Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ECPL

PROMOTION AND RELEGATION FROM AND TO ECPL

39 posts in this topic

As it stands the ECPL has a maximum constitution of 32 teams. There are 15 in the Premier Division and 13 in Division One.

If Vospers Oak Villa were to be relegated from the Peninsula League then they would automatically enter ECPL Premier Division. This would bring the Premier Division up to its maximum of 16 teams. This as I understand it would mean that two teams would be relegated from the Premier Division. (This is between St Teath, Launceston, Liskeard Athletic and possibly St Blazey)

Division One would be able to promote the top two teams leaving 13 teams (2 being relegated from premier division). Plymouth Parkway will be joined by either Bodmin Town, Looe Town, Morwenstow, Mevagissey or Elburton Villa).

One team is allowed to be promoted from Duchy League which looks like St Minver. This leaves two vacancies. One is believed to be from Plymouth and they have all the facilities required by the league and Newquay from the Cornwall Combination League. To retain senior status Newquay could transfer over from that league – but would have to go into division one. (don't forget Newquay based team Godolphin were once in the ECPL). This would bring the compliment back up to 32 teams. 16 in each division.

Problem solved

Below Step 7, the FA cannot dictate which League relegated Clubs opt to go to. In theory they could choose any of the SWPL Feeder Leagues!

It has to be the ECPL as the P&D league is not a feeder league. 

32 teams? We'll believe it when we see it.

Why is it that someone always has to run down the ECPL.  Get a life Richard.  What will be will be. 

ECPL - do you mean the P&D league is not a feeder league to the SWPL West or East league? 

If so, can you tell me how Plymouth Marjon are in the SWPL West after winning the P&D Premier Division last season?

Devon29 likes this

I understand there was a vacancy which Marjons applied for and were accepted. Could be wrong though.  Perhaps the SWPL can advise on that one.  

Another one into the mix, if Blazey's Peninsula side are relegated into Peninsula West, will the ECPL side have to drop a division to maintain the two division gap? 

Is that a rule Matt? Look at Liskeard this season for example, I just thought it was that you couldn't have 2 teams in the same league structure (SWPL/ECL)

The South West Peninsula League and East Cornwall League are two separate leagues. The pyramid system officially ends at the SWPL. The leagues below are feeder leagues but not part of the national pyramid system.

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

Another one into the mix, if Blazey's Peninsula side are relegated into Peninsula West, will the ECPL side have to drop a division to maintain the two division gap? 

No. Look at the number of West teams who have a reserve team in the Cornwall Combination League.

It would appear that if, and we mean if Vospers Oak Villa are relegated then they can choose to drop into the ECPL>  I cant imagine them wanting to join a park league.  But we will have to wait and see.

10 hours ago, ECPL said:

I understand there was a vacancy which Marjons applied for and were accepted. Could be wrong though.  Perhaps the SWPL can advise on that one.  

P&D are indeed a feeder league to SWPL.

There are strong teams in both ECPL & P&D Premier so either will be a tough test for promotion back into SWPL Div One.

Windmill (Devon Premier Cup Finalists), Mount Gould and The Navy to mention a few all can/have beat SWPL sides over recent years and should never be taken lightly no matter where they play. 

Granted facilities in ECPL are better but travel is more so P&D with less travel could be a better option to regroup?

21 hours ago, foz06 said:

ECPL - do you mean the P&D league is not a feeder league to the SWPL West or East league? 

If so, can you tell me how Plymouth Marjon are in the SWPL West after winning the P&D Premier Division last season?

http://thepyramid.info/asp/pyramid3.asp 

It appears that P&D are a SWPL feeder league. See the link above.

1 hour ago, ECPL said:

Blimey.  That is huge.  I had no idea it was so complicated but well presented and easy to follow. . 

It's a bit overwhelming at first but once you find our area of the pyramid its easy to follow. By the way I love the ECPL and have been known to stand on the sidelines at a few games! 

23 hours ago, ECPL said:

Why is it that someone always has to run down the ECPL.  Get a life Richard.  What will be will be. 

The P&D is definitely a feeder league to the Peninsula League, and it's getting stronger all the time. From what I've seen of it this season, I'd put the top few teams behind only those of the Cornwall Combination and the Devon & Exeter League. The bottom end of the top division may well be a different story though.

It's not so much running down the ECPL, but I don't think the expansion to two divisions has been worth it. When it was a single division I found it a really enjoyable competition, and used to watch games in it virtually every week. Not now. More and more reserve sides, more and more Plymouth sides, never once (so far) reaching the 32 teams it was designed for. Nothing against Nanpean Rovers (I love my visits there) but any team that finishes bottom of the league 5 times in 6 seasons (and in the bottom two eight times in a row) should have been relegated, and that they haven't been says a lot about the league.

I'll get a life when the football season is over and I can relax. Between now and then there's games to watch, tables to collect and web pages to update.

Willow Tree and Keith B like this

19 hours ago, Willow Tree said:

The South West Peninsula League and East Cornwall League are two separate leagues. The pyramid system officially ends at the SWPL. The leagues below are feeder leagues but not part of the national pyramid system.

No. Look at the number of West teams who have a reserve team in the Cornwall Combination League.

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying 

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying 

Think that two league/step thing is for promotion, so we can't go up cos our first team are in the same step. For us to go up our first team would have to go western league. 

I assume if our first were relegated two years in a row in theory we would have to drop to duchy prem with the thirds dropping to duchy1? 

18 minutes ago, chesterfield said:

Why would Newquay swap from the Combo to ecpl the travelling is horrendous!Probus wanted to swap the other way for years.

It would be to Division One and to retain senior status following their impending relegation.

Why would "senior status" be so important to Newquay reserves? It's not like they can enter the Senior Cup. What other implications are there of dropping down into "junior football"? (asked not directly in relation to Newquay, I don't pretend to have any inside information about their preferences, but more of a general thing)

The one big advantage of having both sides at 'senior status' (for any club, I likewise have no knowledge of Newquay's situation) is the freedom to switch players from one team to another.. On top of this you are virtually guaranteed to get a referee for every match and I suppose it is easier to attract players with the 'senior' tag.

17 minutes ago, Paul Collings said:

The one big advantage of having both sides at 'senior status' (for any club, I likewise have no knowledge of Newquay's situation) is the freedom to switch players from one team to another.. On top of this you are virtually guaranteed to get a referee for every match and I suppose it is easier to attract players with the 'senior' tag.

Hopefully you might be able to answer this one Paul regarding the first part of yours above - why should it make any difference, if there is now in effect no "Senior" and "Junior"? 

Both the Trelawny & Duchy Leagues (and also the Junior Cup) have restrictions in their own rules limiting the number of 'higher ranked' players that can be used in any match.

6 hours ago, cornishteddyboy said:

If Newquay go ECPL it will start blurring the edges drawn on the map where the Combo catchment area stops and the ECPL starts.

No more than when Godolphin were in the East Cornwall league.

9 hours ago, Dave Deacon said:

Hopefully you might be able to answer this one Paul regarding the first part of yours above - why should it make any difference, if there is now in effect no "Senior" and "Junior"? 

Once you have one 'junior and one senior side it's getting complicated on how many senior players can be fielded at anyone time in the junior side. And once a player has two appearances for the snr side they are now snr until 28days have passed (I think)?

3 seasons ago I believe torpoint duchy lost the league title for having deducted points for accedentally fielding too many snr players at one time in a mid week game. 

Why is there Senior & Junior status in Cornwall? I don't believe any other county in the country have this? Can't knock it as never been involved in it but just asking the question why have it?

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 19:07, ECPL said:

Fair comment from Richard Rundle. The league hasn't been at its full compliment for several years and his comment about the Plymouth & West Devon League was genuine. I suggest that ECPL shouldn't be so defensive and paranoid, and in his own words, gets a life!

Reading all these posts, makes me gladdened by the enthusiasm evident. Those who say that football's on its last legs, should take heart from the enthusiasm shown in these posts. Well done lads, keep it going. 

Jamesy7 and MattP like this

There is no longer "senior" or "junior" status in Cornwall, although some people find it difficult to move away from referring to Duchy and Trelawny as "Junior". The labels were removed from CCFA rules a few years back and their only mention is now the Senior and Junior Cups. Leagues outside of the NLS can still be ranked in order (of seniorority) but they are all classified as "Recreational Leagues" by the FA.

9 hours ago, ECPL said:

Sorry St John.  Just using common sense.  

I thought that you were very rude to Richard Rundle to be quite frank. Apology not accepted on the basis that I was lead to believe that manners came with age. Clearly not in your case!

Slightly off topic - apologies - but are there too many reserve teams in the ECPL? Would there be a benefit in an SWPL Reserve League?

I must confess to no real definite opinion one way or another. Having the better facilities available to play at is a real plus but can it effect the relegation / promotion issues?

Oh St John.  It was not an apology it was sarcasm.  And Richard.  I am not hiding behind alias.  Everyone knows who I am  .