Cornwall Football Forum

ref needed sat 15th

Play some games on Sundays....have a few early kick offs....so many easy options to get an official are being overlooked!!!!

Still not sure those options would help...Sunday for example..Sunday League, Vets League Kernow Youth league all require appointed refs. Early kick off Saturdays is an option I suppose...but is a ref going to want to do two games in a day...or rather would they physically be able too with a lot of them being more advanced in years!

Even if yiu only managed a handful of games on a Sunday due to the already mentioned futures wouldn't that be great? Many of the officials who currently do Sundays ONLY do Sundays...so I'm sure quite a few of the officials who don't get Sunday games due to this wouldn't have an issue with doing a Sunday game for a change and once in a while...it's all about finding solutions and thinking positive rather than trying to find reasons not to play games!

If I'm honest it doesn't surprise me that there is a shortage of referees. The CCFA are always advertising for new referees, they are also offering courses at discount prices to get new people on board. I'm not sure whether the offer works, but at least they are trying to do something about it. One problem is a lot of people are put off by it because they see the amount of 'abuse' referees get. And they also see how difficult the job actually is, although it's a lot harder once you actually get out on to that pitch. There is always a solution to problems, in this case we just need to find one.

When it comes to a shortage of referees I'm not sure what the problem is. Too many teams? Or is it that simple, there just aren't enough referees out there. I'd like to see a percentage of games that are called off in Cornwall over a whole month or season. It would be interesting to see what that number would be.

To be fair I think its a big problem now a days with social media sites being regularly used to bash refs etc. Theres always to sides to it.

Here's an example 5 yrs ago u cud do a 2 footed studs showing tackle which is dangerous and the rules of football states RED CARD! And ud b shown it and players would either argue it or leave the field without any fuss.

Now.

Same tackle quite often doesn't even see a yellow as refs dont want the hassle of it and having players getting up in their faces and the risk of being assaulted or after a game being slagged off all over these sites this 1, Facebook or Twitter etc.

Refs who up hold these rules will either be respected by a good understanding player or verbally abused by the ignorant players and said to be card happy etc.

Refs these days are not shown respect these days It must take alot of willingness to be a ref these days. If I was a ref id brake desaplinary records I hate mouthy disrespectful players. Yes as a player iv done it in the past but iv learnt from it and know to keep my opinions to myself regardless if I think im right.

Pointers, the league is a Saturday League not Sundays, people have families they want to spend time with. Older players may have youngsters that they want to watch. As regards the Referee Course, the Trelawny League and CCFA are offering the reduced rate. That is fine apart from one thing. They hold the course in Bodmin. Why not hold it in the west at say cornwall college. I for one could not get to Bodmin to do the course but could certainly get to Camborne

Pointers, the league is a Saturday League not Sundays, people have families they want to spend time with. Older players may have youngsters that they want to watch. As regards the Referee Course, the Trelawny League and CCFA are offering the reduced rate. That is fine apart from one thing. They hold the course in Bodmin. Why not hold it in the west at say cornwall college. I for one could not get to Bodmin to do the course but could certainly get to Camborne

Paul didn't you enquire about becoming a ref but was put off by being told you were to old? , many refs are fed up with the hassle and abuse , work patterns have changed, weekends are now like any day of the week and refs retire , more young people now go to university than before , and other sports are being taken up , surfing , skateboarding , cycling , , it's not about money ,

What a load of rubbish!! A 'Saturday' league....so you've never played an evening game on a mon,tue,wed,thur? Floodlit game on a fri night? Cup final or game on a Sunday? I fully understand about family time and the Sunday league, what I am suggesting though is an answer to play a few games if possible on a Sunday, not set up a new league which is Sundays, just as and when you can't get a referee on a Saturday see if there is a possibility of playing on a Sunday, how hard is that??!!! Everyone needs to stop being so negative and realise that this is a viable solution. The management and club would need to be approached first of all but once Paul Murphy has a list of teams which 'could' play on Sundays that's that! The 'can do' attitude of some people just isn't there anymore which is why clubs are failing within themselves, if YOU all want to play football make the effort rather than shooting down any reasonable and viable solution!

And as for cbfc a red for that has and will always be a red no ref turns a blind eye to these tackles you may just find that some don't see it where as others do. Have you ever been sent off? What for?

Pointers....

Your idea of positive attitude is correct but there are a couple of facts we need to highlight;

1. Some referees only referee on a Saturday.

2. Some referees only referee on a Sunday.

3. Few do both for personal reasons that will not change.

By moving games to a Sunday will only make the shortage worse, not better.

As for the number if referees, give me one reason why anyone in today's game would want to be a referee? Money is not a valid response as you are paid less than the minimum wage, and would take an employer to a tribunal if they treated you the way you are treated!

I look forward to interesting comments with bated breath.....

I personally think that it takes a lot of guts to referee these days, as I'm sure many of you will agree. Potential new recruits will be put off because they will be able to see the amount of abuse referees get. You are always going to be criticised for every decision you make, so it's not an easy job to do. And to be honest, there are a lot of good referees out there as well. Fair play to those who do decide to take up refereeing, because there are a lot of people who wouldn't give it the time of day.

if YOU all want to play football

I'm beginning to question whether people actually do want to play in an organised 11 a side league, or whether instead they would get just as much enjoyment from having a kick around on the beach or at the park? That would leave the "serious" ones to have refs and leagues. The more I read, the more I wonder if there is much enjoyment still!

Pointers....

Your idea of positive attitude is correct but there are a couple of facts we need to highlight;

As for the number if referees, give me one reason why anyone in today's game would want to be a referee? Money is not a valid response as you are paid less than the minimum wage, and would take an employer to a tribunal if they treated you the way you are treated!

O I am sorry I'm guessing you have actually looked into this and it is not possible...? Before you knock it and be as negative about it as others have been why don't you actually look from another point of view which is if you just have x1 referee available to do both a sat and sun or a sun game which couldn't get a referee on a sat you'd have x1 more game played rather than none!!! Get a grip and let's try and get games on not try and find a reason not to play them when no ones even tried!

The real point I'm trying to make is:-

If a game on a sat is cancelled due to no Referee....

Those 2 teams agree they can play the following day.....

A referee is found...

Game on!

Until these options and avenues have been explored I find it very hard to believe you wouldn't be able to find a pot of officials and teams willing to do so! You'll also find teams and officials who are not able to do so, their loss!

Pointers all you do is talk about how many teams are in leagues etc. and then have a pop at people who are involved in the game on a regular basis with management playing etc.

Come on then answer why the referee courses are held in Bodmin and not in East & West. I cant get an answer but you as an expert must have one

What is the difference in travelling to games and travelling to Bodmin to do the course (apart from the match fee)? If there is enough people who want to become a referee in the west then I am sure there will be a course down west. Its only in Bodmin because the building is already paid for.

Pointers all you do is talk about how many teams are in leagues etc. and then have a pop at people who are involved in the game on a regular basis with management playing etc.

Come on then answer why the referee courses are held in Bodmin and not in East & West. I cant get an answer but you as an expert must have one

Excuse me...? I haven't had a 'pop' at anyone? The courses are held in Bodmin as that's where there held...a great point by mrlaw also! If the ccfa laid on a course for you in the west would part of the conditions of you officiating be you can not go as far or past Bodmin?? Do you have a tag? Get a grip and let's get back to trying to resolve the lack of games and not try picking a fight.

I am involved in football on Saturdays, and if you care to read above, under StevieB's post I did enquire about doing the course only to be told by a referee who runs it that I was too old.

I decided that with the shortage I would do the course and then if a referee was needed I could then help out.

You're the expert on everything aren't you. Perhaps you could confirm those dates when the course was held in Wendron.

For your information I have carried out refereeing duties on a number of occasions, one such time refereeing a Combination game until the referee arrived after he got stuck in traffic for an evening game and if I had not done it both teams would have had to get changed and go home as there would not have been enough light if they had waited for the referee.

Dave, it is to do with actually getting there due to transport issues.

The course is on a Friday night Saturday and Sunday. The Friday and Sunday would make it impossible for me to get there.

If they held them at Camborne or better still Mount's Bay I would have done the course by now.

Fair enough, but Pointers is on your case! :)

Pointers....

O I am sorry I'm guessing you have actually looked into this and it is not possible...? Before you knock it and be as negative about it as others have been why don't you actually look from another point of view which is if you just have x1 referee available to do both a sat and sun or a sun game which couldn't get a referee on a sat you'd have x1 more game played rather than none!!! Get a grip and let's try and get games on not try and find a reason not to play them when no ones even tried! On a Saturday you lot don't listen so why should I expect you too on a forum!

One of the officials who takes the course. I would rather not name him. Although the powers that be do know his name

Paul would have been a good ref as he has experience from years of playing ,managing and running the line at swp level also he has reffed kids games , so a good grounding , I know who put him off going for the course , but as Paul has stated as this is is a forum and lots of posters like to remain anonymous I won't name him , transport is an issue , but also he is still involved at club level , I have also reffed kids games and have had abuse at that level from parents , so how does that bode well for players of the future , ? If the parents ( only a minority) can't control themselves what hope is there? I also run the line at combo ( well running more trundle) on sats the foul language is getting worse , and even the simple fouls given are disputed , why would anyone want to pick up the whistle ? On another posting a fellow poster states he has played in different areas of the country and cornwall has a problem , refs are worth their weight in gold let's support them make them welcome , think about our actions on and off the pitch , if it carries on we could all end up with blank sats , and then there would be no forum to debate moan , take the Mickey , or be pains in the ass