Cornwall Football Forum

Best League in the World.?

somersetspur

And these players are paid megabucks. Better off watching local football. The premier league is now one big joke.

When players are getting paid £350,000 p/w and little non league clubs are going under,the whole football system is

going to hell in a dustcart.

Thanks to the Premier League and Sky T.V. and all the bent bast££ds in UEFA and FIFA.

And these players are paid megabucks. Better off watching local football. The premier league is now one big joke.local football? With all the banter on other posts about who gets paid what and which team has the biggest backer , it applies down to our level as well , money has ruined the peoplles game at all levels from the top down , the genie is out of the bottle and won't get back in

The EPL league is a joke with the money overload, Can anyone tell me that there are not better English players than the likes of Kolarov, Clichy, etc I only mentioned those 2 because I support City but there are loads of ordinary players at every club. Sky should invest their money into bringing good English players through the system in time, the league would be just as attractive. Ban all foreign imports and start again. Fans are so fickle, a few years ago City were pilloried for trying to buy the the league but now Man Utd have had to do the same it seems to be accepted. The answers simple, don't buy the shirts, don't go to the matches the clubs would soon catch on.Rather watch For The Love Of Dogs myself.

The EPL league is a joke with the money overload, Can anyone tell me that there are not better English players than the likes of Kolarov, Clichy, etc I only mentioned those 2 because I support City but there are loads of ordinary players at every club. Sky should invest their money into bringing good English players through the system in time, the league would be just as attractive. Ban all foreign imports and start again. Fans are so fickle, a few years ago City were pilloried for trying to buy the the league but now Man Utd have had to do the same it seems to be accepted. The answers simple, don't buy the shirts, don't go to the matches the clubs would soon catch on.Rather watch For The Love Of Dogs myself.

You raise a fair point, but I am reminded of a comment that Sven Goran Eriksson made when he was managing City a few years ago. Eriksson recruited Martin Petrov (an excellent signing) but, at the time, he was questioned by journalists about why he hadn't gone for Englishman Stuart Downing instead, who was a similar type of player. Sven replied in that dead-pan way of his that he had, indeed, inquired about Downing, but the transfer fee would have been THREE times higher than the amount he had paid for Petrov and the wage demands were nearly three times higher too. Was Downing three times better than Petrov? Hardly.

This is by no means the only time an English player has priced himself out, and I'm not sure why. Maybe the majority of foreign professionals are more astute in choosing better agents?

Prem league not the best league in the world ,but probably the most watched , and most income generated , and where else can you receive cash payments for getting relegated. ? Everyone of us who have sky / bt contribute to the cash cow of the prem league the top sides slice up the payments each season which keeps them at the top , but great this season with Southampton at present bucking the trend with all their top players sold and still flying high , they seem to have a great set up with finding young talent and bringing the best out of them , perhaps this is the model for all so called smaller clubs in the prem league and some that think they are the dogs danglies

On the Daily Mail website there's a Liverpool team photo.

Aside from the Manager, there are another " EIGHTEEN " non playing members of staff

These include, Kit Manager, Kit Co Ordinator, Head of Fitness and Conditioning, Head of Opposition Analysis, Head Of Performance, First Team Match Analysis, Team Administrator - It goes on and on.

No wonder they're all so precious and Rogers is so far up his own arse

Sums up football today , Brian clough must be turning in his grave , how much must that be costing? Probable same at all prem clubs no wonder the working class fans can't afford to go now , perhaps Roy Keane was right withhis blast at the prawn sandwich munchers , the game has moved on over the last twenty years perhaps us older fans yearn for the good old days , apart from the outdated stadia and the trouble

Stevieb, You're absolutely right about that. In many respects, the 1980's were a terrible time to be a football supporter, regardless of which team you followed. The absolute nadir came in 1984-85, with the Heysel riot and its multiple fatalities, the Birmingham-Leeds riot which killed a sixteen year old boy, the Luton-Millwall riot which by a miracle didn't kill anybody, the Bradford fire, and endless other off the field problems throughout the whole of that appalling season. Visiting somewhere like Stamford Bridge or Elland Road demanded a level of preparation more normally suited to travelling to a war zone. Admitting to being a football supporter was only marginally better than being a convicted war criminal, and the non-football public regarded us all with intense hostility and utter contempt.

They were not quite the good old days that some of us of a certain age fondly remember. Not by a long chalk.

• 1 month later...

Another pathetic attempt,by our English clubs in the Champions League.

LIVERPOOL= Field a weakened team because they feel the result is a foregone conclusion against Real Madrid.

ARSENAL= 3-0 up against Anderlecht,then throw it all away[HaHaHaHaHa].

CHELSEA= 1-1 A poor draw against a poor team.

MAN CITY= Lose at home ,and lose the plot,completely.

Im sure Chelsea and Arsenal,will qualify.Arsenal will fall as usual,and Chelsea will park the bus,and try and bore their way to the Final.

At least they are all making a bit of money for their rich owners. :SM_carton:

I think EPL is still top league overall but don't have the top end that a couple other leagues have right now.

The competition is there, watch tonights Q.P.R v Man City game on MOTD for proof of it, all action rarely seen elsewhere in the world however, teams in most European leagues only meet true competition a few times a season therefore having time to hone their skills.

I prefer our football, watching teams winning by cricket scores as it has been in Scotland, Spain, Italy, Portugal etc over the years becomes boring, turn your back on an English Premiership game and usually you miss something.

I don't necessarily think that it's a higher standard in other leagues, it's more that they play a different type of football. It's based on not losing possession and being patient.

I don't think it's in our make up as Brits to accept that. We like the hurly burly and the the excitement of getting the ball forward quickly.

Whilst most foreign players are technically better than English players, not all adapt to the Premier League. But when they do, they make it what it is - The most popular and watchable league in the world.

When England take part in tournaments though we are exposed by our lack of quality players and our inability to keep possession.

German football seems to combine the best of both worlds - Exciting football, good atmospheres and a strong national side

Brianmooreshead wrote : German football seems to combine the best of both worlds - Exciting football, good atmospheres and a strong national side.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​For each home game approximately 1000 spectators travel over from England, not Germans but English nationals.

​I watch some of Dortmund's games on TV the atmosphere is electric fuelled by Standing on the terraces and the ability to enjoy a beer whilst doing so.

Their national side was doing badly then they spent 4 years or so bringing on their younger players, something Roy Hodgson has favoured since taking over England.

I thought I would check out their ticket sales price, I only tried one popular area and the cost was €16.40 (£13 approx) the following message was on the same page. They sell out for almost every game.

Borussia Dortmund is the most intense football experience in Germany, which is also evident in our colours of black and yellow. This intensity is best experienced with a visit to Signal Iduna Park, Germany’s biggest and loudest football ground. At more than 80,500, BVB have the highest average attendance in German football. In 2009, the London Times newspaper hailed it as the world’s best football stadium due to its unique atmosphere.

Experience the best football experience possible!

I would argue that if you match 20 EPL teams against 20 La Liga of the same standing, that the top end would favor La Liga but more EPL teams would win. Their top end is incredible but EPL middle of table and lower would be stronger. On average it is a stronger league. Everyone is quick to jump on Germany and Spain because of their juggernauts on top but I'm not certain their leagues as a whole are any better. It is however getting closer, especially Bundesliga. EPL's broad appeal and popularity will keep the dollars flowing and the players signing.

National team...that is a complete different discussion. Germany has made the right moves to set them apart for a while.

Most of the football from our Premiership is played by foreign nationals, it is therefore strange how we condemn English football week in week out.

This website http://www.flashscores.co.uk/ gives a good picture of world football and who's who on the field of play with their countries of birth displayed. - If you click onto the shirt image in the second column from the far right a summary of the teams appear showing both teams also the rest of the squad also displaying their nationalities. What these line ups reveal could be the reason our national team struggles to succeed, not enough opportunities for our own players.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree, people say that the EPL is the greatest league in the world, but it is just a capitalist league bought out by multi-million/billion pound tycoons. It doesn't give much justice to grassroots to professional transition for home-grown players.. It very much reminds me of massive basketball franchises of the past like Lakers, Bulls, Celtics who used to just buy out the NBA, there are a lot of teams in the EPL now that have major financial backing and a lot of the lower league teams in the EPL who use more home-grown players just struggle.

I believe that F.A/UEFA/FIFA probably pocket a fortune from these big clubs, I think FFP is a bunch of crap, they just make it sound like these big clubs are being stung but they aren't. I believe there are a lot of corrupt officials that don't care about developing the game, but care about figures they have to meet and cashing in on the end of year wage packet, and bringing the top foreign players in the league and generating more money is all they think about. I mean our own facilities, playing fields and clubs are being taken down as housing developments.

Additionally these big clubs have flashy youth academies big clubs have serve only as a profit centre, if you look at Chelsea and City, they have no youth academy players in the first team, and they will never get a chance as Chelsea and City buy more expensive players abroad.

The English game is in ruins, especially the national squad, if we went back to champions league where there was limited non-EU and foreign players, non of the English teams would have a sniff. But look at other leagues around the world, like Eredivisie, Ajax cannot compete with their youth academy as money is being pumped into all the big leagues and Ajax will lose any of there big players and there squad will not develop as it needs time.

UEFA and the F.A need to be serious and sanction teams taking the mick with wage and Transfer budgets or else we will have to have one European Super League for the big money clubs.