Cornwall Football Forum

future management

fenman

As this forum has many contributors with a sensible response how about this for discussion ?

I was watching the Millwall v Cardiff game on Murdochs rip off on Saturday and the question crossed my mind as to where the British managers ( or whatever name they go by now ) will come from . I don't see any of the present British players at the top level wanting it because they'll be financially secure and I don't honestly believe that many of them have the passion for the game .When you look at the past almost all the great managers were ex players .I know many of you will suggest that we will have foreign managers , but will the same thing apply with them ie financial security destroying passion .Most of the present managers , British and foreign , are people who played in the days of a reasonable rather than an extortionate wage . Possibly it's a nonsensical question but I'm sure we'll get some suggestions .

Sorry I meant to say on Sky , typing error .

Good post have been scratching my head on this one , most ex pros seem to enter the media , Neville , Owen ,collymore shearer to name some , shearer had a go but was not up to it ,perhaps it's due that it's not the money but not wanting to start at the bottom and work their way up ,the old guard are dying out like redknap , Hodgson,, and fergie , , perhaps young clough might be a good shout , Rodgers at Liverpool is doing ok , ,but there are not many young Brits , that I can't think of , but I await others to educate me

The words English and Managers could be amalgamated to England Manager.

The next round of the Capital One cup throws up a tie featuring England's former Manager v Englands next one.

Steve McLaren (Derby County) v Jose' Mourinho (Chelsea)

I think Roy Hodgson will do the European championship in two years time, then hand over a developing squad.

to Jose'

If you honestly think the FA would ask Mourinho to manage England you're deluded

He has recently mentioned his ambition to manage at international level, he appears to be getting less controversial.

Spain wouldn't ask him, Portugal haven't the strength in depth for his ambitions, I think his choice would be England.

Deluded or not, I hope to still be around to see it I am RIGHT. :yahoo:

The words English and Managers could be amalgamated to England Manager.

The next round of the Capital One cup throws up a tie featuring England's former Manager v Englands next one.

Steve McLaren (Derby County) v Jose' Mourinho (Chelsea)

I think Roy Hodgson will do the European championship in two years time, then hand over a developing squad.

to Jose'

mour noooooooooooo, the biggest ego and miserable bloke , his interviews are always dismissive , no one can't dispute his cv but England manager no chance

It's a good question. Trying to think of any top manager that was a top player. I don't think the two go hand-in-hand. Maybe the future will be the likes of Nigel Clough (who everyone knows because of his famous dad), or someone like that who did not make it to the very top, but played a good career at a decent level. Hopefully, one or two will have the enthusiasm to learn coaching methods they participate in whilst playing, take up managing at a relatively early age, and turn into top managers.

It's a good question. Trying to think of any top manager that was a top player. I don't think the two go hand-in-hand. Maybe the future will be the likes of Nigel Clough (who everyone knows because of his famous dad), or someone like that who did not make it to the very top, but played a good career at a decent level. Hopefully, one or two will have the enthusiasm to learn coaching methods they participate in whilst playing, take up managing at a relatively early age, and turn into top managers.

Brian clough in his day was a top scorer until injury stopped his career early , not sure how many he scored but if my memory is correct from what I have read he had a good ratio , but he didn't get a run with England , perhaps some states could jog my memory