Cornwall Football Forum

Interesting headline in the West Briton today ! Re : Falmouth vs St Austell

I was at the game and agree the ref wasn't great, but my problem is the inconsistencies in refereeing. Tuesday evening at Half time John Dent let the official know how he felt in no uncertain terms and due to the position of the changing rooms, right in front of 50 spectators - no action.

Last night in our Junior game ref wasn't very good so one of my players had a moan to the ref letting him no his feelings, no where near as vocal as denty-2 red cards!!!

My player will probably miss 5 or 6 games, can't appeal without video evidence so we are up s**t creek.

I was at the game as a neutral. There were comments from supporters in the stand BEFORE the game started that this ref was poor. So naturally one pays closer attention to the ref than normal. I think his was the worst performance I have ever seen at this level. The game was mostly one-sided for the first half and it seemed St Austell would win at a canter, but a "hold what we have" mentality set in and Falmouth gave it a good go but just fell short of an otherwise undeserved point.

Part of me says give the lad a chance as he is officiating at this level on merit, BUT....He is out of his depth it seems, surly the promotion criteria has to be questioned here? I saw him a few times last season or the one before in the combination league and the performances were average at best.

Although why don't we ask the experts? Any qualified referees watching the game? Thoughts?? His assistants on the night were x2 of the best officials around in my opinion, I'm not sure they'd want to publicly give their opinion on the night but maybe via someone else they could...!?

I was at the game and agree the ref wasn't great, but my problem is the inconsistencies in refereeing. Tuesday evening at Half time John Dent let the official know how he felt in no uncertain terms and due to the position of the changing rooms, right in front of 50 spectators - no action.

Last night in our Junior game ref wasn't very good so one of my players had a moan to the ref letting him no his feelings, no where near as vocal as denty-2 red cards!!!

My player will probably miss 5 or 6 games, can't appeal without video evidence so we are up s**t creek.

This man will be officiating senior football next season I expect if rumours are true..!

From the sounds of it he could not do nothing right!

This is his first season at this level and it is a big step up for any referee. The reporter in the WB was totally out of order. People who buy the paper are not interested in the mistakes the referee made but how the game went. I bet the players made just as much mistakes on the night. It sounded like the reporter wanted to attack the referee by constantly calling him by his surname and not as 'the referee'. Denty never says anything good about a referee anyway. I heard the Fal captain was lucky to stay on the pitch but nothing mentioned about that in the report.

He may have been out of his depth but I am sure he will learn from his experiences and will only get stronger. Good referees do not grow on trees!