Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish

Trelawny League clubs Support for Threemilestone 2nd Team

16 posts in this topic

Hi All,

i know we will get a variety of comments/support/accusations/help after this post but I wanted to ask for some support from Trelawny league clubs at the AGM next month for Threemilestone to set up the 2nd team for next season......here are the reasons why we have applied and why we need your support

1. TMS 2nds folded this season due to lack of players in first team and so 2nd team players were being asked to step up to Prem standard and as a huge step the first team suffered and the players did not enjoy playing in a higher standard and being beaten heavily every week so they walked away from football.

2. Myself and Mark Woolcock took over 7 weeks ago and gave the club a huge boost with our knowledge, training style and motivation which saw the firsts move from having to cancel games as only 6 players available halfway through season, to us selecting teams in the last 6 weeks from availability of 23 players all wanting to be part of the revival at TMS

3. Myself and Mark coached the Truro Devils U16 side and have great links to the Truro Quattro U16 side, where at least 10 of these lads are wanting to play adult football next season, and want to play their first season under the comfort and security of a club with people they know and trust, (yes that is me and Mark 😀 )

4. I believe that Newbridge are pulling out of league? If so that is one of the few clubs in the lower divisions that play in and around Truro, also leaves a vacancy at Malpas. These players are welcome to join TMS and help form two strong sides for next season in Div 1 and hopefully Div 4, otherwise we could see some of these players leaving football or having to travel miles to play their hobby

5. We are also going to be looking for New players to join us at pre-season training starting 8th June....early to get fitness levels up and to build a strong squad ethos for hopefully a title challenge in Div 1 and Div 4.

so PLEASE we welcome your support and votes at the AGM in June

P.S. Any new players who want to come and train with us pre-season let me know......especially a centre forward for our Div 1 challenge 😉⚽️

Guys - totally support what you are doing and hopefully TMS have turned a corner, with a good youth policy. You will have a job to convince some clubs at the AGM, which is probably why you are getting in early on the forum and that makes sense. The issues that will be raised at the AGM are going to be:

1. Sustainability - clubs will be weary with recent history and although all local teams know the reason, some will want to be convinced that you can sustain 2 teams at opposite ends of the leagues.  Relying on so many young players brings its own issues 

2. Have you confirmed that Malpas is available (if that's where you would look to play) and have you booked it with council - I know coming through the Youth leagues you will have the contacts there but need to have that nailed down, along with alternatives if bad weather.

3. Referees are scarce, as you know. If you have a club qualified referee, again it will help at the AGM.

If you can address those three points at the AGM, as you will be given an opportunity to address the clubs before asked to leave the room whilst the clubs vote, then I can't see you having any problems.

Also, have you considered the Dutchy league for your second team - it probably wouldn't interest you, but remember you can cross register players - if there is any chance of repetition of that happened to the first team and second team players being asked to play too high - at least if seconds in Dutchy, league rules would not force you to fold the strong second team in lieu of the weak first team - Div 1 is going to be very tough next season. Just something to consider.

addick1 likes this

Not only is there just youth players interested, there is a fair few numbers/older guys wanting to play. I've been at the club for 6 seasons now and will probably make it a 7th. I've got every faith in Brian and mark and I do really think their way of running things will turn the club around and a second team will be very beneficial. Would love to see support from other clubs, as I think personally it will work!

can i ask why TMS do not play at their 'old' ground? seems like they have the right idea on paper, the Trelawny AGM will be an interesting one this year with 5-6 new teams wanting to enter, a couple of which have only 'folded' / pulled out of the league in the last season or two so i can hazard a guess many clubs will be wondering why circumstances have drastically changed over this short period and be cautious in voting them into the league, understandably to as they will potentially be the ones losing out on players and also run the risk of voting a team in only for them to go down the same route again and not fulfil fixtures etc.

57 minutes ago, Sijames said:

can i ask why TMS do not play at their 'old' ground? seems like they have the right idea on paper, the Trelawny AGM will be an interesting one this year with 5-6 new teams wanting to enter, a couple of which have only 'folded' / pulled out of the league in the last season or two so i can hazard a guess many clubs will be wondering why circumstances have drastically changed over this short period and be cautious in voting them into the league, understandably to as they will potentially be the ones losing out on players and also run the risk of voting a team in only for them to go down the same route again and not fulfil fixtures etc.

Some good points raised by Bobjfh and also Sijames......

We are working with the Parish Council to move back to our Home ground at TMS......previously the Parish council were keen to keep the field for public use only with no football....but Ian Jay and the club have been working very hard in the background to change opinion and gain support from the council and community, (huge support from community). If we get back to TMS pitch then the future would be VERY bright.

In regard to player numbers, we have already had 23 players available for the last 6 games of season, we can add to that another 10+ from our 2 Truro youth teams, (who have been together since U7's to U16's and are great friends and love playing football....and have already had their parents asking when they can sign on). Also Newbridge look like pulling out of league so at least 11 players there that will be looking to stay around Truro area to play their football....... Can we register a third team ;)

The biggest thing that people have said is....what a really good feeling is being created once again at TMS, on and off the pitch....good times are coming again and a second team is needed to satisfy demand for players....

we do have a qualified referee who would be keen to help/support the second team if elected and at present Malpas have availability for at least one more team, (potentially 2 if Newbridge do fold)

Fingers crossed for your support :smiley20:

B_D, Newbridge Man and Tempo like this

I competed against TMS as a player when I gained a pound or two  and a small belly😂& have managed against them on many occasions & Fish what you are attempting to do is great I especially believe youth players should start in junior football and play at least one season unless they are really good to play combo and up etc and those players should stick together or as many as you can. However I experienced your first team leaving for Carharrack a few seasons back and leaving your club in big trouble. Although you did so well as a club to continue for as long as you did this happens all the time , I know. I can see if rumours are to be true a certain team back on there knees very soon for exactly the same thing. As Secretary of Holmans my vote will be to stop anymore sides entering the leagues. We struggled with our 2 s all season for the area we are in for players , but this is just my opinion. I do however wish you well with your application even if I don't back it. 👍

Fish - I think Marksy has summed it up perfectly, all the clubs will want you to succeed as TMS is held in high regard, but the clubs have also seen teams fold year on year (not so bad this year though). That is why your 'sales pitch' has to be so precise. 

Whilst Newbridge are folding there is absolutely no guarantee that they will go to TMS as other clubs have put in bids and as East for Trelawney the players can play Dutch as well. 

The problem at TMS was the first team and whilst relegated may still be in too high a league at Div 1 for the players you have (absolutely no disrespect intended) - to get 23 at every game is great but you still lost 5 out of 6 last games. Maybe a request to drop to Div2 for the firsts with a request for a second team may show a more complete picture of a club realistically regrouping to move forward - difficult I know. 

MARKSY likes this

Really difficult descision for the clubs because in recent seasons clubs have folded and not come back. Threemilestone seems to be a unique situation for whatever reason there first team left leaving the club with 2 teams and not enough players. Credit to the club they tried to carry on but could not run 2 teams. Now someone has come to their rescue with young players( every clubs dream). From what has been said the club seem to be getting things sorted off the pitch as well with a welcome return to their home ( hopefully with 2 changing rooms).In my opinion they should be congratulated on rising from the ashes and hopefully moving forward. My only concerns are where have these young players come from was there a men's team and most importantly progression to mens football if so is it a repeat of what the old 1st team squad did in reverse, if there was not a chance of progression then good luck from me because we need to encourage as many youngsters into football as possible

I've just seen on Facebook that you are advertising (to recruit) a full committee for TMS... Isn't it better that you have these people in the chairs with their feet firmly under the table before you start thinking about putting another team in? These people will be the ones that run and control your club, yet at this moment in time it's non-existent. Isn't it better to have solid foundations in place before you start building; otherwise your project is likely to collapse very quickly.

I personally fully support teams/clubs wanting to join the league but they have to a structure to them and a plan. Grounds, kit, a committee etc. You are more likely to get accepted into the league if you can assure everyone that you have the means to sustain.

1 hour ago, B_D said:

I've just seen on Facebook that you are advertising (to recruit) a full committee for TMS... Isn't it better that you have these people in the chairs with their feet firmly under the table before you start thinking about putting another team in? These people will be the ones that run and control your club, yet at this moment in time it's non-existent. Isn't it better to have solid foundations in place before you start building; otherwise your project is likely to collapse very quickly.

I personally fully support teams/clubs wanting to join the league but they have to a structure to them and a plan. Grounds, kit, a committee etc. You are more likely to get accepted into the league if you can assure everyone that you have the means to sustain.

Good and fair point.

But we do have a strong committee in place as if not we wouldn't have got back to where we are now. 

Yes it's advertised on Facebook but that is more to meet the rules of an agm where it must be advertised