Cornwall Football Forum

Under 19s - lets look at what could be

Noting that was started to be discussed in another thread that was coming to an end, i think this is worthy of its own slot and would be interested in people's views.

The local FA are helping to start up an u19 league. The prev u18 league has not worked because it has followed the same old pattern - arranging games on a sunday morning when most players re feeling a bit off colour, catching up with rest or working.

This new approach is looking at holding games on higher level pitches ( which there is funding for) to hire a pitch and put some funds back into many clubs. The games could be played on a monday night, under floodies, and will not impact with other training or poss commitments.

This means that players who finish their youth 'career' and are making the step from youth to adult football can do so in a controlled and productive manner. It is a given that some players will step straight into a men's team whereas others will spend time on the bench before getting their opportunity. These players will still be getting exposure to football by also playing in the U19 league, developing all the time.

The big issue the county has to face will be should this league work and attract good players (look at the countries who di dwell in the recent WC and see how developed their post youth system is), when a team reaches the max age - they could move as a group into the league system. But - should a team who may be quite technical / light on their feet etc start at the very bottom or should we look at making an entry point into the league system somewhere else???

If we want to keep the status quo, and do what we have always done - we will get what we have always got. If we are really interested in taking talented youth teams on for a few years more, say to U21 eventually, would their development - and ostensibly our county / country's be better served with matching their potential with the right springboard??

The current u19s that Truro have are apparently mostly lads that played in the youth system but then had no where to go once the natural steps were taken away. All Truro are now doing is what many more successful clubs around the county have done for years is to ensure an exit route for their home grown players.

I think they call this grass roots football…………!

I understand what you're saying but I disagree.

99% of the players in this U/19 league will be playing some sort of adult football whether it be in trelawney league or in the south western league. It will be another game for them.

How is a swp side going to feel if they got a game on the Tuesday/Wednesday night and one of their players is playing on the Monday night in an u/19 match?

The whole concept works on the national stage where players are contracted to professional clubs at an early age therefore this enhances their development but down here the majority of those players will already be playing.

In my opinion the CCFA would be better investing money into improving ground facilities that are there so players can turn up on a Saturday afternoon knowing that they have good showers and changing facilities and knowing their valuables will be safely locked away.

I think it would be of benefit to Truro if they were to take the 'cream of the crop' and play in a south west competition with pro clubs but logistically that is tough