Cornwall Football Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Keith B

Arsenal and Wenger.

Well I guess the clock is ticking for Wenger. Arsenal thumped in Europe and the hopes of the fans probably dashed again. Whatever the Arsenal board decide, it must be remembered just how much Wenger has done and achieved at the club. His time as manager has brought great and memorable days for the Gunners, but is his time there now over. 

Who eventually will they chose as his successor ? When, years ago they named Wenger as their new manager, most folk said ''who ?'' never having heard of him. He was of course at that time managing a club in the Japanese leagues and, insisting that he fulfilled his contract with that club. Typical of this decent man.

No names have been mentioned yet of course, but there has been speculation as always. The Daily Telegraph mentioned Eddie Howe some weeks ago. Here is a man who, whilst having comparatively little experience at the top level, none the less has achieved great things with Bournemouth, for whom he played of course, taking them from the edge of extinction just a few seasons ago, to the Premier League. Arsenal, it has been suggested, would like Howes squeaky clean image, and the fact that his training methods have produced a good footballing side. His players love him and his one to one training technique, spotting any problems they may have and then bringing out the best in players, is just one of the many reasons for this. Of course at Arsenal, Howe would have much more money at his disposal should he consider it necessary. Would the Gunners go for one of the so called ''big names'' in world football - we will see. I rather think that Bournemouth will be hoping that Howe stays with them. Howe's immediate concern of course is Premier League survival. Interesting days.

The board doesn't want him to go ,  Arsenal are run as a business , Arsene has done great things for the club  with past trophies ,. But the board , Silent Stan , Ivan the terrible , Sir Chips  ect ect are not football men they are bean counters it is about making money , trophies are second and has been ever since the move away from Highbury , when Arsene decides he has had enough it will be his alone to make , it will be hard to give up 8 million a season to run a club , and twenty years is hard to walk away from it has cost him a lot , but Arsenal will still be here when he goes , no player or manager is bigger than the club . The future is up in the air but until he officially steps down  we can only speculate ,. For Arsenal  to start challenging again for titles the fans also need Silent Satan and his cronies to go and sell to someone who wants trophies not money in their bank account ,  but saying that the more you are successful on the pitch the more money rolls into the coffers ,  the players also needs to take a share of the blame they are paid fantastic salary but some aren't earning it ,   afraid that our one world class player Sanchez will be gone , 

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

The board doesn't want him to go ,  Arsenal are run as a business , Arsene has done great things for the club  with past trophies ,. But the board , Silent Stan , Ivan the terrible , Sir Chips  ect ect are not football men they are bean counters it is about making money , trophies are second and has been ever since the move away from Highbury , when Arsene decides he has had enough it will be his alone to make , it will be hard to give up 8 million a season to run a club , and twenty years is hard to walk away from it has cost him a lot , but Arsenal will still be here when he goes , no player or manager is bigger than the club . The future is up in the air but until he officially steps down  we can only speculate ,. For Arsenal  to start challenging again for titles the fans also need Silent Satan and his cronies to go and sell to someone who wants trophies not money in their bank account ,  but saying that the more you are successful on the pitch the more money rolls into the coffers ,  the players also needs to take a share of the blame they are paid fantastic salary but some aren't earning it ,   afraid that our one world class player Sanchez will be gone , 

None of todays players earn the salaries they get - but I get your meaning stevie. If the players got what they were really worth, they would get a real culture shock.

The blame has to rest with player's agents, and, foolish club owners/managers paying their demands. The powers that be, need to stamp out players agents, these parasites that make a pile of money on the back of footballers.

The Arsenal squad that played at home against Man Utd in the 2003/2004 season:-

Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Clichy, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Edu, Ljungberg, Gygan, Reyes, Silva, Henry, Kanu
How many of their current players would replace anyone in that squad?

1 hour ago, Goldeneye said:

Lehmann, Lauren, Campbell, Toure, Clichy, Pires, Bergkamp, Vieira, Edu, Ljungberg, Gygan, Reyes, Silva, Henry, Kanu

Kos and Sanchez  ?.

13 hours ago, Goldeneye said:

What a fantastic team that was. Replacement - maybe the current goalkeeper. Didn't like Lehmann and whilst all keepers make mistakes now and then, Lehmann made too many for me, and, he had an appalling attitude problem. 

12 hours ago, stevieb said:

Kos and Sanchez  ?.

Maybe Sanchez stevie.

Arsenal are not in crisis. Yes, some awful recent results, and questionable performances. But that can be said of a few clubs lately, not just Arsenal. Wengers's recent press conference (after Bayern) was handled exceptionally well. I am guessing that although Arsenal may not end up winning anything this year, like most clubs, their results will improve, and securing another season of CL football will ensure Wenger's reign at Arsenal will continue. You must see beyond the immediate performances and results. The club, as a business, is top notch and in a very good position. Better than most others. And this is largely due to Wenger, and his excellent performance as the main man. Why would the club owners want to get rid of Wenger, a tried and tested expert who knows (and loves) the club like the back of his hand, and install an unknown entity. Look at ManU after Fergie. Look at ManC, with Pep. Look at Liverpool and Klopp. Not exactly setting the world on fire are they. The PL is the most difficult league to win, and to stay in. The consistency of Arsenal at the top is unparalleled, why change it? Good luck to him.

4th x 6 times. 3rd x 5 times. 2nd x 6 times. 1st x 3 times. These are the facts since the PL started. Last time outside top 4 was 20 years ago (1995/6). If you study those figures (try and get some help off someone), you will see that Arsenal have finished in the top 3 a lot more (14 times) than finishing 4th. So I think you mean to say "you are obviously happy with a top 4 finish".

To answer that question, "yes".

I would also be even happier to win it, or the FA Cup, or the CL, or the EFL Cup. Sadly, we can't win the EFL Cup, having been knocked out by finalists, Southampton in the quarter finals (unlike Spurs who were knocked out in the fourth round....snigger). We are still in the other competitions. Seeing Arsenal compete at the top level consistently and competitively all the time is very satisfying. I am happy.

6 hours ago, Mangle said:

4th x 6 times. 3rd x 5 times. 2nd x 6 times. 1st x 3 times. These are the facts since the PL started. Last time outside top 4 was 20 years ago (1995/6). If you study those figures (try and get some help off someone), you will see that Arsenal have finished in the top 3 a lot more (14 times) than finishing 4th. So I think you mean to say "you are obviously happy with a top 4 finish".

I would also be even happier to win it, or the FA Cup, or the CL, or the EFL Cup. Sadly, we can't win the EFL Cup, having been knocked out by finalists, Southampton in the quarter finals (unlike Spurs who were knocked out in the fourth round....snigger). We are still in the other competitions. Seeing Arsenal compete at the top level consistently and competitively all the time is very satisfying. I am happy.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I can see that BULL in the field and he is full of S££££££££££££££££££

1 hour ago, somersetspur said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I can see that BULL in the field and he is full of S££££££££££££££££££

And that field is better known as White Hart Lane! 😀😀😀😀

19 hours ago, Mangle said:

Arsenal are not in crisis. Yes, some awful recent results, and questionable performances. But that can be said of a few clubs lately, not just Arsenal. Wengers's recent press conference (after Bayern) was handled exceptionally well. I am guessing that although Arsenal may not end up winning anything this year, like most clubs, their results will improve, and securing another season of CL football will ensure Wenger's reign at Arsenal will continue. You must see beyond the immediate performances and results. The club, as a business, is top notch and in a very good position. Better than most others. And this is largely due to Wenger, and his excellent performance as the main man. Why would the club owners want to get rid of Wenger, a tried and tested expert who knows (and loves) the club like the back of his hand, and install an unknown entity. Look at ManU after Fergie. Look at ManC, with Pep. Look at Liverpool and Klopp. Not exactly setting the world on fire are they. The PL is the most difficult league to win, and to stay in. The consistency of Arsenal at the top is unparalleled, why change it? Good luck to him.

Crisis? No cross roads ?  Yes .  Spent 100 million in the summer  but the signings haven't made a major improvement yet .   Mangle at this point in time I would take third in the league and the FA cup  ,  Arsenal business model is top notch , can't fault it for a money making machine , but we follow Arsenal  and hope for trophies especially league trophies , agree it is tough league to win  but what about Leicester ?  . The move to the Emirates was sold to the fans that the club with increased revenue  to compete with the best in Europe , I have only been once  but the fans are growing restless  to spend so much money to follow their club , because it is what they put their hard earned cash into  , they have been sold a dream but it is slowly becoming a nightmare ,  Silent Satan , Ivan the terrible and Sir fish and chips   have forgotten a club is about winning not fleecing them through ticket sales .  Let Usmanov on the board or sell up to him. this man is a fan of the club  he is richer than abrovich , he offered an interest free loan to pay of the Emirates so Arsene could invest in the squad , turned down by Satan and crew .  Arsene is 67  he is looking drawn  he has put his heart and soul into the club but even over the last five years football in England has moved on  . 

SSS, your keyboard is playing up. Check the keys, it just keeps typing ZZZZ. Although it could be that you have absolutely nothing to add.

Stevieb, the club will go on with or without Wenger. The fact that most people forget is that changing the manager does not automatically change/improve things. It can make things worse. Fergie was the best manager the PL has ever seen. Look what happened when he left, they are still trying to recover. That could happen to Arsenal. Although it could be that a change brings instant success. No one knows. So, as a business (not a fan) you would be fairly stupid to get rid of Wenger. And, don't read the papers (I never do), listen to exactly what the man himself says, all of it. He is 67, so what. the US President is 70 - and probably in a job that is just as tough as running a successful football team. He has lost none of his passion to get it right, or to win things. Surely you agree. During the time when he was not allowed to spend money (about 8 years), but constantly kept Arsenal performing at the highest level, we owe him a lot. Right now, just because the team has a few bad results, he should be getting our support.

3 hours ago, Mangle said:

SSS, your keyboard is playing up. Check the keys, it just keeps typing ZZZZ. Although it could be that you have absolutely nothing to add.

Stevieb, the club will go on with or without Wenger. The fact that most people forget is that changing the manager does not automatically change/improve things. It can make things worse. Fergie was the best manager the PL has ever seen. Look what happened when he left, they are still trying to recover. That could happen to Arsenal. Although it could be that a change brings instant success. No one knows. So, as a business (not a fan) you would be fairly stupid to get rid of Wenger. And, don't read the papers (I never do), listen to exactly what the man himself says, all of it. He is 67, so what. the US President is 70 - and probably in a job that is just as tough as running a successful football team. He has lost none of his passion to get it right, or to win things. Surely you agree. During the time when he was not allowed to spend money (about 8 years), but constantly kept Arsenal performing at the highest level, we owe him a lot. Right now, just because the team has a few bad results, he should be getting our support.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

16 hours ago, Mangle said:

Obviously very easily pleased....but just as disappointed as us yids when you under perform every year like us.

You just have to wait a bit longer before you realise you are not going to win jack shyte.

Mangle agree about not having much money , but could you at 67  do the same job as you do now ?  I know I couldn't , Arsene replacement would be difficult ,But utd consistently won titles , our club hasn't , look at Chelsea this season we stuffed them at the Emirates , but their New manager ( Conte )  has changed the way they play since and at present they are very hard to beat , our team doesn't seem to learn we make the same mistakes .  Usmanov was stitched up he is the second largest shareholder but can't get on the board , a few seasons back when Lady Bracewell sold her shares to Satan  she realised after that she should have sold them to Usmanov for the good of the club and has stated that puplicly and her family owned shares for years , any decent fan doesn't want him sacked  but perhaps a move upstairs , it will come he can't go on for ever  who to replace ?  Don't know but the club was there before Arsene and before I started supporting them and will be long after he leaves and I move on from this earth , it is Arsenal FC not Arsene  or yanks utd , fans divided Mangle  interesting times ahead , even ex players  who played for him have noticed a change in his demeanour , and comment he is burnt out , personally I don't want him end up I'll  after all he put into the club   , he will always be known as Arsenal greatest manager  but I am afraid father time catches up with us all.

9 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Obviously very easily pleased....but just as disappointed as us yids when you under perform every year like us.

You just have to wait a bit longer before you realise you are not going to win jack shyte.

I notice that age hasn't improved your language older. We're supposed to grow older gracefully sir and at peace with our neighbours, ourselves and God. :)

7 hours ago, Keith B said:

I notice that age hasn't improved your language older. We're supposed to grow older gracefully sir and at peace with our neighbours, ourselves and God. :)

Always had the problem of saying what I'm thinking (and very often what others are thinking)........stress relief it's called.

On 21/02/2017 at 22:58, somersetspur said:

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Spurs North London's finest can't get out the champion league group and then get a second chance and can't beat Ghenk in the losers cup , you must be so proud Cider Spud  and we think we have problems at the Emirates  ,. 9 years and counting since your last cup which was the league cup.    54 years since the last league title. , Your club has a proud history of being yesterday's team or should that be last centuries club. , Well done guys you have outdone yourselves today and Deli Ali sent off the media darling ,. My god you must be choking on your humble pie tonight   .

Nice try older. I'm sure the sell-out Wembley crowd were delighted too. And the Spurs players, their dejected and embarrassed looks at the end of the game a mere ploy to hide the sheer jubilation of the nights efforts to exit the competition. You fool no one, so don't try. I know the emphasis you are aiming at, now that you can concentrate on the league etc etc. No more mid-week matches to tire the lads out (looks at ManU and the long distance mid-week journey they will have to play Rostov). There is no doubt in my mind that the result of Spurs losing this game may well have a positive impact on the league games. But to say you are delighted is rubbish. Arsenal look certain to join Spurs out of the European competition next week. I think all Arsenal can hope for is a good performance, and home win against Bayern. I will not be delighted with that at all. I want them to win every game. But every game they win, especially in a cup competition, is another game they will have to play, and as the season gets into the latter stages, these games tot up and something usually gives (for Arsenal, usually everything bar finishing in the top 4 places).

So as opposed to being delighted, I would expect you are actually a little downbeat, but looking positively at the fact that no more mid week games will help. However, you need to consider this result more fully. Dele Alli seems unable to learn from past situations, and lasts night tackle was horrendous. He needs to change that aspect of his game. And the depth of your squad is very questionable. Unable to beat a team like Gent over 2 legs is almost mind-blowing. It's not as if you played a second-string, that was it, you gave it your best shot, and came up well short. I believe Wembley is your "home" next season, that spells trouble at this point, and I expect there is considerable worry in the Spurs camp. Stoke at the weekend at the Lane, not easy, especially off the back of last night.

Delighted? Rubbish. Be honest for once.

And now.....cue the short reply that contains no substance, and that fact that I over analyse and stuff like that. He he he  

15 hours ago, TheolderIgetthebetterIwas said:

Spurs out of the Europa cup - delighted :yahoo:

You know fellas - I can't believe that I'm alone in hoping that all ''British'' clubs do well in Europe. It has to be good for the English and Scottish leagues if our clubs do well in Europe. Good for the clubs, good for English and Scottish football and good for our economy. So, I cheer on all our clubs in European games. Am I alone in this thought and wish ?

Yes, we all know about the North London, Liverpool and Manchester rivalry etc, but come on chaps, be a little more forward thinking.

If we are in it....I want to win it, if we are out then I am ....shall I say happy rather than delighted.

Genuinely not bothered about being out a competition that has in my opinion messed us up every year we've been in it.

As for honesty, "be honest for once".....steady there boy - straight as a die...don't EVER think otherwise.

Here's some honesty for you....Spurs won't win the league, I've already stated my hopes for this season....second place and assenhole 5th, boy oh boy would I be delighted with that....NOW we have a chance of that happening.

8 minutes ago, Keith B said:

You know fellas - I can't believe that I'm alone in hoping that all ''British'' clubs do well in Europe. It has to be good for the English and Scottish leagues if our clubs do well in Europe. Good for the clubs, good for English and Scottish football and good for our economy. So, I cheer on all our clubs in European games. Am I alone in this thought and wish ?

Yes, we all know about the North London, Liverpool and Manchester rivalry etc, but come on chaps, be a little more forward thinking.

NOPE....I don't want assenhole or manure united to win anything.

I can't even spell their names properly.:c:

Mangle at least Older doesn't hide ,. Not like a certain potatoes fan who very quickly gives us two  barrels for any Arsenal  **** up  , very quiet from. The cheap seats ???????  Or perhaps he is having a lie in Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Here he is. Back to tell us that "the wheels have come off", "it's that time of the season" and so on and so forth. Where were you when you lost to Liverpool the other week? What a non performance your lot put in. And as for Gent, what a complete laughable situation that was. And you hid under your stone, until Arsenal lose. I think you are more interested in your neighbours results than your own clubs. Ha Ha.

Look, Arsenal lost. Liverpool, in doing the double over Arsenal in the league this season, have achieved a 6 point head-to-head advantage. Yet, they are merely 2 points ahead of Arsenal, with Arsenal having a game in hand. So, the mighty Liverpool march on, and Arsenal's season is in tatters. What a load of ......................

10 hours ago, Mangle said:

Here he is. Back to tell us that "the wheels have come off", "it's that time of the season" and so on and so forth. Where were you when you lost to Liverpool the other week? What a non performance your lot put in. And as for Gent, what a complete laughable situation that was. And you hid under your stone, until Arsenal lose. I think you are more interested in your neighbours results than your own clubs. Ha Ha.

Look, Arsenal lost. Liverpool, in doing the double over Arsenal in the league this season, have achieved a 6 point head-to-head advantage. Yet, they are merely 2 points ahead of Arsenal, with Arsenal having a game in hand. So, the mighty Liverpool march on, and Arsenal's season is in tatters. What a load of ......................

The wheels were off a while ago.

What manager would leave a world class player on the bench,see the difference 2nd half.

In Wenger we trust.lol.

A world class player. Blimey, I will take that from you. Admitting Arsenal have a world class player. Cheers. Suppose he would walk into any Spurs team. If you have watched his performances recently, which I am sure you have, you will have seen that he is not in the best of form. In fact, when he came on in the game against Preston recently (FA Cup - so he was a sub), he was awful. Yes, he is world class, and he is a busy player, which I think makes it look like he is doing a lot when sometimes he isn't. However, with him in the team, Arsenal drew the second half 1-1. In my opinion, leave it to the boss, no player is a dead cert. Season is not over yet, so let us see what happens.....

I really don't care what happens at other clubs ,but I do at Arsenal  , the club is at the crossroads  ,.  Three lost league games out of four is not good enough for a top Premiership team , The club needs to sort out Arsene future be it new contract or he moves on the players and coaches need to now what is happening , are they all having more of the same or are they fighting for their futures at Arsenal  . The board needs to grow a pair  and manage the club , not the financial side they are good at making money , but do they want to win at the top level if not pack their wallets and get out  , after all the club will be there a long time after they go it was here before ,Silent Satan , Ivan the terrible and Sir Fish and Chips . Can Arsene motivate the team ?   Personally I think a season out of the champs league might be a wake up call to the money men , with less income they might actually realise that successful clubs generate money ,. Not getting in the Champs league as a banker , there is now no top four , seven clubs are challenging for top four  , other teams are getting better ,   has Arsene and Arsenal stagnated  ? Is it time for change ? Big descions for the club but they need to sort it out now .

L

Times are getting bad.

Arsenal a top Premiership team. Really.???????????????????????????

The board needs to manage the Club.????????????????????? They have been.Stan bought a lovely new ranch last year.No one said anything .then.

Arsene Wenger motivating the team.LOL.

A season out of the Champions League.?????? Do me a favour.That is all the Goons have to shout about.

Big decisions. Im  myself. Why .??????? The Board have been ripping you mugs off for ages,along with Wenger.Why change.??? If Wenger wants a contract ,he will have one.

Oh ,I just love being a YID.

Then Ssssssssss  your club has been soooooooo so successful over the last twenty years  or not   , seeee  what I done there Ssssssssss.    Taking the mmmmmmiiiichael , or urine   over to you  appletise drinker :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Then Ssssssssss  your club has been soooooooo so successful over the last twenty years  or not   , seeee  what I done there Ssssssssss.    Taking the mmmmmmiiiichael , or urine   over to you  appletise drinker :thumbsup:

Try and look forward to the future.

Looking back all the time,is half your problem.

The world dont go backwards.

13 minutes ago, Mangle said:

SSS, you are like Trump, all mouth and no substance. You say things, and never back them up.

You are so clueless.If you want a political debate .i will have one.

So Im like Trump.

Well unless you are completely stupid.Trump was elected by the American people,and he is doing exactly what he said he would do.

Look after Americans.So I believe he has plenty of substance.

Please quote me things I have said ,that aint true.

You Goons are the one's spouting s££t.