Cornwall Football Forum

Afc St Austell v Meva local derby

I feel the need to comment on the St Austell v Mevagissey match in which the referee and home assistant did their level best to spoil a very good game. The game started well with both sides producing excellent football with Mevagissey the slightly better side.

The game was spoilt by a referee who deemed it necessary to produce yellow cards at will. The most creative player on the pitch was clearly fouled but tried to stay on his feet and in doing so was deemed to have fouled the player and was yellow carded, but no yellow produced or the St Austell player.

With roughly 20mins left the same player runs into the box, is clearly fouled again by the defending St Austell player, even the home manager thought he had given away a penalty, but to the astonishment of everyone the attacking player was given a 2nd yellow and sent off.

I am not writing this to have a go at referees, that is not my style having been there and done it, I know how difficult it can be, but this was a performance that no one could be proud of. One has to question the integrity of both the ref and the home linesman whose motives appear to be dubious.

Interestingly the away linesman was verbally abused but the ref chose to first of all ignore his flag and when he eventually went over to speak to him, took no further action.

This is the 2nd game I have watched this season so far where the ref has blatantly appeared to influence the game.

The bottom line is football is not about the ref & linesman its about people who want to play football because they enjoy it, so let them without trying to be the centre of attention.

I feel the need to comment on the St Austell v Mevagissey match in which the referee and home assistant did their level best to spoil a very good game. The game started well with both sides producing excellent football with Mevagissey the slightly better side.

The game was spoilt by a referee who deemed it necessary to produce yellow cards at will. The most creative player on the pitch was clearly fouled but tried to stay on his feet and in doing so was deemed to have fouled the player and was yellow carded, but no yellow produced or the St Austell player.

With roughly 20mins left the same player runs into the box, is clearly fouled again by the defending St Austell player, even the home manager thought he had given away a penalty, but to the astonishment of everyone the attacking player was given a 2nd yellow and sent off.

I am not writing this to have a go at referees, that is not my style having been there and done it, I know how difficult it can be, but this was a performance that no one could be proud of. One has to question the integrity of both the ref and the home linesman whose motives appear to be dubious.

Interestingly the away linesman was verbally abused but the ref chose to first of all ignore his flag and when he eventually went over to speak to him, took no further action.

This is the 2nd game I have watched this season so far where the ref has blatantly appeared to influence the game.

The bottom line is football is not about the ref & linesman its about people who want to play football because they enjoy it, so let them without trying to be the centre of attention.

Sorry but if it was Gary Cornish as per the list he is one of the best but he may have been replaced