Cornwall Football Forum

St Austell - Senior Cup Final

AFC St Austell Football Club have been found guilty of failing to control their spectators at this year’s Cornwall Senior Cup final.

Cornwall FA chief executive Dawn Aberdeen confirmed that the Lillywhites have been ‘fined accordingly’ although the county have so far declined to make public the scale of the punishment.

An independent commission held out of the county, by Devon FA, made the decision more than three weeks ago, on August 4.

But until the Cornish Guardian made a press enquiry on Friday about the case, the Cornwall FA had not released any details and nothing has appeared on their website.

AFC St Austell, of the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League premier division, beat holders Bodmin Town in the 2013-14 final at Wadebridge Town’s Bodieve Park ground in April.

But complaints were received by Cornwall FA from several parties about the behaviour of a section of spectators behind one of the goals.

Witnesses reported that Bodmin Town goalkeeper Kevin Miller had been picked out for particular verbal abuse throughout the game, and Cornwall FA president Brian Conyon, in trying to warn some supporters about their behaviour, was the target of abuse himself.

Other witnesses reported that some spectators were seen consuming alcohol inside the ground, which was against Wadebridge Town’s ground rules.

Before the final, which is the county’s showpiece of the local football season, the Cornwall FA staged a presentation on the pitch about their support for the Respect campaign, which among other things, aims to rid the game of abusive language and behaviour.

Read more: http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/AFC-St-Austell-fined-failing-control-spectators/story-22852792-detail/story.html#ixzz3BzZfalPC

Read more at http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/AFC-St-Austell-fined-failing-control-spectators/story-22852792-detail/story.html#yab2zhoujPlE0RTX.99

Or those responsible should have to scrub the decks and then be strung up on the yardarm ! Rumour has it that it was a supporter from another club who threw the bottle I saw it from the stand but unfortunately couldn't see the offender. Keel haul them too !

About time , certain segments of their crowd are very abusive at most homes games too. I would make em walk the plank.

"Other witnesses reported that some spectators were seen consuming alcohol inside the ground, which was against Wadebridge Town’s ground rules."

Where were the stewards to enforce this rule? I can't recall seeing any around the ground?

Its not just Wadebridge rules Dave its in the SWPL Handbook for all grounds not to consume alcohol in the ground!

"Other witnesses reported that some spectators were seen consuming alcohol inside the ground, which was against Wadebridge Town’s ground rules."

Where were the stewards to enforce this rule? I can't recall seeing any around the ground?

Its not just Wadebridge rules Dave its in the SWPL Handbook for all grounds not to consume alcohol in the ground!

The point I was trying to make was more to do with the stewards (or rather lack of them) at the games

I think most alcohol is consumed before the more vocal supporters get to the ground, those who cause trouble are usually found to be supporting clubs who after years in the doldrums start winning a few games, they say every dog has it's day, there are such groups at many clubs. I am in favour of a pint or two on the terraces, I even wrote to the F.A to allow it at Wembley but never got a reply, unfortunately needing to drive my tipple is mostly enjoyed on holiday.

The few must not be allowed to spoil it for the majority of well behaved supporters.

A farce in my opinion - a few points

Firstly, as mentioned before, the "stewarding" was virtually non-existant except in one spot

Secondly, unless supporters are segregated how can anybody know where they are from. They may be supporting St.Austell on the day but be nothing to do with the club, indeed they may be part of another club and simply got involved in the supposed abuse of the Bodmin keeper (who, as also mentioned previously, is quite handy at abusing those behind the goal but that's ok apparently)

Thirdly, St.Austell also played in the Throgmorton Cup Final at Newton Abbot v Parkway. The League's own day. There were large numbers of supporters from both teams mingling together and alcohol freely available outside of the bar at a stall where you got a free can of lager or cider with a burger! People were drinking all around the ground without problems of any sort.

Methinks that had Bodmin won no complaint would have been made by them or the "holier than though" Messrs Gilbert and Miller!

So, apart from numerous St Austell fans being drunk and unruly as well as being downright rude and aggressive .... it's all Kevin Miller's fault along with these so-called interlopers who pretended to be St Austell supporters. Take the blinkers off man and admit your faults.

So, apart from numerous St Austell fans being drunk and unruly as well as being downright rude and aggressive .... it's all Kevin Miller's fault along with these so-called interlopers who pretended to be St Austell supporters. Take the blinkers off man and admit your faults.

Not so sure there were "numerous" or particularly "aggressive", albeit agree though that some of the singing and shouting may have been "rude" and unnecessary, however I still go back to the fact that if the stewardship had been carried out, we wouldn't be writing about it now!

I remember well the Cornwall Senior Cup final at St Blazey in 2009.

Sadly Saltash United lost that final to St Austell 3-2. The behaviour of some of the St Austell "following" on that day was an embarrassement to their club. They were alcohol fuelled and failed to remain the barrier. This resulted in the Saltash United keeper having the ball "knocked" out of his hands.

The stewardship on that day was really non-existent, so sorry CHAIRMAN, St Blazey failed their duties on that day.

Number of years since I was Chairman there, but I know in my time every effort was made to stop beer being taken out of the clubhouse.

Unfortunately there are some misfits who have to be drunk to go anywhere and arrive in that state

Nevertheless host clubs are responsible for the behaviour and that includes St Blazey if they were at fault.