Cornwall Football Forum

Hearts 10-0 Cowdenbeath/Double figure wins

When was the last time a British team won a league game by double figures?

The last English Football League side to win a league match by double figures was Manchester City who beat Huddersfield Town 10-1 in 1987. Rangers beat Keith 10-1 in the Scottish Cup sometime in the last 15 years (I think).

Today Hearts pummelled Cowden with 5 goals in each half including a 3 minute hat trick, two of which were penalties. A third penalty was chipped in in the second half. The 10th goal came in the 73rd minute.

You're slightly incorrect here Willowhead

For a bit of fun I put £2 on Rangers to beat Keith 10 nil at my local bookies ( it was back in the nineties ) and he gave me 100 - 1

Keith scored with about two minutes to go when they were ten nil down.

Professionals or not it was apparent that the Rangers defence allowed Keith to get on the scoresheet

I was gutted !

I did wonder if it was earlier, time certainly flies by. If memory serves me right, I think Celtic played a non league team at the same time (Whitehill Welfare).

Keith vs Rangers was played at Hamilton on Saturday 27th January 1996 (I was way off!) and Celtic beat Whitehill 3-0 on Sunday 28th.

I know not of a senior level but I was part of longrock reserves first ever game in the old amor shield and lost 16-1 to Sennen , the one goal for us came from a clearance from the edge of our box by me which was to relieve the pressure,wind assisted it hit the post and went in ,our side cheered ,I missed it as I was just glad to get rid, the old three fields kick ,ha ha

Does anyone remember some of those high scores in european matches in the 1970's. I seem to remember Chelsea, or it may have been Spurs, beating a Norwegian side by something like 19-0, (?), over 2 legs. I'm sure someone will be able to remember better than me. 

Spurs beat Crewe 13 - 2 in an F A cup replay many years ago, when the Crewe team left Crewe their train departed from platform 2, later when leaving London their train departed from platform 13

It seems hard that the two teams scared four goals only a few days before!

Does anyone remember some of those high scores in european matches in the 1970's. I seem to remember Chelsea, or it may have been Spurs, beating a Norwegian side by something like 19-0, (?), over 2 legs. I'm sure someone will be able to remember better than me. 

Chelsea beat Jeuness Esch (not sure on the spelling) but they were a part time Luxembourg outfit whom a source told me included a player who only had one arm!

Back in the 1960's (?) Bournemouth beat Burton Albion 11- 0 in a cup match. I believe I'm right in saying that Ted McDougall scord eight or nine of them.

Also back in the 1960's (?) Spurs beat Ipswitch Town 10 - 0 (?) in an old Division 1 match. 

It was in November 1956 that Bournemouth hammered Burton 8-0 in a First Round FA Cup tie. No, I'm not an anorak, but I've checked it on the Soccerbase website!

I think the game you are referring to took place in the early '70's, when Bournemouth beat Margate in a cup tie. A hazy childhood memory tells me it was 9-0 and McDougall bagged eight of them, but I could be wrong and it wouldn't be for the first time. Come to think of it, maybe I'll check this one out too.

hansome dan - I found details of the match I was thinking of. In September 1971 Chelsea played FC Jeunesse Hautcharage of Luxembourg in the UEFA Cup. They played away first and won 8-0 and two weeks later they won 13-0 at home. A 21-0 aggegate score. Peter Osgood scored 8 goals across the two matches!