Cornwall Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
leedsunited

This past weekend's friendly fixtures

Thought as there is no snooker practice tonight I thought I would see if we could get some responses from this weekends pre season games. I notice both Saltash & Parkway did very well in keeping a respectable scoreline against Plymouth Argyle yesterday. Bodmin had our first fixture of the new season on Friday evening convincingly beating Porthleven at Priory Park 5-0. Some new faces in the squad, due to a lot of the beys from the Bodmin of old moving on to pastures new. A good performance & in the end, with us being a.new team, & as a mark of respect to new Port boss Alan Carey (& what he achieved at Bodmin in times gone by) Bodmin just played keep ball instead of banging in a few more at the end to keep it at just the 5 goals.

Result of the weekend to newly promoted Stoke Gabriel beating a Torquay Utd team of trialists 5-2! Sure I heard Jamie Lowry made an appearance for Torquay also?

17 minutes ago, Mike Odgers said:

Match showing as cancelled on the SWPL Pre season fixture page

If you mean on the all in pre season friendlies list on announcements sub-forum : this was amended back as being on when advised by Penryn on Saturday.

Busy on Saturday so had a look at Bodmin on Friday night and as Leeds has said they do look very strong again. Two good finishes from the youngster Seymour? Experienced journeyman striker Ben Watson with a debut tap in and a brilliant strike in off the woodwork from Harry Evans. Can't remember the other goal, ginger midfield lad was it? Can see Bodmin being right up there again this season, will take a good side to beat them, will be interested to see Parkway though. Thought Porthleven looked decent especially going forward and had a couple good half chances at 2-0, could well be challenging in the West Division? 

Like Sticker Forever I went along on Friday just 2 be nosey at Bodmin new squad. Yes they played some nice football but in my opinion opposition was nothing 2 write home about. My main concern is the forward line. Doesn't look in same bracket as. Parkway, Tavistock and St AUSTELL unless there's more signings in pipeline

3 hours ago, paul pearce said:

Like Sticker Forever I went along on Friday just 2 be nosey at Bodmin new squad. Yes they played some nice football but in my opinion opposition was nothing 2 write home about. My main concern is the forward line. Doesn't look in same bracket as. Parkway, Tavistock and St AUSTELL unless there's more signings in pipeline

I also went along to watch the game, anything to get away from that Love Island crap on the telly!!! Think bodmin looked strong, not overly convinced by their strikers mind despite the goals scored. Evans' strike the highlight of the game. Leedsunited doing Porthleven a disservice by saying "out of respect bodmin kept it to 5-0"... try telling that to the boy Hopcroft up front. Typical Leedsunited trying to make Bodmin out to be better than they are. Will be up there but will finish behind Parkway and Tavi. Porthleven looked fitter imo, unsure on quality though

Good first work out for the lads at Roche tonight against a good workmanlike team who looked a half decent side in stages. The lad Geachy at the back for them looked a good player at East Cornwall level I thought. Jack Bowyer carried on where he left off last season with a first half hat-trick and probably could have had a treble hat-trick on another day!! Dragged a few wide, blazed a couple over when clean through and some good saves denying him but he looked sharp. Frankie McAvoy with a brace, his second was the goal of the game with a dipping volley and a goal from the ever impressive Andrew Butler alongside Martyn Duff in midfield sealing the win. New lad Tyler Cheshire looked quick but wasted a couple great chances but this is the time to get the rust out the system and I think we will be okay next season in the Premier league. Maybe another defender needed but plenty of talent in the midfield and up front positions. 

9 hours ago, Sticker Forever said:

Good first work out for the lads at Roche tonight against a good workmanlike team who looked a half decent side in stages. The lad Geachy at the back for them looked a good player at East Cornwall level I thought. Jack Bowyer carried on where he left off last season with a first half hat-trick and probably could have had a treble hat-trick on another day!! Dragged a few wide, blazed a couple over when clean through and some good saves denying him but he looked sharp. Frankie McAvoy with a brace, his second was the goal of the game with a dipping volley and a goal from the ever impressive Andrew Butler alongside Martyn Duff in midfield sealing the win. New lad Tyler Cheshire looked quick but wasted a couple great chances but this is the time to get the rust out the system and I think we will be okay next season in the Premier league. Maybe another defender needed but plenty of talent in the midfield and up front positions. 

I really like the lad Bowyer, so much pace that defenders cant handle him! Granted he misses a few chances but he also sticks them away at crucial times. Sticker will do well to keep him if he continues to score in the prem. Not sure on the lad Duff but with Ben, Sam and Butler in the midfield, you'll be more than okay in the top division. Will definitely surprise a few

1 hour ago, SCFC said:

I really like the lad Bowyer, so much pace that defenders cant handle him! Granted he misses a few chances but he also sticks them away at crucial times. Sticker will do well to keep him if he continues to score in the prem. Not sure on the lad Duff but with Ben, Sam and Butler in the midfield, you'll be more than okay in the top division. Will definitely surprise a few

Funny how people can all see the same game differently when it comes to picking out players.  

Putting things in perspective, Sticker a SWPL Prem side playing a Roche team from 3 leagues lower and made up with a few returning injured players - there was only one outcome and it was more about performances in a first preseason (that said Roche did create some good chances).

The lad Bowyer has real class, but he missed at least 6 'gilt edge' chances - he won't get that many chances in a league game during the season so needs to work the rust off quickly. The lads Mc Avoy and Bultler looked good, but for me the most classy player was Duff in midfield, good feet, vision and distribution. Was also impressed by the lad Kenny, good pace an distribution. However a lot of others, purely on last nights performance need to get themselves firing again - Sticker had a big squad there and some players will need to improve to keep their places. 

Sticker won't  surprise teams next season as I am sure every Prem team will show them the greatest of respect on their 2016/17 performance and I am sure they will do well at the higher standard, but they dropped off a bit last season having won the league comfortably and need to regain their form to finish a realistic mid table. A good team to watch as they play nice football and I look forward to watching them again soon. 

51 minutes ago, Bobjfh said:

Funny how people can all see the same game differently when it comes to picking out players.  

Putting things in perspective, Sticker a SWPL Prem side playing a Roche team from 3 leagues lower and made up with a few returning injured players - there was only one outcome and it was more about performances in a first preseason (that said Roche did create some good chances).

The lad Bowyer has real class, but he missed at least 6 'gilt edge' chances - he won't get that many chances in a league game during the season so needs to work the rust off quickly. The lads Mc Avoy and Bultler looked good, but for me the most classy player was Duff in midfield, good feet, vision and distribution. Was also impressed by the lad Kenny, good pace an distribution. However a lot of others, purely on last nights performance need to get themselves firing again - Sticker had a big squad there and some players will need to improve to keep their places. 

Sticker won't  surprise teams next season as I am sure every Prem team will show them the greatest of respect on their 2016/17 performance and I am sure they will do well at the higher standard, but they dropped off a bit last season having won the league comfortably and need to regain their form to finish a realistic mid table. A good team to watch as they play nice football and I look forward to watching them again soon. 

Football is a funny old game!

The result given Roche's league position isnt a surprise, should and could've been more if Bowyer could finish slightly better. Maybe as he knew he'd have plenty of chances he wasnt so clinical so i expect if hes got a chance against higher opposition, he'll have less time to think about it so will probably score. 

I like the lad Duff in the West division however, for me, hes a bit small and doesnt really impact the game as much as players like Ben, Sam, Mcavoy, Butler and Kenny especially with his physique and pace. I always find that when players play against a team so many leagues below, its difficult to shake off the rust as you never really have to get out of second gear to convincingly win the game.

Really am looking forward to seeing them next year, will hopefully get the respect they deserve from the other sides