrettably I'm not fluent in emoticon, they didn't teach it back when I was at school, so could someone translate that last sentence for me please.

Please refer to the original Paulier post for content as the "quote" button appears to have deleted 17 of the 21 emoticons leaving just three footballs from the Middle and the final anchor! Maybe the forum elves don't speak emoticon either!

Chappers probus , leaner st austell , Giler st austell , whetts foxhole , Tinsley fowey , watsy fowey , Jordi st austell , slates st austell , brokes st austell , body st austell , Nanks st austell , Reski st austell , 12 players that live no more than10 miles from there local club,playing at the highest standard.

Half of them were playing for a local side called St Blazey once. Lol.

Another ridiculous sending off ruined all Argyles good work today. Over 11,000 there and yet again they loose when a good crowd turns up. Disappointing.

According to fans postings on PASOTI the s/o was fully justified.

Just a bad festive period for teams in green.