Jump to content
Cornwall Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Collings

Duchy Premier withdrawal

Recommended Posts

I'm sorry to have to report that Launceston College Phoenix has withdrawn from the Duchy Premier Division.

I guess the player roundabout has struck again to a degree but probably a combination of factors. 

This wont affect relegation as the fixtures have not commenced yet, so it will still be two going down. It may open the door for an additional promotion place from Division One of course.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed a combination of factors, we have been operating on a small tightknit squad for past few seasons usually 11-15 regularly available and we played with bare 11 for a handful of games last season. A few have gone off to other clubs and a few have work shift commitments and family commitments that don't allow regular training and games and some are at uni. Launceston seems to have an abundance of clubs at the moment and i think all have struggled at some point to raise a side in past few seasons. Lifton, Altarnun and Launceston all struggled on to their credit and finished the season last year. We just couldn't see a way that we were going to be able to guarantee a side week in week out let alone compete in what looks to be the best duchy premier league in years and not to be a part of that is gutting. Instead of messing teams and the league about we took what we think is the best decision and withdraw. Indeed some have gone to play at Launceston 2s and all are good enough to be playing at that level. It should help them get back to the top half of the east cornwall premier and it will hopefully release some pressure on any of the other clubs looking to guarantee their future.

The club may reform in the future if the number of players increases. or may join forces with another club to bring the Launceston college Phoenix ethos back so you may not have seen the last of us yet.

On the plus side I will get the chance to indulge in some local football without the stress of running a club :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cornwall footie said:

Indeed a combination of factors, we have been operating on a small tightknit squad for past few seasons usually 11-15 regularly available and we played with bare 11 for a handful of games last season. A few have gone off to other clubs and a few have work shift commitments and family commitments that don't allow regular training and games and some are at uni. Launceston seems to have an abundance of clubs at the moment and i think all have struggled at some point to raise a side in past few seasons. Lifton, Altarnun and Launceston all struggled on to their credit and finished the season last year. We just couldn't see a way that we were going to be able to guarantee a side week in week out let alone compete in what looks to be the best duchy premier league in years and not to be a part of that is gutting. Instead of messing teams and the league about we took what we think is the best decision and withdraw. Indeed some have gone to play at Launceston 2s and all are good enough to be playing at that level. It should help them get back to the top half of the east cornwall premier and it will hopefully release some pressure on any of the other clubs looking to guarantee their future.

The club may reform in the future if the number of players increases. or may join forces with another club to bring the Launceston college Phoenix ethos back so you may not have seen the last of us yet.

On the plus side I will get the chance to indulge in some local football without the stress of running a club :)

Wish you all the best. A real shame its ended like this after all the hard work to get there but theres alot of teams around these days and there will be many more that have to do what youve done. Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, cornishlegend said:

Wish you all the best. A real shame its ended like this after all the hard work to get there but theres alot of teams around these days and there will be many more that have to do what youve done. Good luck. 

Yes I'm sure we wont be the last this season, The club had a really good run starting in the kinglsey league wining 22 out of 22, duchy 5 and 1 runners up duchy 4 winners and a duchy cup final appearance and finishing 4th behind 3 very established clubs last season with better facilities and resources than us what pretty awesome, ultimately as a club we couldn't really progress further other than winning the premier division as we couldn't possibly apply for any promotion due to not meeting the criteria. we had very good young players with the desire to progress further so by folding it allows them to take that step on which is good in a way as they were loyal which is rare and didn't just go off at the first opportunity which they could have Launceston 2s have been scraping by for 2 seasons and have been sniffing around for our players. We achieved what the club started for taking young players giving them a chance and game time to progress through the football ladder the only problem was we didn't have a good enough feed to sustain a solid future I think the low number of youth players entering men's football is a real concern.            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cornwall footie said:

Indeed a combination of factors, we have been operating on a small tightknit squad for past few seasons usually 11-15 regularly available and we played with bare 11 for a handful of games last season. A few have gone off to other clubs and a few have work shift commitments and family commitments that don't allow regular training and games and some are at uni. Launceston seems to have an abundance of clubs at the moment and i think all have struggled at some point to raise a side in past few seasons. Lifton, Altarnun and Launceston all struggled on to their credit and finished the season last year. We just couldn't see a way that we were going to be able to guarantee a side week in week out let alone compete in what looks to be the best duchy premier league in years and not to be a part of that is gutting. Instead of messing teams and the league about we took what we think is the best decision and withdraw. Indeed some have gone to play at Launceston 2s and all are good enough to be playing at that level. It should help them get back to the top half of the east cornwall premier and it will hopefully release some pressure on any of the other clubs looking to guarantee their future.

The club may reform in the future if the number of players increases. or may join forces with another club to bring the Launceston college Phoenix ethos back so you may not have seen the last of us yet.

On the plus side I will get the chance to indulge in some local football without the stress of running a club :)

Nice to see such a sensible and considered response/explanation.

From entry into Duchy Five to fourth place in Duchy Premier in seven (i think) seasons  is a pretty damn good record - well done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad day for the Alumni: a thoroughly likeable and respected club.The fact that they have endured sub-standard facilities for all of their tenure,speaks volumes for their

togetherness.As cornwall footie pointed out,small village clubs in the shadow of Pennygillam have struggled to keep going-I remember Southgate had a very

good youth structure not so long ago!

Sadly,I can't see a return for LCP-I don't recall any club that folded ever returning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Columbia said:

It is more and more difficult to gain the commitment needed to keep a football club going so I fear that several more will fold in coming seasons. Not sure what the answer is 

This will go on and on. The priblem is the younger generation coming through dont seem to have the same buzz for football these days. Theres many people out there that put all there time into running it and not getting the commitment back so packing it in. We cant blame it on the new teams coming up coz theres just as.many teams pulling out. What is the answer to sorting it? I think it will be very hard to resolve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2017 at 20:52, cornishlegend said:

This will go on and on. The priblem is the younger generation coming through dont seem to have the same buzz for football these days. Theres many people out there that put all there time into running it and not getting the commitment back so packing it in. We cant blame it on the new teams coming up coz theres just as.many teams pulling out. What is the answer to sorting it? I think it will be very hard to resolve. 

half the problem is the kids in youth football get told "its not about the winning its the taking part that counts" they don't make training drills and games competitive anymore and when they get to adult football they don't care one bit, a big ugly centre half gives them a hard time and they go off crying, When I was 16 if I made an error (usually a costly one being a keeper) I would take the criticism learn from it and move on I'd be off till training but i didn't turn up on a Saturday to lose that was my attitude anyway unlike the kids nowadays.            

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×